Help Whit Pioneer Elite 97 Laserdisc player - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-02-2017, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help Whit Pioneer Elite 97 Laserdisc player

Hello all

I Just bought pioneer elite 97 Laserdisc player. Item was working when it let the seller. How ever player was not well packed by seller and i resieved it broken. I live in Finland and player was send from usa.

Player does turn on and give picture to tv. tray works. But the player will not read discs. Laser head moves but no disk is recognized. So i cant get it to play LD or CD. Does anyone know what could be wrong whit the player. This model is very rare in Finland so its hard to get it fixed in here.

Thanks for anybody ho could give me some tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaltonen-H View Post
Hello all

I Just bought pioneer elite 97 Laserdisc player. Item was working when it let the seller. How ever player was not well packed by seller and i resieved it broken. I live in Finland and player was send from usa.

Player does turn on and give picture to tv. tray works. But the player will not read discs. Laser head moves but no disk is recognized. So i cant get it to play LD or CD. Does anyone know what could be wrong whit the player. This model is very rare in Finland so its hard to get it fixed in here.

Thanks for anybody ho could give me some tips.
Could it be a standards issue (i.e. in US we use NTSC, what is used in Finland?).
post #3 of 9 Old 02-02-2017, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If it cannot play a CD then you have problems. It the CD spins normally and the player cannot read it then either the laser is bad, the ribbon cable between the turn mechanism and main board or the main board. This is not a easy issue. Usually the mounts for the loading mechanism break and the player cannot properly load the disc but if it is loading fine the issue is one of the above three items.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-02-2017, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
If it cannot play a CD then you have problems. It the CD spins normally and the player cannot read it then either the laser is bad, the ribbon cable between the turn mechanism and main board or the main board. This is not a easy issue. Usually the mounts for the loading mechanism break and the player cannot properly load the disc but if it is loading fine the issue is one of the above three items.
Hmm... I do not think that disks spin at all. I put dis in to tray and the player closes. Then laser moves to LD and CD positions. The disks do not spin.

Should the player clamp the disk and lift it before the laser tries to read the disk?

Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-02-2017, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Could it be a standards issue (i.e. in US we use NTSC, what is used in Finland?).
No NTCS and PAL ar not the issue here. Thanks any way.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-02-2017, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Hmm... I do not think that disks spin at all. I put dis in to tray and the player closes. Then laser moves to LD and CD positions. The disks do not spin.

Should the player clamp the disk and lift it before the laser tries to read the disk?

Thanks for your help.
Wanted you to try the CD as there are no NTSC/PAL formats issues when playing a CD. The tray should go in and drop down to clamp the CD; then after it recognizes the CD it should spin. If the tray does not go in and drop down as it should the the three feet for the loading mechanism are broke and the mechanism needs replacing.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-03-2017, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wanted you to try the CD as there are no NTSC/PAL formats issues when playing a CD. The tray should go in and drop down to clamp the CD; then after it recognizes the CD it should spin. If the tray does not go in and drop down as it should the the three feet for the loading mechanism are broke and the mechanism needs replacing.
Ok, all my Laserdiscs are NTSC so they should work. So i took cover of the player and loaded CD. Seems that loading mechanism is working. Mechanism drops down and grasp the disc. After that the laser head moves to CD and LD positions, but Player does not recognize any disc.

Seems i have issues whit laser or mainbord. Quite depressing.

One last think I have been thinking. We use 230 v electric system. I use step down converter for this player. Could the converter be the issue, if it does not provide good clean power. I have not used the converter whit any other devises.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Ok, all my Laserdiscs are NTSC so they should work. So i took cover of the player and loaded CD. Seems that loading mechanism is working. Mechanism drops down and grasp the disc. After that the laser head moves to CD and LD positions, but Player does not recognize any disc.

Seems i have issues whit laser or mainbord. Quite depressing.

One last think I have been thinking. We use 230 v electric system. I use step down converter for this player. Could the converter be the issue, if it does not provide good clean power. I have not used the converter whit any other devises.

As long as it produces a sine wave the step-down should be good. The power supply output stages are regulated so it in theory would only affect the power supply parts before the output regulation.

The white ribbon cable commonly goes bad over time but without checking it over it is too hard to guess what the problem may be.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-03-2017, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As long as it produces a sine wave the step-down should be good. The power supply output stages are regulated so it in theory would only affect the power supply parts before the output regulation.

The white ribbon cable commonly goes bad over time but without checking it over it is too hard to guess what the problem may be.
Ok, thanks for your help.

This is would have been my first true high end player (I have european CLD-2950 as my player). Too bad the were issue. I may have to write the player of as costly mistake. I have contacted few expert repair shops in Finland but they have no experience on this model.

Anyway thanks for your help. I really think ill get serviced player next time. Do you still sell serviced players?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page