VCR help Mitsubishi HS-U70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-09-2017, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
VCR help Mitsubishi HS-U70

I hope this is the correct area, I did not see a VCR specific forum.

Hello I have a Mitsubishi HS-U70 S-VHS Deck, it plays, but horrible video interference/ or maybe its a tracking issue? The heads been cleaned manually and properly by myself (a small strip of printer paper with 90% isopropyl alcohol, to the video head drum, moderately pressing and a careful revolution of the drum, and cuetip for the audio and record head.) the transport pulls in the VHS quite smoothy and begins to play, and i can manually track or autotrack- both try but can't get a good setting. Audio is pristine, video is well (see video), i have tried SP retail, and SP or EP recorded of multiple VHS tried vide S-video/composite and RF; Afterwards they play fine in another deck.

Retail VHS: /watch?v=YKaogkJrbC4

EP recorded (its pretty lofi broadcast recording i did way back in the early 2000s): /watch?v=87VS8WWpTQQ

Any of you fellows have a clue what may be the issue?; I googled this issue for quite sometime looking for anything.. to no avail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-10-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafu O'leanders View Post
I hope this is the correct area, I did not see a VCR specific forum.

Hello I have a Mitsubishi HS-U70 S-VHS Deck, it plays, but horrible video interference/ or maybe its a tracking issue? The heads been cleaned manually and properly by myself (a small strip of printer paper with 90% isopropyl alcohol, to the video head drum, moderately pressing and a careful revolution of the drum, and cuetip for the audio and record head.) the transport pulls in the VHS quite smoothy and begins to play, and i can manually track or autotrack- both try but can't get a good setting. Audio is pristine, video is well (see video), i have tried SP retail, and SP or EP recorded of multiple VHS tried vide S-video/composite and RF; Afterwards they play fine in another deck.

Retail VHS: /watch?v=YKaogkJrbC4

EP recorded (its pretty lofi broadcast recording i did way back in the early 2000s): /watch?v=87VS8WWpTQQ

Any of you fellows have a clue what may be the issue?; I googled this issue for quite sometime looking for anything.. to no avail.
The video heads have a small gap and if you get tape particles or something else stuck in the gap you need to take something like a chamois swap that does not have the cotton fibers and carefully clean the rotating drums heads individually (manually holding the drum still while you carefully clean the gap in the heads). Having something run over the heads while the drum is spinning will not removing something stuck in the head gap.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-10-2017, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
The video heads have a small gap and if you get tape particles or something else stuck in the gap you need to take something like a chamois swap that does not have the cotton fibers and carefully clean the rotating drums heads individually (manually holding the drum still while you carefully clean the gap in the heads). Having something run over the heads while the drum is spinning will not removing something stuck in the head gap.
Its a rather awkward position the heads, would it be safe to remove the head and clean, or even safe to use compressed air/ dust buster to help aid?

post #4 of 9 Old 03-10-2017, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Removing the rotating head is a big task. You could try compressed air but I always used the chamois swabs when simpler cleaning failed.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-10-2017, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

If you apply too much force up or down you can break the heads. You need to be careful.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-11-2017, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't attempt removing the video drum/head but i figured it would allow me to see the smaller heads better to clean. I did use some cotton free swabs, and then i carefully used a dust buster that might loosen something for the swab to grab any particles. EP tapes have improved Retail SP tapes still playing the same. I noticed that if I FF or REW i witness i clear image, pressing play its also clear for a split second before going back to a mess.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-11-2017, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a more in depth video: https://youtu.be/ptoBoSuJeyk

Am i just not doing a good enough job cleaning?
post #8 of 9 Old 03-11-2017, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

The video was good. Just verifying you know that the better machines have 7 heads around the drum, 2 each for 2 hr SP mode; 2 each for 6 hr EP or SLP mode, 2 each for HiFi Audio; and 1 for a flying erase to better erase data before recording. Along the bottom edge of the rotating part of the drum you will see little slots and that is where the heads are located. 4 hr LP mode works but not officially supported.

Now your tape you recorded I did see little bits where the came from the top and bottom and then the picture cleared. This is the tracking, after scanning you should not loose track and need to re-auto adjust but it is not as bad as the pre-recorded tapes. Considering all the video heads are clean then you need to make sure the two roller that pull the tape out are solid and you cannot turn the stems as that will adjust the tape path across the drum. I have seen the set screws come loose and the stems turn and sometimes tapes work and sometimes they don't. If all of this is good then something is probably going in the tracking circuit. But even random show points toward video heads, if there is a heavy vertical line across the picture and the rest light then that points more toward tracking. You almost need to get an oscilloscope and connect it to the RF envelope and look at what is coming off the drum. That would tell you a lot.

Personally I found Mitsubishi S-VHS or VHS machines the pickiest players to get correct and play without fault but they work fine when adjusted correctly.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-12-2017, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

I see; that definitely sounds like i would a professional VCR repairman to take a look. Thanks for all your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Mitsubishi , svhs , vcr , vhs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page