1Likes
  • 1 Post By jjeff

post #1 of 3 Old 03-23-2017, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Replacement for Old Devices

I have a special needs daughter who loves all the Disney, Dreamworks, etc., movies on DVD/Bluray. Currently, her collection exceeds over 600 disks. To manage, I have 2 sony 400 disk changers, DVP-CX995 (DVD) and BDP-CX960 (Bluray). Both devices are quite old and no longer supported by Sony. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I much future protect our video library? Burning to digital would be a daunting (and expensive) task, not to mention storage costs.....

Last edited by chobe; 03-23-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-24-2017, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 6987
Me, I wouldn't burn anything for backup, I'd just rip to external USB3 hard drives. Disks are cheap, especially compared to duplicating (purchasing) content and playback hardware if still available.

Ich bin hier und du bist mein Sofa
post #3 of 3 Old 03-27-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Me, I wouldn't burn anything for backup, I'd just rip to external USB3 hard drives. Disks are cheap, especially compared to duplicating (purchasing) content and playback hardware if still available.
+1
Basically any forum of optical media is a dead format, especially SD DVDs. Putting on a USB3 HDD not only makes finding things easier but quicker to access. Note you don't need to use a computer to play back the HDD, just look for a media player that has good HDD playback features.
It will take some time to copy all your DVDs to HDD(maybe 5-10 minutes/DVD) but far quicker than any realtime copying and to be safe once your done I'd suggest copying one HDD to another so you have a backup. HDDs while quite reliable do occasionally fail(as DVDs do) but while losing one DVD isn't probably such a big deal, losing 600 DVDs worth of material would really suck!
A 4TB HDD should be able to hold between ~500-850 worth of DVDs, depending on if they are DL or SL DVDs. Note you'll probably need to purchase a DVD copying program, the free DVD Shrink may copy many of your DVDs but due to newer CP schemes it won't copy all, especially Disney DVD.
During the copy you could shrink your DL DVDs down to SL size but note it could easily double or even triple your copy time and you'll incur some picture quality loss, HDDs are cheap and I'd just do a raw backup and not worry about reducing the size of your copy.
chobe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
playback , video storage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page