Pioneer CLD-M90 laserdisc audio issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kurtis Bahr

post #1 of 7 Old 03-28-2017, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer CLD-M90 laserdisc audio issue

Anyone with laserdisc knowledge, I'd love any help you can offer!
Recently I obtained my first laserdisc player. I cleaned it well, (the buttons were a bit dusty), yet when I went to play it the sound came through awful. Very quiet sounds of the film (like birds in the distance, ambient noise) sound alright, but anything louder than a whisper is terribly distorted and sounds awful. I've tried multiple laserdiscs, both the stereo outputs on the back as well as the mono output in the rear, different cords to connect to the tv and it all has the same terrible sound issue. I've opened it up and everything looks alright on the inside, but I'm not terribly familiar with these machines. I've scoured the internet to the best of my ability and can't find anyone with even a similar problem, much less a fix :/ It plays the video just fine, accepts and ejects discs great and other than the sound issue works magnificently. It is a Pioneer model CLD-M90; a laserdisc player with a 5 cd changer combo. I played a cd on it and the sound was just fine, loud sounds and all. All of the buttons work well, as does the display. It did not come with a remote.

When playing laserdiscs, the static and loud distorted noise is all on the right speaker, the left speaker emits no sound at all during video play (and this is the player- the speakers and all other attachments work very well with a few other devices). Any help at all would be immensely appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-29-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmartist View Post
Anyone with laserdisc knowledge, I'd love any help you can offer!
Recently I obtained my first laserdisc player. I cleaned it well, (the buttons were a bit dusty), yet when I went to play it the sound came through awful. Very quiet sounds of the film (like birds in the distance, ambient noise) sound alright, but anything louder than a whisper is terribly distorted and sounds awful. I've tried multiple laserdiscs, both the stereo outputs on the back as well as the mono output in the rear, different cords to connect to the tv and it all has the same terrible sound issue. I've opened it up and everything looks alright on the inside, but I'm not terribly familiar with these machines. I've scoured the internet to the best of my ability and can't find anyone with even a similar problem, much less a fix :/ It plays the video just fine, accepts and ejects discs great and other than the sound issue works magnificently. It is a Pioneer model CLD-M90; a laserdisc player with a 5 cd changer combo. I played a cd on it and the sound was just fine, loud sounds and all. All of the buttons work well, as does the display. It did not come with a remote.

When playing laserdiscs, the static and loud distorted noise is all on the right speaker, the left speaker emits no sound at all during video play (and this is the player- the speakers and all other attachments work very well with a few other devices). Any help at all would be immensely appreciated
Are the LD's you are watching AC-3 RE or dolby digital encoded? Also do you have analog or digital audio selected for LD playback. What you are describing sounds like you are playing AC-3 encoded discs and have the analog audio selected, right channel is the AC-3 RF bitstream and the left channel is either a mono track or commentary. The CD's sound OK as CD playback forces the player to Digital Audio decoding. LDs have analog and digital soundtracks and you select the one you want.
mtmartist likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-29-2017, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
Are the LD's you are watching AC-3 RE or dolby digital encoded? Also do you have analog or digital audio selected for LD playback. What you are describing sounds like you are playing AC-3 encoded discs and have the analog audio selected, right channel is the AC-3 RF bitstream and the left channel is either a mono track or commentary. The CD's sound OK as CD playback forces the player to Digital Audio decoding. LDs have analog and digital soundtracks and you select the one you want.
Looking over the movies that I have, all of them look like their sound is digitally encoded. I don't have the remote for this unit, so is there a way to manually change the audio decoding to digital? When I look on the player itself I don't see any buttons that relate directly to audio. If I can't change it without a remote do I have no choice but to find an original one packaged with one of these models, or is there a substitute I could hook up that could solve the audio issue?

Thanks again so much for your help and knowledge!

post #4 of 7 Old 03-29-2017, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Here is an example of what would work, it may be the correct one for your unit. It has a D/A/CX (digital/analog/analog with CX decoding for noise reduction) button and it has buttons for disc's 1 thru 5.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-CU-C...4AAOSwAuZX4jmc
post #5 of 7 Old 03-31-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Pioneer CLD-M90 Owner's Manual

http://e.manualretriever.com/lect.ph...cf8427e&src=15

http://dl.jehandleiding.nl/new/exter...eSC=M&direct=1

As you peruse the manual, pay particular attention to connections instructions & the troubleshooting section. This player does not appear to be Dolby Digital AC3 capable. It looks to offer only analog audio connections. Are you connecting this player directly to a TV - or to a home theater receiver? Do not connect the audio from the player to any digital or LD AC3 inputs on the receiver, as your player does not support these outputs. Look this manual over - hopefully something in here will help. Come back, tell us how you made out, and if you still need help, tell us more about how you have this unit hooked up.

A long-time audio/video addict!

Last edited by Rich86; 03-31-2017 at 04:06 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-03-2017, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

So I found a place online that sold the exact remote that came with my model, so that there would be no doubt as to the compatibility with my player and that it would have all the buttons I should need. I did manage to get the sound to function during playback, although not ideally. When I insert a LD, the player automatically switches to digital sound. But when I press the D/A/CX button on the remote, the audio switches to analog and the sound works just fine while the cables are plugged into the VHF adapter. While the LD is set to analog, no sound comes out of either of the stereo outputs on the back of the player. After trying six different LD’s and a couple of different setups, the audio works the same in all cases. With the VHF outputs and audio set to analog, audio sounds just fine, (although I did hear a semi-loud pop a few times). But mostly it works just fine (albeit mono). However, if the sound is left set to digital, the same problem with static-y and distorted sound happens.

The button D/A/CX button on the remote only lets me switch between digital and analog sound, is this normal? There was only one LD where I was able to turn on or off the CX noise reduction, and I didn’t hear much of a difference, and it was a LD where it automatically set itself to analog and I couldn’t (as far as I could see) switch to digital. All of the LD’s that I’ve played except for that one had the CX logo on their jackets.

The setup that I’m using right now is hooking the LD player hooked directly to my TV through the Red, White and Yellow AV cables. I have also tried hooking it up to the RWY inputs of my stereo system, and hooking my TV to the RWY outputs of my stereo system and have the same issues as when I connect it directly to my TV. Which puzzles me, because after thoroughly reading the manual (thanks again for linking me them!) I have tried it hooked up just like it suggests and I still have the issue. My stereo system only has two large speakers, a left and right one. I also tried whatever troubleshooting I thought would remotely apply and there was still no change.

The TV I’m using is a Westinghouse LCD [model SK-26H730S] and the RWY AV inputs have never given me any issues with any other devices I’ve used, including a VCR.
The LD’s I’ve tried (if it matters): are Jurassic Park [41829], Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves [14000], The Last of the Mohicans [1986-85], Sneakers [41431], Wallace & Gromit- a Grand Day Out [8304-84], and The Dr. Seuss Video Festival [ML100176]. (The Dr. Seuss one is the one that was set to analog from the beginning and allowed the CX noise to be turned on and off).

If there was any way I might be able to make my player play through the stereo outputs, that’d be amazing. Would I need to get some sort of an adapter for my TV, or is it even possible to do so on a modern TV? Thanks again, both of you, for all your knowledge and resources, it’s been a huge help.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-04-2017, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

OK, gathering CD's still playback just fine!!

If true then for the digital output with laserdisc using the Red/White jacks the lack of audio would mean the RF signal from the LD is low, either a dirty lens, someone adjusted the RF gain low or there is a power issue to the op amp outputting the audio. The digital audio will begin to break-up and become static and then quit before you really notice the picture is starting to degrade. It is more interesting that you are not getting the analog audio track from the LD's but it could also be the RF signal level the laser gets from the LD. You actually need to get an oscilloscope and connect it to the RF test point and measure the level, should be 300mV. Until you do that there is no way to tell where the problem is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page