Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan Hitchman
It doesn't list DVD+ capabilities, just DVD-

Dan

That don't mean they won't play. As the DV-656 will play them both, and it don't "show" it as being a + player by Pioneer either.

My Pioneer DV-F07 Elite 300+1 player plays all of them. Both + and - and in either the R's or RW's, and that was made before all the recordable DVD formats were even out and for sale. Most any new DVD player will play either the + or - recordable formats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 661 Old 08-07-2003, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, all Pioneer players starting from 520 (as far as I know, could be from 414) can read DVD+RW/+R ...

Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold. Lev Tolstoy
post #183 of 661 Old 08-07-2003, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I just posted that because it doesn't talk about being able to, just like it makes no mention of WM file support. If someone can prove otherwise, please do so.

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #184 of 661 Old 08-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hotstuff2000
Pioneer model DV-563A does have WMA playback.

THANK YOU

PIONEER CUSTOMER SERVICE

Since I tested this myself and it failed, I don't believe that statement. Has anyone sucsessfully played a WMA on the 563?

I think I can find someone with DVD+R/RW discs for me to try. I'll post any results I have.

BTW: I dug up a VCD and it played fine. I don't have any SVCDs to test though.
post #185 of 661 Old 08-08-2003, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Just picked one up at BB. I'll report bak later tonight. Also had to add $100 for audio cables to hook up the 6-channel audio
post #186 of 661 Old 08-08-2003, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

Also had to add $100 for audio cables to hook up the 6-channel audio

You didn't have to spend that kind of coin.

If you are of the view that cables make a difference in sound, then great, but if not, I would drag those cables right back to the store and get my money back.

On the way home, stop at a Radio Shack and by some of their mid-line stuff. You will be spending 1/3 the money.

Then take the difference and by some DVD-A's or SACD's to enjoy in your new player!

BGL
post #187 of 661 Old 08-08-2003, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't know of this is relevant or not (since I don't have a 563A), but my new Toshiba won't play WMA unless it is encoded at 64. Anything above that and it won't play.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #188 of 661 Old 08-08-2003, 01:51 PM

Well, I bought one and answered my own question. It definitely DOES play DVD+R discs. First, very casual impressions are this is a very nice sounding player; almost sounds as good as the Panasonic RP-91 it is replacing. Considering the Pioneer costs a third of what the Panasonic did speaks highly of it.
post #189 of 661 Old 08-08-2003, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got home and hooked it up. Only had a few min. with it as I have to go eat and cut the grass..priorities.
Anyhow, took it out of the box. Not much too it. Light weight. Tray seems nice. Turned it on and ewe, no good. So I went into the settings and found it was 4:3 interlaced. Changed to 16:9 progressive and voila, great looking pic. Tried a DVD-Audio (Queen) and SACD (Peter Gabriel). The DVDA has no bass, but multi-channel. The SACD only plays two channel. I'll have to mess with the setting on that later tonight. Have to go now. I'll return back tongiht after some time with it.
post #190 of 661 Old 08-08-2003, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

You do have a few buried menus you have to flip through on this thing in order to get to the settings that make it work like you want it to, like having it prioritize the multichannel or stereo DSD tracks on SACD's, etc.

I've only had one problem so far: my 563A refuses to play the second layer of disc one (the movie) on The Emperor's New Groove: Ultimate Groove Special Edition. It'll freeze and/or lock up at the layer change, and you cannot access any chapters that are located on that second layer (even via the chapter index on the disc's main menu). Still trying to determine if it's the disc (laser rot??!!) or a compatibility problem with the player and this title. Other Disney discs of that same manufacturing vintage play just fine.

Hmmm...

Dan

post #191 of 661 Old 08-08-2003, 03:21 PM

Hey Dan,

I checked my copy of ENG 2-disc on my 563 and had no problems accessing all the chapters... Perhaps there's a physical flaw with the disc?

Miles
post #192 of 661 Old 08-08-2003, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Miles,

That's what I'm thinking at the moment... thanks for checking!

Dan

post #193 of 661 Old 08-08-2003, 08:29 PM

One you set your preferences for multichannel/stereo SACD etc. do you have to go back into setup? The reason I ask is I have a HTPC with DVD-A via Audigy 2 and don't have a free video input to hook into the TV. I just want this to play SACDs and hope I can just leave it unhooked from the TV. Thanks.
post #194 of 661 Old 08-08-2003, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Riddle me this...Where's my bass?
I feel I'm a rather seasoned HT person but I can't figure out for the life of me why my sub isn't working properly. I get no output from the sub on DVD's, CD's, DADA, SACD. What's the deal here. I'm running a Denon AVR-5700. It's one think if there was a problem with the SACD, but even the digital out isn't working properly. I've tried most settings. The sub is working. I tested the receivers internal test tones. Any thoughts.
I have a digital rca cable to the digital in on the 563. I have the 6 channel out from the dvd into the receiver. I get audio, just no sub. Speakers are set to Large for the front mains, Small for the center and surrounds and the sub it labeled on.
This is starting to irritate me. I'm going to bed...someone please come up with a sugestion.
post #195 of 661 Old 08-09-2003, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe_R
Riddle me this...Where's my bass?
I feel I'm a rather seasoned HT person but I can't figure out for the life of me why my sub isn't working properly. I get no output from the sub on DVD's, CD's, DADA, SACD. What's the deal here. I'm running a Denon AVR-5700. It's one think if there was a problem with the SACD, but even the digital out isn't working properly. I've tried most settings. The sub is working. I tested the receivers internal test tones. Any thoughts.
I have a digital rca cable to the digital in on the 563. I have the 6 channel out from the dvd into the receiver. I get audio, just no sub. Speakers are set to Large for the front mains, Small for the center and surrounds and the sub it labeled on.
This is starting to irritate me. I'm going to bed...someone please come up with a sugestion.

Does your sub have a light indicator that shows a source? When my sub is receiving a source it changes from red to green. Have you tried a DVD-Audio disk? I would force it into the DTS mode. You should defiantly have bass in that mode. Try these simple test and report back if you can.
post #196 of 661 Old 08-09-2003, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Ohhhh, my mistake.
I woke up today and went at it. Connected my old DVD player up and the same thing....I started thinking my sub is on it's way out?? Look behind the sub and check the cables. AHhH, the sub had one cable out and on in, cancelling the bass. Doh, I took the sub out a few days ago and in my haste, put the interconnects on wrong. Sounds much much better now. I'm a happy camper

first impressions:
soundstage (2-channel stereo) much more precise than my Toshiba.
Video quality is excellent. It's an improvement over my Toshiba/iScan. I'll be playing today.
No back lighting on the remote...but since I use a universal, it doesn't matter.
Switches tracks (audio and video) quickly...much much quicker than my old Tosh.
post #197 of 661 Old 08-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

I posted earlier about this but wanted to follow up hoping that somebody now participating in this thread with the player who has this disc can check to see if they're getting the same results as me.

The Rhino DVD-Audio title Alice Cooper "Billion Dollar Babies" has a video interview that doesn't seem to play on my DV-563A.

I confirmed in another thread that someone who also has this disc *can* play the video interview on their Toshiba 4700 DVD-Audio capable player, so unless I have a problem with my particular copy of the disc, it seems the video interview should play.....

The behavior I'm seeing is when I select the 'Video Interview' from the main menu on the disc, I get the screen and graphic, but the up/down arrow keys don't seem to have any affect and eventually the 'Top' menu button lights up and the screen returns to the main menu on the disc. I've tried all sorts of things but nothing I do seems to make the interview play.

Someone suggested that I try setting the 563 DVD Playback mode from the default DVD-Audio to DVD-Video. This didn't make much sense to me since a non DVD-Audio capable player sees a completely different disc menu than a DVD-Audio player, a disc menu (ie from the Cooper disc itself) which *doesn't* include the option to play the video interview, which is a available on DVD-Audio capable players only etc.

But anyway I went to the 563 Initital Settings,Options,DVD Playback Mode, DVD-Audio/DVD-Video to try switching this and to my surprise it seems that I can't select DVD-Video as an option! No matter what I do the 563 Initital Settings,Options,DVD Playback Mode stays at DVD-Audio.

So it seems I have yet another problem.....

Can anyone confirm either behavior?

thanks!

--Don
post #198 of 661 Old 08-09-2003, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
" But anyway I went to the 563 Initital Settings,Options,DVD Playback Mode, DVD-Audio/DVD-Video to try switching this and to my surprise it seems that I can't select DVD-Video as an option! No matter what I do the 563 Initital Settings,Options,DVD Playback Mode stays at DVD-Audio."

Was the AC disc in the player? If so, take it out and try it.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #199 of 661 Old 08-10-2003, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Bump for this thread
I wonder if this player is going to be tested in the shootout anytime soon....I'd love to see the results...hint, hint Don and Stacey if you're reading.
post #200 of 661 Old 08-11-2003, 11:37 AM

Went to Best Buy in Manhattan yesterday...they had 6 of em so I picked one up for $179.

Got it all hooked up and so far have only listened to several redbook and a few SACDs (Police, Bruce Live in NYC and DSOTM)...all sound great. Threw several of my CD-Rs at it and they played beautifully without a hiccup. The Pioneer compares well to what my ears remember of the Philips 963SA. (it left several days ago) Perhaps not as refined, but very detailed, full and rich.

Watched a bit of the Springsteen Live in NYC DVD...one of my reference discs and the picture looks great via component hookup to my interlaced Sony. Then Gangs of New York. Colors seem a tad duller than the Phillips (less saturation), but I will be calibrating it with the Avia disc once the player has had some burn-in time.

I listened to some DVD-As as well (The Eagles, Aaron Neville)and they sound glorious.

So far, I am extremely pleased with this bargain player.

John

John Medeiros
wishbook@adelphia.net
http://users.adelphia.net/~wishbook/
post #201 of 661 Old 08-12-2003, 06:17 AM

After a day of happy use...I have just discovered a problem with my 563. While watching LOTR I noticed color banding. I have the component output hooked up to my component input on my interlaced Sony Wega. The player is set to Component Interlaced in the settings.

I then tried several other discs including The Recruit, Phonebooth and a few more and the color banding is pretty bad. I checked all my connections...everything is secured fine...and it was working great last night.

I tried the composite video and it was fine.

Has anybody else experienced this color banding with the component output on interlaced?

John Medeiros
wishbook@adelphia.net
post #202 of 661 Old 08-12-2003, 08:46 AM

I have an older 5 disc DVD C603 player by pioneer and a newer one that came with a pioneer HT in a box DV-353 and they both play the DVD+RW discs from my Philips 985 DVD recorder.

Picked up a unit at BesBuy and quess what? It choked on every DVD+RW that I tried.trys to read them and then just says "STOP".Seems like a nice unit and $160 was a great price but if it can't read +RW I couldn't use it.
post #203 of 661 Old 08-12-2003, 09:35 AM

Well I just went down to the local Best Buy and purchased one for 179.00. I'm replacing a Toshiba 2108 which I bought in 1998 for 599.00.

My current receiver the Sony 50es does not have a 5.1 input so I 've connected the 563a using the 2-channel out to the cd jack on my receiver. I'm not sure if the receiver digitizes this signal or not but it sounds really good.

The video presentation is much better than my Toshiba which was interlaced. My tv is a 46"mits HDTV so I'm sure if there where problems I would see then on a bigger screen.

I really don't see how anyone could fault this player for 179.

Rod
post #204 of 661 Old 08-12-2003, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jandr
I have an older 5 disc DVD C603 player by pioneer and a newer one that came with a pioneer HT in a box DV-353 and they both play the DVD+RW discs from my Philips 985 DVD recorder.

Picked up a unit at BesBuy and quess what? It choked on every DVD+RW that I tried.trys to read them and then just says "STOP".Seems like a nice unit and $160 was a great price but if it can't read +RW I couldn't use it.

I also tried a +R and a +RW (from a 985) with the DV-563A and got the same results. In all fairness, the box does say -R/-RW compatible with the usual asterisk disclaimer. However, two older Pioneers, a DV-414 (circa 1999) and a two-year old DV-444 had no problems playing the +R/+RW disks. The 414 was really a surprise.

There's a compatibility list at www.dvdplusrw.org and this would be the first Pioneer model listed that is a definite no. It's a bit of a disappointment that Pioneer took a step backward on this feature for this player.
post #205 of 661 Old 08-12-2003, 11:43 AM

OK..just got back from BB and exchanged it for another of the same unit. Hooked it up via component again and still have the banding in interlaced mode. Never had this problem with the Philips 963SA and I was using the identical Signal Component cable.

Hooked up the 563's S-Video and the picture is great and really close in resolution to the component...same with the composite, but the picture is a bit softer as expected.

I am going to get myself a decent S-Video cable and keep the unit. The fact that it plays redbook CD, CD-R, SACD and DVD-A so nicely is well worth the tradeoff of using the S-Video connection as opposed to the component. It is certainly a bargain at $179 for a Universal Player. I also like having the extra set of good analog outputs so I can run them directly to a dedicated headamp (at the moment my Denon AVR2000 amp)while the 6 channel outouts can run to my 6.1 HT receiver's analog input set.

The onsceen menus are also very easy to navigate and use.

John

John Medeiros
wishbook@adelphia.net
post #206 of 661 Old 08-12-2003, 11:46 AM
GMC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For what it's worth, my 563 does not do layer changes at all well. I never had any problems before with my Toshiba unit. Too bad! I really liked the audio portion, and the price is hard to beat. Oh well, I tried it.

Greg,
post #207 of 661 Old 08-12-2003, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I have played the following formats with no problems at all. CD-R,CD-RW,Jpeg,DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD-RW,DVD-Video,DVD-Audio,SACD DSD multi hybrid, SVCD,VCD. The only thing that it hadn't played is a CD-R with WMA music files,which I couldn't care less about. I watch video in Progressive mode and have no image problems. Layer changes are much faster than my previous player which was a JVC XV-SA75GD.
post #208 of 661 Old 08-12-2003, 02:37 PM

I have solved the problem of the component color banding. It is NOT the Pioneer player at all...it is the component inputs on my Sony Wega 36FV15. I have had this set for over 5 years and never had a problem.

Just to make sure, I hooked the Pioneer 563 up to my newer 27" Sony Wega in the bedroom via the component inputs. Beautiful picture without a trace of color banding.

So, if my alarms on this put anyone off buying this terrific bargain universal player...I am sorry..but there must be a faulty circuit in my old Wega's component video section.

Can't afford a new big screen just to get workable component inputs....so I will enjoy the Pioneer 563 via the S-Video connection on it till I finally break down and go for the HDTV

John

John Medeiros
wishbook@adelphia.net
post #209 of 661 Old 08-12-2003, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to hear it's not the player....
post #210 of 661 Old 08-12-2003, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinivey
I have played the following formats with no problems at all. CD-R,CD-RW,Jpeg,DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD-RW,DVD-Video,DVD-Audio,SACD DSD multi hybrid, SVCD,VCD. The only thing that it hadn't played is a CD-R with WMA music files,which I couldn't care less about. I watch video in Progressive mode and have no image problems. Layer changes are much faster than my previous player which was a JVC XV-SA75GD.

Kevin,

DVD-RW was listed twice. Perhaps you meant DVD+RW for one of them. Would you know what recorder and brand media was used in making the + DVDs? I used a Philips 985 and Fuji media and they did not play. The +R was finalized. Thanks.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page