Device not supported . . . why? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-08-2017, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Device not supported . . . why?

I have a very modest home TV setup that has not changed for a year or so: Sony STR-DJ7200HP TV, Sony BDP-S5200 BD player, Sony STR-DH720 A/V receiver, Dish Network satellite box. If I have a DVD movie on a flash drive, I can insert the flash drive into the USB port on the Sony BD player or the USB port on the A/V receiver or the USB port on the front of the Dish box. If I navigate to the Video_TS folder on the flash drive, I can play the movie from the flash drive. I hardly do this every day, but occasionally it is useful.

Recently I purchased a small external USB DVD-R/W drive - HP-DVD-556S. The plan was to be able to play a DVD or DVD-R disc from this drive through one of the USB ports in the system. But when I have tried this, I consistently get the message 'Device not supported'. Why? I don't think this result is unique to the HP 556S, although that's possible. There are numerous external DVD-R/W drives available - many in the $10 price range.

Why would the Dish box or any of the system devices with USB ports treat this USB DVD-ROM drive differently from a USB flash drive? Is there some intermediate cable or gizmo that I'm missing? Has anyone else tried this? Results? This outcome is not the end of the world, but I am truly puzzled as to why it occurred. Suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-08-2017, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5358 View Post
Why would the Dish box or any of the system devices with USB ports treat this USB DVD-ROM drive differently from a USB flash drive?
Because an optical drive is not the same as a hard disk or flash drive.

They use a different command set, ATAPI/MMC-2 instead of RBC. Optical discs​ also use different filesystems, so even if block commands would work the software wouldn't understand how to read the disc.

I'm not surprised support for optical drives is not included.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-08-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Why are you using an external DVD player to play DVD when the BD player can play it?

7.2: Yamaha RX-A830 | Klipsch Synergy F30 + C20 + Sub12x2 + Onkyo HTIB Surrounds | Epson HC2040 Silver Ticket 120 inch Grey Screen
5.1: Yamaha RX-V475 | Mirage Omni 550 Onkyo HTIB Center + Surrounds + 12 inch Sub | Samsung 55 inch Smart 3DTV

post #4 of 4 Old 05-13-2017, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
They use a different command set, ATAPI/MMC-2 instead of RBC. Optical discs​ also use different filesystems, so even if block commands would work the software wouldn't understand how to read the disc.
Thanks. What I was looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page