Pioneer CLD-D604 No AC-3 output - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-08-2017, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer CLD-D604 No AC-3 output

Hello, I have a CLD-D604. The AC-3 output does not seem to be outputting a signal. Connection is..... CLD-D604 output --> Yamaha APD-1 RF > AC-3 demodulaor input --> Denon AVR-3805. Tried coax and optical. However I observed no light from the optical cable. Which leads me to believe either there is not an output from the Pioneer or the Yamaha is faulty. What test(s) can I perform to the Pioneer to see if there is indeed an output from AC-3 out? BTW, I used laser disks that are encoded with Dolby surround for the test.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-08-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff55 View Post
Hello, I have a CLD-D604. The AC-3 output does not seem to be outputting a signal. Connection is..... CLD-D604 output --> Yamaha APD-1 RF > AC-3 demodulaor input --> Denon AVR-3805. Tried coax and optical. However I observed no light from the optical cable. Which leads me to believe either there is not an output from the Pioneer or the Yamaha is faulty. What test(s) can I perform to the Pioneer to see if there is indeed an output from AC-3 out? BTW, I used laser disks that are encoded with Dolby surround for the test.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Jeff
Let me verify, you are connecting the AC-3 RF coax output from the 604 to the AC-3 RF coax input on the APD-1, then the digital out from the ADP-1 to a digital input on the 3805. The optical output on the 604 is a straight digital output of the digital track, no AC-3 there.

Is this correct, you seem to have something different in your string above.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-09-2017, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post
Let me verify, you are connecting the AC-3 RF coax output from the 604 to the AC-3 RF coax input on the APD-1, then the digital out from the ADP-1 to a digital input on the 3805. The optical output on the 604 is a straight digital output of the digital track, no AC-3 there.

Is this correct, you seem to have something different in your string above.
Hi, 604 AC-3 out to ADP-1 in. optical or coax to the 3805. The 604 also has an optical out as well as RCA out. I use all three outputs. Some older disks are not digital so I have to use RCA out. I was reading an article about AC-3 laser disks. Seems there were no disks with AC-3 until 1996. I stopped purchasing disks in 1993. I assumed that if the disk cover had Surround sound stereo that the disk indeed had AC-3 encoding. Guess I was wrong.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-09-2017, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The discs with AC-3 have either AC-3 or Dolby Digital on the front. Surround Sound is more of the older Dolby surround type modes.

The question now is the ADP-1 if you are not getting any tight out of that I'm guessing it is bad. The signal out of the 604 is a 300mV RF signal with about a 4VDC offset and when you stop or pause the player the DC offset goes to about 0VDC. The DC offset is a mute function as some decoders would produce a chirp at the beginning of receiving the bitstream when not muted. The 604 will have an output when you play any disc and it is the ADP-1 function to determine if it is a AC-3 signal. This is because the AC-3 is encoded on the right analog soundtrack so it puts out the modulated analog track or the modulated AC-3, whenever is recorded on the disc.

Normally de-modulators like your ADP-1 have a lock signal when the AC-3 signal is detected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page