liteonit LVD 2001 how do you make it display 1080i - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-28-2003, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got this player and think its pretty cool. Not as good as win DVD platinum for playing files but it does a heck of alot at a very affordable price.

However, I cannot figure out how to set this thing to scale DVDs. does anyone know how you do this?

I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folk - Unforgiven cannot wait for the hd-dvd of this gem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-28-2003, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

anyone else have this player?

I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folk - Unforgiven cannot wait for the hd-dvd of this gem
post #3 of 20 Old 07-28-2003, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Hm. I'm looking at the LiteON PhoMaster LVD-2001 specifications page and it says "480i scalable to 480p & 1080i". To me, this implies that the player itself doesn't do the scaling to 1080i; it merely outputs a 480i signal (presumably over S-Video) that your display can scale to 1080i.

According to this review, the Sigma Designs EM8500 DVD decoder chipset that is used in the LVD-2001 won't output 1080i unless DVI/HDMI-HDCP is used:
Quote:
The EM8500 supports 480p, 576p and 720p, although it is limited to 480p for copy-protected DVDs, unless DVI/HDCP or HDMI/HDCP is used. The EM8500 can output up to resolutions of 1920x1080i or 1280x720p. Other resolutions are also possible since the scaling is programmable. However, the resolution is limited to 720x480i, 720x480p or 720x576i for copy-protected DVDs, unless DVI/HDCP or HDMI/HDCP is used.
EDIT: I just found this page at the Sigma Designs website which confirms what that reviewer stated:
Quote:
Our third-generation advanced scaling engine is capable of high-quality scaling of content to resolutions of 1920x1080i or 1280x720p. Other resolutions are also possible since the scaling is programmable. However, the resolution is limited to 720x480i, 720x480p or 720x576i for copy-protected DVDs, unless DVI/HDCP or HDMI/HDCP is used. (emphasis added--Scott G.)
From what I can tell by looking at the specifications for the LVD-2001, it doesn't have DVI-HDCP or HDMI-HDCP output. Without an HDCP-compliant digital output port, I do not see how LiteON can claim that 1080i output could possibly function. If they are outputting 1080i over component (which appears to be the only possible set of outputs on the LVD-2001 that could handle HDTV resolution), they must have hacked the EM8500 chipset to get it to work.
post #4 of 20 Old 07-28-2003, 12:32 PM

Lite-On LVP2001 DOES output all 480p, 1080i and 720p via its YPbPr out like other EM8500 chip based dvd players; but unlike others, it doesn't equip with DVI out.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-28-2003, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

So either the Sigma Designs website is wrong and the EM8500 can upscale and output HDTV resolutions (720p and 1080i) without the presence of DVI-HDCP or HDMI-HDCP, or the chipset was hacked.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-29-2003, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by peter caesar
Lite-On LVP2001 DOES output all 480p, 1080i and 720p via its YPbPr out like other EM8500 chip based dvd players; but unlike others, it doesn't equip with DVI out.
What television/plasma/projector was this tried with? Has this been confirmed? I need a good 'HD-DVD' all region player that uses component output since my TV only has 1 DVI input.

Thanks
Rusty
post #7 of 20 Old 07-29-2003, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have it and there is no menu or documentation on how to get the thing to output anything other than 480i. It simply is confusing me. Is it able to do this and the firmware isn't out yet? Or am i missing something?

post #8 of 20 Old 07-31-2003, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

anyone hear anything on this yet?

post #9 of 20 Old 09-05-2003, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank527
anyone hear anything on this yet?

Any updates on this? I am looking for a DVD player with component output that scales to 1080i.

I'd like one that has a macrovision defeat so I can scale all of my DVDs and one with a Zoom function so I can watch non-16:9 letterbox DVDs on my 16:9 TV.

From about 2 hours of googling, it seems the Lite-On can do this and for a mighty low price. I'm just tired of hacking at my HiPix card in my HTPC as I only have component input in my HDTV and my options are quite limited.

However, I'm yet to find anyone saying "yes, I have a Lite-on LVD-2001 in component 1080i mode with a macrovision-enabled DVD".

Anyone???

-Matthew
post #10 of 20 Old 09-20-2003, 10:57 PM

nerd-out has extensive review.

Try this link that I found from nerd-out. http://www.kitsapcomputers.com/lvd2001.htm

It looks like you can make this region free as well as macro free.

From one of the post there, "The p-scan button rotates between all the different types for PAL, NTSC and 640p, 720p, and 1080i".

One more thing it has liteOn 163 inside and it can play divx3, 4, 5 and Xvid as well. I wish I can get my hands on this locally so that I can compare this to Bravo D1 PQ and return one of them.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-25-2003, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just asked the same question of LiteOn tech support via email late last night--about 130AM . There was an email from them in my inbox when I got up at 830AM (good service!), with the same answer--the progressive-scan button toggles 480p AND the upscaled resolutions.

This player and the Momitsu V880 are on my shortlist not to replace my current player (a Panasonic RP-62 "A"), but because they can give me a rough-and-ready budget 1080i signal source for calibrating the component DTV inputs on my Mits. The Momitsu also has the DVI-I output which can be used with an adapter to feed RGBHV as well. My wife is foreign-born, and since both players can be made region-free allowing her to watch DVDs from her native land, this is just icing on the cake. I like the Momitsu better because of its DVI-I output, but the Liteon can be had including shipping from US sources for about 1/2 the cost of a Momitsu + shipping from Hong Kong. Decisions, decisions....

Hope this helps!

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #12 of 20 Old 09-25-2003, 11:46 PM
Ein
Advanced Member

The question is still unanswered. Was anyone able to output copy righted material either 720p or 1080i to their HDTV?
post #13 of 20 Old 09-26-2003, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Any updates on this? I am looking for a DVD player with component output that scales to 1080i.

I'd like one that has a macrovision defeat so I can scale all of my DVDs and one with a Zoom function so I can watch non-16:9 letterbox DVDs on my 16:9 TV.
The momitsu V880 will do all of this I think (not positive on the zoom).

I've got it and while it's not the best ergonomic player out there (remote is crappy, etc.) it's a high performer in terms of video quality, especially through DVI.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-27-2003, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ein
The question is still unanswered. Was anyone able to output copy righted material either 720p or 1080i to their HDTV?
I just bought the Liteon LVD-2001 today and YES it does upscale to 1080i to the YPrPb connectors and YES it does play copyrighted DVDs. If you assume that original (store bought) Chicago DVD has the copyright bit set, it does play.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-27-2003, 08:44 PM

How does PQ in upscaled 1080i via Component Out look compared to an RP82/Denon 1600 etc?
post #16 of 20 Old 09-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Ein
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mkruss
I just bought the Liteon LVD-2001 today and YES it does upscale to 1080i to the YPrPb connectors and YES it does play copyrighted DVDs. If you assume that original (store bought) Chicago DVD has the copyright bit set, it does play.
Good that we now have comfirmation. What about 720P?
post #17 of 20 Old 09-28-2003, 08:52 AM

hank527 and mkruss,

so how do you find the pq of the player through component outs? I am very much interested in getting this player and using it for my 34 xbr 910. Is it much better than a regular progressive scan player? Need your input please. Thank you.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-28-2003, 09:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Wow,this sounds too good to be true.Hopefully we will get some more input.

Shawn
post #19 of 20 Old 09-28-2003, 11:07 AM

I really can't compare the PQ to other HD upscaling DVD players. The PQ difference between 480P and 1080i is subtle. I found that the 480P showed a little to much saturation compared to 1080i, but your milage may vary with different HD sets. I have a 3 year old Mitsu 55" set.

One nice thing is that on the setup page, there are brightness, contrast and saturation settings.

I really can't tell you what the 720P PQ is, since my Mitsu doesn't handle 720P.

The only comparision I can really give you is that before I bought the LVD-2001, I used a CrystalImage scaler to upconvert 480i output from my old Pioneer DV-333 to 1080i and the picture was way washed out. With the new player, PQ and color is crisp and natural.

Of course comparing PQ from any DVD player, either at 480P or upscaled to 1080i, to the PQ of native broadcast High Definition is not a fair comparison if the source was recorded digitally.

A couple of other things that I have found out since I gave the player a workout last night.

I tested both +R and -R media and they both played just fine.

I burned a CD with jpegs (5 mega pixel, 800x600 & 640x480), Divx video files (prepared in Dr. Divx), mp3 files and an mpeg 1 video. Each type file was in its own directory. When the CD fires up, the Liteon gives you a display with icons for video, divx, music and pictures.

I tried the Divx files and they played perfectly. The video was both a DVD clip and a ReplayTV downloaded clip, so the source was good.

When you choose the music icon, music starts playing immediately (the first file alpha/numeric) in the folder. A list of the mp3 files comes up on the screen. At this point I haven't figured out if there are play lists or not. There doesn't appear to be too much control here. You can stop the playing file and then arrow to the track you want to play.

Choosing the video icon, the mpeg 1 file played as it should.

When you choose the icon for pictures, you get a prompt telling you that there are music files on this disk and would you like to play music in the background. There is no apparent way to let you choose which music file to play. It just starts playing the first alpha/numeric file it finds. It was a little disturbing playing Jethro Tull Aqualung behind family Xmas pics.

Here are some of the quirks with jpeg display. First off, I had 3 directories with copies of the same file at 3 different resolutions. When you click the picture icon and the first picture (alpha/numeric) displays and you are presented a file list. The file list COMBINES all the jpeg files it finds in a SINGLE file list (alpha/numeric). The files were named the same with small and medium appended before the ".jpg" for the downsized photos. The list showed 3 versions of the same file one after another. This was good to compare the PQ of the 3 files, but bad since the directories were not honored. The PQ of all 3 were virtually the same. The big difference was in the load time for the pictures. I had the slide show set to the lowest setting (3 seconds) and when the 5 mp file loads, it took 13 seconds to display the file (3 second pause and 10 seconds to load). The medium sized pic took 4 seconds and the small pic took only 3 seconds.

So the biggest quirk to these features is that there appears to be no real file control with directory structures. Since I only burned only 1 directory of mp3 files and with my experience with multiple jpeg directories, I have to assume that multiple mp3 folders would also be combined alpha/numerically.

There may be more control, but I haven't figured that out yet. As with all Asian produced and distributed electronics, the manual sucks. None of these features are fleshed out. I had to figure out that to change video settings, you had to press the "P-scan" button on the remote multiple times to scroll through the resolutions possibilities.

That said, I REALLY like this player. I bought it at PC Club for $139 ($149 online). I immediately burned the latest firmware (available from the Liteon site in Nero image format). I also read online that they are about to release a new firmware soon where they hint at having some new features. Hopefully it will address some of the directory quirks.

-- Mike --
post #20 of 20 Old 09-28-2003, 05:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thank you for the very detailed overview.

Shawn
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page