Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 746 Old 08-14-2003, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mpedris
Why don't you simply go with the Momitsu (aka Brainwave)? It's region free with DVI.

That's just what I decided to do. I ordered a Brainwave from Germany today. I'm supposed to get it next week, they are advertising that it comes with the updated firmware so I'm crossing my fingers that I luck into a good unit. Now the problem is how to cable up the darn thing, I'm afraid I'm going to have to put it under the projector and run digital coaxial around the room for the audio. I need about 15 metres of cable and that's just too long for the DVI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 746 Old 08-14-2003, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cristobal
That's just what I decided to do. I ordered a Brainwave from Germany today.

HI, do you have a link to the online shop?
post #93 of 746 Old 08-14-2003, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NickUk
HI, do you have a link to the online shop?

Sure Nick,

I used cyberport.de

I found the player on a few German sites -some at a slightly (very slightly) lower price but this site had the advantage of offering a telephone number, I called them up and ordered the machine no muss no fuss -English over the phone being much easier than fumbling through a German language order form. So far so good, they say the player takes about a week to get to Spain so I'll update when it comes in.

Cheers
post #94 of 746 Old 08-14-2003, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kris Deering
I played my region free version of "Irreversible" in its native PAL format upconverted to 720P on my PJ and it looked great. The PJ handles native PAL without converting to NTSC. This solution should work wonderfully for you.

Thanks for responding. As I've noted elsewhere on this thread I've just put in for the German clone -the Brainwave V880. I sincerely hope that you are right about it working wonderfully -wish me luck.

Cheers
post #95 of 746 Old 08-14-2003, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I received a LITEON MODEL XJ-HD166S Loader that MediocreFred used in his D1 with apparent success.

Now for the Good and the Bad:

Good: The characterization for the drive yielded excellent speed and performance data. It also did read the Firmware update disk which the Sony I am using did not.

Bad: There were two disks that would not start correctly (I've had this happen with the Fuss Audio) in that the first intro (would not be visible) and the subsequent image would get gabbled. A power down and restart would usually fix the problem.
Other disks were fine.

I will be receiving a Toshiba 1712 in a few days and will report my findings.

John

John
post #96 of 746 Old 08-14-2003, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jrannison
I received a LITEON MODEL XJ-HD166S Loader that MediocreFred used in his D1 with apparent success.

Now for the Good and the Bad:

Good: The characterization for the drive yielded excellent speed and performance data. It also did read the Firmware update disk which the Sony I am using did not.

Bad: There were two disks that would not start correctly (I've had this happen with the Fuss Audio) in that the first intro (would not be visible) and the subsequent image would get gabbled. A power down and restart would usually fix the problem.
Other disks were fine.

I will be receiving a Toshiba 1712 in a few days and will report my findings.

John

John,

Thanks for the update.

Did you manage to fit the loader flush inside the Bravo? MediocreFred had not tried it.

Also what were the two discs that did not work?

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #97 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a caution about the Liteon HD166 drive. They are very fast and that's why you hear them spin fast. If you press eject while a DVD is spinning, the tray may open with a disk still spinning fast. In my case, the DVD got scratched up and damaged. The newer Liteons have special protections for the disk because of this problem. Sometimes, disks were shattered due to the high-speed spinning.

I also had tried the Sony 1621 (which is a remarked Benq) and I remember it had problems with certain DVD-R or +R media. In the end, I used a Toshiba drive in my older DVD player.

I would suggest slower drives such as the Toshiba 1712, which has worked well for me before. The newer drives read CSS protected DVDs at 2x speeds, and that's exactly what you want... The drives that people don't want for ripping. Slow and quiet.

I appreciate the information you all shared and I will get a Bravo as well.

Rich
post #98 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich4av
Just a caution about the Liteon HD166 drive. They are very fast and that's why you hear them spin fast. If you press eject while a DVD is spinning, the tray may open with a disk still spinning fast. In my case, the DVD got scratched up and damaged. The newer Liteons have special protections for the disk because of this problem. Sometimes, disks were shattered due to the high-speed spinning.

Rich,

Thanks for the caution.

I have one question: IF one is careful NOT to eject while the disc is spinning, then can I assume that the disc will NOT be damaged?

In other words, can normal playback damage the disc? Or does the damage occur ONLY if ejected while spinning?

Thanks in advance.

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #99 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Manendra...........I did not try to set the LiteON JLMS-XJ-HD166S Loader into the D1 as I won't use it because of the two failures. I do not want to go the "Fuss Audio" type failure route . One DVD failure was "O BROTHER, Where Art Thou?", the other I don't recall.

I don't think this loader (Firmware Ver. DS14) has the "eject the disk while spinning problem" because I noticed it would stop before Ejecting the Tray, but again I wasn't looking for that issue. The unit does monitor for excessive vibration (unbalanced disk) and will limit the RPM's.

John

John
post #100 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 11:40 AM

After you put a new loader into the bravo remember that further firmware updates might not work. You can get around this by modifying the fluff.fuf file on the firmware iso. Remove the loader.bin from it and it wont attempt to update your dvd-rom firmware. Make sure you dont mess with the romfs.bin. Sorry if this has been mentioned before.
post #101 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by elmos_lemur
After you put a new loader into the bravo remember that further firmware updates might not work. You can get around this by modifying the fluff.fuf file on the firmware iso. Remove the loader.bin from it and it wont attempt to update your dvd-rom firmware. Make sure you dont mess with the romfs.bin. Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

elmos lemur,

Please excuse my ignorance, but I do not understand what you're saying here.

I have already flashed the new firmware for the Bravo D1 using the Fuss Audio loader. Soon, I plan to purchase and install the LiteOn loader. Are you saying that after I install the LiteOn I will need to re-flash the new firmware and that the LiteOn will not allow that firmware upgrade?

Also, both John and MediocreFred successfully read/installed new Bravo firmware using the LiteOn.

John,

Thanks for the response.

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #102 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
He is saying that if you attempt to load possible future versions of the firmware of the D1, it may try to update the firmware of the loader mechanism itself as well as the overall firmware for the D1, which would cause a problem as you have changed to a different brand loader.

BB
post #103 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Brandon B
He is saying that if you attempt to load possible future versions of the firmware of the D1, it may try to update the firmware of the loader mechanism itself as well as the overall firmware for the D1, which would cause a problem as you have changed to a different brand loader.

BB

Ahh! Thanks BB and EL for the clarifications.

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #104 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 01:39 PM

Having looked extensively at the Bravo firmware, I am 99.9% sure that in the current incarnation it will not even attempt to touch the loader/DVD-ROM drive's firmware. The loader.bin specified in the flash.fuf file is flashed to the start of memory on the Bravo, and is the Bravo's bootloader.
post #105 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 01:42 PM

I believe the dvd-roms memory is mapped to location 0. I could be wrong(have been before) but after looking at other firmwares that use sigmas it appears that this is the case. With this design they can update the rom of the dvd-rom drive and the sigma chip with great ease. If this is not the case where do you think they put it? Also have you tried to decompile the firmware. And if so what decompiler did you use?

I guess we could prove this if anyone tried to update using the new firmware and a different dvd loader.
post #106 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Deathwind
Having looked extensively at the Bravo firmware, I am 99.9% sure that in the current incarnation it will not even attempt to touch the loader/DVD-ROM drive's firmware. The loader.bin specified in the flash.fuf file is flashed to the start of memory on the Bravo, and is the Bravo's bootloader.

OK! Now, I'm truly confused

So, which is it: loader firmware AFFECTED or NOT affected?

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #107 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 02:06 PM

Quote:

I believe the dvd-roms memory is mapped to location 0. I could be wrong(have been before) but after looking at other firmwares that use sigmas it appears that this is the case. With this design they can update the rom of the dvd-rom drive and the sigma chip with great ease. If this is not the case where do you think they put it? Also have you tried to decompile the firmware. And if so what decompiler did you use?

I guess we could prove this if anyone tried to update using the new firmware and a different dvd loader.

I updated using the new firmware and a Toshiba DVD-ROM drive in the Bravo. It did not touch my Toshiba's firmware. I believe others have done this successfully as well. I'm rather sure the 0x0000 address is the beginning of memory where the Bravo's firmware is stored. Also, if you look inside the loader.bin file, you will clearly see the string "Jasper Bootloader v1.0.0 (Jul 8 2003 23:34:36)" (the cleartext message strings that follow this also suggest that it's the Bravo's bootloader, and not DVD-ROM firmware).
post #108 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 02:13 PM

DeathWind thanks for the info. I looked at your old mail on loading the other sigma players. Where do you think the dvd-rom firmware is stored?
Also i did the same thing with the Momitsu firmware and got it to load fine(no crashes) BUT again i couldnt get the buttons to work. I just rebooted it and pressed stop to get it to the boot cd and held down open.
post #109 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by elmos_lemur
DeathWind thanks for the info. I looked at your old mail on loading the other sigma players. Where do you think the dvd-rom firmware is stored?

Elmos,

Does this mean you agree with Deathwind that upgrading the Bravo firmware in the future will NOT change the loader firmware?

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #110 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 02:24 PM

Im not convinced yet. But in the future if they do have a dvd-rom firmware update either way it will hose your drive or fail. If we can figure out what file in the firmware iso updates the dvd-rom firmware we can then remove the region protection or update the dvd-rom firm without puttin it in a pc.

Update
DeathWind . After messing with the files and checkin out other firmwares I agree with you the loader.bin is not the dvd-rom rom. Sorry to have ever doubted you Tell me how the disassembly goes. I will try to do the same. Im gonna try with the GBA disassemblers I have.
post #111 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Where do you think the dvd-rom firmware is stored?

For now they appear to be leaving the DVD-ROM firmware completely alone during the Bravo firmware update process. As you said, this could change in the future.

As to decompiling the firmware binaries, I'm going to try to possibly tinker around with it some this weekend. My guess is that the EM8500 uses a 150MHz ARM system-on-chip design, so anything that can disassemble ARM-targeted code might have a chance at making some sense of it (i.e. gdb/ARMulator, objdump, ADS, etc.). I'm also going to try tinkering with the uClinux base some as well.
post #112 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mpedris
Rich,

Thanks for the caution.

I have one question: IF one is careful NOT to eject while the disc is spinning, then can I assume that the disc will NOT be damaged?

In other words, can normal playback damage the disc? Or does the damage occur ONLY if ejected while spinning?

Thanks in advance.

mpedris,

I think that damage only happens during the eject (which could have been fixed by firmware updates, by the way). I no longer have that drive and I must have done dozens of ejects until the weird one Also, a DVD player may spin the disk differently than a PC.

See this site for explanations as well as the latest firmwares and to make it RF http://digi.rpc1.org/165_166.htm

Rich
post #113 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 04:04 PM

Quote:

DeathWind . After messing with the files and checkin out other firmwares I agree with you the loader.bin is not the dvd-rom rom. Sorry to have ever doubted you

No problem!
Quote:

Tell me how the disassembly goes. I will try to do the same. Im gonna try with the GBA disassemblers I have.

I just finished building an arm-elf gcc toolchain, and my suspicion seems confirmed. Doing an objdump of the .o files yields the file format as elf32-littlearm and it decompiles them correctly. However, as you probably well know, even having it in assembly language it's not exactly as simple as just reading through and knowing exactly what's going on .
post #114 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Deathwind
No problem!

I just finished building an arm-elf gcc toolchain, and my suspicion seems confirmed. Doing an objdump of the .o files yields the file format as elf32-littlearm and it decompiles them correctly. However, as you probably well know, even having it in assembly language it's not exactly as simple as just reading through and knowing exactly what's going on .

Deathwind (Young Neo) -
This thread makes me think of "The Matrix" where the code just scrolls down green on the ship's monitors............

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #115 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Noyd
This thread makes me think of "The Matrix" where the code just scrolls down green on the ship's monitors............

"All I see is blonde, brunette..."

Oh wait, that's the DVD I'm actually *watching* on my Bravo!

See profile for new equipment list
post #116 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Deathwind (Young Neo) -

Thanks .

Actually though, it looks a little more like this:
Quote:

400: ebfffffe bl 400
404: e3500000 cmp r0, #0 ; 0x0
408: 12843010 addne r3, r4, #16 ; 0x10
40c: 10600003 rsbne r0, r0, r3
410: 03a00010 moveq r0, #16 ; 0x10
414: e5982004 ldr r2, [r8, #4]
418: e59d4004 ldr r4, [sp, #4]
41c: e0823000 add r3, r2, r0
420: e2433001 sub r3, r3, #1 ; 0x1
424: e1530004 cmp r3, r4
428: 2a0001f3 bcs bfc

It wouldn't be that bad if there just weren't 60000+ lines of it .

On a side note, since you'd be the only one here who would know, does anybody else from V browse here and know what all we're doing/trying to do to the Bravo?

Quote:

Oh wait, that's the DVD I'm actually *watching* on my Bravo!

What?! You actually watch DVD's on your Bravo instead of swapping various drives into it and messing about with the firmware? I'll have to try that some time.

Seriously though, I'm somewhat working on a webpage that aggregates all the loader info in this thread, along with firmware info, general info on the EM8500, and setting up a linux development environment to do your own messing about in if you wish (which I'd be further along on myself if I could get the uClinux-ARM kernel I'm using with gdb/ARMulator to actually find init in the Bravo's romfs). Once it starts to approach a level of readability, I'll post it.
post #117 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Young Neo-
I can't comment for the factory here, but I am interested in any efforts regarding better home theater and how Bravo D1 fans are using their favorite new toy.

Looking forward to your upcoming thread!

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #118 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I installed an older Toshiba 1102 DVD-CD/RW drive in the Bravo tonight. I used thin nylon ties to hold it in place (threaded them through the screwholes). It works fine so far and is absolutely quiet and cool. While the drive is RF, it would not play other region DVDs. However, if the DVD is not region-coded, it plays PAL DVDs as well.

Rich
post #119 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 09:16 PM

The only other possibility I can think of is that the R3/R6 DVD's I tested with could be multi-region encoded, and my older R1 players just don't want to play them for some reason or another. I have some definite R2 and R3 encoded only discs on the way so I can see if this is the case (and to test any further region-free attempts with).
post #120 of 746 Old 08-15-2003, 10:44 PM

Ok I tried a GP32 disassembler I got ahold of(ARM). It worked well. BUT I was thinking. The KISS player has a network adapter on it and this puppy runs busybox. I wonder if we couldnt get a telnet/terminal daemon running/listening on a kiss box and start debuggin that way? Whatcha think? Im also figuring the basic code is the same between most the player whats different is the libraries they include for the external components i.e. network adapter, usb, interface(LCD, buttons)
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page