Denon LA-3100 and Laserdisc in general - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-09-2017, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Denon LA-3100 and Laserdisc in general

Good day forum,

I came across what seemed to be an excellent deal on a Denon Laserdisc player. I have never owned an LD player and the format always fascinated me so I wound up with this player. When I got started in HT was the late 90s and DVDs were already on the scene and LDs were on the way out.......so I never put any time into researching them.

I have done some searching but can find very little info on this model and of course don't have an owners manual or even a remote. Heck right now I don't have any LD movies.....a few on order once I won the auction for the player but it made it before the discs did, listening to a CD on it right now.Drawer didn't want to open at first, cracked it open and found no problem. With the cover off it started opening fine and still is right now.

Any members have any info the can share regarding this unit? Maybe owners manual or spec sheet? Nothing on Deon website regarding any Laserdisc players that I can find.

What about LDs in general? What do you look for when purchasing? Another thought I have......I have read that S-Video on these is a crap shoot, but that is a moot point as my main system doen't support S-Video. Should I go ahead and run the composite straight to the tv or through my AVR which would convert to HDMI? I can also upconvert, but I had planned on letting the 480i signal pass to the tv without any upconverting. Trying different routes would be best I know, but I haven't even thought about humble old composite video in so long wanted to get my head on straight!

thanks in advance,

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-09-2017, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post
Good day forum,

I came across what seemed to be an excellent deal on a Denon Laserdisc player. I have never owned an LD player and the format always fascinated me so I wound up with this player. When I got started in HT was the late 90s and DVDs were already on the scene and LDs were on the way out.......so I never put any time into researching them.

I have done some searching but can find very little info on this model and of course don't have an owners manual or even a remote. Heck right now I don't have any LD movies.....a few on order once I won the auction for the player but it made it before the discs did, listening to a CD on it right now.Drawer didn't want to open at first, cracked it open and found no problem. With the cover off it started opening fine and still is right now.

Any members have any info the can share regarding this unit? Maybe owners manual or spec sheet? Nothing on Deon website regarding any Laserdisc players that I can find.

What about LDs in general? What do you look for when purchasing? Another thought I have......I have read that S-Video on these is a crap shoot, but that is a moot point as my main system doen't support S-Video. Should I go ahead and run the composite straight to the tv or through my AVR which would convert to HDMI? I can also upconvert, but I had planned on letting the 480i signal pass to the tv without any upconverting. Trying different routes would be best I know, but I haven't even thought about humble old composite video in so long wanted to get my head on straight!

thanks in advance,
Except for the LA-3500U Denon normally used Pioneer players.

As for what output to use, use the one that looks best to you. It all depends on the equipment you have and every piece is different. People get different results so you just have to try both. LD is recorded with a FM modulated composite signal so the base signal is composite.

Here is a link with a write-up

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/la...on_la-3100.htm
post #3 of 4 Old 09-12-2017, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has been a long time since I messed with anything pre-DVD. Fixed pixel displays really make a mess of 480i signals. The best PQ I could get was S-video to my AVR and let it handle the conversion and upcomvert to 1080p.

I have been half tempted to drag in my old Samsung CRT just to see what LD looks like when handles correctly.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-12-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
A good mastered LD with a good player could pretty much run head to head with DVD. Trouble is today TV manufacturers don't put much effort into the composite input. I've kept my Pioneer Elite plasma TV's as they are about as good as you can get for composite straight into the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page