Kenwood Entre Technical Discussions - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1016 Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Most Linksys devices have auto sensing for stepping down to 10meg speeds which is what the Entre supports. You already have the correct setup for wireless connectivity for the Entre but it cannot act as a quasi-media/dlna server for your PC. The Wind River OS was never designed for what you want to do.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1016 Old 02-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Most Linksys devices have auto sensing for stepping down to 10meg speeds which is what the Entre supports. You already have the correct setup for wireless connectivity for the Entre but it cannot act as a quasi-media/dlna server for your PC. The Wind River OS was never designed for what you want to do.

Thanks for the information. I just read one of the articles on the home page that no one has yet figured out how to access all the media available in/to a home such as DVD players, computers, media servers, and the various internet services, much less organize them for easy browsing of album covers, titles, etc. When they do we will have real media home automation.
post #993 of 1016 Old 07-24-2010, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi new to the group and new owner of this system. I have a HDD failure and was wondering if there is any way to reload the software onto another HDD? Is there someplace to download it? The old drive just clicks and cannot access it.

Any help would be nice. Not looking to send it in. I recieved this setup free.

Andrew
post #994 of 1016 Old 07-24-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:

I have a HDD failure and was wondering if there is any way to reload the software onto another HDD?

You're going to need a copy of the Entre OS and burn it to a CD. The software was on the Kenwood site many years ago, but it's hard to find these days. I've uploaded a copy to the web temporarily at http://public.me.com/dave.masters. It's in the Entre folder and called kenwood.zip. Search the forum and you should find plenty of conversations around loading the software to a 20 GB and 120 GB drive. 120GB is the maximum that you can install in the Entre. Again, plenty of information in earlier sections of this forum.

Dave Masters
post #995 of 1016 Old 10-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

I remember somewhere that someone had hacked the Entre to enable web surfing and email.

Does anyone have a step by step process that can pull this off?
Thanks!
post #996 of 1016 Old 10-23-2010, 02:56 PM

How they accomplished it was to edit a file in the Entre and point to a page that contained favored links to web sites and email. Look here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...05#post2770505
post #997 of 1016 Old 10-23-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow Dave I can't believe you would even remember us doing that. Seems like a lifetime ago! That being said, my two Entre's (well... one was yours!) and 6 changers are still alive and kicking.

Kevin

post #998 of 1016 Old 10-23-2010, 09:13 PM

It has been a while. One of my changers just up and died a couple months ago, but I still have two spares in the basement. If I'm ever home long enough, I'll change it out. There's an extra Entre in the closet as well.
post #999 of 1016 Old 10-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Have any of you guys had problems with some disks getting jammed?

I have a half dozen or so disks that seem to be to large. They get caught on the housing and get pulled out of their slots causing the changer to jam. I've pulled them all out so no problem now, as long as I don't put them back in. I can't decide if it is a disk problem or the plastic has warped above the disks. I can see them rub against the plastic parts that are over the disk as they pass under.

Is there any way to safely/successfully raise the plastic bridge/coverings over the disks so they will clear?

Thinking about adding washers to lift the bridge. Haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks-
post #1000 of 1016 Old 10-25-2010, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately not James. I've had disc jams in the past as well and short of trying to sand down the edges I take them out.

I did try to use my dremmel on one of the changers that jammed all the time and it seemed to work.

Haven't had a disc jam in over a year now. When I wanna watch one of the "jammers" I use the rental slot.

Kevin

post #1001 of 1016 Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Unfortunately not James. I've had disc jams in the past as well and short of trying to sand down the edges I take them out.

I did try to use my dremmel on one of the changers that jammed all the time and it seemed to work.

Haven't had a disc jam in over a year now. When I wanna watch one of the "jammers" I use the rental slot.

"...use my dremmel on one of the changers..."
I hadn't thought of that. I had thought of sanding individual disks.

Where did you use your dremmel on the changer?

Thanks for your help!
post #1002 of 1016 Old 10-26-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

My issue was where the plastic disc hood meets the disc loader mechinism. I could see the seem between the two plastic pieces did not line up just right. As I watched the discs go around during power-up (cover removed of course), I could see a lot of the discs hitting that piece. Once I used the dremmel sanding stone and made that piece even I haven't had a problem since.

The pain was taking all the discs out then blowing all the fine crap out of the changer!

Kevin

post #1003 of 1016 Old 10-30-2010, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Will the entre still lookup disc?
post #1004 of 1016 Old 04-02-2011, 11:13 AM

I am thinking of selling my setup anyone interested.

Entre - 120g hard drive.

DV-5900m - v3 may have a video issue but may have been TV mechanically it works well.

Linksys poweline ethernet adapter.

Possibly a Belkin Ethernet adapter.

A CD with all my hacks, mods, documents and files for the entre.

Any interest? I would like to sell it all as a set? Offers?

Fz1234

FZ
post #1005 of 1016 Old 06-15-2011, 08:26 AM

Newbie, I'd like to get the music from entre HD to PC, does anyone know how?
post #1006 of 1016 Old 03-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

I recently got the Logetech Harmony One Remote. I also replaced my Kenwood Soverign Receiver with an Onkyo. I understand I can still use my Entre Hub.
My question:

In the process of setting up do I use the Entre remote and not the Changer's
remote to teach the Harmony One remote?

also

Do I enter both changer and Entre in the devices section of the software or just the Entre as it will supposedly be controlling the changer?

I also have the Power Touch II remote that came with the Sovereign Receiver/Entre/ changer but I'm not sure where to begin with it?

Thanks-
post #1007 of 1016 Old 03-25-2012, 06:35 AM

Is the Entre' dead? Simple question. It's March 2012 and I'm seeing posts that are a few years old. When I mean "dead" I'm referring to Internet connectivity. When I go through the registering process I get to the step before ping and then a red x. It took a few times to get my static ip set up. So I was surprised when I did. I'm using a Linksys adapter connected to my router.

Briefly, my KR-V9030 developed a power supply hum (needs caps, etc) and I ran across a VR-5900 with an entre thrown in that functionally seems to work fine. The VR does what I need it to do. I only need analog inputs and am running a digital in from a Tascam US800 to stream from my pc.

I don't really need the entre but it's was nice addition to the receiver, so what the heck?

It's running 2.0.0.8. Are there any file edits to (I have kenwood.zip and kenwood120.zip) to make a new drive be able to conect to a server? And what server, if any, is running? Would it be possible to FTP into the entre' and edit files to make it connect properly? Also as klunky as I've heard Media Manager is, for the life of me I cannot find a copy to download anyplace from a site that works. Any help and tips on this?

I'm only wondering if the entre' is a boat anchor and if I'm wasting time trying to get it fully working as it was designed to. I've searched all over the web and it seems AV is really the only place for most recent (2010) info.

Any entre' aficionados out there still who could help? Does anyone still have one that's still able to get web info and connectivity? What about registering the unit (if still possible)? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and would help to update this thread.

.....or should I just go get some beer, drink lots of it, and stand in front of a fan? so's to speak!

alan
post #1008 of 1016 Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

I recently got the Logetech Harmony One Remote. I also replaced my Kenwood Soverign Receiver with an Onkyo. I understand I can still use my Entre Hub.
My question:

In the process of setting up do I use the Entre remote and not the Changer's
remote to teach the Harmony One remote?

also

Do I enter both changer and Entre in the devices section of the software or just the Entre as it will supposedly be controlling the changer?

I also have the Power Touch II remote that came with the Sovereign Receiver/Entre/ changer but I'm not sure where to begin with it?

Thanks-

They still are treated as two separate devices Jim. That's the way I have them config'd on my URC remotes (only few DVD buttons on the Entre remote work).

Kevin

post #1009 of 1016 Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supwiddiss View Post

Is the Entre' dead? Simple question. It's March 2012 and I'm seeing posts that are a few years old. When I mean "dead" I'm referring to Internet connectivity. When I go through the registering process I get to the step before ping and then a red x. It took a few times to get my static ip set up. So I was surprised when I did. I'm using a Linksys adapter connected to my router.

Briefly, my KR-V9030 developed a power supply hum (needs caps, etc) and I ran across a VR-5900 with an entre thrown in that functionally seems to work fine. The VR does what I need it to do. I only need analog inputs and am running a digital in from a Tascam US800 to stream from my pc.

I don't really need the entre but it's was nice addition to the receiver, so what the heck?

It's running 2.0.0.8. Are there any file edits to (I have kenwood.zip and kenwood120.zip) to make a new drive be able to conect to a server? And what server, if any, is running? Would it be possible to FTP into the entre' and edit files to make it connect properly? Also as klunky as I've heard Media Manager is, for the life of me I cannot find a copy to download anyplace from a site that works. Any help and tips on this?

I'm only wondering if the entre' is a boat anchor and if I'm wasting time trying to get it fully working as it was designed to. I've searched all over the web and it seems AV is really the only place for most recent (2010) info.

Any entre' aficionados out there still who could help? Does anyone still have one that's still able to get web info and connectivity? What about registering the unit (if still possible)? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and would help to update this thread.

.....or should I just go get some beer, drink lots of it, and stand in front of a fan? so's to speak!

alan

Nope. OpenGlobe still works so it sounds like you may either have an unsupported USB=>Ethernet adapter or you are running through a router/switch that does not support stepdown to 10mb (I use a switch which can handle both speeds because the Entre only supports 10mb).

The kenwood zip files we put together years ago allows you to create an ISO to load into the Entre, then hold down the power button on the Entre for 5 seconds and it will recreate the partitions to the original or larger 120gb size.

It is possible to FTP for custom GUI manipulation but you must also have the Entre command to open up the port first (not sure if anyone has that anymore), but without it won't allow FTP.

That being said without the changers I'm not sure its worth it with all the other media/mp3 avenues these days (I would say it's a boat anchor).

Kevin

post #1010 of 1016 Old 03-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

I'm having problems with my Entre. mad.gif I remembered something about holding down the power button. Now I get no response except the flashing red light on front. Isn't there a button combination on the remote or front of the Entre that might help?
Thanks- If you don't mind please post here and post my AVS box with your reply.smile.gif
post #1011 of 1016 Old 03-08-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep hold down power till you hear the two distinct "whines" but if that doesn't work then most likely your HD is Kaput!

BTW - looks like Openglobe is no longer working. Can anyone confirm??

Kevin

post #1012 of 1016 Old 03-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. but the red light is still blinking. confused.giffrown.gifmad.gifconfused.giffrown.gifmad.gif
I can hear something moving inside but no whine. Disc tray comes out but I can't find the last update version. Not sure it would do he trick anyway.
Anyone else have any ideas? Anything would be appreciated. As little as I have used it over the years I have a hard time swallowing what is probably true-dead HD!
Thanks-
post #1013 of 1016 Old 03-14-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

DESPERATE !!
Does anyone have 2.008 on disk that I can borrow, have, or purchase. I believe it was the latest update.eek.gif
post #1014 of 1016 Old 03-18-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I'm having problems with my Entre. mad.gif I remembered something about holding down the power button. Now I get no response except the flashing red light on front.

I am also in need of a hard drive image. I bought a used Entre that seemed to work fine except I couldn't get it to register. I selected the factory reset option and now I have had nothing but the flashing light for days. 

post #1015 of 1016 Old 05-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Hmmm.... Radioio stations have been down for me for the past few days but shoutcast still fine.....went to there home page and they still work online ..... any thought on how to help me get my DEAD station as well as others(jam bands, Bluegrass) back up and running smoothly..... Cant fig out the url for the streams-? Oh and also had to remove all my disc from one changer to replace the lazer mech from my parts stash and have yet to restock it along with some new ones that Ive been meaning to put in so is openglobe or whatever the disc/movie info still working for everyone?-THanks
post #1016 of 1016 Old 08-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am actually looking for the older software for the Entre. The one that supports the CD changers, NOT the DVD changers. Anyone know where it can be had?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page