Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1015 Old 10-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nick,

Using your FTP application, download the entire directory structure from the very top. This should be a 1-step procedure, though it may take some time to complete.

Once it's all on your hard drive, you can use Windows to search the contents of all the files in that directory structure on your hard drive.

Once you identify the file(s) modified, you may not need to go through this procedure again the next time.

[edit] I should add that this should work in theory. I have not done this myself, so I'm not absolutely certain it will work. But I see no reason why it shouldn't[/edit]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1015 Old 10-28-2003, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JonDeutsch
Nick, Using your FTP application, download the entire directory structure from the very top. This should be a 1-step procedure, though it may take some time to complete. Once it's all on your hard drive, you can use Windows to search the contents of all the files in that directory structure on your hard drive. Once you identify the file(s) modified, you may not need to go through this procedure again the next time. [edit] I should add that this should work in theory. I have not done this myself, so I'm not absolutely certain it will work. But I see no reason why it shouldn't[/edit]

That is sort of how I do it. I use CuteFTP to sync up the Entre directory and my like PC directory. It will download (sync) new or changed files. (Optionly to sync is just "drag and drop" that "DVDs" directory to a one_time_use temp directory on your PCs harddisk. Then do searches from there.)

I sync this:
7.0.5\\\\Database\\Movies\\DVDs
with this:
D:\\ENTRE\\705\\Database\\Movies\\DVDs

Then I use XP search or Superior Search to find the *.XML file I want to edit. (I've had some strange results with XP search at times. Like not finding files I knew were there!)

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #93 of 1015 Old 10-28-2003, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nick,

Using your FTP application, download the entire directory structure from the very top. This should be a 1-step procedure, though it may take some time to complete.

Once it's all on your hard drive, you can use Windows to search the contents of all the files in that directory structure on your hard drive.

Once you identify the file(s) modified, you may not need to go through this procedure again the next time.

[edit] I should add that this should work in theory. I have not done this myself, so I'm not absolutely certain it will work. But I see no reason why it shouldn't[/edit]

Thanks, Jon. I had actually done something very similar to this, i.e, copied all the files to my hard drive, and then searched the "dummy Entre." That works, as Scott showed me how to search it, but, as I add discs (which I did yesterday) I don't want to have to recopy the entire Entre again, just to find out where, say, two or three new discs get placed. Your system will work, but I'm thinking that I may have to repeat the process as I add discs. I should have been more clear on that.

If what I've said is wrong, then I am all for being corrected on this one. You guys are the experts, I'm just the willing beta tester.

Thanks,

Nick
post #94 of 1015 Old 10-28-2003, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Satullo
If what I've said is wrong, then I am all for being corrected on this one. You guys are the experts, I'm just the willing beta tester.

Nick, I'm guessing we were typing at the "same" time and you missed my update about only worrying about the "DVDs" directory and below with either syncing or downloading a temp versions of it. It is not much data if you start from that directory so it should go quick.

Attached is my CuteFTP sync options. NOTE {NOTE} it says "Mirror Remote (Make local just like remote)" i.e copy from the Entre to your PC and not from the PC to your Entre. It may be easier just to drag and drop DVDs to a temp for you, however.
LL

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #95 of 1015 Old 10-28-2003, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ScottF200
Nick, I'm guessing we were typing at the "same" time and you missed my update about only worrying about the "DVDs" directory and below with either syncing or downloading a temp versions of it. It is not much data if you start from that directory so it should go quick.

Attached is my CuteFTP sync options. NOTE {NOTE} it says "Mirror Remote (Make local just like remote)" i.e copy from the Entre to your PC and not from the PC to your Entre. It may be easier just to drag and drop DVDs to a temp for you, however.

Exactly right. As soon as I saw what you were talking about, I copied the existing DVD directory (still took 5 minutes or so . . . ) and found the Sherlock Holmes discs. I then substantially revised the xml files, including a full description from the internet (forgetting what you'd told me about the dreaded apostrophe . . . but in a failry chunky paragraph, nary an apostrophe to be found), as well as actors, years, the whole bit.

You could now never tell that this did not come from OpenGlobe . . . unless you consider that my home-brewed version contains better and more information than OpenGlobe provides.

Thanks,

Nick
post #96 of 1015 Old 10-29-2003, 06:00 AM

I haven't had enough time to try even adding cover art here, but what Nick is doing is really the goal. One thing that I know is that it is possible to export one's DVD Profiler database into XML. I wonder if there is any translation possible, i.e., some sort of automated method to go directly from the DVD Profiler data into a format that the Entre can accept.

Regards,

Robert
post #97 of 1015 Old 10-29-2003, 06:33 AM

Have any of y'all hacked into the machines with Telnet? It's kind of interesting if you want to control the device. I'm using a Fireball and have hacked up a little Access/vb application that let's me use my PC as a remote control....

Just telnet to the device on port 251 and send the commands in Appendix D of the manual.

Kind of fun.
post #98 of 1015 Old 10-29-2003, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rbienstock
I haven't had enough time to try even adding cover art here, but what Nick is doing is really the goal. One thing that I know is that it is possible to export one's DVD Profiler database into XML. I wonder if there is any translation possible, i.e., some sort of automated method to go directly from the DVD Profiler data into a format that the Entre can accept.

Wow. Now there we just took a turn I didn't fully expect. I didn't realyze DVD Profiler could export XML. Of course, it's "definition" (layout/structure/DTD) are different but there are possibilities. Not to mention title differences.

Envision an application that
a) FTPs to the Entre to get all XML files defining the DVDs.
b) Let's you click on the DVD titles from a list and then brings up a diaglog which allows you to edit descriptions/authors etc.
and/or
c) on the right hand side of the dialog is a list of DVD titles extracted from your DVD profiler XML file.
d) highlight a title DVD title from the Entre on the left and the "corresponding" DVD title from the DVD Profiler on the right and then click "Sync description" or "Sync actors".
e) click on another button that is for "Sync title with Entre" where the highlighted title on the left will have it's corresponding Entre_named_XML file FTP'd back to the correct directory on the Entre (i.e. s6/s7)

Of course most would be thrilled with just a, b and e. Cutting-n-pasting the overview/description is pretty trivial into an edit box in a dialog.

DVD Profiler XML example.

{snip}

Sherlock Holmes Collection: Volume One
{snip}

Basil
Rathbone
Sherlock Holmes

{snip}

The master detective Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone) and his faithful cohort Dr. Watson (Nigel Bruce) are back, preserved and digitally restored in 35mm to original condition by theiUCLA Film andiTelevision Archive. This newly restored version of the classic film includes the period war bond tag, studio logo and credits from its original theatrical release. Filled with ominous shadows and interesting camera angles, the visual beauty of the film in 35mm is stunning.
Contains four classic feature films:
Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror (1942)
When taunting saboteurs warn of a Nazi invasion of the British Isles throughia horrific radio menace, the British intelligence's Inner Council calls in Sherlock Holmes to help in the crisis.
{snip}
Holmes and Watson are summoned to Musgrave Manor to investigate a murder. Holmes solves a complicated puzzle of an ancient family ritual to expose the murderer.
2003-10-29

Well off to work coding MVS (z/OS) assembler language...pays the bills (i.e. HT bills Scott)

post #99 of 1015 Old 10-29-2003, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cbeebe
Have any of y'all hacked into the machines with Telnet? It's kind of interesting if you want to control the device. I'm using a Fireball and have hacked up a little Access/vb application that let's me use my PC as a remote control....
Just telnet to the device on port 251 and send the commands in Appendix D of the manual.
Kind of fun.

I only have a vague understanding here of sending those commands to the Fireball (Entre enable these?). I wonder if you could send a UDP packet with that command sequence?

Keyboard/Remote commands are interesting. Do you know if the below three are talking about "Passthru". I was thinking someone here wanted a "discrete" command like 43 below.
Quote:

10 41 Guide (toggles between Guide and Player) **
10 42 Guide Explicit (always goes to Guide) **
10 43 Player Explicit (always goes to Player) **

post #100 of 1015 Old 10-29-2003, 07:16 AM

I don't know about UDP.

This stuff is pretty easy to try out though. Use Hyperterminal or DOS TELNET to connect to the ip address of the device on port 251. Then you can type commands in and see what happens.

The Fireball Owners manual has a decent appendix D that explains the command structure (ex. "ESCX1008" = Power On). Try typing that in to see if it works....
post #101 of 1015 Old 10-29-2003, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

As one of the few chaps on this board who uses his Sovereign system primarily for musical enjoyment, I am very interested in collaborating with someone to build the following Entre app:

A webpage (accessible from the OpenGlobe section of the Entre) that allows me to search my library of song titles, locate the discs the song is on, and play it.

Now, this would be a pretty hefty app considering the limitations of the architecture, but I do think it is at least possible.

Here's how I envision this being possible:

1. Host a webserver on your local PC (most Windows machines can do this with very little configuration)
2. Create a batch program that "syncs" the Entre with your PC (daily, weekly, whatever)
3. Build an simple web app (asp, jsp, php, whatever) that is able to index and search this "mirrored" Entre on your HD, and return results based upon your search criteria in a webpage.
4. Modify the OpenGlobe homepage on the Entre to link to this internally hosted app on your local server. This link could simply be "search my library" or the form could be right on the homepage. However you wanted to do it.

Now, to the more advanced/adventurous part... making the results list dynamic... allowing the user to actually CLICK on a result, and have the Entre play the track that you clicked on!

5. Get more acquainted with the TELNET command set for the Entre, and learn how to build a command to play a disc, and track. Build this logic into the results links in your web app you've built.

The user process should be simple: Click on the OpenGlobe button (which is labeled "web" on my universal remote, more appropriately), click on the "search my library" link, and then type in the keyword you want to search for. The web server would execute the local app, and respond with a webpage that displays the results on the Entre UI. Then... the tricky part...the results page has links that launch a TELNET session and script (generated by the commands embedded in the link) that commands the the Entre to play the track by selecting the disc, and then track #.

What do you guys think?
post #102 of 1015 Old 10-29-2003, 08:50 AM

Scott,

It doesn't have anything to do with Passthru -- it's basically saying take me to the "Now Playing" screen or take me to the "Guide" screen. Just like what happens when you press the guide button on the remote. This is just giving you discrete codes for both ... vs. a toggle.

hm

Quote:

Originally posted by ScottF200
I only have a vague understanding here of sending those commands to the Fireball (Entre enable these?). I wonder if you could send a UDP packet with that command sequence?

Keyboard/Remote commands are interesting. Do you know if the below three are talking about "Passthru". I was thinking someone here wanted a "discrete" command like 43 below.

post #103 of 1015 Old 10-29-2003, 08:54 AM

Has anyone tried copying mp3s from the computer to the entre yet? Where are you putting them? Haven't had a lot of time lately but finally ftped into my entre last night. Very cool. Great job guys.

Jason
post #104 of 1015 Old 10-29-2003, 09:53 AM

Quote:

5. Get more acquainted with the TELNET command set for the Entre, and learn how to build a command to play a disc, and track. Build this logic into the results links in your web app you've built.

The user process should be simple: Click on the OpenGlobe button (which is labeled "web" on my universal remote, more appropriately), click on the "search my library" link, and then type in the keyword you want to search for. The web server would execute the local app, and respond with a webpage that displays the results on the Entre UI. Then... the tricky part...the results page has links that launch a TELNET session and script (generated by the commands embedded in the link) that commands the the Entre to play the track by selecting the disc, and then track #.

What do you guys think? [/b]

Jon. I love the idea. The telnet stuff is pretty straightforward. I have a vb/access app running on my pc now that allows me to pick, play, stop, etc.

c
post #105 of 1015 Old 10-29-2003, 06:16 PM

Scott, Cbeebe,

Are the telnet commands for discrete guide and player screens matched by a corresponding IR code? If so, that could solve a remote setup problem I've struggled with since I got the Sovereign system...

Mike
post #106 of 1015 Old 10-29-2003, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mkellyvich

Are the telnet commands for discrete guide and player screens matched by a corresponding IR code? If so, that could solve a remote setup problem I've struggled with since I got the Sovereign system...

Mike

Mike,
I'm not sure....it seems like there probably is an IR equivalent but I have no idea of how to determine it.

Curtis
post #107 of 1015 Old 10-30-2003, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mike,

If you really want to figure that out, you would have to buy a jp1 compatible remote, go to the jp1 group and learn how to decipher the device type and protocol that was used to build the IR code list for the entre. You could then program a jp1 remote with the device code and try all 255 advanced codes to see if one of them is the discrete you are looking for.

It's on my to do list since my jp1 remote has reached it's limit in learned commands. I had to learn all the entre commands. so next i have to figure out how the device protocol used from analysing the learned signals. one of these days

rather be lucky than good.
post #108 of 1015 Old 10-30-2003, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://store.yahoo.com/bestdeals/max20gig54.html

in case anyone wants to buy a replacement for their entre as backup. i am not sure if it will work, but technically i don't see why not.

post #109 of 1015 Old 10-30-2003, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.upgrade-solution.com/detail.cfm?PID=745

this one is $40 bucks. that is cheap insurance.

does anyone know what type of drive is inside the entre?

post #110 of 1015 Old 10-30-2003, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hopefully one of us will document a process to image the entre's drive, remove a failed drive, replace with new one, and re-image the contents back.

post #111 of 1015 Old 10-30-2003, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by slocko
does anyone know what type of drive is inside the entre?

Yes. You do . Look at the file you uploaded from when hook up your laptop to the serial port on the Entre.

post #112 of 1015 Old 10-30-2003, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i also took pictures of the inside, but i was hoping somebody had the information of the top of their heads!!!

post #113 of 1015 Old 10-30-2003, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i also took pictures of the inside, but i was hoping somebody had the information of the top of their heads!!!

Slocko, fom the file you uploaded (serial port sniffed) this is the drive. Correct? Same as you picture shows? http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...st320410a.html

post #114 of 1015 Old 10-30-2003, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

it looks like the same one, but here is an exact match:

http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?un=159408&s=1

post #115 of 1015 Old 10-30-2003, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it looks like the same one, but here is an exact match:

http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?un=159408&s=1

Your link is "bad". The model number in your and NiteOwls serial stiffed file was "st320410a". Your link may be bad because I had bought the only harddisk that they showed was in stock earlier today. I had actually found that place and a few others using froogle.google at least a week ago but didn't pull the trigger. Thanks for the reminder. I'm backing up my harddisk before it's too late.

post #116 of 1015 Old 10-30-2003, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Scott, you probably did buy the last one in stock!!!

I didn't realize that was such a good price till now.

post #117 of 1015 Old 10-31-2003, 11:35 AM

Still trying to copy mp3s from my computer to the Entre. So far I've tried uploading one file to 7.0.6/Media/9m/9m. There was already one mp3 there that I ripped using the entre. Did a reboot, didn't show up. So I thought I would try deleting the 7.0.5//Database/Music/Groups/MP3s/MP3s.xml file. After rebooting and rebuilding the library it still didn't show up. Any ideas what to try next?

Also I've been trying to filter the info in this thread to a faq format. You can view it at http://homepage.mac.com/jbryer/Entre.txt. If you'd like PM with any questions or answers you have and I'll add it to the document.

Thanks,
Jason
post #118 of 1015 Old 10-31-2003, 11:50 AM

Jason,

Just for clarification to your FAQ, according the partition definition file for a 20GB Entre -- The 7.0.6, 7.0.7, 7.0.8, and 7.0.9 are all media partitions.

hm

Quote:

Originally posted by stickman
Still trying to copy mp3s from my computer to the Entre. So far I've tried uploading one file to 7.0.6/Media/9m/9m. There was already one mp3 there that I ripped using the entre. Did a reboot, didn't show up. So I thought I would try deleting the 7.0.5//Database/Music/Groups/MP3s/MP3s.xml file. After rebooting and rebuilding the library it still didn't show up. Any ideas what to try next?

Also I've been trying to filter the info in this thread to a faq format. You can view it at http://homepage.mac.com/jbryer/Entre.txt. If you'd like PM with any questions or answers you have and I'll add it to the document.

Thanks,
Jason

post #119 of 1015 Old 10-31-2003, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My guess Jason is that an entry needs to be written to the database file. Unfortunately it's a propietary database. It can be done though since that is the way MM does it.

Quote:

Originally posted by stickman

Thanks,
Jason

post #120 of 1015 Old 10-31-2003, 12:04 PM

I guess I'll have to try media manager then.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page