post #181 of 1016 Old 01-23-2004, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by rbienstock
Have you ever seen the Escient Fireball interface? It is essentially the same as the Entre, but it not only has a different color scheme, but also has a more 3D look. In, say, the music guide, the category (genre) tabs are rounded on top and the menu items have shading added. One would think that these were graphic elements, but perhaps they are excludive to the Fireball and don't exist on the Entre. I'm going to start by trying to get rid of the OpenGlobe banners, as this seems easy to do. This is very cool.

I don't think so. You can obviously telnet into it, but who knows what the UID and password are. I tried my OG UID and password, but they didn't work.

Seems like we could speed up some research if someone here has the fireball and would share the graphics that are in the equivalent directory (folder) on that machine as are in our Entres. Not to steal necessarily mind you but just to compare. You would then see what is possible. I'm sure Fred/Robert would love to take a look at them.

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1016 Old 01-23-2004, 03:03 PM

It's too bad that the background images Entre looks for are gifs rather than jpeg files. After reading Fred's post, last night I tried to create some "snazzy" backgrounds, inclusive of photos, text and/or graphics (gradients and the like), as new background images to replace the "plain", stock files of the Entre. They look great on my computer monitor, but once I save them as gifs of the proper size (720x480 pixels) and upload them to the Entre, they turn absolutely terrible blown up on my 65" RPTV. Smooth color areas are OK, everything else turns into a garbled, pixelated mess. Maybe I am doing something wrong when saving/converting files. I am using Photodraw as image editor.

Regardless, this "gem" of a find by Fred could turn out to be a lot of fun for the non-artistically challenged. Thank you, Fred.

--
Umberto
post #183 of 1016 Old 01-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Does the Entre need to be connected with ethernet or does HPNA work also?
post #184 of 1016 Old 01-23-2004, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Carbo
Does the Entre need to be connected with ethernet or does HPNA work also?

You can FTP Entre via HPNA (that's how mine is connected to the netwoirk). I do have an Axcess, though. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

--
Umberto
post #185 of 1016 Old 01-23-2004, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i'm also with HPNA. but you need to open the ftp port first. PM me with an email address and I will help you out.

rather be lucky than good.
post #186 of 1016 Old 01-24-2004, 09:10 AM

Can Someone explain to me how this ftp connection works??

Danny
post #187 of 1016 Old 01-24-2004, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

you need to either buy or download a ftp program and use the entre's ip address to connect using anonymous and active mode (these values are usually the default).

if you have an axcess the ftp port will be open already. if you do not, you need an applet to open it.

after you connect, read this thread from the beginning to see the various partitions on the entre and where different stuff is stored.

post #188 of 1016 Old 01-24-2004, 11:08 AM

HEY ALL READ THIS!!!

Quote:

Have you ever seen the Escient Fireball interface? It is essentially the same as the Entre, but it not only has a different color scheme, but also has a more 3D look. In, say, the music guide, the category (genre) tabs are rounded on top and the menu items have shading added. One would think that these were graphic elements, but perhaps they are excludive to the Fireball and don't exist on the Entre. I'm going to start by trying to get rid of the OpenGlobe banners, as this seems easy to do. This is very cool.

I don't think so. You can obviously telnet into it, but who knows what the UID and password are. I tried my OG UID and password, but they didn't work.

I found the graphics for the guide bars and they in fact can be changed.

\\7.0.5\\GUIresources\\images\\generic\\

- guide_rowON.gif
- guide_rowOFF.gif
- guide_filterbar.gif
- guide_filterbarRight.gif
- guide_filterbarLeft.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Turin2006

once I save them as gifs of the proper size (720x480 pixels) and upload them to the Entre, they turn absolutely terrible blown up on my 65" RPTV. Smooth color areas are OK, everything else turns into a garbled, pixelated mess.

As for the pixelation issue, I have yet to put this on the bigscreen however I do not see any pixelation on a 17 LCD. It did take some trial and error at first to get them to look good. There are a few things to keep in mind. When you resize you are reducing or expanding the of pixels and each pixel of the image will be estimated due to the resize. The key here is to either create an empty pic at 720x480 with a black background an then add your graphics or cut a 720x480 portion out of a larger image. Try not to resize your final file. There are some button builder programs out there that allow you to set size. Personally I use a combination of paintshop and Crestron VTProe.

Have Fun!!

Fred

FZ
post #189 of 1016 Old 01-24-2004, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh you the man...sweet!

I think you left off the ON/OFF part of those names...

604x26 : \\GUIResources\\Images\\Generic\\guide_rowON.gif
604x26 : \\GUIResources\\Images\\Generic\\guide_rowOFF.gif
(the guide_rowOFF.GIF can be transparent which will then show your "guide_background" (see below comments). Actually parts of the other OFF gifs can be transparent as well for the same cool effect).

120x24 : \\GUIResources\\Images\\Generic\\guide_filterbarLeftOFF.gif
120x24 : \\GUIResources\\Images\\Generic\\guide_filterbarLeftON.gif
120x24 : \\GUIResources\\Images\\Generic\\guide_filterbarOFF.gif
120x24 : \\GUIResources\\Images\\Generic\\guide_filterbarON.gif

604x26 : \\GUIResources\\Images\\Generic\\guide_filterbarRightOFF.gif
604x26 : \\GUIResources\\Images\\Generic\\guide_filterbarRightON.gif

I used the existing
720x480 \\GUIResources\\Images\\Generic\\help_background.gif
to replace the
720x480 \\GUIResources\\Images\\Generic\\guide_background.gif
but _after_ I rotated it 180 degrees.

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #190 of 1016 Old 01-24-2004, 02:20 PM

Hello again

I almost have a whole theme complete, however I can not find the recording background. Has anyone seen it? I havn't figured out how big a ziped set would be but I will if anyone wants to check it out.

Fred

FZ
post #191 of 1016 Old 01-24-2004, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i'm interested. email me. thxs.

post #192 of 1016 Old 01-25-2004, 08:58 AM

I replaced my background images for those found in the Fireball but seems that the text positions don't quite line up. Anyone else got this issue? Has anyone figured out if there is a PRP file for the cordinates of where we want the coverart and details to be populated?

BTW Fred I'd be most interested in checking out your theme.

-NiteOwl
post #193 of 1016 Old 01-25-2004, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by NiteOwl
I replaced my background images for those found in the Fireball but seems that the text positions don't quite line up. Anyone else got this issue? Has anyone figured out if there is a PRP file for the cordinates of where we want the coverart and details to be populated?

BTW Fred I'd be most interested in checking out your theme.

-NiteOwl

Yes. No but only looked after reading your post. It must be there as it only makes architectural sense but I'm more than satisfied with just replacing the current graphics.

Wonder if the next software update will reset everything. It'd be my guess.

Wouldn't it have been cool if KW would have supplied themes. I suspect that they were quite limited in their "look" compared to the Fireball. I suspect that it is part of a "brand image" by the PR for both Fireball and KW. You'd think the the Fireball would allow a few different colors tho' because how had would that be for them to implement.

post #194 of 1016 Old 01-25-2004, 10:09 AM

Ok!

I have completed the majority or this theme. WOW! what a time consuming process.

Does anyone have a web page or FTP server set up? I dont mind emailing the theme but alot of people have voiced an interest and it would be easier to put this up somewhere for download.

Some info about the other new posts.

NiteOwl - I do not know if the Fireball filenames match the entre but you are welcome to give it a shot.

NiteOwl & ScottF - If you find the right PRP files let me know! I would like to make the image size for a few things bigger.

ALL - I used a software update ver 2.0.0.8 CD and yes the upgrade puts everything back to stock graphics. Running the install was a nice easy revert to default!!! I have kept all changed files in a directory for easy recopy to the entre.

I have been having fun with this but I must move on to other things! Like installing the system in my home theater. I mean its nice to look at the boxes and all!

OH ONE MORE THING? Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the anoying opengobe banner at the top of the guide screen??????

Fred

FZ
post #195 of 1016 Old 01-25-2004, 02:53 PM

Hey where did you get an update cd and how do you use it? If you could post a zip of that somewhere, that would be great. The dialup update of the software sucks, I'd love to have a burned copy of the cd. I did notice when ftp'ing that there is a 2.0.0.8 directory that is around 10 megs, is that the full update package? If it is, is that where you got the cd? How did you load from cd, just put the cd in and reboot the entre?

Just curious.....
post #196 of 1016 Old 01-25-2004, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

I take my hat off to all of you. The work that you guys have done is excellent. I have been playing around with the GUI and having fun. I have been mostly changing the colors of the original pictures.

First let me say thanks to everyone for helping me out.

While looking around from folder to folder I stumbled on this folder and was wondering if the rest of you have the same contents within. It looks like they where planning to add web links to certain web sites.

The folder is:

7.0.5/Database/Web/Websites
post #197 of 1016 Old 01-26-2004, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Carbo
While looking around from folder to folder I stumbled on this folder and was wondering if the rest of you have the same contents within. It looks like they where planning to add web links to certain web sites.
The folder is:
7.0.5/Database/Web/Websites

Yes, I have that. "planning"...look at your remote. See the button marked "web" The more you poke around the more you truly "see" that they put a significant amount of work into this product (ie. fireball). I've pointed out in the past various things like text messages that refer to "backing up"..which seems like user message. Lots of stuff.

post #198 of 1016 Old 01-27-2004, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by fz1234

Does anyone have a web page or FTP server set up? I dont mind emailing the theme but alot of people have voiced an interest and it would be easier to put this up somewhere for download.

I'll happily throw it up on the web if you email it to me, apnar at botch dot com.

-apnar
post #199 of 1016 Old 01-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

I knew that button was there, but now I see that the software part was worked on, but never added.
post #200 of 1016 Old 01-27-2004, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by fz1234
OH ONE MORE THING? Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the anoying opengobe banner at the top of the guide screen??????

Yes. Here's what you need to do: (1) get some graphics software and create a 46x26 canvas. I used PhotoShop, but pretty much any decent program should work (not MS Paint, though). (2) Make the canvas a single layer that is transparent and empty. (In photoshop, you go into the layer and set its opacity to 0%.) (3) Save the single empty layer canvas as a GIF with the name ad1.gif. (4) Make four copies of ad1.gif and name them ad2.gif, ad3.gif, ad4.gif and ad5.gif. (5) FTP into the Entre. (6) In your FTP client, Navigate to each of the following Entre directories:

7.0.5\\Database\\Ad\\MovieAds\\Images
7.0.5\\Database\\Ad\\MusicAds\\Images
7.0.5\\Database\\Ad\\RadioAds\\Images

(7) rename any files you find there with a .bak extension and then copy the five ad*.gif files into each directory.

This will kill the ads, but they'll come back if you ever do a system upgrade.

Regards,

Robert
post #201 of 1016 Old 01-27-2004, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One question? How does a lawyer become so proficient with Photoshop

post #202 of 1016 Old 01-27-2004, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by slocko
One question? How does a lawyer become so proficient with Photoshop

Actually, I'm not. I just know a few things, like how to resize, change resoultion and the like. I also know how to remove stuff I don't want and how to use the clone tool to fill in the gaps. That's about it. When I was doing the latest graphics project, I thought about creating some new elements, but I was completely stumped as to how to do that. I like to play around with photos, so I can do some pretty good edits, but even there I can't do even rudimentary stuff you hear about people doing all the time (like grafting Britney Spear's head on a nude photo of Jenna Jamison).

Regards,

Robert
post #203 of 1016 Old 01-27-2004, 02:24 PM

Now that we are all hacking away at our Entres, has anyone figured out a way to exchange the measly 20 gig hard drive for a larger one, say an 80 gig or 120 gig? Is it as simple as ghosting the old 20 gig to a new drive or will that not work with all of the partitions and settings on the 20 gig?

I would hope that with the lower costs of hard drives, we all could figure out a way to do this successfully. Escient has their 40 and 120 gig models. One would think that it would be pretty easy to do.....
post #204 of 1016 Old 01-27-2004, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(2) Make the canvas a single layer that is transparent and empty. (In photoshop, you go into the layer and set its opacity to 0%.)

Related to transparency...the MS Photo Editor (not MS Paint) located C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\PhotoEd\\PHOTOED.EXE on my system has a nice feature to make various colors (up to 10%) variations of RBG #'s transparent. I've been using it on my latest graphics project. See attached for that option located under menu Tools|Set transparent color.
LL

post #205 of 1016 Old 01-27-2004, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't been rushing to replace the graphics on the Entre (though I'd fooled around with it before . . . replaced the blue OpenGlobe generic cover disc with the black Kenwood Sovereign image) because I'm trying to get my Fireball DVD-M100 up to snuff. Finally figured out the FTP scheme, so the essentials are all there.

But . . . .I'm going to be sending Joe some information on the DVD-M100. If there's a way for me to copy the whole damn thing, graphics and all, I'd be happy to do it . . .

Would that help?

Nick
post #206 of 1016 Old 01-27-2004, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ScottF200
Related to transparency...the MS Photo Editor (not MS Paint) located C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Microsoft Shared\\PhotoEd\\PHOTOED.EXE on my system has a nice feature to make various colors (up to 10%) variations of RBG #'s transparent. I've been using it on my latest graphics project. See attached for that option located under menu Tools|Set transparent color.

I don't think that this photo editor is part of Windows, at least it isn't on any of my XP Pro machines. I'm guessing that it is installed as part of MS Office, which I don't use. I'm guessing that it is for graphical editing in PowerPoint.

Regards,

Robert
post #207 of 1016 Old 01-27-2004, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Satullo
I haven't been rushing to replace the graphics on the Entre (though I'd fooled around with it before . . . replaced the blue OpenGlobe generic cover disc with the black Kenwood Sovereign image) because I'm trying to get my Fireball DVD-M100 up to snuff. Finally figured out the FTP scheme, so the essentials are all there.

But . . . .I'm going to be sending Joe some information on the DVD-M100. If there's a way for me to copy the whole damn thing, graphics and all, I'd be happy to do it . . .

Would that help?

Nick

Please check your PM.

Regards,

Robert
post #208 of 1016 Old 01-28-2004, 12:22 PM

How do I set up my ftp program to connect to the entre??? I have tried with dvdedit running and still cannot connect??

Danny
post #209 of 1016 Old 01-28-2004, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Danny, make sure you have your Axcess up and running so the port is open. Make sure you the ftp program is set to active. Check your PM if you can't get it working.

post #210 of 1016 Old 01-29-2004, 04:30 PM

kapsig

check back in a few days... things are looking promising.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page