Panasonic DVD players made region/macrovision free without physical mods (some) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 166 Old 11-09-2003, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I know this method works with some Panasonic players. There are chances that this works with other players(then the units this mehtod is intended for) as well by simply making the password window appear by the following key presses (RP91 password window appearing confirmed by Bytehoven). **This also this requires that you obtain the Panasonic Service Disc #2 as well.

1)
* Assuming Panasonic Service Disc #2 is loaded

2)
- Using the remote press "SETUP" / "ACTION"
- Go to "DISPLAY" menu
- Select "ON SCREEN MESSAGES" then press "ENTER" button
- Press ">10" found on the bottom right coner
- Press "6" button
- Press "4" button
- Press "3" button
- Press "8" button

3)
A password window should appear.

- Password is 3192 (region free) and 3193 (macrovision free).
- Press enter twice.
- ** Disc will be read.

* The disc doesn't have to be present to be able to bring the password window up to find out if your player is possible to use this disc.

** If you don't have the disc, nothing will happen and the unit resets itself because some information needs to be read off it for the modifications to work.
ADD-ON: The unit will initialize itself (shows on display) and will reset back to factory defaults, so be prepared to set up your player again. This applies if the disc is there or not.

--
The way to obtain this disc is by contacting Panasonic Australia and email saying that you have an ***RV31 which cannot play overseas DVDs and you would like to obtain the Panasonic Service Disc #2.

*** What the Panasonic service disc is manufactured for will be will be sent for the following:
DVD: DVD-RV31, DVD-RV41, DVD-RA61, DVD-RA71 SC-DV280
Systems: SC-DK10, SC-HT70, SC-DV250, SC-DM3, SC-DT100

- Since that it works for RP56 (been confirmed by several RP-56 owners including myself since I used the disc on my unit), there is a good chance it will work on other players which can get the password window to appear. I'm also going to try it on my DVD-A470EN because the window also appears on it. The unit is region modified but it's manual region switching so I'm going to use the disc on it when I get to it the comming weekend.

The catch is that they will only ship to Australian address. I know that some people on the fourm are from Australia so if they can help you guys out for getting the disc, that'll be a great.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 166 Old 11-09-2003, 01:36 PM

Liked: 10
Can a copy of this service disc be made?
BN
post #3 of 166 Old 11-09-2003, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The disc cannot be copied because there is an area on the disc which cannot be dublicated even thou if you copied the disc successfully. Attempting to do so anyway will result corruption of the firmware on the dvd player after the password confirmation when the disc is being read.
---

Add on: If you guys are putting passwords in without the disc (as a test) and confirming, the unit will "initialize" itself so factory default settings so you guys need to put the user settings back in again. But if you don't want your unit to initialize itself, simply just power off the unit and turn on again when the password window pops up.
post #4 of 166 Old 11-09-2003, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
I should have a service #2 disc headed my way in a few days. I will confirm if it works with the RP91.

The service disc is in the dvd-r authoring media format, so copies need to be authored or duplicated in the dvd-r authoring media format. NOT THE dvd-r general media format.

My source for the disc has dvd-r authoring duplication and he is charging $15 for a copy of the disc shipped. I will PM his email info to folks once I confirm the disc works and does not damage the RP91.

So, if you would like contact info for a copy of the Panasonic service disc, send me a PM and I PM you my source info.

cheers

RJ
PS... I tried the key codes to access the password on a Panasonic XP30 and they did not work. Maybe someone could try on a RP82. Still, there is a relatively inexpensive hardware hack ($75) for the XP30 from JVB Digital. It requires some soldering to chips on the mother board, but is easy enough.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #5 of 166 Old 11-10-2003, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Bytehoven,

I had no luck brining up the password window for both of my DVD-RP82 units. It might not even have remote hack or there is a more updated firmware version which can allow the player to use the remote hack for the service disc.

Let me know how things work out when you recieve the disc. =)

BTW, if anyone have a digital camera and have an RP91, can you take a screen shot of the password window, post it on the web and provide a link? Note: The password window looks exactly like the ratings password window but the tab highlighted in the background is the "Display" instead of "Disc" <-- (it saids this for RP-56, varies on other units but the same idea).

--
If it does work on the RP91, then other owners can remove their physical mods and use the disc! =) I guess that would be better off!
post #6 of 166 Old 11-10-2003, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sango
BTW, if anyone have a digital camera and have an RP91, can you take a screen shot of the password window, post it on the web and provide a link? Note: The password window looks exactly like the ratings password window but the tab highlighted in the background is the "Display" instead of "Disc".

No digital camera, but I can tell you what my RP-91 player (USA R1 v259) shows. I can bring up the password window by using the method described. At the top of the window, instead of "Ratings" as in the normal password window, it says "On-ScrRatingsssages". Looks kind of weird, but that's what it says.

As mentioned, entering a password (3193 in this case) and pressing enter does nothing and resets my player to default settings. I just change the defaults to my settings and the player is fine. If the disc was present, how would I know if the mod was successful?? Does it tell you after it completes?? Guess we'll find out after you try it. Let us know...

yawny
post #7 of 166 Old 11-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Without service disc, I have tried the above methods on Panny A310(1998 model) and XP30. Unfortunately, I failed to bring up the password screen. I will try the RP82 later tonight since my father is using the TV right now.

My RP82 should have the newest firmware available; it was updated with a service disk two months ago at the Panasonic service center.
post #8 of 166 Old 11-10-2003, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

H Yawny,

I guess the display tab varies on a different models but I would say the concept is the same the screen is not the typical "ratings" screen. When typing the code and confirming without the disc, the unit actaully attempts to read the disc, which it finds none and then initializes itself. If the disc is there, indication of completion is determined after the player stops reading the disc followed by initialization.

To test if it is successful (for 3193 - macrovision free). Before even modifying it. Hook your DVD player intentionally up to a VCR and play a movie which you know has macrovision and play it to make sure the disc you have has protection. Then, modify it. After the modification and set it up again play the same movie, and the macrovision should be gone.

For testing the regions, you need to have a disc other than a R1 on hand for that. I do have an R3 and played it on my RP-56 which didn't play before I modified it which it then played after.

I would say when modifying it, perform code 3192 first, then 3193 second.

Hope this helps
post #9 of 166 Old 11-10-2003, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Omikron,

Oh you're my neighbor!! I actaully am from Richmond (a Richmond-ee!) too. It sounds like the Richmond Panasonic Service Center must of did it for you. Funny thing is where my units are located. My Region 1 DVD-RP82 and Region 3 DVD-A470EN (modified region manual switching) is in Richmond. Also my Region 3(region free) DVD-RP-82 and (R1) DVD-RP-56(all free!) is in Bellevue, Washington where I am now.

Can you let me know which firmware you have on your 82? Hold pause+open on player, press 7 on remote. Last 3 numbers is your version.

My unit saids R1 - ver. 272, R3 - ver.299

Thanks
post #10 of 166 Old 11-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Sango:

Hi neighbor! Good to hear from you! I got my XP50 sitting in Seattle as well gathering dust. Where did you get your R3 RP-82? Hong Kong or Taiwan?

Yes, the Richmond Panasonic service did the update for me when I complained about coloration banding from the component outputs on certain DVDs. As it turned out, it was the problem of my particular model of Sony XBR250, which someone from this forum had posted a link to the fix. Three months when the coloration was persisting, I took the RP-82 to Panny service center for them to look at. On their TV, it seemed fine. The service guy told me RP-91 had a similar banding problem and was fixed with new firmware, so he just upgraded the RP-82 for me. I have to wait until my parents leave the living room before I can go and check on RP82. So please wait for about an hour.

Aren't you glad that our Canadian Panasonic warranty for DVD player is one-year, instead of 90 days like south of the border?
post #11 of 166 Old 11-10-2003, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Omikron,

My R3 DVD-RP82 unit I bought is from US (imported overseas, nots sure which place it came from). Panasonic US warrenty is 1 year parts /90 day labor. I think Panasonic Canada covers both parts and labor for a year as I recall?

p.s. Can I have your DVD-XP50 in Seattle? =) j/k!!!
post #12 of 166 Old 11-10-2003, 11:59 PM

Sango & Omikron,

I am also a fellow Richmond-ee. I own both an RP56 and RP91 and I'm very interested in making both region/macro free. How can I get in touch with you guys to get a copy or use the service disk???
post #13 of 166 Old 11-11-2003, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FlyingDutchmen,

Well technically I'm out of reach on right now since I'm in the states studying at the University of Washington. I will be back Friday until Saturday night, so my timing is a bit tight. The real Panasonic Service Disc #2 is with me right now and I'll definately bring it along back to Richmond as I will modify the DVD-470EN which I also have to free the player from it's limitations.

BTW, what is your firmware version number for the DVD-RP56 and 91?

My RP-56 is the ver.056 - upgraded from 045 after repairs were made due to optical pickup and spindle motor going back which were replaced.

The contact, quite yet where to meet and stuff.
post #14 of 166 Old 11-11-2003, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

FlyingDutchmen:

Sorry, I don't have a service disk. My RP-82 firmware was updated at Panasonic service center located in Richmond.

Sango:

I tried the RP-82 and no, it didn't work. The password menu didn't appear.

My RP-82 was originally made in June 2002
Updated RP-82 firmware # L02665D300
So I guess it's version is 300
post #15 of 166 Old 11-11-2003, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi!

Wow!, 300, I definately want that one or even a higher one(if it's out there)! When you updated the firmware, did they do it for free? I'm wondering if I can actaully obtain the firmware disc.
post #16 of 166 Old 11-11-2003, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Sango:

Firmware update was done for free - still under warrenty. If I remember correctly, it was done in mid-August, on the same day I went to Seattle.
post #17 of 166 Old 11-11-2003, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pictures of my DVD players. (sorry don't have pic of the RP56!!)
post #18 of 166 Old 11-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Sango:

Interesting 470 password picture...

You have the Motorola digital cable box, right? Did you purchase it or rent it from Shaw? If you are renting it from Shaw, you can exchange for a newer model DCT2000, which is faster and smaller than yours.
post #19 of 166 Old 11-11-2003, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Omikron,

Yeah, my mom bought the shaw box! Maybe will buy the new box later.
post #20 of 166 Old 11-11-2003, 06:57 PM

Sango,

I'm also in the States right now. Over on the other side in Chicago. I will be home (Richmond) tomorrow night and there until Sunday. Let me know if you think you'll have time to meet up.

Cheers
post #21 of 166 Old 11-11-2003, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FlyingDutchMan,

Seems like a good idea. I can meet sometime Friday night.

BTW: Are both of your players in Richmond?

Maybe Omikron can meet too?
post #22 of 166 Old 11-11-2003, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Omikron,

With the new box, we can get HDTV channels right (unless Shaw didn't give us ability yet? Also I believe this one has component out?

Thanks

--

Note: about my R3 unit RP-82, the full model of it is the DVD-RP82GCSS. Sort of differnet than th R1, DVD-RP82S.
post #23 of 166 Old 11-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Sango:

No, the new digital cable box DCT2000 is only the upgrade of older one DCT1000 or DCT1500. There is no HD capability. It has faster TV schedule menu and conversion of analog TV signal to digital (now channel 59 and lower have digital sound). The CPU is faster with more cache memory.

The HD cable box you are thinking is DCT5100 HD, which is $698.88.

The R3 RP-82 doesn't have black level control, right?
post #24 of 166 Old 11-12-2003, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Omikron,

Yes my R3 DVD-RP82 doesn't have the black level option but apparently it is ouputting at 0 IRE which is fine with me. I also have the R1 DVD-RP82 black level set to darker which is also 0 IRE.

If you look in your RP-82 manual, you will notice a bit of differences in the meny options and capabilities (ie. the footnotes which say for Canada/US/Asia). I'm not sure if my unit can play WMA but not like I would use it anyway. Also my unit has 110-240 Volts 50-60hz Auto Switching.

BTW: How much does the DCT2000 cost? Also I'm curious about the analog to digital conversion for the channels below 60 because technically that would decrease the sound quality (analog(Shaw) -> digital(box) -> analog (box) unless you ment that Shaw sends the sound digitally now to the box box which decodes them to analog like channels 60 and above. Hmm would that also mean channels below 60 are digital on the video feed as well?
post #25 of 166 Old 11-12-2003, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought there were some hardware differences between the R1 & R3 RP82s. I remember reading this about a year ago here. Does the R3 version have DCDi?
post #26 of 166 Old 11-12-2003, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi mrwilson,

Good question - yes it does. I actaully opened up my R3 unit because the people who modified it when I obtained the unit didn't tighten the screws properly so there was like a bit of a gap which can allow the cover to move. I decided to check out the inside of an RP82 unit for the first time by opening the R3 unit since I didn't want to open my R1.

I checked out the video board and once I took it out, I clearly see the Sage/Faroudja video chip located on the underside of the board. I guess I didn't need to take the board out because when I hooked it up first, the video was just stunning and I knew this has to be Faroudja. After that just put everything back together and no gap this time.
post #27 of 166 Old 11-13-2003, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Sango
Hi Omikron,

BTW: How much does the DCT2000 cost? Also I'm curious about the analog to digital conversion for the channels below 60 because technically that would decrease the sound quality (analog(Shaw) -> digital(box) -> analog (box) unless you ment that Shaw sends the sound digitally now to the box box which decodes them to analog like channels 60 and above. Hmm would that also mean channels below 60 are digital on the video feed as well?

DCT2000:
$198.88 purchase price minus programming credit of $159.88. Programming credit includes a monthly credit of $10.00 off the regular price of the Shaw Total Entertainment Bundle (TEB) or Shaw Total Home Bundle (THB) and 12 Pay Per View or Shaw On Demand credits of up to $4.99 each (maximum total of 12 credits is $59.88). Credits will be applied to first 12 orders placed up to a maximum value of $4.99 each. Customer must not disconnect from TEB or THB for 10 months to realize the total $100.00 credit. This offer cannot be combined with any other Digital offer from Shaw. This offer is only valid to first time subscribers to TEB or THB. Only one credit is to be applied to each Shaw account. Unused Pay Per View/Shaw On Demand Credits will expire 1 year after the Digital Terminal is initially activated. Other conditions may apply.

In the nutshell, it is $39 after programming credit, provided you are a first time subscriber to Shaw Digital. One way around it is to terminate your Shaw digital service (not the basic cable) for 2~3 months and reconnect again as new subscriber.

Regarding the audio analog to digital conversion for non-digital channels (ie. < 60), the older model will only output analog audio in those channels: my receiver won't output any sound unless it is manually switched to analog input. The new model will output audio from all channels via coaxial digital output, as well as analog output. However I do notice the sound volume level is decreased somewhat. The PQ is about the same. Personally, I do see on the newer model, there are more pixelations.

I won't advice to get a newer model since you have already paid in full for the older model, especially you are only at home during the weekend. You will only get faster TV guide surfing, all digital channels, faster remote response. If you have a HD TV, you might want to try their HD digital terminal by renting it. I don't know how much it cost; if it is only $10 a month then it worth a try.
post #28 of 166 Old 11-13-2003, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The old box should be fine. My mom mainly uses it for channel 120 which is the main purpose for the box.
post #29 of 166 Old 11-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

What is channel 120? Fairchild TV?
post #30 of 166 Old 11-13-2003, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes it is the fair child package - channel 120.
(BTW: I edited my post on the other thread which I replied.)
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page