Escient FireBall DVDM-100?? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 455 Old 12-24-2003, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes the DVDM already does this now. It really is nothing more than the old stop-stop-play trick that can be performed on most dvd players. If you are not familiar with this, turn on your dvd player and press stop-stop-play right in a row and the movie should automatically start. I know this works for many dvd players including the Sonys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 455 Old 12-24-2003, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

so that trick only works if the unit is off? what about if it's on already?

I have noticed that if you start playing a dvd and if it allows you to stop it, the next time you press play, it will start automatically. but a lot of dvds these days are disabling all controls as soon as you start the movie, including stop.

i have seen that subtitle bug on my kenwood dvd player. i also noticed that even though I have dts setup as a preference, and doesn't always pick dts. so now i just go into the dvd menus and select the sound track and turn subtitles off, so the bug is moot.

rather be lucky than good.
post #93 of 455 Old 12-24-2003, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

If the DVD player is already on then just press stop twice, then press stop-stop-play. This usually works, that is why they claim that it works on "most" discs. Some do not enable you to bypass advertisments and FBI warnings, but there aren't too many that do that.
post #94 of 455 Old 12-25-2003, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

i keep my dvd player on all the time. so i need a macro that does stop 4 times and then play?

never mind, the point is moot since the entre is what fires off the dvd player. i don't feel like hitting stop after a movie has started and then hitting play again.

post #95 of 455 Old 12-25-2003, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 308
post edited- issue resolved below

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #96 of 455 Old 12-25-2003, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark,

I had the same problem with hit information at first but thought it would be resolved by release. There is an issue with the Sony that reads the TOC of a disc a little different than the Kenwood and Pioneer do resulting in a number of discs to be unknown even though they exist in their database. If you go to the disc and go to options you can manually enter the dvd and it will get the dvd information and coverart for you. Out of almost 350 dvd's mine only missed 25. I found all but a couple by manually searching for the dvd by title name. Hopefully they will have this resolved very soon.

On the issues of DVD Audio and SACD, I didn't know that the Sony played DVD Audio. Does it play in your machine even though it doesn't read out properly? I would be curious to know this.
post #97 of 455 Old 12-26-2003, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mark,

For searching for discs manually like "the client", only type in "client". Database doesn't recognize the, a, and a few others at the beginning of a title.

I would be a leary of the Pioneer, I know they have had MPEG decoder issues. I am not a huge supporter of Sony, but it does have a few nice features that others don't such as simultaneous output of composite, s, and progressive component video. Hopefully this sony issue will be resolved soon so we won't have to worry about it.
post #98 of 455 Old 12-26-2003, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by chadly25
Mark,

For searching for discs manually like "the client", only type in "client". Database doesn't recognize the, a, and a few others at the beginning of a title.

I would be a leary of the Pioneer, I know they have had MPEG decoder issues. I am not a huge supporter of Sony, but it does have a few nice features that others don't such as simultaneous output of composite, s, and progressive component video. Hopefully this sony issue will be resolved soon so we won't have to worry about it.

Also the Kenwood 5900M have simultaneous output of s-vidoe and component (my 5900's are feeding progressive out on the component to my DLP projector and regular 480i on the s-vidoe to my CRT tube). The Kenwood 5900M is a great player and I think the best between the 3 supported payers. You can buy new Kenwood 5900 players for less than $800 these days.

Lars Berglund
Plano, TX
post #99 of 455 Old 12-26-2003, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark,

I just entered "client" and it found it. Just to make sure we are doing the same process...highlight disc, hit options on remote, type in "client" into title box, highlight and select "search for movie", highlight and select "search" This got it for me first try so I would be interested in knowing if yours doesn't do this.
post #100 of 455 Old 12-26-2003, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

success!

so let me see if I understand this: for unidentified DVD's, I type in the title then follow this same procedure?

ps what I was doing was hitting 'lookup this disc'- now I see the correct procedure

I just put the rest of the unidentifieds back in and will retry this

Thank you

Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #101 of 455 Old 12-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

100% identified

Thank you so much- this was my only issue which is now resolved

much appreciated

post #102 of 455 Old 12-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

put in 26 more: 2 needed the manual entry and they came right up

post #103 of 455 Old 12-26-2003, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad all is well now. Now that you have all your startup issues resolved, how do you like the system? Have you seen any of the subtitles appear on any dvd's?
post #104 of 455 Old 12-26-2003, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Glad all is well now. Now that you have all your startup issues resolved, how do you like the system? Have you seen any of the subtitles appear on any dvd's?

no subtitles seen so far

I see a couple of things I was doing wrong: after I closed the changer door, I was not waiting for autobuild to start by itself: I was manually starting quick lookup: now I wait for it to start autobuild itself:

also I make a list of what DVD's go into which slot so if I have to do a manual search, it is easier to ID. If I get unidentified DVD's- I first go back in to 'get movie info/unknown info/covers ' and as a last resort type in the name for search: I did a third batch of 25 and had only one to do manually

I like the DVDM : seems to work very nicely: my dealer is coming over tomorrow to see it in action: he has several to put in.

I would not have had such quick success without you help: especially since Escient is closed for the holidays- Thanks again

I give it 2 thumbs up!

post #105 of 455 Old 12-26-2003, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I don't have it down 100% but I am a good 98%
post #106 of 455 Old 12-28-2003, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

loaded 16 SACD's into the Sony changer and the DVDM recognized them as SACD's but failed to identify any of them: the only way you can get info on them is if the Gracenotes database has the standard CD version of it- and manually enter the artist and title and do a search ( still all you get is the cover and no track titles so far) not sure if this is going to work out for SACD's unless the database is upgraded

my only other issue is: would like to be able to continous play DVD's- but I don't see any way to do that?

post #107 of 455 Old 12-28-2003, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't think that the DVDM would recognize SACD's to be honest but I wasn't sure. Escient provides all of the DVD information for DVD lookup and they use Gracenote CDDB for CD lookup. Gracenote CDDB is a database that gets all of its information from computer users that manually enter CD information. That information is then sent to Gracenote along with the CD's TOC (table of contents) for future recognition. That sometimes explains why things aren't spelled right and why it can't find coverart for a particular CD. I am not aware of any computers out there, although I am sure there are some, that are playing SACD's. And if there are any, is Gracenote compiling those stats into their database? I will have to check into this because I am curious now that you bring this up.
post #108 of 455 Old 01-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

heard from Escient dealer that the LCD touchscreens for the DVDM are not shipping ( 2 weeks ago they said they were in stock): my dealer said they had received 20 that were damaged: no recovery date given

my only issue with the DVDM is there is no way to continuous play DVD's: this is one feature that seems essential

post #109 of 455 Old 01-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

got the 15" touchscreen for the DVDM : looks very much like the Fireball 12" LCD - it has the Escient logo on the front

it requires the use of one serial com port for X-Y and composite or S Video (there are dedicated connections) for video on the back of the DVDM

the 15" LCD has a resolution of 1024x768 and the interface seems very quick and responsive: much faster than the response of the Fireball LCD: there are some neat touchscreen menus that automatically come up (to view the movie: hit Video)

the DVDM found the touchscreen on the first try

PQ looks very good

Escient customer service told me that continuous play of DVD's is not possible

post #110 of 455 Old 01-08-2004, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

by any chance do you own sopranos season 4? my entre went a month after release of the season 4 without recognizing the discs. i finally gave up and entered them using a 3rd party app. i haven't recently checked to see if they are finally in the database.

post #111 of 455 Old 01-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Originally posted by slocko
by any chance do you own sopranos season 4? my entre went a month after release of the season 4 without recognizing the discs. i finally gave up and entered them using a 3rd party app. i haven't recently checked to see if they are finally in the database.

Yes season 4 is in the database- it worked fine for me

post #112 of 455 Old 01-13-2004, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Are discrete on/off codes available for remote control?
post #113 of 455 Old 01-14-2004, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

i don't know about the escient products, but the entre does and it's modeled after the escient product.

post #114 of 455 Old 01-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Originally posted by BizarroTerl
Are discrete on/off codes available for remote control?

Yes-there is a Pronto Pro integration document that has on/off discrete commands and the external (RS232) control protocol has discrete on/off and power status change communications

but the included remote and keyboard only gives you a toggle

post #115 of 455 Old 01-16-2004, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the keyboard does give you discrete on and off, you just need to know how to get to it. For instance, try pushing shift+music on your keyboard
post #116 of 455 Old 01-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

post #117 of 455 Old 01-17-2004, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

is it true the dvdm-100 doesn't have a hard drive?

where does it store the cover art? flash drive?

post #118 of 455 Old 01-17-2004, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure of the exact type of memory chip they are using, but it is not a hard drive. Too bad it isn't a 5 terabyte hard drive and you could burn all of your DVDs's to it. I am sure we are only a year or so away from this being an affordable reality.

Mark, did you have fun playing with your keyboard??? LOL
post #119 of 455 Old 01-18-2004, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Mark, did you have fun playing with your keyboard??? LOL

now I need the keyboard discrete for OFF!

my only issue now is sometimes the touchpanel looses communications with the DVDM (have also seen this on E-120): turning the unit on/off usually restores it but I hope there is a fix for this

next I have to integrate this into my remote control- an RTI T2- will use RS232 commands

post #120 of 455 Old 01-18-2004, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

shift+iradio
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Tags
Escient Fireball Dvdm 100 Dvd And Music Manager

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version