- How quickly can it read all the discs off a full 777ES and retrieve their info from the onlone database?
To do a full autobuild it will still take you a couple of hours. This is not a function of the Fireball but a function of how long it takes the DVD changer to read the dvd's TOC (table of contents)
- Have you found any movies it did not recognize? How does the unit handle an unrecognized disc? Is cover art always available for recognized discs (seems to be hit or miss with CDDB)?
I had very few DVD's it did not recognize. One such DVD was my wife's Fit Mama workout. Actually kind of glad it didn't find that one so my friends didn't see it
When a DVD isn't recognized it simply titles it Unknown DVD and gives generic coverart. You can go in and modify the title and info manually. The difference between CD and DVD recognition is that Escient maintains and builds their library of DVD content so once you get a hit it will include coverart.
- Does it support any kind of movie playlist function (eg. a playlist of my favorite action chapters from various DVDs)?
Never even thought about doing that. I will give it a try tonight and let you know.
- How does it handle the removal of a disc from a changer? If I choose to remove a disc, will it show the disc as part of the collection but currently not in the changer?
It will remove the DVD info from the screen but keep it in memory so when you put DVD back in it will instantly recognize it.
- Any search functions (actor, title, etc)?
Again, something I have not tried but will let you know. As with the Fireball line you can sort by genre but will check if you can sort by actor.
- On the FireBall's cover art view display, 2 rows of 4 covers are displayed, is the layout used for the DVDM-100?
I believe so, but it could be 5 covers per row.
- Anything that doesn't seem to work too well?
In short, No. I wouldn't trade mine in for anything.