AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pioneer DV-563A, no bass

3K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  Crazyinthehead 
#1 ·
Anyone have any ideas why I can't get any bass out of my DVD-A or SACD's with my Pioneer DV-563A? I am using a Rotel RSP-1066 processor. The player works fine(bass galore) with dvd videos, digital audio cable but no bass with audio disks muliti-channel analog cables.....I've tried all the obvious stuff, cable connections, Pioneer and Rotel setup menu, they seem to be okay but.......no bass! My sub is just collecting dust, so signal being transmitted to it. When I switch to digital audio cable, it works fine....something in the 5.1 multi is off....I've hit the wall thinking about it.

Thanks for the help

Rick

Merry Christmans all!

#2 ·
sorry you're having problems.......... I don't know what to tell you. I get plenty of bass from mine. I would have said to double check your setup, but you said you did already. Try setup again, and anything that is off, turn it on and try it. In the initial settings menu, make sure PCM is off. Under SACD playback, check Multi-ch. area. Under DVD-a playback, check dvd audio. That's how mine is set, and mine is working fine. If after doing that, try your Rotel settings again...........

Maybe someone else will chime in with a suggestion. Sure that your 6 analog cables are good? Try switching the sub analog cable with one of the others and try it.......

Good luck!

#3 ·
Make sure that the SACD / or DVD-A you are playing has a .1 or LFE channel encoded. Also the bass management on the 563 is kind of crappy. Make sure the sub is on and that the levels are cranked up. For some folks they even had to crank down their surrounds to make a greater differential. Try setting the speakers on the 563 to small - if that doesn't help try large.

#6 ·
Thanks for your responses guys. I may be wrong but I think my situation is a bit different. My sub doesn't get the signal from my processer. I currently use a JBL PB10 sub that has little lights on the front. These lights are red when the sub is on standby and turn green when the sub receives a signal to start operating. In mutli mode, the lights never turn green, hence my assumption there is no bass signal being sent to it. The sub does operate normally when not in multi mode.....I don't know....weirdness.

Thanks again. Can't seem to figure out if the problem is with my dvd player or the processer...I believe my processer is handling the base management, not the player, so even though the Pioneer has a not so good base management system, it shouldn't matter because Rotel does have decent base management.

Thanks again.

Rick

#7 ·
Are you connected via the 6 CH analog outs?

Have you actually run test tones from the player to see if the .1 channel is getting a signal?

Are you sure you have the 563 enabled for 5.1 output via the analogs?

How about of you play a DVD w/DD or DTS via the 6 CH outputs? Any problem with bass there?

BGL

#8 ·
yup to your last question, no bass with anything using mutli....and yes, I do have the six analog cables hooked up....that would be way too easy of a solution...although I am sure I am standing too close to the problem and there is likely a simple answer but just can't see it right now....

R

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rickfaldo
My sub doesn't get the signal from my processer. Rick
So where does your sub get its signal from? Are you using the high level speaker outputs from the receiver / power amp or a line level RCA or XLR connection from the recever / pre pro? I assume it is the latter.

Quote:
I believe my processer is handling the base management, not the player, so even though the Pioneer has a not so good base management system, it shouldn't matter because Rotel does have decent base management.[/b]

In 5.1 bypass mode, the receiver or processor just does the bypass. The bass management of the Rotel does "bupkiss" but instead has to rely on the bass management of the universal player. FWIW, when I had my 563 hooked up to in my main system (Bryston SP 1.7 and Mirage BPS-400 sub) I had the weak bass but when I moved the player to my second system (NAD T760 and Energy XL-10 sub) I got bass. I am just wondering if the NAD boosts the LFE signal on the bypass.

#10 ·
rickfaldo,

Check your speakers settings in the processor. If they are in LARGE, you will get bass only with SACD or DVD-A (sources with LFE channel), if your sub is ON in the menu of the processor. Please read it carefully and try to check all modes. The same in the player's menu - be sure that you have 5.1 output enabled.

#11 ·
Quote:
I am just wondering if the NAD boosts the LFE signal on the bypass.
I believe it does, based on the fact that my 45a required a boost of about 10 dB when connected to my old school Marantz SR-96, but does not require a boost when used with my NAD 762.

Based on anecdotal evidence from various users, it appears that newer gear (Outlaw 950, Denon receivers, NAD stuff) corrects the low .1 problem, while older stuff does not.

rickfaldo: Did you run test tones? If so, from what source. The low .1 level issue will show itself with ALL formats. I would bet if you ran a test with Avia, or even with THX Optimizer, you will see that .1 channel level is low, and requires a boost.

Also, did you read the FAQ I linked? This is the sum of hundreds of hi-rez player user reports with set-up problems. I would bet dollars to donuts that the answer is there if you read it and follow what it says to do.

Gordon raised another good point regarding player set-up. I will again bet dollars to donuts that there is either a set-up choice made incorrectly, or the user just needs to raise the sub channel level.

This has been a problem since the very first uni-players came out. And if you search the 563 threads hear and at the HTF, its ALWAYS a set-up issue, or that there needs to be a boost of the .1 channel level.

BGL

#12 ·
Thanks again guys but I reiterate, the set up appears to be a-okay. I will run the set up again, but I just ran through it and all the settings are correct. You all keep referring to low bass when in fact my bass is non-existant. There is no signal going to the sub. I tried running test zones with multi-channel selected through my Rotel RSP-1066 but the test zone box was not available to use....don't get that but it was greyed out. Yes, I did indeed read your link and while being very informative, didn't deal with my no base issure, only low bass. If I change the processer from multi while using dvd-a or sacd, there is no sound from any speaker, which is normal I believe and when I try using multi on a video, there is no sound again, when switching back to DTS or whatever, tons of base and everything is norma. I did crank the bass up through the Rotel setup to max and still nothing. I use RCA LFE for the sub connected to the processer. The processer is connected to the dvd player via 6 analog cables, along with a digital audio cable for non 5.1 multi recordings. I've switched cables, changed set ups and now am thinking of jumping off a bridge(just joking)

Thanks for all your help, I'm sure I am overlooking the simplest of things...standing too close.....

Rick

Almost forgot, all speakers are set to small and the sub is on.

#14 ·
rickfaldo, try to connect your LFE output from 563 directly to the sub, if it works, then the problem definitely is in the multichannel input of 1066 ...

#15 ·
Have you used a Test CD/DVD such as AVIA that definitely outputs a LFE channel?

Having said that, I want to add that when I play a DTS Cd with the 5.1 analog channel outputs from the 563, the bass is weak. WhenI use the digital out and let the Pioneer 511 do the decoding, the bass is awesome...

#16 ·
If I choose all large speakers and sub-woofer = on in the DVD player, will the 563 send full signal strength to the receiver? Can I then let the Pioneer 511 manage the bass, with the correct speaker setting such as Mains=large (passive sub included), center = small, surround = small, sub =off?

#17 ·
I have the same problem.

Same DVD player, hooked up to the Pioneer VSX-d912, and I get no signal to the sub when playing SACDs or DVD-As. Works fine on TV, DVD videos, everything else, but no signal to the sub at all.

Now it's possible that the discs at 5.0 and not 5.1.

But it's certainly not just the one poster who is having a problem. In fact, I'm kind of suspect of anyone who says they DON'T have the problem.

#18 ·
#19 ·
According to the findings from the above link when using a small speaker size: LFE is crossed over at 120Hz for SACD playback and 200Hz !!!@# for DVD-A playback.

120Hz isn't great 200Hz is unusable on my system, 80Hz would seem to be the sweet spot most HT gear is designed for. Why would the crossover be set so high? Please inform me. Even most sat/sub systems crossover lower than 200Hz, no?

Cruising the Pioneer website for an email address I found this page that deals specifically with warranty firmware upgrades on DVD players. Seems like a good place to start searching for a way to address these BM issues.

I am assuming crossover points are a feature that is addressable with firmware updates. Am I wrong? Adam.

#20 ·
There was a post a couple months back at the HT Spot, where an ISF guy that specializes in Pioneer spoke with some Pio guys at an industry meet. He asked about the crossover, and was told that there would be no update to the firmware.

I suppose that this could change, but I don't forsee much action to update a $175 player.

The argument put forth by Pio was that they expected the 563 to be purchased by folks with very small mains. Obviously, they guessed wrong, but the only way out is either a receiver or pre/pro that does a crossover on the 5.1 ins (rare, but Outlaw and HK make such a product) OR get an ICBM, or say screw it and buy a more expensive player that gets it right (I just read that the Denon 2200, at about $500, does do BM correctly).

Quote:
But it's certainly not just the one poster who is having a problem. In fact, I'm kind of suspect of anyone who says they DON'T have the problem.
None of this is really news. Uni player owners have been dealing with this since the first uni players came out. The situation here though is unique in that you guys are getting NO bass, as opposed to very weak bass.

But, I have not seen anything to indicate if this was tested with Avia, VE, or what have you. There are certain quirks with BM in some of these players that do NOT apply any BM with 5.0 and 4.0 material. That could play a part.

And the internal test tones are known to be faulty. Someone really needs to test with the Chesky Ultimate DVD. That has legit 5.1 DVD-A test tones.

A setting of all small, sub on, levels set in the player so that the sub is at +6 and the mains are at -4 normally produces proper levels between the channels when tested with test discs AND with actual program material.

But, if you guys have everything set right, and checked and double checked, then maybe Pio has screwed something in in manufacturing.

BGL

#21 ·
As I said before...........I have no problems with bass on dvd-a and sacd music.

In the player's setup, I have it set for dvd-audio, not video. I have my receiver setup for 120 Hz. crossover with distances set in receiver, not player. I have LFE ATT set to 0db in receiver. If you are using powered sub, you may need to play with controls on the back of it. All my speakers are set to small in player setup AND receiver setup.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you..........

One more thing.........My receiver has one input for powered sub, and sub has 2 outputs. JBL said to use "Y" adapter at sub, to use both outputs. Is your's like that? Don't know if it would make a difference or not.

Turtleboy........

Don't be suspect of someone who DON'T have problems, because you are. It would be wonderful if NOBODY had problems, but a few do. If you read all the threads here and at other forums, you'll see that there's more people that are NOT having problems. I suspect you either haven't got things setup right, or there's the possibility you got a bad player, which happens occaisionally, with any brand!

#22 ·
Not every DVD-A or SACD has an LFE channel.

If you use the 563A's own test tones and set the LFE channel's audio level to +6dB you should get sub activity. It will probably seem too low in level, but it should be there. It certainly is on mine. If not, as someone else suggested, try driving your sub directly from the 563's subwoofer output instead of through your receiver, to determine where the problem is.

RichC

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rickfaldo

Almost forgot, all speakers are set to small and the sub is on.
On the Pioneer, right? The way this would normally work is that you use the bass management on your Rotel for the digital audio inputs, but not for the analog inputs. You use the bass management on the Pioneer for SACD and DVD-A.

If your Rotel is capabable of applying bass management to the analog inputs, then the Pioneer should be set for large speakers and sub=yes.

RichC

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by emoxley

Turtleboy........

Don't be suspect of someone who DON'T have problems, because you are. It would be wonderful if NOBODY had problems, but a few do. If you read all the threads here and at other forums, you'll see that there's more people that are NOT having problems. I suspect you either haven't got things setup right, or there's the possibility you got a bad player, which happens occaisionally, with any brand!
Hmmm..

Maybe I need a good reference disc.

What SACDs do you reccomend I use that you've had success with in sending bass to the powered subwoofer?

#26 ·
I don't have a SACD reference, but can highly recommend the Chesky Ultimate DVD. It has no video tests, but it has the best set of audio tests I have used.

The tones are in DVD-A and also DD, so you can check both sides of your player (or the player and the reciever/pre-pro) if you like.

The most handy tones are to check subwoofer phase. The tones play first with the .1 channel and the main channels in phase, then out of phase.

If the in phase tones are louder than the out of phase tones, your good. If not, you need to adjust your subs phase.

Whats great about this method is that you don't have to run the tones, take a reading, go change the switch and do it again. You know in 30 seconds if you are right or wrong.

On top of that, the tones are available at various frequencies corresponding to your crossover. As such, you can dial it in perfectly.

Disc like Avia assume you have a crossover at about 80 Hz. If you are significantly lower or higher, you may get incorrect results.

OK....commercial for Chesky is now over. Resume you normal duties!

BGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.