Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 744 Old 02-19-2004, 07:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think he's afraid to post anything after all the 5900 problems.

Ernie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 744 Old 02-19-2004, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'd like a Denon 2200 with DVI out...

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #4 of 744 Old 02-19-2004, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I assume that if they are putting the denon link on the 3805 they are prepping some sort of midrange dvd player with DVI and the Denon link to accomodate that.

Then again they might have added it for those that want to spend double the receiver cost for a new DVD player ;)
post #5 of 744 Old 02-19-2004, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally posted by awtryau89
Title says it all. I know you are lurking out there somewhere.:D
You might want to check the AVS Special Guests forum and see if he still posts there. He hasn't been in any of the other forums here for quite some time.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 744 Old 02-19-2004, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You might want to check the AVS Special Guests forum and see if he still posts there.
The Special Guests Forums here at AVS have been shut down and closed to posting for over 2 months now.

post #7 of 744 Old 02-19-2004, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Denon will be releasing a boat load of new players by years end. No specific dates or product features yet, but I think your wishes will be granted.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #8 of 744 Old 02-19-2004, 04:45 PM

Kris-
So here's a question for you. Since I am going to be finishing my basement for a dedicated HT this spring/summer, funds will be a bit tight for equipment upgrades, other than the PJ/scaler/screen. I have an older Denon DVD-2500 that does quite well for me now. I have been thinking about getting either the DVD-2900 or the -5900 soon (and who knows about going with the Underwood mods), but if there are some tasty morsels on the horizon, would it be worth waiting a bit to see what they are?

My -2500 has component out, so I could dump that to a scaler and then on to the PJ and be pretty happy for video, but I would also like to get into multi-channel music, which is why I was looking at the new Denons.

On a side note, I have been lurking here at AVS for well over a year, and have learned a great deal. Your posts, Kris, as well as those from some of the folks over in the CRT PJ forum are a wealth of knowledge. What great resources to have here. And the Secrets reviews are quite good as well. While there is so much material out there, if you can absorb most of it, you can make very informed decisions.
post #9 of 744 Old 02-19-2004, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't comment directly on what is coming out, plus that can be a vicious cycle to get into. Normally if you wait for something that is coming up, you hear about stuff that may come out a bit later and so on; therefore, you never get what you want.

I think the 5900 is a solid value if you're in the market for a Denon product. I will be testing two more DVI based players very soon that could be quite good as well. But I am sure that if you wait, you will have a lot of options around fall time frame from numerous companies.

Senior Video Editor

post #10 of 744 Old 02-19-2004, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thnx Kris, can u pls give us tentative list of players for next shoot out? thnx
post #11 of 744 Old 02-19-2004, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I have heard that a 3900 is coming... No timeframe though.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

post #12 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 04:26 AM

The 3900....
That sounds like the player I'm waiting for! Hope it will come out soon rather than later :)
post #13 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Parasound is going to be coming out with DVD (player)s if you can hold off. The President of Parasound has informed me that it will be unlike anything else . Just by their reputation it should be better than any Denon. I've tried to get more info and a release date but they won't say anything. Top Secret.
post #14 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

The next shootout is still in the works. Right now we will feature the DVD-2200, Integra DPC 7.1, Pioneer 59 AVi, Krell Showcase, Phillips 963a, Mitsubishi 6040, Samsung 931 for sure.

We are hoping to get a few from NAD, Yamaha, Arcam, Rotel, Panasonic, Teac, and Theta as well, but it is all based on availability.

Senior Video Editor

post #15 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Kool..happy to see, philips 963sa in there!! any preliminary results on philips?

BTW!! Is it Mits 6040 or 8040..

When the results will be out on these!!

Many thnx for answering
post #16 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Kris Deering
The next shootout is still in the works. Right now we will feature the DVD-2200, Integra DPC 7.1, Pioneer 59 AVi, Krell Showcase, Phillips 963a, Mitsubishi 6040, Samsung 931 for sure.

We are hoping to get a few from NAD, Yamaha, Arcam, Rotel, Panasonic, Teac, and Theta as well, but it is all based on availability.
The Teac you mean the Esoteric DV-50, right ? Why not include the Linn Unidisk ?
post #17 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys....Yes I am still around, but since the Special Guest threads has been shut down I only answer PMs.

I never much posted in any of the threads on our products...however I would like to comment that I am not ashamed of the DVD-5900, it is a great product, is it perfect...No, will there ever be a perfect player...Doubt it. But we will try.

If you have specific questions, do not hesitate to PM me. I will post when new product info is ready for release - you will hear about it before the mainstream - and if we have any updates pertaining to our products. That said, No I can't tell you any specifics at this time on the upcoming products - However I can say that we are replacing the entire line of receivers (7 total models) and all new DVD lineup (5 total models). All will be released starting now with the AVR-3805 on through to October - most will be out by the end of summer.

Which reminds me...stay tuned as we are just about ready to release a fix for the sluggish menu and 'macroblocking' as well as the 1394 compatibility issues.

Regards,

Jeff Talmadge
Director, Product Development & Systems Integration
DENON Electronics (USA), LLC
post #18 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 10:07 AM

Great news and thanks for the information. There's always something "better" just around the corner but the 5900 sounds like a great product especially if you're addressing these issues. I look forward to buying one as I'm sure Denon looks forward to my money :D

-Nick
post #19 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sergiohm
The Teac you mean the Esoteric DV-50, right ? Why not include the Linn Unidisk ?
I put in a request for the Linn, I just don't know if we'll get it. The Esoteric may be included depending on availability. Teac said they don't have any samples in the US right now but if they get one soon they will try to support.

Great news Jeff!

Senior Video Editor

post #20 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 10:30 AM

DenonJeff-
Sounds like great news then, especially if most of the units will be out by summer...perfect timing for me. And if there is a fix coming for the 5900, then I may not be able to wait until summer! :D

Kris-
Yeah, HT gear is getting almost as bad as PC world. I don't mind not having "every" new feature, but I'd like any gear I buy to have some applicability in the future. Thanks.
post #21 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DenonJeff
However I can say that we are replacing the entire line of receivers (7 total models) and all new DVD lineup (5 total models). All will be released starting now with the AVR-3805 on through to October - most will be out by the end of summer.
I would be happy except that I just spent $600 on a 2200 less than a month ago. Before I bought it I asked the dealer if there was a new model coming out soon, and he said no, the 2200 is a new model. I guess the dealers are too far removed from the Denon HQ. Don't get me wrong, I love the 2200. Like somebody said, if you're always waiting for the newest features, then you'll be waiting continuously.

Any Denon trade-up programs Jeff?

Regards,
PolkThug
post #22 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Keep in mind we do generally change models on a yearly basis, the 2200 was released last September so its replacement will be this September.

I wish we didn't have to release new every year, especially with DVD players, but the market - read you lovers of this stuff - demand the latest and greatest.

Sorry no upgrade programs with Denon directly, better dealers do that...

Regards,

Jeff Talmadge
post #23 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 01:15 PM

Have any of the recent stock of 5900 include the firmware fix or is it going to be a field update? I'll have one arriving in the next week or two from the next allocation to Denon Canada. In either case, it's shaping up to be a banner spring!
post #24 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Furious,

Don't think so, we don't have any stock! This fix isn't finished yet, so it won't be implemented into production till next month probably.

Regards,

Jeff Talmadge
post #25 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally posted by dpippel
The Special Guests Forums here at AVS have been shut down and closed to posting for over 2 months now.
Whoops! I stand corrected.

Shows how long it's been since I last checked there.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #26 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 01:45 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Does the new fix also fix the HDCP handshake issue with the Sanyo Z2 projector? Or has this already been fixed? Thanks.

John

Quote:
Hey guys....Yes I am still around, but since the Special Guest threads has been shut down I only answer PMs.

I never much posted in any of the threads on our products...however I would like to comment that I am not ashamed of the DVD-5900, it is a great product, is it perfect...No, will there ever be a perfect player...Doubt it. But we will try.

If you have specific questions, do not hesitate to PM me. I will post when new product info is ready for release - you will hear about it before the mainstream - and if we have any updates pertaining to our products. That said, No I can't tell you any specifics at this time on the upcoming products - However I can say that we are replacing the entire line of receivers (7 total models) and all new DVD lineup (5 total models). All will be released starting now with the AVR-3805 on through to October - most will be out by the end of summer.

Which reminds me...stay tuned as we are just about ready to release a fix for the sluggish menu and 'macroblocking' as well as the 1394 compatibility issues.

Regards,
post #27 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Furious,

Don't think so, we don't have any stock! This fix isn't finished yet, so it won't be implemented into production till next month probably.

Regards,
Thanks for the reply Jeff, a field update it will be then!

Adam
post #28 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

John,

That has been corrected and we do have a service fix for those of you with the Sanyo/5900 combination.

Regards,

Jeff Talmadge
post #29 of 744 Old 02-20-2004, 03:44 PM

What about firmware updates for the DVD-2900? The reason I ask is because mine appears to crop a couple of pixels and it also skips sometimes on audio CDs longer than 74 min and there have been some audio dropouts on Dolby Digital DVDs. I've seen some posts about fixes for various DVD problems but nothing about CD.
post #30 of 744 Old 02-21-2004, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Kris,

Couldnt find reference to the Integra DPC-7.1, any chance of the upcoming DPS-10.5 or RDV-1.1 entering the shootout?

Denon Jeff,

Will this update allow the 5900 to jitter correct through I-Link with the Pioneer Recievers?
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page