Very Fresh Firmware List for Panasonic! (RP91 and XP unit discoveries!!) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1154 Old 04-02-2004, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Sango
I need more reviews and comments about the great experience you guys are having! =)

Sango

My XP30 and RP91 play DVD+R's with NO problems, one of which gives my Denon 2200 hell and craps out. Update may have tweaked DVDR playability...even RP91 has no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1154 Old 04-02-2004, 04:30 PM

Quote:

I need more reviews and comments about the great experience you guys are having! =)

Sango

Sango,

I have a DVD-R I burned that has a bad spot in it near the end of the movie where it would hang and stop playing on my RP-91. After upgrading to v262 it plays all the way through now. There is still a little glitch at the bad spot... but at least it doesn't stop playing like before. Maybe I'll try some DVD+R's now that mimason had success with them.

Thanks again for all your help and keep us posted of any other upgrades!
post #363 of 1154 Old 04-02-2004, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

mimason- I can only address the XP-30- My unit did play DVD+Rs and DVD+RW without a hitch before update(and still does thankfully!). I had the original factory firmware before I updated with Sangos find. Just shows how good the original player was.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #364 of 1154 Old 04-02-2004, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I finally got a disk that worked. Tried Blindwrite 4.5.7, Alcohol 120%, both ISO programs and none of them worked. Neither ISO program would even convert the files correctly. All I ever got with any of them was an unreadable disk. Blindwrite 4.5.7 would probably have worked, but my burner didn't have the DAO PW support and I didn't try the other options.

Finally tried Blindwrite 5.1.5 and it worked perfectly. Thanks to Sango for making the upgrade available and everyone else who posted links and suggestions on how to create a disk. I'll report my findings after I run some tests. I had an original firmware RP-82.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #365 of 1154 Old 04-02-2004, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds good Mike! =)

Hmm maybe some people need a burner which supports Raw writing because that's important when it comes to perfect copies with protections as I mentioned.

Sango
post #366 of 1154 Old 04-03-2004, 08:48 AM

After checking with two separate Panasonic part resources, I have now determined that the Panasonic parts department basically has no idea what's what. They don't seem to have any clue as to the differences between the firmware disk and the recovery disk for the XP30, or even if there ARE two disks. They just keep telling me that the recovery disk for the XP30 is part number RFKZD5TR006 (which is what the service docs say), and generally ignored my questions about the firmware disk. One Panasonic rep told me that I would have to check with an engineer, and that they don't have any engineers in the parts department! The paper insert with the recovery disk as received does not even list the xp30 or others with similiar insides, except the rp56. It does probably do the "recovery" process, as I ran it in my "extra" xp30 and it did reset everything back to the factory parameters, but without touching the firmware, which remained at 302 (and without breaking anything, more importantly!).

So, I have concluded that Sango's info is correct, and that the most current (and likely the final) version of the firmware is on the rp82v302 disk, which is PROBABLY part# RFKZD03R004, which goes for about $33. Due to the age of the machines and the nature of product cycles, I would assume that this file is the last word on this firmware.

Now, it's time to go watch some movies! That IS why we're doing all this isn't it - or have I missed something somewhere?

PhiloT

-PhiloT
post #367 of 1154 Old 04-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
MikeSRC,

I tried as you have and have had no luck, even with Blindwrite 5.1.5...any suggestions? My player keeps reading the will read the disc, usually diplays that the sofyware is 4:3 and then playes without doing anything else at all. If I press play while it is playing, it turns off and on and then tries to read for a few minutes without doing anything. Argggh. My player is the CP-72...really, any suggestions would be great.

Bricktop
post #368 of 1154 Old 04-03-2004, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by FrankS
Sango! You are the man!

Absolutely. Many thanks. I go SDI out to an HD Leeza to PLasma. Results are fantastic (and stay digital).

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #369 of 1154 Old 04-03-2004, 10:38 PM

New here Saw Sango's link from HTF.I just wanted to say Thanks to Sango for posting the RAR of the firmware disc.Upgraded my RP56.I had been having some problems with pixelation on various discs."Somethings gotta give" which locked on me last night in two separate spots.Played through the same two spots after the up grade and it played perfectly.My FTP is down at the moment but I expect it to be up by monday.I can put the rar file up.Ill post when its available.Once again THANKS SANGO
post #370 of 1154 Old 04-04-2004, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BrickTop:

Try WinISO or Magic ISO as mentioned in the thread to see if any luck changes. I assume you may not have done them but if they still don't work, I can most likely mail you a copy. Just PM me.

Sango
post #371 of 1154 Old 04-04-2004, 08:30 PM

RAR Files Of Blindwrite Image up On Shareaza which can be accessed by Any Gnutella 1 Gnutella2 or E Donkey Client
post #372 of 1154 Old 04-04-2004, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The download links are available on posts on the start thread

Hope this helps

Sango
post #373 of 1154 Old 04-05-2004, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does anyone also have any expereinces with DVD+- R/RW issues with an XP30 after before and update which have been fixed after an upgrade?

Thanks

Sango
--

BTW: If you have questions, please feel free to PM me but please make sure you read the thread to avoid asking a question which has already been answered in the thread =).

Your friendly neighborhood Panasonic DVD player resource - Sango!! =)
post #374 of 1154 Old 04-05-2004, 06:17 AM

Anyone know if the new rp82 firmware affects the region code settings?
Here in Australia, all rp82s came region free...I'd hate to stuff mine up.
post #375 of 1154 Old 04-05-2004, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi doomsie:

The firmware will affect the region code settings in that case because yours is modified, therefore it isn't a stock. Updating will automatically lose the regions until you get the patched version of the firmware which allow the firmware to talk to the mod chip which is inside the unit. You will need to talk to the store where you got your unit from to see if they can create the patched one for you.

If not, you can try contacting JVB Digital to see if your unit is actually using their own mod kits as some venders use the JVB mod kit. If your mod kit is using JVB then I can file trasnfer that one to you since I do have the patched one. If not, then you need to talk to the place you got it from as I explained above.

Hope this helps

Sango
------------------------------------------

Lol!! All this time, no one pointed out to me that in the firmware list I had a typo. =)

Incorrect:
CP72/RA82/R82/XP30/XP50:

I finally put back the P which is RP82. I wonder why I didn't see until now that but it worked out thou! =)
post #376 of 1154 Old 04-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for posting this. I flashed v 282 to 302 on my Panny CP72. Not sure if there is an improvement, but every bit helps when you're doing FP.

I burned the disc with Blindwrite 5 at 4x onto a couple-year old Imation CD-R. Worked just fine on my Liteon DVD/CD-RW combo drive. CP72 loaded it up fine (but it took quite over 5 minutes to finish flashing).

Works great!
Thanks!!!

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
post #377 of 1154 Old 04-05-2004, 05:55 PM

Thanks for that Sango, but unlike the USA or canada, the rp82s in Australia come region free straight from panasonic - the stores have nothing to do with region freeing the machines. So I'm not even sure whether there is a mod in there...unlikely as it's straight from the manufacturer.
post #378 of 1154 Old 04-05-2004, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Are all Pannys in Australia region free?

post #379 of 1154 Old 04-05-2004, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Doomsie:

I don't think that's true because they do not support units being region free, otherwise they wouldn't put a number on the back of the unit to say what region the unit would be in the first place. The region doesn't just apply to US/Canada, all the other countries as well.

The store where you gotten it from must of modified it and didn't tell you about it. There could of also been an add-on page which saids on to make the regions turn on/off or manual region switch as well too. My R3 RP82 unit is region modified as well which does use the JVB mod kit even thou I gotten it from World Import(they use JVB mod kits).

The Service Disc #2 is a different story because several units(RP82 isn't one of them) were qualified to use the disc and it was like a promotion from what I've heard. From what Dr. Joe has mentioned, Panasonic doesn't seem to be giving them out anymore. If you have luck you can probably get them at some stores in your area if they still have them.

To find out if yours does use a mod chip, just open the case. If you see a chip which is on top of the daughter board with wires going to different areas of the motherboard, then you will know that it's modified.

Hope this helps

Sango
post #380 of 1154 Old 04-06-2004, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe Australia is truly The Free World.

post #381 of 1154 Old 04-06-2004, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by PhiloT
After checking with two separate Panasonic part resources, I have now determined that the Panasonic parts department basically has no idea what's what.

*grin*

I came to this conclusion a long time ago.

Quote:

They don't seem to have any clue as to the differences between the firmware disk and the recovery disk for the XP30, or even if there ARE two disks. They just keep telling me that the recovery disk for the XP30 is part number RFKZD5TR006 (which is what the service docs say), and generally ignored my questions about the firmware disk.

I traded some emails a few years ago with the service department on this topic -- but unfortunately, that was in an account long gone, so I can't print out the responses. As I remember, they will not provide firmware disks for any of their players (except perhaps to authorized service technicians). They want you to physically bring in the units so they can upgrade the players. They are worried that you will improperly burn the firmware and end up with a brick -- and will expect them to replace the unit. They feel safer performing the upgrade themselves (and presumably have spare eeproms with fresh firmware that they can swap in if something goes bad).

I was hoping that the parts department didn't have a clue and that the firmware might be on one of these recovery disks or service and calibration disks -- but if it isn't, then they aren't going to provide firmware disks. Unfortunately, they seem to have gotten this call right.

Quote:

One Panasonic rep told me that I would have to check with an engineer, and that they don't have any engineers in the parts department! The paper insert with the recovery disk as received does not even list the xp30 or others with similiar insides, except the rp56. It does probably do the "recovery" process, as I ran it in my "extra" xp30 and it did reset everything back to the factory parameters, but without touching the firmware, which remained at 302 (and without breaking anything, more importantly!).

This is what one might expect a "recovery" disk to do sans firmware -- reload the factory settings -- does the service manual say it should do something more?

Quote:

So, I have concluded that Sango's info is correct, and that the most current (and likely the final) version of the firmware is on the rp82v302 disk, which is PROBABLY part# RFKZD03R004, which goes for about $33. Due to the age of the machines and the nature of product cycles, I would assume that this file is the last word on this firmware.

Hmm... Well, with the RP91, we had long ago assumed this to be the case, but we have been pleasantly surprised with new firmware versions twice more. I think that they may continue to upgrade firmware as they continue to service units -- probably minor changes that won't greatly effect PQ. The firmware upgrades will only be applied when units are brought in for service.

Why do you think that Sango's disk is RFKZD03R004? Sango, where did this disk come from anyway? An authorized service tech?

Later

Joe

Home Page (click to enter)
RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #382 of 1154 Old 04-06-2004, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Service Disc #2 is a different story because several units(RP82 isn't one of them) were qualified to use the disc and it was like a promotion from what I've heard. From what Dr. Joe has mentioned, Panasonic doesn't seem to be giving them out anymore. If you have luck you can probably get them at some stores in your area if they still have them.

They might still be handing them out -- I was just musing over the DVD FAQ at Panasonic Australia:

http://www.panasonic.com.au/
(click on support, DVD FAQ)

Quote:

Q: What is Panasonic's policy regarding region coding of DVD players?
A: US movie companies stand at the top of the industry in the world software market. To maximize their profits, the US movie companies control their release timing, area and means (movie theatre, VHS for rental, in-flight entertainment etc..) of their titles very carefully worldwide. Therefore, they strongly requested that we adapt the DVD player "locale" or "region code" system within our format. In other words, region code is a major premise of DVD disc introduction by US movie companies. Panasonic strongly support this region code concept. There are many unauthorised modifications to the region codes being done in the market place. We consider the sales of code free DVD players modified by a third party as being a serious problem as it threatens the intellectual property rights of the companies that are providing DVD Entertainment software. Panasonic has in no way authorised modifications of its products for this usage. Modifications to the electronics components of our products void the manufacturers warranty.

Q: Can I have my DVD player, which I purchased overseas, converted for use in Australia?
A: Panasonic in conjunction with other major manufacturers reached an agreement with Hollywood Studios to manufacture DVD players specifically coded to recognise and play DVD movies that match the DVD players pre-programmed assigned country coding. If your DVD Player was purchased in another country, to use in Australia you will not be able to play Australian released DVD Movies which are coded "Region 4", however some DVD Movies may be coded "ALL Regions" and can be played in any DVD Player regardless of which country the DVD Player was purchased. Multi-zoning DVD Players by third party is not illegal, however modifying your DVD Player that circumvents the Region Code Identification will void the manufacturers warranty.

Note that this does NOT say that they won't modify Australian-purchased players to be region free -- just that they don't support third party modifications, modifications on non-Australian players, and that they support the region concept. They may still send the disc to Australians who purchase players in Australia -- although this sugests they may not any more.

Joe

Home Page (click to enter)
RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #383 of 1154 Old 04-06-2004, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Dr. Joe:

The copied RFKZD03R004 disc which I supposingly gotten in the mail is from my contact at Panasonic. In the email, which was forwarded to me by him by the Engineering department, they mentioned this part number.

Sango
post #384 of 1154 Old 04-07-2004, 02:49 AM

Sango,

I have a friend who has an older Panasonic A-112 and asked me to ask if there is a firmware update available for his player. I was going to try the disc I made to upgrade my RP-91 but didn't see the A-112 in the list. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again for all your help!!
post #385 of 1154 Old 04-07-2004, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Yawny:

I'm no so sure if it will work on the A-112 thou since I never looked this up(honestly I never heard of this unit myself). You can try the disc out by simply loading in the disc into the unt to see if it saids you need and update. Chances are you may get the rejection screen which saids your unit is not applicable with the update, which means it isn't for this player.
Hope this helps

Sango
post #386 of 1154 Old 04-07-2004, 11:42 PM

Just sent you a pm with my info. Would like the firware for rv31 please. thx.
post #387 of 1154 Old 04-08-2004, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did you read the thread first? The answer is already mentioned in the thread as discussed.
post #388 of 1154 Old 04-08-2004, 10:09 AM

Just a quick note re: page numbers where info/links are... in any thread on AVS.

It's a lot simpler to tell the post number, which is in the bottom right corner of every post, and doesn't change depending on a user's browser/forum prefs.

...BK
post #389 of 1154 Old 04-08-2004, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Start thread
post #390 of 1154 Old 04-08-2004, 07:11 PM

Would anyone be willing to sell me a firmware upgrade DVD for the Panasonic? I have turned at least a dozen blanks into coasters. I have used Blindwrite, the version that comes with the rar file and the latest one on the Website, as well as Alcohol 120%, with no success. I am guessing it is my DVD burner that is at fault. It is an NEC 1100A.

Update:

I am such a dummy. I just assumed it was supposed to be burned to a DVD. Burning the firmware update to a CD never occurred to me. I guess I didn't read the instructions close enough. I just burned a CD and I think it worked.

Thanks to those who sent me PMs, especially to Ricker who suggested that I burn it to a CD.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page