Originally posted by RockStrongo
If I want a player that will....
Upscale to 720p over component
Not interfere with pioneer receiver (hehe unlike momitsu)
No macroblocking on component
Passes blacker than black
No White crush
Is the zenith what I am looking for?
I read some of the faq, but I thought someone who owns it could help me out. Thanks.
Hey, I thought I saw you post over at the Panasonic S97 thread. If I remember correctly, you have the same TV as I do, the HLP5063?
1) The 318 actually looks quite terrible at 720p. The ONLY output to use with this player, whether component or DVI is 1080i.
2) The DVD player can be made region free, but you need to create a CD to do so. The hack is a listed over at videohelp.com and probably even in this thread somewhere.
3) Don't have the receiver so, can't comment on that.
4) Unfortunately, the macroblocking is visible on both component and DVI, maybe a little worse than the S97. I think the problem is with the Faroudja chip.
5) It passes blacker than black on both DVI and component.
6) No white crush on component, but it's there on the DVI with certain firmware. Sounds like you're going to use component, so not a problem.
If you are using 1080i over component, you just need to make sure to get one of the firmwares that support upconversion over component.
Keep us posted if you decided to get the 318. Since you have the same TV as I (I think) I'd like to hear how it works out for you. I'm pretty happy with mine, except for the macroblocking, especially for the price. It wasn't the macroblocking on the S97 that turned me off, but I just couldn't get it to look as good on my TV as the 318.