post #91 of 258 Old 08-25-2004, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Toastermax
I'm still not convinced. I am tempted to get this but i dont want a player that freezes or is buggy. My wife has put up with all my indulgences so far but if she has trouble playing dvds and has to constantly keep rebooting or something, i may get booted. Is this thing fee from problems? Aslo can it do sacd or dvd audio? if not how good is the sound?

I'm a happy v880 owner. The player locked up on me once, when I overheated it... had it stacked on top of A/V receiver. The player refused to open its tray once... when I had the receiver stacked on it! Otherwise, ZERO problems.

DVI to digital FP is excellent, and is the one area where I would highly recommend it. I don't know if I would bother for a CRT or plasma based display... I'd certainly look for others that have tried the particular combo first. For a component hookup, I'd look to Zenith 318.

It doesn't do DVD-A or SACD. It has digital coaxial and optical outputs.

The remote codes conflict with Pioneer equipment.

I took a chance on it, and got lucky... so far. If it starts to act up, I'll be looking at Denons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 258 Old 08-25-2004, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I am hearing that V880 Deluxe and V880N are going to start shipping this week or next weekly. Reported at V880N thread....have my fingers crossed for this one!
post #93 of 258 Old 09-07-2004, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Extremephono bumped up the price for V880 Deluxe to 279!! This is ridiculous. They first bumped their price for deluxe even before it was released and then delayed. Now again..seems that I shall give that one a pass, unless it outperforms Denon 1910. Lets see how many takers at that price...
post #94 of 258 Old 09-07-2004, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree, it seems odd that the Momitsu is going UP in price, when most other players are going down. They must think they can get it. Maybe they're right.

From what I've read so far, the 1910 doesn't beat the 880.
post #95 of 258 Old 09-07-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Well..I know Denon does not beat it but the price is certainly lower than Momitsu. The only real difference now is region-free and component upconversion. Latter does not bother me a lot...I NEED region-free...but now I doing some serious thinking abt momitsu..cheaper build quality, worse remote, online ordering/return inconveniences...lets see what the reviews are with the new Momitsu
post #96 of 258 Old 09-07-2004, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Momitsu plays 4x3 AR material properly also... 1910 doesn't.
post #97 of 258 Old 09-07-2004, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Ya...but I can live with that since worst case, I shall not upconvert the 4:3 material..and that fixes that issue. Did think of one adv of Momitsu..more responsive with their firmware upgrades...dont know how/if Denon sends upgrades often.
post #98 of 258 Old 09-07-2004, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

When was the last time Momitsu offered a firmware upgrade?

I think they have given up support for our delightful little V-880
post #99 of 258 Old 09-07-2004, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Momitsu have been offering updates every three months or so. It's only been a few days more than three months.
post #100 of 258 Old 09-07-2004, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

what is the buffer memory on Momitsu? Do u notice a layer change on it?
BTW, extremephono just announced that the new price of $279 is also going to go up again!! LOL.
post #101 of 258 Old 09-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

No internet connection for two days because of Frances, and look what's available now!

Anyway, does anybody know what's so "delux" about this new version? I'm ready to place an order but want to know what I am getting for the extra $.
post #102 of 258 Old 09-07-2004, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Layer change delay is about average. About 1 second. More or less depending on the disc. Some discs are better than others for layer changes...
post #103 of 258 Old 09-07-2004, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Also posted this on the other thread, want to see if anyone out here knows the answer:

Does anyone besides Extremepho know abt the V880 Deluxe and if so, what is its price, for USA. Other vendor seem to have lower price for V880 but are not sure abt Deluxe version...whatz going on? I cannot believe only extremephono is getting a new player with better DACs and new remote, etc...
post #104 of 258 Old 09-19-2004, 05:02 AM

I scanned this thread as well as a couple of others, and the manual and could not seem to find any reference to changing the region settings on the 880. Could someone please help me out?

I ran into my first regional coding error the other day......
post #105 of 258 Old 09-19-2004, 05:37 AM

for changing the region coding goto the setup page and the bottom choice will get you there

'this goes to eleven ...'
post #106 of 258 Old 09-19-2004, 05:45 AM

To easy....Thanks CJM.
post #107 of 258 Old 09-19-2004, 05:57 AM

I just got my momitsu V880 setup with my Sanyo PLV-Z2 and sound is output to an OutlawAudio 1050 6.1 channel reciever. I've noticed some issues with sound output on Finding Nemo and now the StarWars Trilogy DVD's (yes I received them early from Deepdiscount) . If I have sound set to Digital\\Encoded. I get lapses in sound every 10 seconds or so that last 1-2 seconds. If I set sound to Analog, everything is good. I'm using the optical cable for output. I thought it might be the momitsu as I'm pretty certain I've watched nemo using this same receiver with a different DVD player and all was well.

NOTE** I have not upgraded the firmware yet on the momitsu. I have the CD (about a month or two old) from Hkflix to upgrade with, but I wanted to verify I had issues before flashing this thing right out of the box.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gatcha~
post #108 of 258 Old 09-19-2004, 06:10 AM

Quote:

I just got my momitsu V880 setup with my Sanyo PLV-Z2 and sound is output to an OutlawAudio 1050 6.1 channel reciever. I've noticed some issues with sound output on Finding Nemo and now the StarWars Trilogy DVD's (yes I received them early from Deepdiscount) . If I have sound set to Digital\\Encoded. I get lapses in sound every 10 seconds or so that last 1-2 seconds. If I set sound to Analog, everything is good. I'm using the optical cable for output. I thought it might be the momitsu as I'm pretty certain I've watched nemo using this same receiver with a different DVD player and all was well.

MEGAGatchaman,

Were the DVDs encoded Dolby 5.1 EX? I have an Outlaw 1050 as well, and there's a known issue with audio dropouts for 5.1 EX encoded material. There's a workaround if you think this is the problem, just let me know.

Ted
post #109 of 258 Old 09-19-2004, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Ted. I think these might be but I'll have to check after work today. Any info you can give me on the work-around?

Thanks again,

Gatcha~
post #110 of 258 Old 09-19-2004, 06:52 AM

MEGAGatchaman,

Here's an e-mail I received from Outlaw Audio on this issue. It's a 1050 issue with nothing to do with the V880:

"Dolby Digital EX is a special Dolby Digital surround track that contains an additional sixth channel of information. This sixth channel is designed to be played back in a center-surround speaker. The symptoms you are describing are most likely caused by the Dolby EX flag encoded on Dolby EX DVD's. To resolve this you must enter the 1050's speaker configuration menu and select 'CS' center surround to 'ON'. This will allow you to play EX encoded material with a 5.1 speaker array without experiencing the momentary dropouts. The following is being reproduced here but was originally posted in the Saloon:

When the Model 1050 was developed almost 4 years ago the design team implemented format flag recognition software that was fully compatible with the then-current DD EX technology. We tested the unit with the discs and test material that was available at that time for certification purposes. Unfortunately, one of the down sides of being so ahead of our time was the fact that the first discs that had the final version of the flag were not released for almost three years after the 1050 was introduced, and during that time it appears that Dolby made some modifications to the original flag software in a manner that makes some EX discs incompatible with the Model 1050 s internal software. This is not a fault of either Outlaw or Dolby, but rather an unfortunate by-product of trying to hit a moving technological target. Since the Model 1050 is not, nor has ever been, advertised as upgradeable we regret that we are unable to revise the software to accommodate the changes that occurred after the product was certified and put into production. Please keep in mind that this issue is only relevant when your system has a 5.1 speaker setup; systems with six speakers are not affected. For those with only five main speakers, the easiest way to get around any flag-related issues is to simply listen to the disc's DTS or PCM soundtrack, as DTS and PCM tracks do not produce this issue. Fortunately, virtually all of the discs that contain the EX flag also offer a DTS sound track. Of course, we might also suggest that you consider adding a sixth speaker so that you will not only resolve this issue but enjoy the full 6.1 soundfield provided on the disc. I am confident that selecting 'CS' in the speaker configuration menu will prevent the audio dropouts that you were experiencing."

Hope this helps.
Ted
post #111 of 258 Old 09-19-2004, 07:02 AM

Ted=teh response master....

Thanks again Ted. This place is awesome. I'm certain that's what I've run into. To bad about the outlaw, dang I still love this receiver though. I'll try adding that last rear surround and/or running the bypass.

Gatcha~
post #112 of 258 Old 09-21-2004, 06:20 AM

HiYall,
Got a Panny 500 Front Projector and a Momitsu 880. I use a 16:9 Screen. The keystoning on the pj is set a zero.
When I come out of the 880 in component, the 16:9 test pictures from Digital Video Essentials fits exactly into the white area of the screen with NO overlap in to black borders. Perfect, just as it should be. When I come out of the Mom 880 in DVI I get overlap into the black and some of the the screen is white, in other words, the geometry with dvi is not the same as with component. There is a difference of about - 1/2'' width and - 3/8 '' height (at 92'' Diagonal) Ceiling mounted, untouched by humans between both tests
What can I do to fix this??? Any ideas out there??? Custom resolution ???
PS: For those of you that are still sitting on the fence wondering if you should but a 880, don't, just buy it - it's great.
Mike

--------
post #113 of 258 Old 09-25-2004, 09:28 PM

Anyone seen the problem I have at the moment with the 880.

Currently, when I put a disk in, it will not play it. No numbers display on the display. I also can't eject the disk. If I just leave it alone, after a while it will just open the tray. Later it will close it.

Any ideas?
post #114 of 258 Old 09-26-2004, 03:59 AM

joubert
I had this problem yesterday, I had put the DVD up side down in the tray.
Also, could be your region setting - go to the secret menu and select the correct region code.
Mike

--------
post #115 of 258 Old 09-26-2004, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Try unplugging the player and plugging it back in. It won't play any disc, correct -- not just this one?
post #116 of 258 Old 09-26-2004, 08:33 AM

Mike, I tried what you said, but nothing. But, I think the problem is bigger.

Paul, I had already tried unplugging it. I even left it unplugged for a few hours.

The first problem I see when I plugin the power is that the green power light is on. But, it never shows any of the "running numbers" stuff. And like I said before, it will open and close the tray automatically, maybe, every 30 minutes.

I wonder if my loader is the problem. Looking at this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=momitsu
talks about it. What also worries me is that the person mentions that support was not that helpful.

I have send email to their support. Will wait for Monday to see what they say (hope they answer in a timley manner).

Also, is there a support phone number I can call?

--joubert
post #117 of 258 Old 09-26-2004, 10:50 AM

Has anyone bought the Monitsu from this site?

http://www.hkflix.com/home.asp

Thanks in advance.
post #118 of 258 Old 09-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Red Dwarf,
I never bought anything from them, but I know many Asian film enthusiasts buy DVDs from them. They have been around for a number of years, so I guess they are alright. My statement won't gurantee anything though.
post #119 of 258 Old 09-26-2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Red Dwarf
Has anyone bought the Monitsu from this site?

http://www.hkflix.com/home.asp

Thanks in advance.

Price for the Momitsu on this site is great. Unfortunately their return policy is the worst. They hit you with a high restocking fee and only offer store/site credit, no refund.
post #120 of 258 Old 09-26-2004, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know of any site that will refund the V880 purchase -- if you decide to return it! Extremephone is the most visible site on this forum regarding the unit and they will not accept returns. I doubt the taipai site will either.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page