Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2006, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerfan View Post

don't mean to butt in for mdray, but those two are different issues. Macrovision is a copyright protection initiated by the motion picture studios. Macroblocking is when you can see some sort of pixelation on the screen. AFAIK it is not seen on every movie but can be very troublesome if you have it. There are alot of threads devoted to macroblocking-just search and you'll pull up all kinds of stuff. I personally have not experienced it on my Momitsu unless I don't know what I'm looking for. And if that's the case I'm none the wiser cause the picture sure looks good to me.

The macroblocking I'm referring to is on the other two players, not the Momitsu, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2006, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerfan View Post

don't mean to butt in for mdray, but those two are different issues. Macrovision is a copyright protection initiated by the motion picture studios. Macroblocking is when you can see some sort of pixelation on the screen. AFAIK it is not seen on every movie but can be very troublesome if you have it. There are alot of threads devoted to macroblocking-just search and you'll pull up all kinds of stuff. I personally have not experienced it on my Momitsu unless I don't know what I'm looking for. And if that's the case I'm none the wiser cause the picture sure looks good to me.

Thanks for the explanation. I am little experienced with DVD player performance, but I like what I see with my Momitsu as well. The only issue I can think of is noise from the loader on occasion. Since I usually listen with earbuds (plugged into the Momitsu's headphone jack), I don't even hear that (for the most part) unless I haven't put the buds in yet. I use the buds because I can hear dialogue better with them (much brighter sound than I get with my receiver and 5.1 speaker system).
Old 11-13-2006, 08:48 AM
JHL
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Today, I watched a DVD I borrowed from my local library. Everything seemed fine, the disk played perfectly and I've been having no problems with the deck. When I was done watching the movie I pressed the eject button but the disk did not come out. Every time I'd press the eject button (remote or on the player), it would make a little noise and then show NoCD in the LCD display. Turning the deck on and off and even removing power entirely did not resolve this. Nothing had happened that would suggest that the disk was disoriented in the machine, however the only thing I could think to do other than removing the drive was to bang the top of the deck (not hard!). After doing that 2-3 times, the drawer did open but only 1/2 way after pressing eject. I could then pull the disk out. It seemed like it was jammed. I put a CD in that I don't need, and again it came out 1/2 way and I had to pull the disk out! I don't see how it could have been mis-oriented in the tray. I'd put it in carefully.

I had a similar problem last night with a brand new copy of "Cars" that I borrowed from Netflix. I stopped the movie and walked over to the player to eject it. When I hit the button, the display showed "Opening" and then quickly changed to "Loading". I could here the disc spinning and it was not simple to make it stop spinning. I hit various buttons, unplugged the player and nothing helped. Finally this morning I tried again and it finally did eject the disc.

John
Old 11-13-2006, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Hello All,

I'm surprized to see this old Momitsu thread making yet another comeback. Anyway,.. I just had my Momitsu 880 apart to experiment with a possible modification.

My Momitsu has been great for me but I can usually spot the layer change everytime I watch a movie (provided the movie spans both layers of the DVD.) It's pretty speedy but I can usually spot it and it's jarring a bit. I was wondering about the possibilty of putting in a fairly new DVD burner because these newer drives have large cache (typically 2 to 8 MB's.)

So,.. I put in my old Sony DRU 500 DVD burner that I have handy and the layer change was faster but not quite what I was looking for.

(Monsters Inc is my reference standard for checking layer change because it's so poorly placed and easy to spot. I suppose Gladiator is even worse but Monsters Inc is usually easier for me to find on the shelf.)

-Brian
Old 11-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

I believe the common wisdom around here was to put in an inexpensive Lite-On player. You don't need a burner, just a DVD player. I think you can get one off stinkbay for about $20. I actually tried it but it was kinda difficult to get the player and the door opening to line up just right and besides my original loader wasn't really broken I just wanted to tinker with it.

Husker Nation is strong!

See "The Vault"
http://members.cox.net/gipper3/hometheater.html

See the weather where I am at!

http://members.cox.net/weatheromaha/weather
Old 11-13-2006, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Yeah, um, thanks,

I know I don't NEED a burner in my DVD player but they are uber cheap these days and I thought the additional buffer (8MB vs 236kb on other drives) may make the layer change seemless. I'm one of the lucky ones for which the original DVD drive in my Momitsu has always worked perfectly. However, the layer change is still notice-able.

(Not nearly as bad as the layer change on my Sony DVD player but still notice-able.)

-Brian
Old 03-07-2007, 10:03 AM

My V880 Momitsu lost the firmware on a storm power failure . The unit lid the power led red and it is lock-up. No remote or manual order is executed. Where I should send it for repair? Please, help.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:08 PM

Hello my fellow Momitsu owners! I just picked up a V-880 for dirt cheap and tried accessing the secret menu. However, I can't get it to come up. Is there a paticular output (DVI, S-video, or composite) I need to be using to view this menu? I'm using component at it's not being displayed.

Update: gave up on the secret menu because I have a bigger problem! Please check out my thread here
Old 08-02-2007, 12:55 PM

Bump for the problem I am having in the update above.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How do you tell what firmware is in the player?

We used to hunt and fish to survive. Now we have to work 50 wks. a year so we can take a couple of weeks off to hunt and fish
Old 11-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

raster, I believe it's in the menu of the player. Just keep trying different menu items.

Husker Nation is strong!

See "The Vault"
http://members.cox.net/gipper3/hometheater.html

See the weather where I am at!

http://members.cox.net/weatheromaha/weather
Old 02-15-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi All,

I bought a new Momitsu V880 DX dvd player for my Sony 1272. My old V880 died.
I set it to run at 1080I thru the DVI output using a adapter that runs my RGBVH cable to my Sony Switcher. Has worked great in the past

I keep getting a message saying it can't run at resolution selected and it says switch to 480P.

No matter what setting It try, the same message comes up.

Any ideas what's going on? Did I get a bad unit? Thanks

We used to hunt and fish to survive. Now we have to work 50 wks. a year so we can take a couple of weeks off to hunt and fish
Old 02-15-2009, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Maybe the newer models have firmware that obey the "rules" now. previously.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 06-21-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Hope it's ok to post this here. Free to a good home, Momitsu V880, the audio has stopped working. If you'd like it, send pm. You pay shipping.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 PM

Does anyone happen to have a soft copy of the 1.1.17 firmware update for Momitsu DVD-880-DX?

The Momitsu site is no longer there. Any help appreciated.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulzter View Post

Does anyone happen to have a soft copy of the 1.1.17 firmware update for Momitsu DVD-880-DX?

The Momitsu site is no longer there. Any help appreciated.

Is this a different (i.e. later?) model than the Momitsu DVD-880? That's what it says on the back of mine.

Edit: Evidently, the DX is a later model that fixed some problems with the earlier one. I did install a different loader. Would the non-DX version use the same firmware?

What's the latest firmware for the Momitsu DVD-880?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 AM

Does Momitsu, as a company, even exist any more? I tried going to their website the last week, but it's offline and has been for quite a while:

http://www.momitsu.com

TLK
Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post

Does Momitsu, as a company, even exist any more? I tried going to their website the last week, but it's offline and has been for quite a while:

http://www.momitsu.com

TLK

Not sure of the status of Momitsu but I do have a suggestion. I bought a Sherwood BDP-5004 Blu Ray player which is an exact clone of the Momitsu BDP-899. I even use it's codes to change regions on the Sherwood player.

The website is www.Sherwoodamerica.com. Not sure what affiliation they have with Momitsu(same manufacutrer, some designers or just bough them out?), but maybe they could help you with some questions about Momitsu DVD players. I called the tech support guy direct(Jin Yoo) and he was very helpful with questions about my Blu Ray player. Again, just a suggestion.