Review of Bravo D2? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
max - where'd you hear on the firmware update??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 06:02 PM

From Vinc....
post #183 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 06:18 PM

So Vinc says they "are working on" a firmware update for the power off/lost settings. Godd to know as this problem afflicts my D2.

When people are talking about IR problems with (was it Panasonic?) receivers, are they talking about the receivers becoming unable to accept commands from their respective remotes after being "exposed to" the Bravos remote? This has started happening with my Harman Kardon AVR7200, and I was going to get my HK remote replaced but if the Bravo is the problem, that is one shortcoming I don't think I'll be able to accept.

Any thoughts?

Aure Entuluva
post #184 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wsiler
No I am not.... Are you?
I am merely offering you how things work in the real world. You should learn how to manage your expectations.

Quote:
What is this pointless drivel you are spouting now Jerry?
drivel? :) I am sorry you fail to understand my point. I should have taken your ‘10’ :rolleyes: post into consideration and been more to the point. Even though it has been already suggested a few times, maybe this will help:

Why dont you take your problem(s) to VINC. Last I looked; the url here says avsforum and not VINC. This is not VINC customer compaint and or whine website. We are here to read D2 reviews.

My final advice is with your unrealistic expectations don’t buy anything online. B&M purchasing usually cost more but should yield better customer satisfaction.

Good luck,

post #185 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxvengeance111
From Vinc....
In ref to the firmware update, I heard the same thing "late" last week.

post #186 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Pease
[b]I am merely offering you how things work in the real world. You should learn how to manage your expectations.

drivel? :) I am sorry you fail to understand my point. I should have taken your ‘10’ :rolleyes: post into consideration and been more to the point. Even though it has been already suggested a few times, maybe this will help:

Why dont you take your problem(s) to VINC. Last I looked; the url here says avsforum and not VINC. This is not VINC customer compaint and or whine website. We are here to read D2 reviews.

My final advice is with your unrealistic expectations don’t buy anything online. B&M purchasing usually cost more but should yield better customer satisfaction.

Good luck,
Jerry,

You are a fool if you think that just because you buy direct you should not expect the same quality as B&M. Not like this was purchased on eBay. There should be fewer chances of product failure with direct purchase not more. You should learn how to RAISE your expectations. You obviously think that DOA players are just a fact of life. Sorry, that is failing by the company in my book. If it were a rarity then it would not be so big a deal. When it happens repeatedly, that is indicative of a greater problem.

Every one of my posts have been relevant to the D2, VINC, and its customer service. My questions have been relevant to the product and the problems at hand. You obviously don't want a review of the D2. You just want POSITIVE reviews of the D2. Otherwise, what are YOU whining about pal? Well, so sorry. I don't have a positive review for you. See if you can cope. For now let me suggest this... You don't like my posts? Don't read them.

Regards,
Wiley
post #187 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wsiler
Jerry,

You are a fool if you think that just because you buy direct you should not expect the same quality as B&M. Not like this was purchased on eBay. There should be fewer chances of product failure with direct purchase not more. You should learn how to RAISE your expectations. You obviously think that DOA players are just a fact of life. Sorry, that is failing by the company in my book. If it were a rarity then it would not be so big a deal. When it happens repeatedly, that is indicative of a greater problem.

Every one of my posts have been relevant to the D2, VINC, and its customer service. My questions have been relevant to the product and the problems at hand. You obviously don't want a review of the D2. You just want POSITIVE reviews of the D2. Otherwise, what are YOU whining about pal? Well, so sorry. I don't have a positive review for you. See if you can cope. For now let me suggest this... You don't like my posts? Don't read them.

Regards,
Wiley
you got you RMA, go and get a life. TROLL !

post #188 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone say enough?

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #189 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 07:46 PM

Dudes...chill out...no one on here is a troll...Wsiler talking about his problem with the D2 is fine on here. I would consider it helpful in a review. Any info on what Vinc is doing about these problems is good.
post #190 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guys: Take it easy. Sometimes difference of opinions does exist and we have to live with it. I do however agree that issues with a product/company should be brought out on such forums as others benefit from it as well. Product Issues can be faced by anyone in the world and knowing how a company does/does not repond is good information for us as it helps us make a right/informed decision. Lets try to keep the thread to report more reviews of D2. Good or bad.
post #191 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 07:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Play nice please or the thread will be closed.

Thank you kindly.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #192 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 07:55 PM

I'm interested in whether we can find a serial number pattern here.

SERIAL NUMBERS (FILL IN THE BLANKS):

Someone who had a DOA unit: ____________

Someone who had a unit with no problems but setting loss and rare occasional half-second freezing (me): SLDAASAE170935

Someone who has a unit and claims to have none of these problems so far (DiscounTech?): ____________

Anyone else, tell us the serial number and where in the spectrum of problems yours lies.
post #193 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 08:00 PM

WOW, I wonder how you'all analyze the cars you've bought or the spouses you have...such passions over a small black box!!!!!! I enjoy listening in.
post #194 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 08:58 PM

Hi troll. Please return to eating children and goats under your bridge. Also, I see you are from San Antonio. Do you happen to be affiliated with that idiotic public access show, The Worst Show?
post #195 of 690 Old 06-15-2004, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by microhof
I'm interested in whether we can find a serial number pattern here.

SERIAL NUMBERS (FILL IN THE BLANKS):

Someone who had a DOA unit: ____________

Someone who had a unit with no problems but setting loss and rare occasional half-second freezing (me): SLDAASAE170935

Someone who has a unit and claims to have none of these problems so far (DiscounTech?): ____________

Anyone else, tell us the serial number and where in the spectrum of problems yours lies.
My symptoms.....

Will load no disks whatsoever...
Settings not retained in memory on power off...
No idea about freezing, never got that far.... ;)

My serial: SLDAASAE170676

Thanks,
Wiley
post #196 of 690 Old 06-16-2004, 05:58 AM

Mark Lareau - The IR conflicts are with Pioneer devices. For example when I hit PAUSE on the D2 remote, my Pioneer receiver changes to FM mode. When I hit the Audio button on the D2 remote the receiver volume level goes down one notch. When I change volume using the Receivers remote, the D2 will perform a next chapter. These are just some examples as there are other conflicts.

Jim Noyd - Any update on the IR issue yet?
post #197 of 690 Old 06-16-2004, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Bischoff
Does your D2 also remember its brightness/contrast settings?
Yes, my D2 also retains its brightness/contrast settings.
post #198 of 690 Old 06-16-2004, 06:19 AM

Mine had...

- "NO CD" issue when loading discs
- Settings not retained in memory
- 1/2 - 1 sec. freezes (but only on the second day of use...hasn't happened since...go figure)

SN: SLDAASAE160098

And returned to V for swap.
post #199 of 690 Old 06-16-2004, 08:47 AM

Did you get a new one yet? Did you make sure they were sending you a brand new unit?
post #200 of 690 Old 06-16-2004, 10:24 AM

I gotta brand new replacement unit. Vinc said they are not sending refurbs - it's too early in the game for that. Unfortunately it had all the same problems (loss of settings, splash screen loss of DVI signal). The loss of setting is typical of what I am seeing here. The loss of DVI signal at STOP or EJECT appears to be unique to something in my environment as no one else has reported it, and my original and replacement did the same exact thing. The odds are that something in my setup is triggering it. Still scratching my head and waiting for tech support to figure it out. No loader issues or lockups here on either unit. I am encouraged that some of the D2's actually hold the settings. There's hope!

I am on the road now and don't know the serial, but I will post it as soon as I get back home.
post #201 of 690 Old 06-16-2004, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Great Gooogleee Woooglee guys ... Some of the responses are overly aggressive and given this I would not wish to get involved with an issue on a forum given the gaping hole created for any answer no matter how rational it seems to the individual. Sometimes you have to allow an action complelling response where the company can be left whole and intact. I don't see that possibility in some of the responses that are a bit too misanthropic in my opinion and only gives rise to additional risk in responding to someone that is or appears to be flailing body blows in every direction. An educated response to this is allow the flailing to continue... as "any" response will just give rise to possible kicking and scratching to be introduced,,, possibly someone biting an ear.

For what its worth, the settings on my demo unit are not resetting at all.

Also found out today that my units had shipped as promised and stated but that somehow Fedex in Memphis screwed up. Therefore guilty myself of assuming the worst but being a rational person I can apologize for my error and move on.. However my customers suffered from my lack of trust by awaiting for their units when I could have checked with my companies phone number and found out several days ago that something went astray and have been in a better position by being a bit more trusting.

The problem is a real problem that affects some of the units ...re losing settings on power down.. The issue as I understand it is that some of the units send out the reset code on power down.. This is being addressed by VInc. as a firmware fix. there is a trigger being the code sent to the unit to reset, and only on some units.. Most every piece of equipment that I know has some reset code to bring it back to the original factory setting. Unfortunately it seems that this has somehow been triggered in some units to send out the code on power down. V Inc is intimitely aware of the problem ... and I am told have been actively working out the remedy.

Given the nature of the problem as described I do not see it as a problem that cannot be fixed with a firmware upgrade. I was advised that this is being worked on and will be addressed shortly. My source at V Inc is reliable to date. She is aware that these products only represent a temporary eye candy solution to most of my customers and that I would prefer to make a complete exodus of the product entirely rather than send out units that cannot be remedied with an easy fix. So I am going to trust these statements made by someone I trust at VInc.. and move on.

It is better to treat every opinion and discontent with respect. The community here is very respectful of others and that is one of the reasons it is one of the best communities I have ever seen. One of the most sensitive areas I find is that when it comes to fun we all want everything to go perfect and every little glitch does take on more importance... but things do happen, especially on a early release. They cant test every unit ... no one does this... If you are Hugh Hefner and you just purchased an Infocus 777 it is a certainty that you will get a unit that is thoroughly checked out by Infocus. Hell I would go there myself to spend a few days checking it out... possibly weeks... Unfortunately we are not Hugh Hefner and have to settle for the vaguaries of being a normal schmo...

Not sure it is a good idea to start posting serial numbers... I wouldnt want my serial numbers for my gear on the internet.

Robert
post #202 of 690 Old 06-16-2004, 02:18 PM

Good post, and I agree, people need to chill out and wait. I trust my source at Vinc as well and will wait for the fix. The player has been great otherwise for me, except for it once having a weird hiccup, but it hasnt happened since.
post #203 of 690 Old 06-16-2004, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mandarax
Not sure it is a good idea to start posting serial numbers... I wouldnt want my serial numbers for my gear on the internet.
I wondered about this too, but when I think about it I'm not sure I can come up with anything anyone could really do with that information. I guess someone could forge the serial number on a unit and send theirs in under my warranty. But seriously, is that really cause for concern? If so we can take them out. :)
post #204 of 690 Old 06-16-2004, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Had the power go out today for about 5 minutes. No loss of any settings. DVI stayed at 720p, video settings stayed just where I'd set them. Every disk has loaded properly. Haven't had problem one as yet. The only qualification I can make to that statement is that I haven't played it hard. One or two CDs a day. Two or three movies each week. :D

Jack

post #205 of 690 Old 06-16-2004, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Now my new d2 should be here in about a week. I live in canada and was wondering how would i get the firmware. would I have to send it back to vinc or take it somewhere, I dont have the connections or the know how to do it myself if i can a little incite please?

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #206 of 690 Old 06-16-2004, 10:03 PM

My girlfriend tried to play a pilates tape, dont laugh, I guess that would be considered video based material, it couldn't see the DVD. If thats the only disc that does that to, I could care less...but if all video based material is like that, then I would have a problem.
post #207 of 690 Old 06-16-2004, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
N8DOGG: I have a D1 and have been able to download the firmware upgrades from V Inc's website then burn the image onto an ISO CD and load it that way so I'd guess more of the same for the D2...
post #208 of 690 Old 06-17-2004, 08:13 AM

max -

I have played several TV series on DVD including Futurama, Family Guy, Red Dwarf, Simpsons. Does this count as video based content? Also I have put in the Queen Night at the Opera DVD-Audio disc and it was able to load up the menu system. There is a video of Bohemian Rhapsody on there somewhere, guess I could try that too, but the disc loaded fine.

Tonight I will try a DVD of my own footage obtained from a Sony DV cam, edited with Adobe Premiere, mastered with DVDLab, and burned with GEAR.

Still, not being able to play a DVD is kind of a pain in the butt. What if it happens in the future to one of your favorite movies?
post #209 of 690 Old 06-17-2004, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fendesj
Mark Lareau - The IR conflicts are with Pioneer devices. For example when I hit PAUSE on the D2 remote, my Pioneer receiver changes to FM mode. When I hit the Audio button on the D2 remote the receiver volume level goes down one notch. When I change volume using the Receivers remote, the D2 will perform a next chapter. These are just some examples as there are other conflicts.
Thanks fendesj, for the clarification. Turns out my AVR's remote is toast & it's not the Bravo's fault. With the exception of the power-off/settings lost issue, it seems I have a good unit!:)

Aure Entuluva
post #210 of 690 Old 06-17-2004, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Microhof - as far as not being able to play one of your favorite movies, of the 100 or so movies I've played on my D1, the only one that wouldn't play at all (even after all of the resetting, tray-opening and cursing) was Swingers ..and yes it's ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES!

Jasman
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page