Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 89 Old 06-02-2004, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
PSB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man, what a disappointment!! I received my brand-new, shiny silver Bravo D2 DVD player the other day and was overjoyed at the prospect of using it with my Sharp Z10000 projector. Prior to this, I had a Bravo D1 connected to my Sharp PJ using DVI output---worked flawlessly ever since I got it. The only thing I didn't like about the Sharp with this setup (DVI) is that it didn't let you change contrast or brightness. So, ever since I heard about the new Bravo D2 having these features to change brightness and contrast using DVI, I knew I had to have it. Well......I got it all set up and......WTF!!.....the panel controls don't work! .....the remote works only intermittently........DVI output doesn't work!........I've read the manual from cover to cover and tried numerous times to reset the machine by unplugging/plugging, but to no avail. I've tried contacting V, Inc. with e-mails and phone calls but no response. Except for the shiny silver casing, the quality doesn't seem any better than the D1..........as a matter of fact, right now, it's crap and I'm putting my D1 back where it belongs. Denon , Sony, and others can do a much better job than this......where are you guys?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 06-02-2004, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
PSB

BTW, I've tried to turn the unit off with the remote and the display reads "off"..........and it has stayed that way for the past 2 days!
post #3 of 89 Old 06-02-2004, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
PSB

Oh......one more thing, the stupid machine won't eject my disc for the past 2 days and there's no manual "eject" button!..........which idiot designed this thing?!

post #4 of 89 Old 06-02-2004, 09:50 PM

Hey Jim or anyone else from Vinc, are you helping this guy out? I just ordered my D2, I was really looking forward to it, this is disappointing. The fact that Vinc is charging an extra fifty bucks more then the D1 and more then the new Samsung 841, which granted doesnt push blacker then black, but has SACD, DVD Audio, and comes with a DVI cable...hopefully, and I know this sounds selfish, but hopefully you are the only one who has this problem...very weird.
post #5 of 89 Old 06-02-2004, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
PSB

I was hoping.....really hoping that V, Inc. learned about the quality control and ergonomic problems with the D1 in the past........BUT if my D2 is any indication, they should go out of business.......this thing feels lighter than my PDA....the remote is the size of a small brick and even though it has what appears to be "lightable" buttons, it doesn't have a backlight!.....what's worse, the reverse/play/forward/pause buttons are nothing more than small, slit-like black things on the very bottom of the remote. This is the worst/cheapest piece of electronic equipment I have ever seen.
post #6 of 89 Old 06-02-2004, 10:16 PM

Tell you the truth, I never care very much for remotes...the D1 was pretty crappy too, but I have a good remote so I don't care. No one has responded to you????at all??? That seems weird to me, they have always been quick to respond to me.
post #7 of 89 Old 06-02-2004, 10:29 PM

PSB, sorry to hear about your new toy. But why not send it back to seller for repair or refund?

Clatto! Verata! Nnyaarrghahum(coughcough)!!
post #8 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 731
PSB

The eternal optimist in me says that you got a bad unit. If you can ever get V Inc to respond to you, I think you'll be able to get a replacement that works well.

These situations are where patience pays off. Just keep plugging away at V Inc until you reach a resolution.
post #9 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally posted by JimP
These situations are where patience pays off. Just keep plugging away at V Inc until you reach a resolution.
Considering that the most likely purchaser of a unit from V Inc is going to be someone from this board, you would hope that the QC dept. had been beefed up for a launch of a new product. Especially after a dismal beginning with the D1. I understand that 90% of the posts on boards like this are negative, but there is a saying - Good experience, you tell one person, bad experience, you tell ten.

[rant]
Is it too much to ask to buy something and have it work the first time? Its time for companies to step up and start providing good quality products. Most of them have shipped their labor over to China or Malasia or wherever to help reduce their costs, but this shouldn't mean a reduction in quality. And I'm not just talking about DVD players either. TVs, Cars, Appliances, Software. If you want to charge me a good chunk of change becuase you have such a great product, then test the hell out of it and make sure it works. I know that I am only one person, but I vote with my wallet and I guarantee that if I buy a product and it fails to work as advertised, its going back and that company will be banned from my home. I've done it with restaurants and cars, why not electronics too.
[/rant]

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #10 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I chuckle everytime I read complaints about Vinc. Why would you support these people especially with the D1 flaky reliability when there are better options available (Momitsu, Zenith/LG, and myriad of upcoming players). Granted if it works the image is beautiful but I would rather take my chances with Momitsu who uses the same chipset and has equal DVI performances (minus the color controls on DVI but calibrating the display should compensate for that).

Huey ;-]
post #11 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

not to try to change anyone's mind here but 5-10% of product coming off assembly lines has a defect that passed quality control. There is also the issuse of damage due to shipping from the factory to warehouse then to dealer and then to you.

Now before you get your boxers further wadded up might you think you just have a one bad unit???

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan..." - The Dark Knight
post #12 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 07:27 AM

Hmmmm...

Has anyone wondered if the Vinc D2 is made by Momitsu??? The "OFF" message sounds just like the Momitsu with the previous drivers. A coincidence that the D2 was released about the same time as the last firmware upgrade on the Momitsu???

And you can't eject the disk in the Momitsu if you are in the Setup menu.

And... Momitsu has been having a supply shortage recently. Maybe because they build the D2?

Sounds very fishy. The Momitsu has had the picture controls the D2 now has for quite some time BTW.

I'm pretty sure both units are using the Sigma board anyway - so they are essentially identical even if VInc has no relationship to Momitsu.
post #13 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
PSB-
Can't you toggle through the video output modes from the remote control using the TV Mode button to DVI 480p/720p/1080i?

If it has a front panel display that is dark, the unit is DOA, send an email to techsupp@vinc.com and cc: me, jim_noyd@acker.com.

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #14 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 08:25 AM

I guess the only reasons I am going with the D2 is this...every player that has this upscaling feature that costs under three or four hundred dollars has had major issues. People who buy new loaders and power supplies or whatever to fix these players, in my mind, are stupid and missing the point of buying a DVD player. Its to enjoy watching movies, without a hitch, period. Vinc said they fixed everything with this player and maybe they haven't, I dont know. The Samsung 841 I brought back still has the black crush problem. It seems to me that these companies really do beta test the product on the consumer...which is a crap thing to do. If the D2 has even one little tiny problem, its gone and I will never buy a product from Vinc again.
post #15 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 08:26 AM

Considering what a bomb the D1 was... buying another product from this company sounds like a real act of faith. Sorry for you misfortunes, folks.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #16 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey
I chuckle everytime I read complaints about Vinc. Why would you support these people especially with the D1 flaky reliability when there are better options available (Momitsu, Zenith/LG, and myriad of upcoming players).
Exactly word for word was I was thinking...

Some people like to suffer... :rolleyes:
post #17 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 09:13 AM

Its not that I like to suffer...just some of us can't efford a Home Theater like you have...
post #18 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 09:14 AM

And some of us can't spell...afford...lol
post #19 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 09:50 AM

I'm not sure "afford" is the only issue.

"afford" and "value" are two attributes of the buying decision. For example, I for one can afford both the Momitsu and the Denon 5900 but I can't stomach a $1500 player that is region 1 and limited DVI.

I bought the Momitsu for the "value" offered - good price, great functionality. I can't see spending +1200 for what the Denon offers - for example. Little value ton of cash.
post #20 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 09:53 AM

Dude, check out the 'edit' feature....
post #21 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 09:55 AM

The 880 had issues as well....
post #22 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Its not that I like to suffer...just some of us can't efford a Home Theater like you have...
Let's rephrase this to "It's not that I like to suffer but I just can't make do w/o a dvd player in order to save more money to get a better player".

I couldn't afford the sub I wanted so I did w/o for a while. I guess I could have gotten something cheaper to make do but why when I know I will get what I pay for IMHO.

I just recently thought I'd try a cheaper player out and it crapped out within the first 5 hrs total of usage. While it isn't a V'inc product I wonder if we are expecting too much out of a $200 product? It's almost like expecting great taste out of a $3 restaurant hamburger. Once in a while you get a good one but often you do not.
post #23 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 01:04 PM

Some people like to suffer...

So far I'm not aware of a problem-free unit that those of us with non-HDCP DVI pjs can use. At any price. Momitsu is an an alternative to Vinc, and I'd probably have a slightly higher degree of trust in the 880 over the D1, but I'd be expecting to do at least some of the mods discussed in volume on this board. The D2 held the promise of being the 880/D1 with the mods already done, and perhaps a couple bonus features.

Perhaps Levesque or Huey can direct me to a better brand? I am quite willing to spend up to a grand for a reliable unit with the afore-mentioned criteria.
post #24 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

you guys make this seems like a big deal, only one person have problem with D2,

I really don't think D2 is a bust; We can't base just by one person experience.

Maybe his got a lemon, send it in, have it replace, then see what happen to the second unit.

Remember D1 and V880 both has loader issue, I hope D2 has no loader issue at all; And it's the picture quality and stable loader that I'm after.

I should wait and see what other D2 owner say about this unit.

Sorry PSB, but I think you just got a bad unit, you should exchange it for another one and see what happen - Give D2 another try.

Baja
post #25 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
PSB

Nah........given the history of Bravo players, I'm giving up on this unit........I've had it with being a "beta-tester" ........gonna wait for better and more reliable brands coming out this year.
post #26 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Wind
not to try to change anyone's mind here but 5-10% of product coming off assembly lines has a defect that passed quality control.
got any facts???

post #27 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 02:44 PM

The fact I see here is that this brand sees a lot of bad press and trouble threads in places like this. Can't make any concrete figures out of it, but I know this much: I'll never buy anything from this company.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #28 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey
Momitsu who uses the same chipset and has equal DVI performances (minus the color controls on DVI but calibrating the display should compensate for that).
I can adjust the brightness/contrast/saturation via DVI with my V880. Does the D1/2 do something differently?
post #29 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

I was waiting for the D3, but will probably pass, untill real HD-dvd comes out. Having tried the Zenith dvb318, and it not being compatible with my television on component, the Denon 1600 and not seeing enough difference from my current player (sony dvp-ns755v) to justify another player, I was hoping the D2's would get some praise when they made it to the beta testers... I mean "consumers". I figured that if the D2 worked well, maybe Vinc got their act together, and I would try one of there products. I know that this is the first posting of someone who has a actual unit in their hands, but it is ironic. Hopefully the samsung 941 will get it right, otherwise I'll be waiting for the new Denon's at the end of the year.
post #30 of 89 Old 06-03-2004, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 122
we should arrange a tour of V Inc's facility and make a stop by the Quality Control department to see how big it is (hee hee)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page