I'm convinced all DVI players are bad!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have spent days in this forum trying to find a DVI DVD Player that would work well with my soon to receive Samsung DLP HL-P4663W.

Well my conclusion is none of the currently available players are of exceptional or even good consumer quality. From reading these posts every single one of the players had issues.
I am not interested in players that aren't out yet -- go back a few months and the high speculation about upcoming players result in the same negative posts weeks after their releases. Given this it is safe to say the same will happen with players to be released this fall. Why? My guess is the technology just isn't there and manufacturers are scrambling to get it right so will continue to release two or more new models a year (e.g. 931, 841, 941, etc).

In the end the player that had the least number of issues is the Momitsu V880 which I finally decided to go with. Will I regret my decision -- sure I will especially when I read in late August how good the 941 is. Now in late September when I read just how bad the 941 is I'll probably be happy I stuck with just one model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3424 Post(s)
Liked: 4008
bxs122 -- Your conclusion that picking a DVD player these days is a matter of selecting the least flawed one reflects my own. I, too, bought a Momitsu V880, which I have connected to my 50" RCA DLP RPTV via a DVI cable. The picture is stunning and the sound is excellent, too. Unlike too many who bought early models of the V880 I have experienced no stability problems -- it has been as stable as a light switch. Its remote, IR receiver, and on-screen displays aren't great but those weaknesses haven't prevented me from enjoying a first class movie experience whenever I have decided to watch a DVD

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #3 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by gwsat
bxs122 -- Your conclusion that picking a DVD player these days is a matter of selecting the least flawed one reflects my own. I, too, bought a Momitsu V880, which I have connected to my 50" RCA DLP RPTV via a DVI cable. The picture is stunning and the sound is excellent, too. Unlike too many who bought early models of the V880 I have experienced no stability problems -- it has been as stable as a light switch. Its remote, IR receiver, and on-screen displays aren't great but those weaknesses haven't prevented me from enjoying a first class movie experience whenever I have decided to watch a DVD
Thanx for the feedback -- unfortunatley I am back on the fence after having just read a mammoth thread on problems with the V880. I am either going to go with the V880 or the DVD-HD931...why DVD-HD931, no other reason other than the set I am getting is also a Samsung.
Very very down given all the negative posts in this forum; at this point I'd settle on a unit that just no known mechanical issue since any level of mechanical issue can never be made up in PQ.

post #4 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 07:43 AM

bxs122 -- I would take such complaints with a grain of salt. After all, virtually all of us who post here are gear-head techies -- me included -- who tend to go into detail when describing a particular piece of a/v gear's failings. This, I think, tends to make the problems any device suffers from seem both more frequent and severe than they really are when viewed by real world standards.

I still think that either the Momitsu or the Zenith 318 are the way to go these days but there are some risks involved -- although I believe them to be only moderate.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #5 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 122
None of the current DVI upscaling players are perfect. That is far from bad.

Reading reviews of DVD players will show that no DVD player is without some fault, so it isn't a perfect world.

I have a Zenith 318 and have been very happy with both the PQ and the mechanical operation of the player. For less than $200 I'm getting a better DVD presentation than I have ever gotten on my HD ready set.

These forums are very helpful in finding the best player for your needs. Some of the issues with the player I have are limited to use with a front projector, which I don't have. Others relate to more technical measurements, which most agree aren't visible during regular DVD viewing.

Some people find the absence of a particular feature a show stopper. For example, the 318 doesn't display the time remaining while playing a disc. I don't find this significant, while others do.

In the end, if you let your eyes be your guide, any of the upscaling DVD players will likely do a superior job to their non upscaling counterparts, until you hit very high price points.

Some of the initial problem areas on the players, such as poor disc loaders, appear to have been rectified with the current models.

Considering what each of us paid for our displays, it makes sense to me to invest a few dollars in a player that will deliver the most that the current DVD medium has to offer.
post #6 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally posted by gwsat
My sentiments exactly. I got my V880 literally days before the latest firmware update. One of the first things I did was update the firmware (I hadn't even played a DVD in it first) and have no stability issues either.

Bsx122,

The reason I got the V880 is because I originally had the Samsung 931, which had lip sync issues (I'm sure you read about them in other threads). I finally couldn't stand it anymore so I did some research on these boards and finally settled on the V880. I have not once regretted the decision. FWIW...
post #7 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
gwsat is right. Many of us are "gear heads" who can pick most A/V equipment apart in minutes whether it be picture/audio quality, construction quality, remote quality -- you name it. If there's a flaw to find *it will be found*. That's the enthusiast's side of the coin, and, believe it or not, it is part of the fun for the enthusiast.

The other side of the coin is the practical side where most of the general public resides. That is, "is it good enough to enjoy"? The vast majority of the equipment for the vast majority of the people *is* good enough to enjoy. Sure there are returns because of a missing feature or whatever -- it happens. But, most people like or settle with what they finally decide on.

I have the Momitsu V880. I don't have it because it does everything so great (it doesn't from a technological point of view) but because I wanted to see what the "upconversion fuss" was all about and have fun modifying it. The "gear head" aspect. Is it a truly great player? I don't think so. Has it been fun to use? Do I enjoy it? Absolutely.

So, amongst all the upconverting DVD players, which ones are good enough for the general public to enjoy? Probably all of them (except for the, apparently, recalled Toshiba SD-5960).

IMHO
post #8 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Instead of getting a player that features outdated DVI, why not consider a player that features HDMI.

The Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi seems to be a rather nice player. You also get Firewire for ALL audio formats and HDMI that is compatible with DVI connections on your monitor using an adaptor or a Monster Cable that features each connector.

Hell hath no fury, like a women's scorn for Sega - Broadie.

Segaboy out..........
post #9 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Segaboy
Instead of getting a player that features outdated DVI, why not consider a player that features HDMI.

The Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi seems to be a rather nice player. You also get Firewire for ALL audio formats and HDMI that is compatible with DVI connections on your monitor using an adaptor or a Monster Cable that features each connector.
The Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi is no doubt a fine DVD player -- but with a street price of about $1,000 or more, see the link, it should be:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ff&sa=N&tab=wf

Few if any of the more popular upconverting DVD players discussed here cost as much as $300. The well thought of Zenith 318, for example, costs only $ 160.

post #10 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I agree. Every DVI player, with the possible exception of the $2000 Denon 5900, is seriously flawed in one way or another : unreliability, black crush, white crush, and on and on.

At this point there are only two I would consider: Samsung 941, or Panny S97, neither of which has been released. But if the 941 is like the 841 it will have black crush, and not be very reliable.

The problem w/the Panny is that it has changed MPEG decoders from their good players, and it is unknowm at this point if it will use Faroudja. If it doesn't, you then have to worry about the quality of deinterlacer and scaler it does use.

There is also a Sony model coming out, but it may have the chroma bug depending on the MPEG decoder it uses, its deinterlacers have varied from poor to good, and its scale is unknown. All three of these players are HDMI, not DVI which is no big deal.
post #11 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanx all -- good stuff.

So where did you all buy your V880??

I ordered the 931 having forgotten about the LipSynch issue. Was the LipSynch issue specific on DVI on a set other than Samsung. Maybe it is not an issue for Samsung to Samsung. Anyway come Monday I'll probably change my order and cancel the 931. My gut tells me V880.
post #12 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just like yourself, I am too looking for a decent DVI player. And assuming none would be perfect (and I do not have $2K for a 5900 or even $1K), I
am going to keep my preference to one under 500.

In that market, the ones that I have narrowed down to, are Momitsu V880, Panasonic S97, Bravo D2 (though apprehensive), Samsung 941 and Zenith. Even Sony has announced a new player and Denon is probably announcing tomorrow (although they are generally over 1000 for DVI players).

Now, Panasonic S97 is not out as yet (coming in August/Sep). Momitsu and Zenith are coming out with their 'updated' players in July/August. Samsung 941 maybe August. So....I guess unless you really want a player right away, I would recommend you wait for some of the above to come out and you can then get some feedback on this forum before making a decision. That is atleast my plan.

And yes, if you do plan to buy Momitsu, wait for their 'updated' player, due out in mid July, according to Extremephono's website (http://www.extremephono.com/momitsu_dvd_v880.htm)
post #13 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

I got a Bravo D2. The first night I had it hooked up I got the "No CD" message. After turning the unit off and on it loaded the DVD fine. Since then I haven't had any problems. And the PQ is great on my Sony HS20. I recently updated the firmware and it fixed the power off/memory problems. After about 1 month and maybe 10 movies I haven't had any problems.
post #14 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 07:48 PM

Why even bother with a DVI player? Everyone on here complains about what crap they are. I have a JVC that works perfectly with a component connection.
post #15 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Because for $200-$300 you can have a DVD player that rivals much more expensive DVD players. From what others have said, it rivals the best DVD players available. In my home theater I started with a Toshiba 6200. This was a $1000 player when I got it about 4 years ago. It looked very good via component cables to my HS20 projector. I recently got the Bravo D2 and it blows away the Tosh 6200, not even close. Comparing the D2 playing SW: AOTC verses the HD version on HBO the D2 holds up very well. As many people have said DVD via DVI is the closet thing to HD. I'm crossing my fingers that my D2 stays healthy!!!
post #16 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSOgymrat
Why even bother with a DVI player?................

didn't mean to be rude. But - isn't it technology goes forward, not backward?

Most people here that are using DVI / HDMI now would never wanted to go back and use components, that’s like a step backward for them (me included). If you have any doubt about this, then, tell me why most thread posted here are about DVI / HDMI player related? That’s because DVI players are so hot right now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Whitehead
I agree. Every DVI player, with the possible exception of the $2000 Denon 5900, is seriously flawed in one way or another : unreliability, black crush, white crush, and on and on.

don’t know about that. If you follow up with 5900 threads, it has its own fault too – Streatches 4:3 materials, Edge Enheancement, MacroBlocking, and so on. And at $2000 – I’m sorry, but don’t know about you, if I’m gonna drop $2000 on a DVD player, that $#!^ better be perfect, but it ain’t.

so, gotta agree that there isn’t a perfect upconvert dvi/ hdmi player out right now.

But with what’s available now, ie.

D2
V880
DVB-318
HD-841 / 931 / 941
59AVi

And the up-coming

S97
D3
V88N
Denon, Sony and Onkyo

Choose any of these players from the above, I don’t think anyone would ever look back.

Baja
post #17 of 81 Old 07-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bxs122
Thanx all -- good stuff.

So where did you all buy your V880??

I ordered the 931 having forgotten about the LipSynch issue. Was the LipSynch issue specific on DVI on a set other than Samsung. Maybe it is not an issue for Samsung to Samsung. Anyway come Monday I'll probably change my order and cancel the 931. My gut tells me V880.
Brian,

Why don't you keep the 931 and also order the D2 / V880?

I've got both -

931 for Badly flag DVD disc and V880 for most DVD viewing.

Makes sense to me :)

Baja
post #18 of 81 Old 07-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

I bought my V880 as a stop gap until the HD dvd players come down the pike. I can't see buying a high priced unit which will be obsolete in a year or two. (or less)
For the price paid for the Momitsu, I think it does a terrific job and I will have no problem retiring it in a years time. Also, a year from now or sooner, I hope to have a projector that accepts DVI-D as well (I have a Z1 now) to really take advantage of the DVI output.
post #19 of 81 Old 07-12-2004, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaFishin
Brian,

Why don't you keep the 931 and also order the D2 / V880?

I've got both -

931 for Badly flag DVD disc and V880 for most DVD viewing.

Makes sense to me :)

Baja
Not sure I understand comment '931 for Badly flag DVD'

Actually your idea of getting two is a good one. I may do that when I see how much TV Stand real-estate I have on the new set.
post #20 of 81 Old 07-12-2004, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Depending upon how it tests out I expect the Panasonic DVD-S97 to be my last DVD player purchase until the HD-type DVD players start rolling out at less than bankruptcy-inducing prices.

If that one doen't pan out, maybe the Samsung 941 or the Sony.

If none of them pass muster, I'll be quite happy with the DVD-XP50 and V880.
post #21 of 81 Old 07-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

I think the Bravo is a decent product. But there is no doubt that many people have had problems with both the D2 and D1. The majority of the problems have been loader problems. What I don't understand is that I have one of the cheapest Sony DVD players made in my guest room. I think it was $129 when I bought it 3 years ago. (Comparable model would be about $89 today.) It hasn't had one problem loading any DVD, CD, CD-R that I have put in it. Not one ever. If Sony can put that kind of loader in an $89 player, why can't Vinc or Momitsu get a decent loader in there product. Can't cost that much.
post #22 of 81 Old 07-12-2004, 11:20 AM

I'm still waffling about DVI because of all the bad reviews.

The bottom line is how much to you lose in terms of reliability and features by going DVI? And how much do you gain?

I've seen many posts from owners saying they can't really see the difference between DVI and a good scaling player with component. If that's true why bother with DVI at all? Wouldn't you be better off with a comparably priced unit without all the reliability and feature problems? It seems like the gains are frequently theoretical.

I'm tempted by the V880, but when I read that it loses config when it loses power, my jaw hit the floor. That's not an inconvenience; that's unusable. WAF as bad as it could be.

I also worry about the poor reviews given its subtitle generation. Can you watch subtitled dvds comfortably on a V880? Or is it just frustrating?

I'm back to considering HTPC. It's a bear to set up, but at least once it's set up it won't lose config if the power goes out.
post #23 of 81 Old 07-12-2004, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My take on this discussion is as follows.
There was a lot of hype created around DVI/HDMI that also led to some groundless hopes and expectations: many people were waiting for DVI players to witness a miracle .. and it did not happen. The reason: DVI or HDMI are not designed to "improve" video signal, but to retain the original signal and deliver it with no degradation/alteration to the display.
But this also means that as it has always been before, the resulting picture quality still depends on the design and quality of MPEG decoders, deinterlacers, scalers, ....
So, even if you bundle a perfect DVI interface with a mediocre DVD player, the resulting picture will still be mediorce.
Now, that was thoery, and as usually the sad reality shows that DVI/HDMI interfaces have some issues of their own (as mentioned above in the thread). I am sure this is a short term problem: both DVI and HDMI are coming of age and I am sure very soon they will rectify those couple of glitches. What is more troublesome is that in any price range hardly any DVD player has faultless video circuitry (decoders, deinterlacers, scalers). That technology has been around for so long and should have been mature and almost perfect by now, but it is not. Perhaps, the roots are in a loosely written DVD spec, or maybe in the fact that manufacturers don't care.
Another factor that I see is often overlooked when people are reviewing their DVI DVD players is the quality of thier displays. They too often have some issues related to resolution, scaling, ....
But we seem to forget about all this complexity and blaim DVI or HDMI for not delivering the miracle.
Personally, I do not see as much of a technological leap between analog component and digital (DVI/HDMI) signals. The difference will mostly come into place with the further penetration of the bandwidth-hungry HDTV, especially 1080P. But for now, since we mostly watch regualr DVDs and broadcast, analog components signal seems to be doing just fine. The only motivation for me to go with a DVI/HDMI DVD player is its upscaling capabilities, that on most brand name units are limited to digital output due to copyright issues.

In Blu-Ray Veritas!
post #24 of 81 Old 07-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

qbjkv,

I think you're thinking about the D2 - losing setting when power off the unit or lost power. But Vinc fixed this by update the new firmware, so this isn't an issue anymore.

Anyway, I don't really want to get into argument with DVI vs. Component. But with DVI the improvement is definitely there - Digital is Digital. Think about back then in the 80's when CD first came out - A high-end $5000 cassette deck vs. $300 CD player, which one has better sound quality? I think you can answer that yourself.

Thank You

Baja
post #25 of 81 Old 07-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Am I correct in my thinking in that I have my Momitsu hooked up to my Z1 thru the DVI output to the Z1's VGA imput that this is an analog signal and there should be no real benefit doing it this way over component? It looks to be a better display, but is this due to the fact that I can scale it to an almost 1 x 1 mapping? or is the DVI ouput just better for analog and digital both?
post #26 of 81 Old 07-13-2004, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cappra
Am I correct in my thinking in that I have my Momitsu hooked up to my Z1 thru the DVI output to the Z1's VGA imput that this is an analog signal and there should be no real benefit doing it this way over component? It looks to be a better display, but is this due to the fact that I can scale it to an almost 1 x 1 mapping? or is the DVI ouput just better for analog and digital both?
I think you are correct ... you've converted to an analog signal.
Which product did you use to convert DVI to VGA?
post #27 of 81 Old 07-13-2004, 05:29 AM

I just got my Samsung 50" HLN and decided to do an experiment. I have a JVC progressive scan DVD player (cost $350 2 years ago) with component connection and bought a Samsung DVDHD841. I connected the JVC over component and the Samsung over DVI, put rented 2 copies of Kill Bill Vol I and played them simultaneously. Switching back and forth I could see an obvious difference between the two. The Samsung's colors were much more accurate, even with tweeking the component connection. More impressive were the lack of motion artifacts on the Samsung. I had read about the limitations of the DVDHD841, i.e. black crush, and had every intention of returning it to the store but the player has won me over.
post #28 of 81 Old 07-13-2004, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Folks:
I recommend that you go look at a review of the Bravo D1 in last October's WideScreen Review. It had a very well-done discussion of the relative merits of DVI for different display types. The short version is that DVI allows the reduction (or elimination in the case of digital displays) of digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital conversions which are a major source of noise in the image. While digital displays can benefit the most (assuming an all digital signal path), eliminating any D/A and A/D conversions with a CRT-based display is likely to improve PQ. Combine DVI with a DVD player that has good MPEG conversion and upscales to the native rate of the display and you have a killer combination - again, mostly with regards to a digital display.

mnilan
post #29 of 81 Old 07-13-2004, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

bxs122,
The Momitsu V880 will pass the DVI-D (digital) or DVI-A (analog) thru it's DVI output. The cable I bought had the DVI-A connection on one end, VGA connector on the other.
post #30 of 81 Old 07-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

If you own a samsung dlp, you must own a dvi dvd player. No amount of tweaking will get you to a point where a component dvd player would look as good. Dvi is a must for samsung. If you already own a sammy dlp with a component dvd player and think its looks fine, you are missing out big time.

Troublesome as they may appear, the payoff with the dlp is astounding and you should absolutely get one.

All players are screwed up in their own way, but as ive said b4, the momitsu with a new loader is about as good as it comes right now for a reasonable price.

If anybody with a fixed panel display thinks that these dvi players are not worth it, well im done trying to convince ppl.

The fact of the matter is, its really your loss, sad to say.
As far as im concerned, the momitsu was the best 250 i spent on my system bar none. No other component has given so much performance boost for so little money.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page