Upconverting DVD Player Options/Impressions - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2453 Old 10-18-2004, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm recently got a Zenith E44W46LCD and now I am in the market for an upconverting dvd setup. I am a computer geek so doing a HTPC is totally within my ability, however I am a DVDA and SACD collector, so that rules out a strick HTPC option being there is no such thing as a PC sacd player. Right now I am either looking at setting up a HTPC and getting a DVDA / SACD capable player / backup dvd player, OR buying a denon 2910 and not doing a HTPC. I know the denon is a quality player, but I'd miss out on all the HTPC fun of surfing the net, having a media center etc... If I were to go the htpc and dvda/sacd/backup dvd player, I would obviously want to spend as little as possible on the dvd player. The Samsung HD841 is priced reasonably, but the reviews on this site have been fairly negative. Is this samsung so bad that I wouldn't want to use it as a backup? Is there another low-priced upconverting dvd/dvda/sacd player that I am overlooking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2453 Old 10-19-2004, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Sony DVP-NS975V Up-Scaling DVD/CD/SACD Player

The shipping date for the order I placed on August 10 with Amazon.com for this Sony just changed from 10/15 to 12/17! This is not good news!
post #273 of 2453 Old 10-20-2004, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by csimington
The shipping date for the order I placed on August 10 with Amazon.com for this Sony just changed from 10/15 to 12/17! This is not good news!

Are you KIDDING?! Wow, what the heck's that about?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #274 of 2453 Old 10-21-2004, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This does sound strange since there are members who bought at SonyStyle.com saying that there player has been shipped out. Conflicting!
post #275 of 2453 Old 10-21-2004, 09:34 AM

I was wondering if the new ship date had anything to do with the pricing that Amazon gave me back in August. It was 10% off with free shipping and no tax. I tried to order another Sony from Amazon today and it gave me a Dec 20 ship date. Maybe Sony is not allocating to the Amazon supplier. Sony Style is charging full price, tax and shipping. Maybe it's worth the extra $70 to buy from Sony Style. The Sony site estimates availability on Nov 8.
post #276 of 2453 Old 10-21-2004, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Someone already got this player now. He has posted some early review about the player in the Sony Player's thread.
post #277 of 2453 Old 10-22-2004, 08:59 AM

Looking for a DVI/HDMI DVD player for my Hitachi RP LCD. Obviously, my current Pioneer Elite DV-38A via components doesn't seem to be doing so well on this screen. (Overall, just bad quality, no detail, not sharp. Not sure why, though.)

In looking at the upscaling DVD players that output DVI/HDMI (my screen has HDMI inputs), the Samsung 841 does 720p and 768p. I believe the native resolution of my Hitachi is 768p.

So, do I NEED a player that does 768p or will a player that does 720p look just as good on my screen as one that does 768p?

(I really want a Denon 2910/3910 but it only upscales to 720p or 1080i, both of which are not native to my screen).

Also, would 1080i look better on my screen or 768p?

Thanks!
post #278 of 2453 Old 10-23-2004, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
dmylrea-
What Hitachi model # do you have?

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #279 of 2453 Old 10-23-2004, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Noyd
dmylrea-
What Hitachi model # do you have?

50VS810.
post #280 of 2453 Old 10-23-2004, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That is a 3-chip LCD TV with a native 1280 x 720 or 720p resolution. Give it a progressive 720p signal via HDMI and it will perform at its best.

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #281 of 2453 Old 10-26-2004, 09:55 AM

Last night, I put in a couple of Superbit DVDs on my 1910. I cannot tell if the 1910 is a bad player or not, in terms of macroblocking, honestly! Here's why:

Last night I also was watching Basic Instinct, on TV (satellite), and it was SD feed. I have an HD2+ DLP 52 inch, and the scene where Sharon Stone is in bed talking with Mike Douglas, there is a closeup on her face, and she moves around a bit when she was talking, and it was a side profile of her face. You could VERY easily see what I now understand as macroblocking: There literally where squares dancing around as the camera moved slightly (and so did the actor), with her face obviously being tan/white/pinkish/redish, so the square danced around near each other, where of those colors.

I never once saw this on my 1910. What I *do* see in the 1910 however, is this "hazy" effect on all the discs, where things in both the background AND the foreground aren't razor-sharp. Thing is, when I pause and look closely at an actor's face or an object, for example, it DOES look razor-sharp and very detailed and clear.

But I certainly didn't see MB going on like I did watching Basic Instinct on SD channel. I also saw that MB phenomenom while playing XBOX at an intro sequence (closeup panning camera on a red sports car).

So in closing, I would like to say that no matter how much info I get from this forum, I just cannot tell if the 1910 is bad or not, unless I get another player and compare the PQ. Sux that I got it from an online retailer, and it's too much a PITA to send it back for a refund. I guess I'll just deal with it and sell it privately for a small loss, should a new DVD player prove superior. I guess I'll try the 2910.
post #282 of 2453 Old 10-28-2004, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #283 of 2453 Old 10-30-2004, 07:49 AM

Don't forget the modded xbox. I use an xbox with a mod chip installed upconverting to 720p via component(great for you guys with no open dvi)
The picture is on par with my HTPC upconverting via DVI.
post #284 of 2453 Old 11-01-2004, 08:27 AM

I have a modded xbox and I think the dvd playback is crap compared to a standard dvd player that doesn't upconvert.
post #285 of 2453 Old 11-04-2004, 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AHROBERTS
Don't forget the modded xbox. I use an xbox with a mod chip installed upconverting to 720p via component(great for you guys with no open dvi)
The picture is on par with my HTPC upconverting via DVI.

No way an Xbox is going to beat a pixel mapped DVI HTPC. I have a modded xbox and it looks like crap, even compared to my old sony.

PTAX100- Hangin from Gyrolock
Dali Helicon 400/C200/Earthquake CineNova ;>)
post #286 of 2453 Old 11-04-2004, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated for NeuNeo HVD10 DVD Player. Thanks to JGDragov for his master thread/review on the player.
post #287 of 2453 Old 11-04-2004, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Paul's threads on Panny and Sony have now been added to the main (first) post
post #288 of 2453 Old 11-06-2004, 09:12 PM

Hi, I've been lurking here for a bit trying to gather info about all these new DVD players and whatnot and I have a question.

I recently bought a Samsung TXP3071 widescreen HDTV when I went to get a replacement for this 13" Sharp that I've been using for the past decade. I didn't do any research beforehand, but compared it to the Sony they had in there too and thought the Samsung looked better plus had the ATSC tuner, so I got it; then I found this board and realized everyone was crapping on it, and I felt like I made a bad mistake. But anyway..

I have an old Sony DVP-S570D player that I hooked up to it and was all ready to be blown away by the picture, but I was really dissapointed when I started to watch it (I was testing it with Kill Bill 1&2). It just didn't look as good as I thought it would have, and the picture even seemed a little blurry and perhaps there were some color issues, too. But then I thought maybe it's because I was using just an S-video connection, that the player was old, it's not progressive scan, or maybe it was just the DVD, although I couldn't imagine that would be the case.

I haven't gotten the chance to test the TV with any progessive players cause I don't know anyone that I could borrow one from, so I was just waiting til Sony released the new DVP-S975 since it was going to have the new up-conversion and HDMI connection. I really like my current player's menus and look and all that, so I was hoping this would be the best option for me.

The thread on here about it makes it sound pretty decent too, but I just read that CNET report on it where they say this:
"we recommend avoiding upscaling players if you have a CRT-based HDTV, unless the set demonstrates a marked improvement in video quality over the digital jack"
And that when the player was sending out a 1080i signal, that they were seeing flickering, where as sending a 480p resulted in a stable picture.

So I'm wondering what the deal is with that and if anyone knows whether or not this is an issue with my Samsung HDTV and if the whole upconversion thing wont even make a difference since it's a CRT and not a "fixed-pixel" set.

Sorry for the long post and thanks.
post #289 of 2453 Old 11-06-2004, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

xtsquintx: I would certainly encourage you to get home of the upconverting players at home and seeing how it looks. You should get either the Panasonic S97, Sony 975 or Denon 1910, in order of preference. Upconvert to native resolution of the TV and see the difference. I would recommend buying from a local B&M store so that you have to option to return it, if it does not seem better. Depending upon your budget, try one of the above. Good luck and welcome to AVS!
post #290 of 2453 Old 11-08-2004, 09:36 AM

Bought an 841 samsung upconversion DVD player... but only have a component IN TV. Well as you can imagine, I am very disappointed that the upconversion will not work with my TV. :-(

I bought a converter but it will not work. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tony
post #291 of 2453 Old 11-08-2004, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tony: Upconversion does not work via component for most of US players. Only using DVI/HDMI. If you want upconversion over component, look into Zenith 318 or Momitsu player.
post #292 of 2453 Old 11-08-2004, 09:49 AM

Why tho? Is it because of the digital to analog conversion process to use the comp outs?

Tony
post #293 of 2453 Old 11-08-2004, 11:29 AM

xtsquintx,

I, like you, have been pretty much of a lurker as well. But I do have some advice to add to the mallu2u DVD player recommendations.
One importtant factor is your choice of using S-Video. S-Video will not provide the 'blown away' results you are looking for. You must use at least component inputs or preferably DVi or HDMI. Use the best connection your TV will accept.
post #294 of 2453 Old 11-08-2004, 11:31 AM

I also would like an answer to xtsquintx's question on upconverting players and CRTs. Would they be a waste of money? I'm considering buying a CRT HDTV soon with HDMI input, and possibly the Panasonic S97. But would I get the same results with a less expensive progressive-scan player using component outputs?

I'd try it myself, but that's why I come here, to gain the benefit of your collective experience before I take the plunge
post #295 of 2453 Old 11-08-2004, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tkonzal
Why tho? Is it because of the digital to analog conversion process to use the comp outs?

Tony

Hollywood opposes upconversion over component (as there is no HDCP). Therefore US Manufacturers would not support it. Zenith was the only exception and they have stopped it as well in newer players. Therefore recommended earlier Zenith 318s and Momitsu for component.
post #296 of 2453 Old 11-09-2004, 08:32 AM

Folks,

I saw a bunch of these Toshiba SD5970 dvd players at Brandsmart in Florida. I didn't know if there was a reason they weren't talked about on this thread.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/prod...?model=SD-5970

Cheers,
Guy

Guy
post #297 of 2453 Old 11-09-2004, 02:56 PM

Does it make sense to have an upconverting DVD player if you have a TV like the Mitsubishi DLP which does upconverting? Looking for a new player that makes sense....
post #298 of 2453 Old 11-10-2004, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Originally posted by arcothunder
Does it make sense to have an upconverting DVD player if you have a TV like the Mitsubishi DLP which does upconverting? Looking for a new player that makes sense....

It makes sense if you have a digital input on your TV with HDCP, especially if you TV is a digital display. By outputting upconverted digital from the DVD player, you get a upscaled image and avoid an D/A and an A/D conversion at the TV.
post #299 of 2453 Old 11-10-2004, 08:23 AM

I have a very basic question. I just got a HDTV, a 62" Toshiba DLP that has a digital (HDMI) input. I do not yet have a real sound system - I've got an old stereo amp with 2 cheap speakers.

I'm currently using a PS2 as my DVD player. I'm pretty sure this is not a progressive player. I'm wondering what kind of PQ improvement I can expect from a good <$300 Upconversion DVD player w/HDMI. Will it be a knock-your-socks-off difference? Or is the difference more subtle?

thanks,
dsr
post #300 of 2453 Old 11-10-2004, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by dsr15
I have a very basic question. I just got a HDTV, a 62" Toshiba DLP that has a digital (HDMI) input. I do not yet have a real sound system - I've got an old stereo amp with 2 cheap speakers.

I'm currently using a PS2 as my DVD player. I'm pretty sure this is not a progressive player. I'm wondering what kind of PQ improvement I can expect from a good <$300 Upconversion DVD player w/HDMI. Will it be a knock-your-socks-off difference? Or is the difference more subtle?

Other nice thing is that you can run one cable (included with the Panasonic) for both digital video and 2 channel digital audio (if you are not using an external sound system) to your TV.

thanks,
dsr

Going from PS2 to an upconverting player will likely make a knock-your-socks-off difference. PS2 is a pretty awful player. I just got the Panasonic s97 upconverting player, which I connect via HDMI to my Samsung HLP5063 and the improvement over my Sony 725 progressive DVD player is fairly dramatic. I wasn't even using progressive scan on the previous player b/c the TV had a better deinterlacer. Now I feed the Samsung a 720p signal and there are no conversions at all.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page