Originally posted by mallu2u
Finally purchased this player from Tweeter this evening. Did not get time to set it up earlier. Just finished testing it a bit. Gotta say..so far its a mixed bag. Currently I have a Panasonic CV51 Player..4 yrs old...non-progressive. I hooked this player up via COMPONENT cable to my Sony 60" RP XBR TV. Review is based on that...I wanted to get its true comparison to old player.
- setup was very easy
- Bit better colors..not a whole lot
- Fast loader
- Very responsive remote
- Chapter change fast
- Not a whole lot of difference in PQ in 480i mode from old Panny
- When changed to 480p mode, slightly better colors...definitely better scaling since I saw some dithering on a particular dvd with old player...very less with this player...liked that
- When in 480p mode, TV does not recognize that the movie is in widescreen mode!!! I have to change the mode manually in TV. Ridiculous. Even my old panny did that right. Works perfect in 480i. Real big negative
- PQ was slightly better...not a whole lot than old panny...colors slightly better..
- Mode to change colors, brightness not very intuitive..colors were pretty low by default. Had to set it at +6 to get them to my liking.
- Resume is only temp and for current movie. Does not have mutiple DVD memory
- Overall Interface is very basic..not at all somewhat sexier that I was have imagined...
- Layer change is pathetic! Player almost pauses for a 1 second before resuming....panny was the same...did not like that
Will try MP3 CD and DVD +RW tomorrow. Need to record one. Will also buy a DVI cable and see what the upscaling buzz is all abt.
In a nutshell, I would NOT buy the player, if I was buying for component only. Nothing really worth spending another 250 bucks...old panny would be fine for that. BUT lets see the DVI now..that is the main reason I have bought this player and am hoping I like to PQ of that.
Let me know if any of you folks have any Qs for me.
So the above were my thoughts via component. Now over DVI.
- Not much difference at all when changed from component to DVI (at 480p)
- No black crush or white crush issues
- Picture is BETTER with black control OFF
- When upscaled to 1080i, Definitely better picture...meaning better Colors, more clarity, sharper image
- Plays DVD +RW effortlessly. Will to try MP3 CD tonite. Want to see the interface.
- User Manual is quite poor for this player.
- It was quite painful to go to the DVD Player to constantly change between component and DVI and then between 480/720/1080 modes for DVI. Wish the remote had that. But that ok since once set, there is not much need to change it, except when watching 4:3 DVD.
But I would like to add, upscaling to DVI even to 1080i was no jaw-dropping experience to me. Based on reviews earlier from people, my expectations were high. But I gotta say, the difference is definitely visible but not earth-shattering. And yes, NO COMPARISON TO HD at all!! HDTV is way better than this player's upscaling to 1080i. I am not sure if 2910 or 3910 shall offer better picture to 1910. I need to get info on that.
In short, I am not sure if Denon 1910 is my answer to upscaling. I have ordered the Zenith DVB 318 as well to compare that should arrive by tomorrow or day after. Will compare the two. I think now I shall also need to compare this player with Panny S97 or Sammy 941 before I decide on it. I did get this player for $230 plus tax and therefore the price is quite good. But I am not seeing much feature/cost benefit in keeping this player.
Let me know if you guys have any Qs.