Upconverting DVD Player Options/Impressions - Page 81 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2401 of 2453 Old 12-14-2008, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question. I am looking for a good DVD player for upconverting. Some DVD's, but I want to pass my FTA receiver through the DVD player, then onto my Onkyo TX-SR505 to improve the quality of SD signals.

I was wondering what a good inexpensive player was that is capable of this.

From what I am reading the Pioneer DV-410V is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2453 Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax416 View Post

I have a question. I am looking for a good DVD player for upconverting. Some DVD's, but I want to pass my FTA receiver through the DVD player, then onto my Onkyo TX-SR505 to improve the quality of SD signals.

I was wondering what a good inexpensive player was that is capable of this.

From what I am reading the Pioneer DV-410V is good.

ya, i understand that pioneer DV-410ov is quite good. but i never test it out, have anyone try or ever use it before?
post #2403 of 2453 Old 12-15-2008, 06:01 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by masjoko View Post

ya, i understand that pioneer DV-410ov is quite good. but i never test it out, have anyone try or ever use it before?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1038674

-Bill
post #2404 of 2453 Old 05-10-2009, 04:09 PM

Just getting into researching, so apologize in advance for any naive questions here.

In the market to get a new DVD player. Don't necessarily need a Blu-Ray player as not a HUGE movie watcher but still like a good picture when I do watch them.

What are some good brands, models, features I should be looking for in a nice upconverting DVD Player?

I have a Panasonic 50" Plasma (720p) (Panny 50PX77U)
post #2405 of 2453 Old 05-10-2009, 04:26 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdee View Post

Just getting into researching, so apologize in advance for any naive questions here.

In the market to get a new DVD player. Don't necessarily need a Blu-Ray player as not a HUGE movie watcher but still like a good picture when I do watch them.

What are some good brands, models, features I should be looking for in a nice upconverting DVD Player?

I have a Panasonic 50" Plasma (720p) (Panny 50PX77U)

You might look at the threads here for the popular players, see what the owner experiences are.

OPPO has a big fan base here and I've been pleased with mine. The 980 is $169.

-Bill
post #2406 of 2453 Old 05-10-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You might look at the threads here for the popular players, see what the owner experiences are.

OPPO has a big fan base here and I've been pleased with mine. The 980 is $169.

-Bill

Thanks Bill. I was actually just about to edit my post and add in that I've seen the Oppo 980H as a solid recommendation for me and wanted to get some thoughts on that model. Looks like you agree that would be a good option to look into for myself.
post #2407 of 2453 Old 06-10-2009, 03:45 AM

What is the best DVD player for upconverting, for a good money value?
post #2408 of 2453 Old 06-10-2009, 03:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssara View Post

What is the best DVD player for upconverting, for a good money value?

I don't know that there is a "best". You can see what players are popular by scanning the titles in this forum. Deinterlacing performance is more important than scaling.

Do you have a price range? I've been pleased with my OPPO players but the 980 is $169 new.

Would you consider a Blu-ray player instead? That is where most of the interest is these days.

-Bill
post #2409 of 2453 Old 06-22-2009, 04:27 AM

I'm curious, what w/recent sale of Panasonic 720P, 50" X1 what route knowledgeable folks are taking w/DVD. I have a collection of standard DVDs and have no intention of upgrading to Bluray. I'm the old guy fishin' in the fin bin. So, the OPPO 980 is $169. My question is at my resolution will the OPPO outperform a Denon DVD-1940CI at 80-90 clams? I'm not going to purchase a Phillips and the OPPO won't break the bank. My cable company doesn't have HD capabilities in my neck of the woods. I replaced a Toshiba 35" CRT from 98 that was hit by lightning. Naturally, 11 years of R&D has allowed the panny plasma to provide a better picture quality than the aging CRT.
I need a DVD that incorporates the HMDI cable to compliment the new tube. Even a slow guy as myself realizes that 720 isn't 1080 but, it is 1 1/2 times 480 and no matter how much money you throw at 480, though you may improve, you can't turn it into 780. However, it seems to me that you should have an easier go w/improved picture quality displaying a DVD 480 on a 720 than a 1080. Maybe not. Maybe an upconvertor isn't the best application, It sounds swell but maybe the panny would scale a 480 signal as well or better.

Quote:

Deinterlacing performance is more important than scaling.

Sounds great to me. How do I turbo boost deinterlacing?

I have an older DVD that worked using the white, yellow & red component(?) wires. I figured the HDMI was a superior feed.

Sorry for the ramble. I'd appreciate any opinion. Thanks.
post #2410 of 2453 Old 06-22-2009, 04:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixterdemus View Post

I'm curious, what w/recent sale of Panasonic 720P, 50" X1 what route knowledgeable folks are taking w/DVD. I have a collection of standard DVDs and have no intention of upgrading to Bluray. I'm the old guy fishin' in the fin bin. So, the OPPO 980 is $169. My question is at my resolution will the OPPO outperform a Denon DVD-1940CI at 80-90 clams? I'm not going to purchase a Phillips and the OPPO won't break the bank. My cable company doesn't have HD capabilities in my neck of the woods. I replaced a Toshiba 35" CRT from 98 that was hit by lightning. Naturally, 11 years of R&D has allowed the panny plasma to provide a better picture quality than the aging CRT.
I need a DVD that incorporates the HMDI cable to compliment the new tube. Even a slow guy as myself realizes that 720 isn't 1080 but, it is 1 1/2 times 480 and no matter how much money you throw at 480, though you may improve, you can't turn it into 780. However, it seems to me that you should have an easier go w/improved picture quality displaying a DVD 480 on a 720 than a 1080. Maybe not. Maybe an upconvertor isn't the best application, It sounds swell but maybe the panny would scale a 480 signal as well or better.

Sounds great to me. How do I turbo boost deinterlacing?

You buy a player that does it well. There was a test report site that was all about deinterlacing peformance (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi) but it is no longer being updated and models from recent years are not shown.

I'm familiar with the OPPO models but not others so am not qualified to make player comparisons.

You know, a Blu-ray player will also play your DVDs and give you the option of high definition source material.

Quote:

I have an older DVD that worked using the white, yellow & red component(?) wires. I figured the HDMI was a superior feed.

Definitely. And HDMI is standard on players these days.

-Bill
post #2411 of 2453 Old 06-22-2009, 05:06 AM

Thanks for the timely response.

Quote:

You know, a Blu-ray player will also play your DVDs and give you the option of high definition source material.

Well, as I recall the young gent at BB told me that Blu-Ray would not play my oldie moldy standard DVDs. That was one of the reasons that I wasn't too concerned about going w/720P. Not the end of the world by any means and a Blu-ray at 720 would look a lot better than a 480.

Maybe he was trying to move upconvertors.

That being the case I could hook up the old DVD for the time being and wait on black Friday for a Blu-ray deal. I could buy one now but, disposable income is in short supply. Especially in light of my perception of being able to pick up a deal a few months down the road. Which sets me up for my next inquiry.

Wonder when there'll be a fin bin for BluRay...
post #2412 of 2453 Old 06-22-2009, 05:36 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixterdemus View Post

Thanks for the timely response.

Well, as I recall the young gent at BB told me that Blu-Ray would not play my oldie moldy standard DVDs.

Never believe anything told to you at BB.

There are Blu-ray players not much more than the OPPO 980; I've heard good things about the JVC: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131998

Quote:

Wonder when there'll be a fin bin for BluRay...

Someday. Now, I keep an eye on the used prices at Amazon.

Also: my Netflix rentals average about $1.70 per disc.

-Bill
post #2413 of 2453 Old 06-22-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:

I've heard good things about the JVC: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131998

Thanks for the link as that JVC appears to fulfill my needs to a T.
post #2414 of 2453 Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Never believe anything told to you at BB.

I hear you loud and clear. BB lost the sale of two Panasonics to me by overextending their claimed capabilities.

I was going to buy from them so I applied for a BB CC online. They told me they could access and use the card while it was in route to my address through the use of my SS number. I tried to purchase five budget DVDs on the card a couple of days later. When the cashier couldn't work the magic I went to customer service. They couldn't, made a phone call & said they could. They couldn't, made another phone call which included me talking to someone half way around the world informing me that there was no way to use the card until I activated it from my home phone. Needless to say I didn't try to buy the TVs and apply the card for rewards.

Partially due to the credit inquiry from BB I was denied credit at Sears. That cost me $75 because I couldn't use the 10% off Sears card offer. They did allow me 5% off using one of my other cards and delivered one tube that day. BB would deliver free in 10-14 days but, for a mere 65 clams would have extended me the privilege to cut in line. Had I been able to use my in transit BB card then the rewards would've tallied up to about the brother-in-law instant delivery charge.

I had been w/o for a week since lightning nailed every TV in the house but, not before telling the nice lady at the independently owned Sears store that I would never, ever buy another thing from Sears, K-mart, Lands End or any business associated w/them or Citibank. I called Citibank in Sioux Falls, SD and told them the same. Then I called them a second time. W/my line of credit, history, low utilization percentage, prompt payments and credit score there's no reason for them to deny me a little two grand card. Sweet weepin' hey-Zeus on the cross I wasn't asking anyone to float a note on a house. Inquire this.

Anywho, the BB gal Rachel Munoz that you see on the commercials that like talks about this guy that like calls for help and she like totally gets that this guy is like asking questions so she like asks where he's calling from n like he sez WalyWorld n like she's like oh no you didn't n he he's like oh for real yes I did and she's like come on down to BB coz we're like not skanks n I'll like hook you up coz we be representin' n keepin' it real n like this guy hasn't had a date like in three years so he's like I'm all over this babe like kewl guacamole on a hot tostada you know coz uh like uh she wants to like meet me uh pronto like Tonto, jump on it, jump on it at da B&M BB coz I'm the Master P dawg.

Well, for the most part this commercial and its mental artifacts has scarred me for life, alienated me from ever liking anything again, turned me into the curmudgeon extraordinaire and now even I am like, what-evah!

I might have to enroll in the Earnest T. Bass remedial oral presentation course in order for me to engage in speaking in public again.

Hope ya'll enjoy reading that sordid tale as much as I enjoyed sharing and thanks again for the DVD tips. I feel much better.

Now, where did I put my meds?
post #2415 of 2453 Old 07-20-2009, 06:59 AM

Somewhere you lost me, but if you need a dvd player and interested in playing old dvd (standard ones and them being upgrded) then look online or at a b&m store for the panasonic bd 60 blu ray player can not go wrong. I got one at bb online for $200. You talked about getting one for $169?
post #2416 of 2453 Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 AM

My 5 year old rear projection HDTV only has DVI - no HDMI - so I use an HDMI to DVI cable to hook up my PS3 for a 1080i picture.

My question is can I get a 1080i picture out of an upconverting DVD player using an HDMI->DVI cable?

Thanks!!

PS Network Name: radckh
post #2417 of 2453 Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radckh View Post

My 5 year old rear projection HDTV only has DVI - no HDMI - so I use an HDMI to DVI cable to hook up my PS3 for a 1080i picture.

My question is can I get a 1080i picture out of an upconverting DVD player using an HDMI->DVI cable?

Thanks!!

Yes, I do it all the time.

Note that the DVI port on the display must have HDCP for this to work. I presume it does if your PS3 is working, but I'm not familiar with it.

-Bill
post #2418 of 2453 Old 07-21-2009, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the response Bill.
Yes my DVI connection is HDCP.

Another question: While using the HDMI connection for 1080i video, will I still get sound through the Digital Coax output?

PS Network Name: radckh
post #2419 of 2453 Old 07-21-2009, 10:24 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radckh View Post

Thanks for the response Bill.
Yes my DVI connection is HDCP.

Another question: While using the HDMI connection for 1080i video, will I still get sound through the Digital Coax output?

That must depend on the player because people are always asking about it. All the OPPO models produce audio on all ouputs simultaneously; that is the only brand with which I am current. You'll have to investigate other models.

-Bill
post #2420 of 2453 Old 08-12-2009, 01:04 PM

Both Newegg and Amazon have the BD60 for $195 with free shipping. I might just pick one up, as I don't have room for my DVD player anymore, and it doesn't have HDMI either.
post #2421 of 2453 Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 PM

Anyone have DV-420-K?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...DV-420V-K.Kuro

Does anyone still make dvd players with built in tuners??
I know some dvd recorders have them.
post #2422 of 2453 Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB View Post

See the latest SECRETS DVD Benchmark. The OPPO is currently top of the pile in the scores (after it's last round of firmware updates). This is a highly respected test, but keep in mind that the scores are only for specific torture tests. To understand the scores, read the "Guide to Progressive Scan Shootouts". The tests may not rate other aspects that could be important to you. Check the OPPO threads for help on anything else you need to know.

According to Kris Deering, the author of many of the SECRETS tests:
"The 5910 still remains the pinnacle of DVD video performance in my opinion, regardless of what the 'scores' may say".

Gary

I have to agree with Kris Deering on this one.

I have been a digital graphics professional for the last 16 years and my wife has a degree in photography and cinema. We met when were both working for a motion picture film lab - so we are probably pickier than most couples when it comes to image quality.

We own the Oppo DV-983H which was the Oppo "flagship" for upconverting DVD's, and use a PS3 for Blu-Ray, our set is a Sony KDS-60XBR2. We own a lot of DVD's. We just received a Denon DVD-5910ci for $999 from Listen Up (list price is $3800), the Oppo was $399. I wanted the 5910ci to upgrade our CD & SACD audio - not thinking the video would be any better (or worse) than from the Oppo since both players received glowing reviews.

Well... the first DVD we watched (using HDMI upconverted to 1080p) with the Denon surprised us. The picture was noticeably improved over the Oppo. My wife immediately commented on the detail in hair. I was noticing that I could see very fine details in things like clothes (suit patterns for example) that I hadn't noticed with the Oppo, and was amazed there were no moiré patterns showing up. There is less noise/grain with the Denon than the Oppo (unless the grain is supposed to be there for "artistic" effect). I tried a couple high quality DVD's - Lord of the Rings "Shire scene", and "The Fifth Element" (Superbit version), and a lower quality "The Man from Uncle" season 2 disk. To us at least, the Denon was better than the Oppo on all of the material. Audio was also better than with the Oppo, but that was to be expected.

Is the Denon's improved video and audio worth the price over the Oppo? Probably not for most people. If you are very picky, watch a lot of DVD's, and have a higher end audio setup - it might be.

Is the Denon 5910ci's (or the Oppo's) DVD quality as good as well recorded Blu-Ray when played though a decent Blu-Ray player? Not a chance. On the other hand, the Denon's quality is as good or better than some bandwidth starved "HD" broadcasts we have seen over cable or satellite (if the DVD source material is good).

Hope this helps...
post #2423 of 2453 Old 11-29-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, got a new Panasonic DVD recorder this week with upconversion.

Have the Sony KD34XBR960 which does excellent upscaling on it's own yet will admit the recorder's 1080i upgrade through HDMI does indeed enhance the picture a bit more in color, sharpness and overall vividness. On a scale of 1-10, 480p would be around a 9 compared to the ten for upconversion. Have the THX Optomizer so the settings are properly adjusted.

Am sure the jump from upconversion to bluray would be along the same lines as well, at least on my Sony KD34XBR960(a CRT) with the benefits of bluray most likely becoming more apparent as picture size increases on flat screens.

It's fun.
post #2424 of 2453 Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 PM

About Pioneer DV-220KV-K

We finally plucked up courage and opened the box of our new set today. The control is MUCH bigger and well set out than is our old LG's.

Going to read the instructions carefully.

Today, 12:45 PM #6 | Link

Sundari333

Posts: 8 Read the instructions and they say that the player is NOT a multi region one.

And yet it plays DVDs I got from England and Europe and also DVD burnt on another player... Go figure!

Any comments about this player would be VERY gratefully received. My husband and I are real neanthedals when it comes to modern gadgets!

This may be because my husband and I are nearly 60! And we are both disabled. I by Cerebral Palsy and the built environment; he by dyslexia and short-term memory loss.

THAT'S why I want to know if the Pioneer is easy to use and something about its reliability.

And hubby is an impatient cuss if things are difficult to use because they make him feel bad about himself...

If this is the wrong place to ask my question could somebody tell me where to go - which page to go to on AVS?
post #2425 of 2453 Old 01-07-2010, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundari333 View Post

About Pioneer DV-220KV-K

We finally plucked up courage and opened the box of our new set today. The control is MUCH bigger and well set out than is our old LG's.

Going to read the instructions carefully.

Today, 12:45 PM #6 | Link

Sundari333

Posts: 8 Read the instructions and they say that the player is NOT a multi region one.

And yet it plays DVDs I got from England and Europe and also DVD burnt on another player... Go figure!

Any comments about this player would be VERY gratefully received. My husband and I are real neanthedals when it comes to modern gadgets!

This may be because my husband and I are nearly 60! And we are both disabled. I by Cerebral Palsy and the built environment; he by dyslexia and short-term memory loss.

THAT'S why I want to know if the Pioneer is easy to use and something about its reliability.

And hubby is an impatient cuss if things are difficult to use because they make him feel bad about himself...

Your husband should not get down on himself believing he has misread or forgotten something - I've read about it being an all-region player on other websites even though Pioneer states otherwise.

Both of you should be commended by not allowing your conditions to be a handicap!
post #2426 of 2453 Old 02-08-2010, 06:19 AM

Looking at the Pioneer DV-220. Anyone have any experience with this player?
Feedback appreciated.
post #2427 of 2453 Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 PM

I need a recommendation as well. Im currently in a country that rations really heavy, so I dont have time to go through the forums. Im lucky to get 1/2 online a day...

Anyhow, I'm selling my Philips which was nothing but a headache. I have a Samsung LNA650 TV (I was hoping to go with them to take advantage of using one remote, I forget what Samsung call it). I also need a USB port so I can watch movies via my flash drive, and the ability to upgrade firmware through USB would be great, too. PQ isn't a huge concern. Looking to spend what I did on the Philips, around $70.

Any help would be appreciated!
post #2428 of 2453 Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 PM

Mrgoodkat,

I would recommend the Samsung DVD-1080P9. It has a USB port on the front for flash drives, has a good remote, has a good enough picture, and has AnyNet. So, it will work with your Samsung A650 just fine. I have it hooked up to a Samsung A630 through HDMI, and I love how the TV turns on and switches over to the DVD player when I turn on the DVD player. The blacks in the picture are an improvement over the blacks you get with an older component-cable-connected DVD player.

It doesn't have an optical port, so it might not be the best choice if you also have audio components, but it works great with my Samsung TV. The only strange things I can think of are this:

1. It sometimes starts up with the audio caption turned on, but only with Joss Whedon TV show DVDs. I just click a button to turn off the captioning and I'm good.
2. I haven't figured out how to look at photos that I have on a USB memory stick yet. I guess I should read the manual, but I wanted to mention that in case you HAVE to be able to read USB sticks. I don't really care about that I as I can do that on a PC.

I'm sure it isn't as great as an Oppo or a Reon upscaler chip, but it works fine, is only $69.00, and it even remembers where you left off the movie when you last played it. From what I understand, most BR players don't remember where they left off on standard DVDs.

So, that's my cheap, Samsung-compatible solution for you!
post #2429 of 2453 Old 04-08-2010, 11:37 AM

I have recently purchased a HD projector, but have to wait before buying a blu ray player.

I have connected my old/crappy samsung standard dvd player through component cables, and the picture is, expectedly, meh.

I'm curious, when i purchase a blu ray player (that can upconvert), will the picture quality really be any different than it is now, or will it just be a true 16:9 size modification alone??

Thanks, and my apologies if this is considered a stupid question
post #2430 of 2453 Old 04-08-2010, 11:42 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

I have recently purchased a HD projector, but have to wait before buying a blu ray player.

I have connected my old/crappy samsung standard dvd player through component cables, and the picture is, expectedly, meh.

I'm curious, when i purchase a blu ray player (that can upconvert), will the picture quality really be any different than it is now, or will it just be a true 16:9 size modification alone??

Thanks, and my apologies if this is considered a stupid question

For DVD? It varies, just as with DVD players.

What model of Samsung do you have now? Your next player could be a good upgrade, although nothing will get you into a new realm of image quality with DVD. You need hidef sources for that.

-Bill
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page