Forum Jump: 

post #2431 of 2453 Old 04-08-2010, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

For DVD? It varies, just as with DVD players.

What model of Samsung do you have now? Your next player could be a good upgrade, although nothing will get you into a new realm of image quality with DVD. You need hidef sources for that.

-Bill

it's OLD. like 2004 old.

I guess my question is, i'm going to be buying a blu ray player in the upcoming weeks. I want to know if my dvds essentially become obsolete, or if playing them thru my blu ray player will show a noticable improvement that what is currently seen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2453 Old 04-08-2010, 12:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

it's OLD. like 2004 old.

I guess my question is, i'm going to be buying a blu ray player in the upcoming weeks. I want to know if my dvds essentially become obsolete, or if playing them thru my blu ray player will show a noticable improvement that what is currently seen?

Improvement: very possibly. DVD peformance has improved over the years.

But caution: nothing can make a DVD look like a good Blu-ray title.

You might see if your current player is listed here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi. Then lookup the DVD performance scores of Blu-ray players at http://winstonsreviews.com/. The test reports are not directly comparable, but it will give you an idea of what people are looking for.

Always use a calibration disc for best results.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #2433 of 2453 Old 04-08-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Improvement: very possibly. DVD peformance has improved over the years.

But caution: nothing can make a DVD look like a good Blu-ray title.

You might see if your current player is listed here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi. Then lookup the DVD performance scores of Blu-ray players at http://winstonsreviews.com/. The test reports are not directly comparable, but it will give you an idea of what people are looking for.

Always use a calibration disc for best results.

-Bill

cool, thanx.
post #2434 of 2453 Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u View Post

Wow! What amazing information AcuraCL. You rock!

Yeah, great information for us to have a right chioce.

Everyone has their own movies
post #2435 of 2453 Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Hey all,

I've been googling myself into knots on this one so would appreciate advice.
I've emigrated to Canada from the UK and am looking for an upscaling DVD player that can be made multiregion with a remote-code and has reasonable PAL->NTSC conversion (I just bought an LN32C540 Samsung and it doesn't synch to 50Hz).

I read that the Yamaha DVD-S1800BL is nice, but I can't find a canadian supplier.
Does the Philips DVP5990 fit the bill? (Considering buying it from regioncodefreedvd.com ... not sure if there's custom converter chips installed, or if it's just modded with a remote code though)

My budget is sub $100

Any hints on suitable players gratefully received!
post #2436 of 2453 Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifta View Post

Hey all,

I've been googling myself into knots on this one so would appreciate advice.
I've emigrated to Canada from the UK and am looking for an upscaling DVD player that can be made multiregion with a remote-code and has reasonable PAL->NTSC conversion (I just bought an LN32C540 Samsung and it doesn't synch to 50Hz).

I read that the Yamaha DVD-S1800BL is nice, but I can't find a canadian supplier.
Does the Philips DVP5990 fit the bill? (Considering buying it from regioncodefreedvd.com ... not sure if there's custom converter chips installed, or if it's just modded with a remote code though)

My budget is sub $100

Any hints on suitable players gratefully received!

Any used OPPO would meet the technical criteria. Not sure about prices; depends on the model.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #2437 of 2453 Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 PM

Thanks Bill. I was looking for used oppos, but cheapest i can find is $135 (plus import duties etc)...

Anyone other comments?
post #2438 of 2453 Old 12-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Hi:
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to ask you guys: Without a budget limit and supposing I could get any player new, used or refurbished; which would you say is the hands down best up-converting DVD Player ever, I now have an Oppo DV-983H but have read great things about the Denon DVD-3930CI which supposedly performs equally to the more expensive Denon DVD-5910CI; and there's also the Toshiba HD-XA2!; also Oppo just released a new Blu-Ray player BD93 that features a new chip for up-conversion of SD content, which is the very best for SD-DVD up-conversion?.
I use an Oppo BD80 for Blu-Ray playback.
Thank you.
post #2439 of 2453 Old 12-25-2010, 04:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by defuentes View Post

Hi:
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to ask you guys: Without a budget limit and supposing I could get any player new, used or refurbished; which would you say is the hands down best up-converting DVD Player ever, I now have an Oppo DV-983H but have read great things about the Denon DVD-3930CI which supposedly performs equally to the more expensive Denon DVD-5910CI; and there's also the Toshiba HD-XA2!; also Oppo just released a new Blu-Ray player BD93 that features a new chip for up-conversion of SD content, which is the very best for SD-DVD up-conversion?.
Thank you.

I'm familiar only with the OPPO players and I still use my 983H for DVD. The BDP-93 has levels of noise reduction which can be helpful on streamed media and might improve a bad DVD, but I have no time to mess with that.

The ABT chip players (983H, BDP-83) have cadence detection capabilities which the QDEO chip BDP-93 does not. That could be important if you are playing strangely authored DVDs, common on some animation.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #2440 of 2453 Old 12-25-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:

I'm familiar only with the OPPO players and I still use my 983H for DVD. The BDP-93 has levels of noise reduction which can be helpful on streamed media and might improve a bad DVD, but I have no time to mess with that.

The ABT chip players (983H, BDP-83) have cadence detection capabilities which the QDEO chip BDP-93 does not. That could be important if you are playing strangely authored DVDs, common on some animation.

-Bill

Thank you Bill; yes to tell you the truth I'm quite happy with the performance of the 983H; the only problem I've had with it is that it won't properly read DVD+R DL burned movies and those I play in the BDP-80 without problems. But still for curiosity's sake I'd love to see a direct comparison between the players I mentioned but I don't think there's one available.
Merry Xmas and thank you again.
post #2441 of 2453 Old 12-25-2010, 01:05 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Thank you Bill; yes to tell you the truth I'm quite happy with the performance of the 983H; the only problem I've had with it is that it won't properly read DVD+R DL burned movies and those I play in the BDP-80 without problems. But still for curiosity's sake I'd love to see a direct comparison between the players I mentioned but I don't think there's one available.
Merry Xmas and thank you again.

I use Verbatim DL media without issue.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #2442 of 2453 Old 12-25-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:

I use Verbatim DL media without issue.

-Bill

I've been using MEMOREX DVD+R DL, I'll try with Verbatim, thank you Bill.
post #2443 of 2453 Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Hi:
Thank you.

IMO it's not even close: in the sub-$500 category, Toshiba's superb XDE600 to my knowledge works differently from others. It is a discriminative system that upconverts just portions of each frame as needed. And it is usually under $100, available online. Beats the pants off upconversion from any BluRay player.including the PS3. Includes also optional 'turbo' image boost for sharpness, color, contrast. Quite some technology for such a low price.
post #2444 of 2453 Old 01-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So which is a better upconverting DVD player: the PS3 or the XBox 360? Or are they relatively the same?
Thanks for your thoughts!
post #2445 of 2453 Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman918 View Post

So which is a better upconverting DVD player: the PS3 or the XBox 360? Or are they relatively the same?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Anyone?
post #2446 of 2453 Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Hi:
Thank you.
IMO, it's not even a close call in the sub-$500 category: Toshiba's XDE600 blows all the others away. To best of my knowledge, it works differently from all competitors. It's a discriminative algorithm that upconverts only that/those portions of an image that need it, to the exclusion of the rest. Additionally, there are three turbo-boost options that put this thing on steroids even. The result on any good standard DVD beats any other I've seen, including upcon from a PS3. Spectacular results on my 65-inch Panasonic plasma. Only available online so far as I can determine. (Should not be confused with the earlier XDE500).
post #2447 of 2453 Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith View Post

IMO, it's not even a close call in the sub-$500 category: Toshiba's XDE600 blows all the others away. To best of my knowledge, it works differently from all competitors. It's a discriminative algorithm that upconverts only that/those portions of an image that need it, to the exclusion of the rest. Additionally, there are three turbo-boost options that put this thing on steroids even. The result on any good standard DVD beats any other I've seen, including upcon from a PS3. Spectacular results on my 65-inch Panasonic plasma. Only available online so far as I can determine. (Should not be confused with the earlier XDE500).

My TV does HDMI and NTSC formats, no 50Hz support tho.

Want to order some PAL DVD's for a bbc tv show.

Will the XDE600 player convert a PAL DVD to play on an NTSC only tv? Perhaps upconvert to an HDMI resolution? If the source is 4:3 can the aspect be maintained thru the upconversion process? Or do I need to get a dvd player with built in hardware pal to ntsc conversion?

Don't recommend Oppo because mainly I play and buy Bluray now, and already have a blu-ray player. This player will not get alot of use, so was hoping to get something for under $100 to accomplish this pal to ntsc conversion. Googling that comes up with all sorts of vendors selling hardware modified players, but they are not very reputable looking companies, never seem to list what the base model of the player is, just come off as suspect fly by night operations.

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from

post #2448 of 2453 Old 01-25-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

My TV does HDMI and NTSC formats, no 50Hz support tho.

Want to order some PAL DVD's for a bbc tv show.

Will the XDE600 player convert a PAL DVD to play on an NTSC only tv? Perhaps upconvert to an HDMI resolution? If the source is 4:3 can the aspect be maintained thru the upconversion process? Or do I need to get a dvd player with built in hardware pal to ntsc conversion?

Don't recommend Oppo because mainly I play and buy Bluray now, and already have a blu-ray player. This player will not get alot of use, so was hoping to get something for under $100 to accomplish this pal to ntsc conversion. Googling that comes up with all sorts of vendors selling hardware modified players, but they are not very reputable looking companies, never seem to list what the base model of the player is, just come off as suspect fly by night operations.

Can't find any reference anywhere to this unit doing the conversion. There are other units out there that specifically offer this feature, so google and find. But if it's super upconversion you want, I've seen nothing to touch the the XDE600.
post #2449 of 2453 Old 04-07-2011, 05:42 PM

My wonderful upconverting blu-ray bricked recently so I decided to pick up this Toshiba for to play my DVDs while deciding on the next blu-ray player. Pick up a factory refurb for $35.

I received it today and after hooking it up to my system, I now wonder why I even thought about the purchase more than two minutes. For $35 you gotta' be kidding me. This thing is awsome!!!
post #2450 of 2453 Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Obvious but possibly stupid question, since I can't find an answer via a quick round of Googling: does the XD-E600 output 1080i/p over component? (EDIT: perhaps a better variant of the question would be "Are there any multi-region-capable DVD players left that do output 1080i over component?")

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #2451 of 2453 Old 04-21-2011, 02:44 PM

No 1080i/p over component on the Toshiba.
post #2452 of 2453 Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Nice =)
post #2453 of 2453 Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvaughn View Post

My wonderful upconverting blu-ray bricked recently so I decided to pick up this Toshiba for to play my DVDs while deciding on the next blu-ray player. Pick up a factory refurb for $35.

I received it today and after hooking it up to my system, I now wonder why I even thought about the purchase more than two minutes. For $35 you gotta' be kidding me. This thing is awsome!!!

I've been trying to introduce the XDE line to AVS readers for YEARS: where have you guys been??? On a really good standard DVD, an XDE600 upconversion amounts to hi-def for most eyeballs(try 'Unknown' for example), with only the better audio on BD version being immediately noticeable. And no, I have no connection with Toshiba or anyone in that camp. So what's wrong with BluRay, or HD-DVD before that? Nothing but a cost factor wholly disproportionate to the advantage provided. When we went from VHS to DVDs, there was a dramatic improvement in image and sound quality; when we went from standard DVD to BD and HDDVD, the improvement was incremental, and IMO certainly not worth the kind of price surcharge being added. All you really need on a good standard DVD is the XDE line for a much lower disc price.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page