mallu and beaker,
Thanks to you guys for the idea of creating this thread.
My situation might be a little different from you guys, but I am in the market for a new DVD player.
Here is my set up:
Sammy DLP TV
Anyway, in about 2 - 3 month, I am getting a projector and needs to get a DVD player with it.
These are the projectors on my list:
Infocus 4805 - Native Resolution 854x480 DLP
Panny AE500 - 1280 x 720 LCD
Sanyo Z2 - 1280 x 720 LCD
If I go with the Infocus 4805, then I would probably need a DVD player that can do custom resolution (or maybe not), that leaves me only with D2 and V880/N.
But since I already have the V880, I don't really want to get another one.
So Here are my list:
Denon 1910 (go by the history of denon players, they have really good de-intercing and good Core, so this is on my top list)
Sammy HD941 (SACD and DVD-A, I know I don't use it, but it's better to have it than not having it, will see the reviews when it come out)
Brovo D2 / D3 (D2, to me, it's like a moded V880, I will probably keep a eye on D3, but will see what happens)
Zenith DVB-318 (Everyday I'm reading people saying good thing about this player, and there are so many happy owenrs out there, so ....)
OK as for V880 - (there are tons of reviews about this player, but here is my list of pros and cons, by the way, I am a big fan of V880)
1. No HDCP over DVI - this might be a big deal for some people with DVI display that dont have HDCP, if you want to use DVI, there are only couple players that would work, and V880 is one of them.
2. Up convert over both component and DVI.
3. Doesn't streatch 4:3 format.
4. Region and macrovsion free (you can set to any region you want, or set to 0 and set it back as many time as you like, BAAM, even though I only have 2 DVD that is not region 1, but just so I have this feature is a plus).
5. Plays support wide range of formats (Dvix, +, - , all of them
6. No EE
7. No black (DVI) and white crush.
Name me another player that got all these with this price tag????
Down fall of V880 -
1. IR code conflicts with Pionner stuff (Can't do nothing about it, so if you own a pioneer equietment, look some where else).
2. We all know about the loader issue (But you can replace it with a lite-on 166s loader, and the "how-to" is all over the forum).
3. Black level over componet sucks (at least to me, but I use DVI and DVI only, that's why we all getting a DVI player right
1. Farodja Chipset (Good de-interlacing, I watch DVD movies on this player only with DVD disc that is badly flag)
2. It scores pretty good on Secret HIFi.
3. I like the remote (but I know many people hate it, I am so use to it that I can close my eye and access any function I want)
4. man, I don't know what else to say.
931 - down fall
1. BAD Black and white level (It bothers me).
2. Grainny picture quality (It bothers me really bad, that's when I made up mine mind to get the V880).
3. EE (but I never saw it, unless someone can help me to look for it).
4. Lip sync issue (But it never happen to mine player).
I will be use the DVI player and the projector 100% for DVD movies only. So I'm looking for a player with a good core and de-interlacer.
As you can see that I have 2 DVI players for 1 TV, I don't want to do the same again. So, this time I will do my homework before I pull the trigger.
Any questions, suggestions or flames...