Calibrating DVD video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-05-2004, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 896
The Denon 5900 and the Pioneer 59avi both have display adjustment controls for contrast, brightness, sharpness, color and tint which affect the video they put out both on component and HDMI/DVI outputs.

Presuming you have the ability in your display itself to store multiple display adjustment settings (and thus there's no reason to calibrate the display input for one source device attached to one input and use the controls built into another source device that might be sharing that input to adjust calibration for the second device when switched into that input), is there any point to using the controls on the DVD player instead of just using the display's own controls to get all the video into calibration?

For example, is there some reason to believe the adjustment in the DVD player might be better because it's closer to the source processing, or alternatively that the adjustment in the display might be better because it's closer to the display technology?

Is there some reason to want to calibrate the display input to some set "standard" on a given input and then do any device specific adjustments via the controls on the individual sources that might be switched into that input?

It would seem the natural approach would be to set the source device (DVD player in this case) controls to center-of-range and do *ALL* the calibration using the display's settings -- with the individual source device controls used for fine tuning only as needed to correct things the display's controls can't correct. Does that make sense?

[If it matters, the display in question is a Fujitsu P50 plasma.]
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-05-2004, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pariseau
It would seem the natural approach would be to set the source device (DVD player in this case) controls to center-of-range and do *ALL* the calibration using the display's settings -- with the individual source device controls used for fine tuning only as needed to correct things the display's controls can't correct. Does that make sense?
Yes, that makes perfect sense. If I had a DVD player with controls, I would do just this. And then I would likely adjust the black level output on the DVD player because I have to set black level so high on my TV (almost to max). That's just my TV I'm afraid.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-05-2004, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regarding setting of black levels with display controls versus DVD player controls:

I have a 16X9 RPTV and I wanted it's no-input-signal screen to be as black as possible (i.e. matching the RPTV's black cabinet and the pitch black viewing room) plus blending right in exactly with the deepest blacks in DVD movie black bars when present. (i.e. outer space scenes, etc.)

I found that no matter what I did I couldn't calibrate with ONLY one or the other to get the top-bottom black bars on 2.35:1 AR movies and right-left black bars on 1.33:1 movies to blend right in with the deepest blacks in scenes. I was able to finally achieve this by using BOTH the black level control on my RPTV AND the black level control on my DVD player, in combination, to achieve just the right relationship in black-bar-area versus black-image-area voltage levels. I now can't tell where the black bar boundary is with respect to adjoining black areas in the movie - they blend right in together, as they should IMHO.

So my answer would be to use the controls at both locations if that's what is takes to match up blacks everywhere all the time in the active image area of your display.

Phil
post #4 of 4 Old 08-05-2004, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 896
pnichols,
Thanks! That's just the sort of advice I was looking for.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page