Denon 3910 in da house!!! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
HDKing: Region 0 should play in ALL region's players. The best way is to take a region 0 DVD to a store and demo or maybe one of the new owners of this player will test one out for ya. But, this shouldn't be an issue.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks
post #183 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Is it safe to remove the 4 feet on the player? I'm having trouble fitting all my components into my rack and I need about a half inch more space to fit my DVI switch. This won't hurt the player at all will it?
post #184 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by HDKing
Is it safe to remove the 4 feet on the player? I'm having trouble fitting all my components into my rack and I need about a half inch more space to fit my DVI switch. This won't hurt the player at all will it?
Hmmm, if space was that tight I'd be a bit concerned about heat, which certainly won't be helped by the resulting loss of air space from the removal of the feet.
post #185 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 03:30 PM
pjr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone with the 3910 have one of the new TVs with firewire inputs? I would love to hear what you get.
post #186 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Duh, I just realized that I won't need the DVI switch because the unit has an HDMI output.

Wow, do I feel stupid now :(
post #187 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Does anyone with the 3910 have one of the new TVs with firewire inputs?
IEEE1394 is used for audio only.
post #188 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Just getting used to setting the player up. What do you guys typically do when you watch movies that are in 2:35:1 aspect like Armagedon? I set the player to 4:3 LB w/ Squeeze mode on, then when I put a newer film with 1:85:1 I set the player to 16:9. I wish that the player had automatic sensing, but it's not that big of a deal since everything can be controlled with the remote.
post #189 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 05:20 PM

Tranum,

I don't have or have access to that CD player. I do have a vinyl rig though. Rega P25/Garrott P88/Wright tube phono stage. The 3910 is the closest to the analog sound I get from vinyl so far. The CD playback is really good. I know I keep metioning that, but I've been through the Denon 2800, 2800MKII, and the 2900. I was never happy with the sound of the internal DACs in those units, so I used the DACs in my receiver.

The 3910 is a different story. And I don't know if it is all about the DACs. The power supply may be set up differently on the analog stage, internal isolation, better caps, resistors? It could be any number of things or all of them combined.

I think comparing a deck like this to an older Denon unit, you will find better sound, just an assumption.

Jer

"Otto Gleebin' Mountain Globin"

Joe Elliot 1983
post #190 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 07:16 PM

How do CDs sound if you use the 3910 as a transport only? Is it better than analog? I have a Halo C2 and am trying to decide which dvd player to get and was thinking of using it as a digital transport for CDs.

Thanks
post #191 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Using the 3910, or almost any disc player for that matter, as a transport is going to depend almost entirely on the quality of the processor/DAC/receiver/whatever that you connect it to.

In my case, I have the 3910 connected to an Anthem AVM-20 both with digital and analog. I prefer the sound of CDs using the DACs in the 3910 with the analog output to the Anthem in "analog direct" mode. About the only way you are going to be able to determine which way sounds better with the Halo is to do the same thing and compare.

BTW, this is the first player I have used with the Anthem that I prefer the sound of the player rather than using the DACs and processing in the Anthem, and that includes a $950 Rega Planet dedicated CD player.
post #192 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 08:22 PM

George,
Have you tried the dvi/hdmi at 720p? Did you encounter any Y/C delay?
post #193 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
"Jeff from Denon confirmed to me that doing an SDI mod on the 3910 is easily done. I am in the process of doing the mod to my 1600, but can't yet afford the iScanHD or Lumigen or Crysalio or .... even a Haloggraph for my HTPC."

merc, I wish I could afford (readily afford, that is) the 3910 and the SDI mod to both the 3910 and the iScan HD (an investment of over $2000), vs. an investment of about $850 for doing the SDI mod to the RP91 and to the HD. These are the prices of course if I let someone else do the mod on the RP91, which I wouldn't do myself since my soldering skills are not to be trusted on a project like this.

So it's one or the other. And whether or not there will be a way to make the 3910 region-free at a reasonable cost will probably be the final factor. I have far too many (over 200) discs from outside of region 1 to consider any player costing as much as the 3910 that can't be made region-free and play PAL discs (converting from PAL to NTSC doesn't matter since the iScan HD does a great job of that). Though maybe if the 2910 turns out to be neck and neck with the 3910 for video quality, I might consider that even if it can't be made region-free given its lower price. Audio is of secondary concern to me (not to say that great audio wouldn't be noticed or appreciated).

What's nice about the 3910 is that it really looks like the video quality is not likely to be surpassed in any significant way at this stage of DVD player development with a player I might be able to afford. Once HD-DVD hits, zero dollars will be spent on improving regular DVD.
post #194 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 09:08 PM

Quote:
What's nice about the 3910 is that it really looks like the video quality is not likely to be surpassed in any significant way at this stage of DVD player development with a player I might be able to afford. Once HD-DVD hits, zero dollars will be spent on improving regular DVD.
Then again, for folks like me with a new HDTV without DVI/HDCP inputs, HD-DVD isn't probably gonna "hit" for at least another 4-5 years. :(

Maybe in that interim, Denon will have a oops moment with one of their nice DVD players like Zenith did with the lower end 318. Man, I'd easily pay $1K for a 3910 without disabled component video outputs... :(
post #195 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

"Man, I'd easily pay $1K for a 3910 without disabled component video outputs... "

Denon would love to be able to do this, of course, because they would double (at the very least) their sales for this player. But as I suggested earlier, anyone who can afford the 3910 and has a HD display with only component really should consider getting an iScan HD to go with it because Denon is not going to let component upscaling happen with the 3910 or any of their players.

Upscaling the 3910 over component with the iScan has gotta look spectacular. The iScan will also take 480p DVI (without HDCP) and output it as component, and very soon will be able to take 1080i or 720p DVI and output that as component (the firmware upgrade is pending) with the iScan doing the deinterlacing and the scaling; this is why I also picked up the Momitsu V880 to use its 720p DVI output (which can be converted to 1080i component with the iScan). So far the better the quality coming out of the DVD player into the iScan HD, the better the output quality of the iScan.

The 3910 looks like it might be the ultimate DVD player for video even at 480i/p component when used with a good scaler, probably even easily surpassing the DVI output of the Momitsu used with the iScan.
post #196 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 11:00 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare the PQ of 3910 with 1910 over DVI (now that the two have released)?

Quoting this post from the 1910 thread:
Quote:
The DPIC circuit is the only difference in the DvI/HDMI video path between the 2910 and 3910. What it really does in terms of picture quality remains to be seen (no pun intended).
I am curious how much better is the PQ of 3910 compare to 1910 over DVI?

regards,

Ritesh
post #197 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 11:05 PM

Quote:
But as I suggested earlier, anyone who can afford the 3910 and has a HD display with only component really should consider getting an iScan HD to go with it because Denon is not going to let component upscaling happen with the 3910 or any of their players.
I understand what you are saying, BUT, why would anyone want to give more of our money to a company who is actively and purposefully hosing you? Well, count me in as just another sucker.... ;)

If you think about it, by going along with Hollywoods paranoia over HD component outputs, the manufacturers have consciously decided to screw the folks they previously sold their HDTVs to. At least Denon didn't sell(nor still sells) HDTVs which they are purposefully obsoleting the second it hits your home.

Anyway... if we opt for the same performance as the lucky folks using a studio annointed HDTV, how much will Denon's decision to kiss the ring cost us over and above those folks who didn't jump at the manufacturer's costly first, second, third or fourth HDTV efforts without DVI/HDCP inputs?

Last I checked... Denon's submission to the studios will cost me an additional $1400, at least, just to match the performance of those with Hollywood blessed rigs.

That's a hefty price for the innocent public to pay for the paranoia of the elite wealthy, IMO. :(
post #198 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Yep, a lot of money for you and me. And a lot of money for Hollywood. The sad thing is, Hollywood is only costing themselves money in the long run by not allowing DVD players to upscale over component. By doing this they have absolutely nothing to gain in terms of preventing the copying of their films. Anyone who wants can already make an exact digital clone of any DVD film they want, which is higher quality than any copy that can be made from a film upscaled over component. And if Hollywood thinks the same thing won't eventually be possible with HD-DVD they are deluding themselves. All they need to do is release their films in HD-DVD with high-quality and at a price everyone can afford (as they now do with regular DVD) and no one has any reason to pirate the films. Star Wars has only been pirated up to now because Lucas refused to release it on DVD. Now that it's being released, few will want the pirated versions and be happy to buy the legal DVDs.
post #199 of 799 Old 09-06-2004, 11:42 PM

CJ,

What the moves to hose us innocent folks has caused is a simple polarization of the innocent high tech buying public along lines of them versus us... which now includes the folks they(and us) want to fight. Whenever you group the innocent in with the criminals, and then punish them both... the innocent can do nothing but join with the criminals to fight a common enemy... IMO.

Still... I don't want to take this wonderful and informational thread further off topic, so let's discuss the situation and the value of the 3910 to Hollywood unblessed HDTV owners somewhere else. :)
post #200 of 799 Old 09-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Robert, does your player have a RESUME feature if it is stopped with the DVD inside and the power turned off? I've read the entire manual from front to back and the only thing that it mentions about this is if you press stop, you can resume by pressing play again. Pressing stop a second time will result in restarting from the main menu. If this $1300 player is missing this feature, I'll be very shocked. My $100 Sony POS player has this feature. Even if I remove a DVD halfway into the movie and replace it with another, I can re-insert the DVD and resume where I left off.
post #201 of 799 Old 09-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

I have searched this entire thread but there is insufficient information regarding the one burning question I have.

I want to run IEEE1394 Firewire digital multichannel SACD and DVD-Audio into my new Anthem Statement D1 (when the upgrade to it becomes available in a couple of months).

I have heard mixed stories of how not all Firewire outputs work with all receivers/Pre-Pros.

Can anyone shed some light here? I know HDMI is not a current solution for digital transmission of Multi-Channel audio but is Firewire a definitive answer now?

Mr. George, I see that you have the AVM-20, a great unit in its own right, but the Statement D1 has the additional capability of taking a digital signal and up/oversampling it to filter out nasties. I have heard this technology in action and found it to be a nice plus since it makes background noise levels drop to almost unrecordable levels. If I can use the firewire output of the 3910 into my Anthem Statement for multichannel audio then I think I will be set for a good many years audio-wise. Can you or anyone here please try to definitively answer this question for me?

Thanks in advance to all of you!
Russ
post #202 of 799 Old 09-07-2004, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

No SACD on the Denon 1394 OR denonlink is what I'm hearing. The Pioneer Elite 59AVI is able to though.

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #203 of 799 Old 09-07-2004, 01:39 PM

Has anyone found the 3910 in-stock from an online dealer yet? My local guys don't have them in, and are still unsure when they'll get their first shipment. Also, any PM's with actual going prices would be nice too... as I'd hate to pay MSRP (although I will if I have to).
post #204 of 799 Old 09-07-2004, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Patrick,
SACD will work on the 1394, but on the Denon Link at this point. The Denon Link is only applicable if you have a Denon Link on your receiver anyway. But the 1394 is not a problem on the 3910 (or at least it hasn't been reported to be as of yet!)

Dave

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #205 of 799 Old 09-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

So then through IEEE I can definitely get both SACD and DVD Audio into my Statement without issue, right? I assume also that because it is a digital transmission that the bass management must be performed by the processor and not by the 3910, right?

Thanks,
Russ
post #206 of 799 Old 09-07-2004, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ Rubman
So then through IEEE I can definitely get both SACD and DVD Audio into my Statement without issue, right? I assume also that because it is a digital transmission that the bass management must be performed by the processor and not by the 3910, right?

Thanks,
Russ
Correct.

Not sure, but fairly certain that is correct. Reason I say that is because the 5900 can do some DSD manipulation, not sure if the 3910 follows suit.

Jim
post #207 of 799 Old 09-07-2004, 04:23 PM

FYI, Just got off of the phone, mine will ship first thing in the A.M. so if you cant find one this could be a option for you.
post #208 of 799 Old 09-07-2004, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Toxictretr...

Me too.... Crutchfield said mine shipped this afternoon.... WooHoo! Now if the credit card only paid itself.....
post #209 of 799 Old 09-07-2004, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Toxictretr
FYI, Just got off of the phone, mine will ship first thing in the A.M. so if you cant find one this could be a option for you.

When did you order yours? Mine still indicates backorder.
post #210 of 799 Old 09-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

What's the build quality like compared to the 2900?
I liked the solid front panel on the 2900 and hope they haven't "Cheapened" it on the 3910.

(P.S....this a very long thread, forgive me if this has already been asked)
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page