Yamaha S-2500 universal player - DCDi, HDMI, i.Link, video scaling - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 623 Old 06-17-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The UK manual states:

When playing DVD-Audio with a sampling frequency of over 88.2 kHz,
all speaker sizes are set to [Large] and the subwoofer is set [On], regardless of the settings you adjusted.

Since most DVD-A's are 96 kHz, this essentially means there is no DVD-A Bass Management.
Is this true for the U.S. model as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 623 Old 06-19-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Yes, it's in the US manual too. This player can't really do much *processing* of PCM signals with a sampling rate higher than 88.2 , so in this case it bypasses bass management.

There's actually a number of caveats related to high sample rates with this player (and probably others too) -- mostly listed on p 16 of the manual:

-- for Analog Output choice in the Audio menu, if you select Dolby Surround, 3D Sound or the Multichannel options the player will apply Dolby Surround/3DSound/Dolby PL II to all 2-channel sources EXCEPT FOR SACD and PCM signals with a sample rate >88.2 kHz (requires too much processing power). (For the multichannel output option, this is actually a good thing for SACD/DVD-A in my opinion -- I don't want DPLII applied automatically to stereo sources)

-- even if you select 96kHz in the PCM digital output option (vs 48 kHz, the other choice), anything >96 kHz is converted to either 88.1 or 96kHz. Supposedly this affects only the DIGITAL output, and by that I take it to mean, the optical/coax, not HDMI or ilink (but see caveats about HDMI below), and thus it doesn't affect SACD or DVD-A per se.

-- over HDMI, the manual says the unit can only output either
2 channel PCM @32/44.1/48 kHz sample rate
or
bitstream (Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG)
It cannot output SACD at all via HDMI, and any PCM signal over 88.1 kHz is downsampled to a 2-channel 44.1 or 48 kHz signal. So it doesn't seem like DVD-A (typically 96 or 192 kHz) passes unscathed.

-- speaker sizes are set to LARGE/Sub ON when DVD-A signal exceeds 88.1 kHz, as noted above. You would think this only affects the analog output... Note to that it doesn't say anything about SACD. But in fact, you also have an 'SACD Direct" option that does the same thing: bypasses the bass management specifically when playing SACD. To me, this suggests that when you AREN'T using SACD Direct, then the DSD is converted to 88.1 PCM (as in the Oppo 970 and probably others players too)

-- ilink: it's a mystery what gets applied and what doesn't, to signals with high sample rates. You woudl think the signal would be passed 'raw' to an ilink receiver, but who knows for sure. I'll probably investigate this some day.
post #603 of 623 Old 07-01-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm also considering a purchase of this unit at $200 shipped for my bedroom system for both video and multi-channel audio. Anything else at that price that you'd consider or recommend? Thanks,

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #604 of 623 Old 07-02-2007, 07:11 AM

Even at $200 I have to say it is not worth the trouble. I went through two of them. They are older units, require a firmware upgrade to get full DVD-A support. When the second one would read the SACD layer of one of the discs from Fillmore East but not the second one I decided it was just too funky. Read the thread, many problems with this unit. Oppo 981 doesn't sound as good but has a better picture and will be rock solid realiable.

just my 2 cents.
post #605 of 623 Old 07-02-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Looks like the feedback here and at Audioreview is that the machines are flaky and unreliable. Guess I'll look for a mint used Denon...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #606 of 623 Old 07-03-2007, 07:28 AM

the audio on the Pioneer DV-79 is superior at least to the 3910 with the 3910 having the better picture so that is the way that I went, it should be here today.

there is a DV-79 on e-bay right now.
post #607 of 623 Old 07-11-2007, 06:29 PM

Hi guys,

I just bought yamaha s2500. Can anyone send me email: [email]vbox@operamail with instructions how to upgrade firmware to v.58. What steps? I downloaded v.58,will burn ISO, and what is next???

Thank you!!!
post #608 of 623 Old 07-11-2007, 11:22 PM

Hello, I have a yamaha dvd-s2500, and I would like to upgrade the firmware please, but I cannot find the firmware anywhere on the yamaha site, could someone please help me out please - if you have the most recent firmware, could you please email it to me with detailed instructions and steps on how to do the upgrade please, I WOULD REALLY TRULY APPRECIATE your taking time out to help me please.

please help, I thank you in advance for any and all help rendered.
thanks a bunch
thanks
post #609 of 623 Old 07-13-2007, 02:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The firmware file itself is too large for email. Just the firmware file alone is about 300mb uncompressed and 250mb compressed in size, so you will need to find somewhere to D/L it from. As for the just instructions on how to apply the firmware, I can't help with those anymore for the time being. My laptop that I had them on took a big puke, so I can't send them out anymore. But I have sent them to quite a few people here in the past, so maybe one of them can return the favor and forward those instruction PDF files to those that need it now.

This link posted below, still appears to be valid for D/L the firmware file. But as always, use at you own risk!

And DO NOT try to apply the firmware update unless you have the instructions on how to do so, and have read them!!!! It is not just a simple 'pop it in and just play the disk' type upgrade! You must manually enter in some info before the upgrade process starts and also shut it down and remove the power in a certain way when it is done and then reboot it. And if you enter the wrong info and screw it up, or shut it down wrong, you definitely probably could end up messing things up with your player.

http://www.badongo.com/file/1877297
post #610 of 623 Old 07-14-2007, 06:50 AM

I'm just curious but has anyone had any problems with random lock-ups on DVD video and standard CD's with this player? I've had mine only about 5 months (was a gift) and lately it just hard freezes randomly while watching movies or listening to CD's. I'm talking clean scratch free discs that never gave me any trouble before. Have since put my Denon 1600 back into service which over the course of several years has never choked on anything I've played through it. The Yammy is heading for the service center next week.
post #611 of 623 Old 07-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Hello, thanks for the link to the firmware file - I truly appreciate it, I am hoping that there is someone out there who has the step by step instructions on how to install the file please.
Please let me know
Thanking you very much in advance
Thanks
post #612 of 623 Old 07-15-2007, 03:24 PM

Hi. I also need the instructions for the firmware upgrade. (mardelgo2001@yahoo.com).Thanks
post #613 of 623 Old 07-16-2007, 02:13 PM

DVD-S2500 FIRMWARE REINSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. Use your CD authoring software to open the disc image file named S2500_V58.iso and burn the compilation to a new CD-R or fully erased CD-RW disc.

2. Connect separate video and audio outputs from the DVD-S2500 to a TV set. (It is important that there be NO HDMI cable connected to the DVD-S2500 during the entire firmware reinstallation procedure.)

3. Turn the Power ON, and make sure NO DISC is displayed on both the player and the TV's screen.

4. Open the disc tray and push the < MENU > button on the DVD-S2500's Remote Control. The current firmware version and region code are displayed on the TV's screen.

5. Write down the 8-digit Region Code exactly as you see it displayed on the TV's screen.

6. Place the upgrade disc that you prepared in step 1 on the disc tray, and close the tray by pressing the DVD-S2500's front panel < OPEN/CLOSE > button.

7. The DVD-S2500 reads the upgrade disc, re-programming starts automatically, and the DVD-S2500's fluorescent display shows UPGRADE. It will take about 1½ minutes to complete the re-programming.

8. Wait for the re-programming to be completed, and for the disc tray to automatically open; then, disconnect the DVD-S2500's AC power cord and remove the upgrade disc from its tray.

9. Re-connect the DVD-S2500's AC power cord, wait for 1 minute, then turn the Power ON and wait until No Disc appears on the fluorescent display. (At this time, the YAMAHA graphical user interface will appear on the television's screen, and the video will be in the PAL format.)

10. Use the DVD-S2500's Remote Control to set the Region Code as follows:
a. Press and release the < Play > key; then, press and release the < 2 >, < 7 > and < 4 > keys (the fluorescent display will now show - - - - - -).
b. Press and release the number keys to enter the 8-digit Region Code exactly as you wrote it down in step 5; then, press and release the < Play > key.
c. Wait approx. 30 seconds, and the firmware rewriting process will be completed.

11. Open the disc tray and push the < MENU > button on the DVD-S2500's Remote Control to confirm the Firmware Version number is now SD5.2-2500-58.

(During re-programming, the unit is unstable until step 9 is finished. Do not press any key on the front
panel or Remote Control as you perform step 8; then, press only the Power ON key, when instructed
in step 9. If the firmware reinstallation fails, it will likely be necessary to replace the MONO PCB.)
post #614 of 623 Old 07-15-2008, 02:40 PM

Thank You,
and google.
The firmware link is still valid too.
post #615 of 623 Old 10-28-2008, 12:32 PM

Hi,
I know that it's kind of "late" to be asking questions about the S2500, but (if anyone is reading this), I just bought one and it will only read the CD layer of multi-layered hybrid SACD's. I tried a couple of RCA Red-Seal multi-layered discs as well as Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed". It reads single-layered discs just fine and recognizes them as SACD's, but it always reads the CD layer of multi-layered SACD's. Does anyone have any helpful advice on solving this problem? Thanks!

Fred E.
Wilmington, OH
post #616 of 623 Old 10-28-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

See page 22 of the manual: "Playing a Disc" to read how to set the default SACD playback to DSD stereo.

If for some reason that doesn't work, use the SOUND MODE button on the remote to cycle through the different formats.
post #617 of 623 Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 PM

Krabapple,
Thanks very much for your advice and your quick response! Here's what I've done to try to get the player to recognize the SACD multi-channel layer on a hybrid SACD:

1) I used your helpful link to download and install the latest firmware release (v58).
2) I connected the unit to my Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver using the 6 channel analogue outputs and Component Video outputs (no HDMI, I-Link, or digital audio connections).
3) I turned off HDMI and digital audio in the Setup.
4) I specified "Multi-Channel" area in Setup->Audio Menu-> Analog output.

As I said before, I have no trouble playing SACD only discs. It's only if the SACD is multi-layered that I run into problems. The disc is recognized by the player as a CD (not as an SACD) and no amount of pressing the SOUND MODE button changes the disk layer being read!

Is there anything else that I've forgotten to do or am doing wrong? I kind of hate to go back to my Marantz SACD/DVD deck since this Yamaha matches my new receiver! Thanks for any other help that you can give me.
post #618 of 623 Old 10-28-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byungjaykim View Post

Krabapple,
Thanks very much for your advice and your quick response! Here's what I've done to try to get the player to recognize the SACD multi-channel layer on a hybrid SACD:

1) I used your helpful link to download and install the latest firmware release (v58).
2) I connected the unit to my Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver using the 6 channel analogue outputs and Component Video outputs (no HDMI, I-Link, or digital audio connections).
3) I turned off HDMI and digital audio in the Setup.
4) I specified "Multi-Channel" area in Setup->Audio Menu-> Analog output.

As I said before, I have no trouble playing SACD only discs. It's only if the SACD is multi-layered that I run into problems. The disc is recognized by the player as a CD (not as an SACD) and no amount of pressing the SOUND MODE button changes the disk layer being read!

Is there anything else that I've forgotten to do or am doing wrong? I kind of hate to go back to my Marantz SACD/DVD deck since this Yamaha matches my new receiver! Thanks for any other help that you can give me.

First of all, I thought you were having trouble playing SACD *stereo* tracks, not SACD multichannel too.

Second, please confirm to me that you've followed my earlier advice and read p 22 of the manual, where it tells you how to set the DEFAULT SACD playback -- particularly the section that begins with the words "[Analog output]". If you haven't, there's no point in advising you further until you do... you need to do what it says on that page and make sure your player isn't defaulting to CD when it has the option to do so.

Third, confirm to me that you are getting multiCHANNEL output from all speakers, when you do play a non-hybrid, multichannel SACD (assuming such a thing even exists.... or try the multichannel PCM part of a DVD-A).

I am also assuming that you have disconnected/deactivated all the digital inputs on your AVR, for purposes of tracking down the problem. You have also selected the 'Analog multichannel' input on the AVR, or whatever it's called.
post #619 of 623 Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 PM

Does anyone on this thread still have a copy of the V58 firmware?

Thanks
post #620 of 623 Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I still have it.
Do you still need it?
post #621 of 623 Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 AM

Please I need this V58 firmware for my Yamaha DVD-S2500

Send me to email: rmacko73@gmail.com

Thanks
post #622 of 623 Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 AM

Hello,

I'm in need of the V58 firmware. If anyone can send it to me or post it to dropbox, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

Mike
Kozimor@gmail.com
post #623 of 623 Old 01-16-2014, 12:55 AM

Hello,
me too. I need the firmware for yamaha dvd-s2500
Thank you
vladimirmalusev@gmail.com