Denon 3910 Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 7503 Old 10-17-2004, 06:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Oh and there is less than a second when switching between inputs with Dtronics, gefens delay is 2-3 seconds. Plus I have never had a handshake problem with Dtronics, and the picture quality is 100% perfect when amplified by Dtronics. The reason I am also such a fan is Gefen treated me like an idiot when I talked to them with suggestions (like all inputs on one side)... Dtronics got it right with their product so they desrve to be supprted!

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey gang, got the 3910 and just applied the new firmware, God do I love this player! Anyway I'm doing 720p DVI->DVI (audioquest DV-1 2 meter cable) to my Samsung HLP56, and I'm in heaven.....except for one lil annoyance.

Sometimes when the scene or the DVD track goes to black (while a DVD is playing), the last bit of text or the image that was on the screen last leaves like a burn in on the screen over the solid black. It's faint, but I can see it. It stays up until a new scene comes up and fills the screen with new pixel information.

I had a Denon 2200 orignally with this same TV and used the component outputs. I had no such issues. Before buying the 3910, I sold my 2200 to a friend and bought a 1910 to use the upscaling and DVI. I had the same issue that I am experiencing now with the 1910 thru DVI. When the 3910 came out, I bought that instead and returned the 1910 (I am so glad I did!). I was hoping maybe it was just an issue with the 1910 but I have the same problem with the 3910. I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this?

I am guessing it has to be:

a) bad DVI port on my TV? (Both 1910 and 3910 have same issue so highly unlikely I had 2 faulty players).

b) bad DVI cable (only common factor other than TV for both players)

c) some calibration issue or setting that I am just totally unaware of

Maybe I should just buy an HDMI->HDMI cable and give that a try?
Thanks for any info.

- Joe
post #363 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
The Best Buy near me doesn't carry Denon either. But the Good Guys does. (One shopping center near me with both stores.) ??

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #364 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 02:41 AM

Hello again

I've made some advances with my problem, despite still having doubts.

I will remember you what's my problem:

During a movie it only appends once or twice, and only during a fraction of a second, the image fails, appearing a white screen. This only appends with HDMI (and 720 progressive). I've tried it with the scart port in the 3910 and it doesn't append.

I've already changed the HDMI cable (form Supra), and the fail still ocured with the new cable (excludind the cable from the equation), I've tried the Panasonic AE700 with other dvd Player (my old sony, via scart) and no problem (but like i said above with the 3910 scart port no problem too).

Didn't used other HDMI dvd player or other HDMI PJ/Plasma.

I've been readind about some problems with 3910, and my 3910 SN is xxxxx05xx (&#%#$"%). What meens the 'Picture disappears' mention below ?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown
Anyone know what serial number range in prod units will be that already have these fixes? Or how to check the firmware version on the player?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

affected units

Chroma spread
black xxxxx3499 or lower
silver xxxxx0599 or lower

Picture disappears
black xxxxx2099 or lower
silver xxxxx0399 or lower

White belt
black xxxxx2099 or lower
silver none

Can you help me ?

Regards
post #365 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Joseph G B
Hey gang, got the 3910 and just applied the new firmware, God do I love this player! Anyway I'm doing 720p DVI->DVI (audioquest DV-1 2 meter cable) to my Samsung HLP56, and I'm in heaven.....except for one lil annoyance.

Sometimes when the scene or the DVD track goes to black (while a DVD is playing), the last bit of text or the image that was on the screen last leaves like a burn in on the screen over the solid black. It's faint, but I can see it. It stays up until a new scene comes up and fills the screen with new pixel information.

I had a Denon 2200 orignally with this same TV and used the component outputs. I had no such issues. Before buying the 3910, I sold my 2200 to a friend and bought a 1910 to use the upscaling and DVI. I had the same issue that I am experiencing now with the 1910 thru DVI. When the 3910 came out, I bought that instead and returned the 1910 (I am so glad I did!). I was hoping maybe it was just an issue with the 1910 but I have the same problem with the 3910. I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this?

I am guessing it has to be:

a) bad DVI port on my TV? (Both 1910 and 3910 have same issue so highly unlikely I had 2 faulty players).

b) bad DVI cable (only common factor other than TV for both players)

c) some calibration issue or setting that I am just totally unaware of

Maybe I should just buy an HDMI->HDMI cable and give that a try?
Thanks for any info.

- Joe

The artifact you are seeing is a result of the Faroudja processing. You either live with it, turn brightness down until it's gone(which for me crushes blacks), or return it. The SI504 chip does not manifest this artifact like the Faroudja does.
post #366 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 10:17 AM

Hmm, just got my 3910 hooked up last night, and after a few frustrating attempts to get this beast under control, I seem to be getting along quite nicely now. (The menues are not the most intuiative I've seen.)

I have at least one problem that irritates me, I've hooked up the player to my Yamaha DSP AZ-1 with both analoge (5.1) and optical out. While using the 5.1-out I can't get the same volume on the sub-output as the integrated DTS decoder, while using the test-tone on the player I can hardly hear the sub even though I've set the sub-output volume at +10. I've tried most settings I could, but none are able to reach the volume I need to run my amplifier at "usual" settings.

I've been switching between 5.1 input and integrated DTS decoder (for instance), the difference in regards to sub-volume is very noticeable. Anyone else noticed this? (I have been reading through this thread, but can't seem to find anyone else having this problem.)

Regards,
Tore K., Norway.
post #367 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mercer
I've been switching between 5.1 input and integrated DTS decoder (for instance), the difference in regards to sub-volume is very noticeable. Anyone else noticed this? (I have been reading through this thread, but can't seem to find anyone else having this problem.)

I noticed this too, and to get proper bass output I had to also apply boost in my Denon 3805 receiver, which has a separate bass level control in Setup for Ext-In sub level. Then it was easily rectified, in fact I had to back off some after my initial setting was too much. This all happened after I switched my speaker settings to "large" in the 3910's multichannel setup. When I first got the 3910 I had set them to "small" and the bass output was easily set just using the player's bass range.
post #368 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the reply JBaumgart, then it's not only me having the problem. The problem is that I do not have any posibility to increase the sub-volume on my receiver, it's allready at it's peak.. :-(

The weird thing is that this seems to be a common problem with a lot of 5.1 sources, both my Audigy 2 and my friends old Pioneer DVD player (with 5.1 out) had problems giving an adequate volume to the sub-input..

Regards,
Tore K.
post #369 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

I sat on the fence for numerous weeks trying to decide among the 2900, 5900, 3910 and 59avi. I read alot but today I went to my dealer and listened to them all. Yes....I said LISTENED. I'm as much worried about audio as video. All listening was done into the same receiver, at the same time, using basic 2-channel, analog connections.

I plan on running 480i for now but will upgrade to an SDI solution in the next few months. (Using a Lumagen Vision right now.) For anyone in a similar situation, I offer these comments.

The 2900 is one heck of a player for $700. The audio wasn't quite as good as the 5900 or 3910, but at half the price(of the 5900), its a great deal. The 39/59 deliver better separation and depth as well as a more lifelike presentation. They just sounded smoother, less compressed and overall better.

The 5900 and 3910 are so close, that I had an extremely difficult time telling the difference. 95% of the time, I'd say they're equal. Additionally, the 3910 has superior bass management capability over the 2900. For me, they were close enough that the cost difference of the 5900 wasn't worth it.

The 59avi, as much as I wanted to like it, didn't measure up in the audio department. It sounded thin compared to the others. That's the best way I can explain it. Not bad, but when you heard them side by side, it was easy for me to pick which I liked best.

The verdict (for me)................3910!
It gives you almost equal audio performance of the 5900, firewire input for future hi-res audio (which the 2900 lacks) and arguable better resale value than any of the others. The kicker....it was $300 cheaper than a 5900 and only $300 more than a 2900. Seemed like I was spending a little more to get a player that is certainly the equal(roughly) of the 5900 with alot more future potential than the 2900.

Of course, I'm crossing my fingers that the 480i will be outstanding from the 3910 and SDI will take it to a whole new level. My toes are crossed that the layer change won't be terrible and/or Denon might come up with a fix for it.

Remember, this is what I HEARD. Your results might be different based on any number of factors. This experiment was pretty well controlled and the person with me had the exact same conclusions.

Thanks to everyone for providing their insight in all of these threads!
post #370 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mercer
Thanks for the reply JBaumgart, then it's not only me having the problem. The problem is that I do not have any posibility to increase the sub-volume on my receiver, it's allready at it's peak.. :-(

The weird thing is that this seems to be a common problem with a lot of 5.1 sources, both my Audigy 2 and my friends old Pioneer DVD player (with 5.1 out) had problems giving an adequate volume to the sub-input..

Regards,
Tore K.

Tore, assume you have set your speaker size to "small" in multichannel setup (which for me produced more bass output) and also have your sub turned up to its highest setting? Have you experimented with crossover settings? Also sometimes you can produce more bass by moving your sub to a new location - even a few feet can make a difference. Some combination of these may help.
post #371 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 12:44 PM

I don't have any problems with sub-volume, I could crank it up way more and get a good result. The problem is that I can't do that, and at the same time have a correct volume when I'm using the Yamaha as a decoder. (I mostly use the Denon 3910 for decoding SACD and DVD-Audio). It's good to hear that at least Denon have fixed this problem with their receiver, but it shouldn't have been a problem in the first place (IMHO).

Regards,
Tore K.
post #372 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 01:51 PM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hey guys. Just joined your ranks as a 3910 owner on Saturday. My box arrived a little damaged - styrofoam inside was cracked, and the batteries came out of the accessory bag during shipment, so I haven't set it up yet because I may bring it back to the retailer, although I'll probably set this one up because the unit itself looked pretty well protected, and I know my retailer will stand behind it if there is a problem.

Looking forward to hearing how much better it sounds than my Pioneer 578a.

tjk
post #373 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 03:34 PM

I installed the firmware today and followed the "Firmware
Install Procedure for DVD 3910" exactly.

The instructions say, "Erase and Writing will be shown on the
display repeatedly".

My display only showed "Writing" before displaying "Complete".

Did anyone else notice this? I'm wondering if the firmware was
successfully installed and I don't know if there's a way to verify.

On another note, I ordered a Dtronics 2-1 DVI switch today.

Thanks,

George
post #374 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeG02

display repeatedly".

Thanks,

George

Greetings,

George, fear not. You properly installed the firmware upgrade. The instructions you got were not correct in terms of what should appear on the display during the installation. Your all set.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #375 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

I had no trouble with my subwoofer output on the 3910 either. Remember that you will need to set your pre/pro or receiver to reference level when calibrating the multi channel analog output of the 3910. If you don't overall output will seem too low ( especially the sub out ). When you calibrate your receiver or pre/pro on it's own it will automatically set it's test tone generator to reference level.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #376 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Jbaumgart,
That is one of the reasons I sent back the 3910 and kept the 5900.The sub just had no punch when calibrated to reference level compared to most other players I have owned and the overall sound was alittle thin.
This is while using the coaxial digital out for dvd sound.The picture is good but not as good as the 5900.
post #377 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jkscherk
The verdict (for me)................3910!
It gives you almost equal audio performance of the 5900, firewire input for future hi-res audio (which the 2900 lacks) and arguable better resale value than any of the others.

I assume you mean firewire output, right?

See profile for new equipment list
post #378 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 04:24 PM

I called Denon Canada today and requested the firmware upgrade disc. The technician I spoke to said that they would not send discs out and I had to send the player to them, which is definitely not my preferred choice.

He claims that some people have had problems updating themselves and that the machines ended up requiring a flash memory replacement (or reloading) - his explanation was a bit convoluted.

I think I'll wait a few weeks to see if the situation evolves before sending the player to the service center. I'll need the DVI fixes when my new TV comes in.

Paul.
post #379 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Originally posted by steviec
Jbaumgart,
That is one of the reasons I sent back the 3910 and kept the 5900.The sub just had no punch when calibrated to reference level compared to most other players I have owned and the overall sound was alittle thin.
This is while using the coaxial digital out for dvd sound.The picture is good but not as good as the 5900.

Greetings,

If you are using the coaxil digital out on the 3910 then the bass management is being handled by your receiver or processor. The bass sounding thin would really have nothing to do with the 3910 under those circumstances. I had the 2900 prior to the 3910 and both calibrated similarly. Overall sound via the digital outputs was similar.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #380 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1) How exactly do you check to see what Firmware you have??

2) What e-mail address are you guys using when you ask for the Firmware upgrade???

Thx!!

-- Cain
post #381 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

oops....I did mean output
post #382 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeG02

display repeatedly".

Thanks,

George

George,
You did fine. The "erase" and "writing" would have been shown on your main display (DLP, CRT, LCD, Etc --- hows that for acronyms!!) if you had one hooked up via the s-video outputs. I saw this on my display while updating. The Denon 3910's display showed only "writing" during the whole process, so yours is fine.
Mike
post #383 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Cain
What e-mail address are you guys using when you ask for the Firmware upgrade???

Cain,

contactrepairil@denonnj.com

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #384 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Originally posted by JasonColeman
Cain,

contactrepairil@denonnj.com

Jason

I used contactservice@denonnj.com and got a response rather quickly and got the firmware today. Initial e-mail went out last Wednesday evening.

Bill
post #385 of 7503 Old 10-18-2004, 08:29 PM

Thanks Placidman and Mike for verification that my upgrade went
OK.

Sounds like EMAIL works to obtain the firmware.

I called Denon late last Wednesday afternoon at 973-396-7499,
provided only my name and address and received the CD today
in the mail. Really quick turnaround!

/George
post #386 of 7503 Old 10-19-2004, 03:35 AM

Has anyone seen small white horizontal lines appear randomly on the image when using the dvi connection? If so does the firmware update cure this?

M
post #387 of 7503 Old 10-19-2004, 03:36 AM

I've found a solution for my problem with too low sub-output from my Denon 5.1 connectors. It's possible to decrease all the other channels by -10db, and increase the sub by +10. This gives correct sub level compared to the rest, but it does result in a lower overall volume, but this can easely be amplified by my Yamaha amplifier.

Regards,
Tore K.
post #388 of 7503 Old 10-19-2004, 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cain
1) How exactly do you check to see what Firmware you have??

2) What e-mail address are you guys using when you ask for the Firmware upgrade???

Thx!!

-- Cain

Cain,
I just called yesterday, Oct. 18th and he said they have a new firmware even though my player is only a couple weeks old. I know that doesn't tell you how to check it, but it's probably not up to date.

scott
post #389 of 7503 Old 10-19-2004, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Do the CD´s that have the firmwares state which one it is? If I get a firmware at the local dealer, how do I know it´s the latest one?

Birgir "keyser"
post #390 of 7503 Old 10-19-2004, 06:59 AM

Cain & Keyser,

The Firmware CD from Denon in NJ for the 3910 has
the firmware version and date written on the CD label.

/George
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page