Denon 3910 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2004, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Boogie,

Are you saying the best stereo signal is always output through the L/R analogs and not the fl/fr 5.1, regardless of the disk type?

Must the 3910 be set for stereo downmix for this output to be active for sacd or does it always output mixed stereo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2004, 03:52 PM

maybe something wrong with you skills regarding burning of CD's
Tried it with several burned cd's ( uses clone CD and high quality Verbatim disc's) No problem. Also tried now with an old scratchy burned CD with no problem, so I don't think you problem regarding 3910 is universal

brgds joern

Editor, Norwegian Home Cinema Magazine
Eisa-magazine
Old 11-01-2004, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had no problems with burned cd's.
Is anyone using noise reduction? My biggest problem with most dvd's is simply video noise. Not rainbows, vb, mb or whatever. Like everything this can't help, or doesn't seem to. HD is a different story. Noise seems much less a factor. Seems a bit strange with a basically DVD resolution display.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ErnieW
This is a "heads up" to all Denon 3910 buyers:

If you intend to use it for music CDs that you've burned yourself, make sure that this is one of the things that you check first.

I bought one today, but it's going back because it wouldn't load 15 out of 20 CDs I tried (ones that I've burned myself, and play with no problem on my Denon 1600).

For the ones it DID load (and commercial CDs), the sound was indeed wonderful.

Not sure if this was just one bad unit. Manufactured in June 2004.

--ErnieW

This is NOT the player (although in your case it might be). Here's a tip. Don't burn your CD's at 48X, 32X, or even 24X. Stick with 12-16X, 8X if you're really cautious. Why? Well four-five minutes for a CD isn't to bad at 16X, that and unlike commercial CD/DVD's which are pressed (the data is pressed into them), when you burn a CD the pits are dug into the CD by the laser. The faster your burn, the shallower the pits are, and the harder the laser in the DVD player has to work.

I have a Panasonic DVD player that's a few years old, it reads everything I throw at it, even CDRW's, but my newer Hitachi (my parents) can barely read any of my burnt CD's.

Burn slower, it's not that much of a time difference, and read results will be better. Also if you're doing a lot of downloading, anything under 160kbps bit rate is going to sound icky on good speakers (unless you're tone deaf ).

oh and the obligatory: Don't download mp3's, but the CD's!! (I have actually started buying most of mine again...but that's a post for another day)

Cheers!

- Daphoid
:Your friendly Geek:

EDIT: buying the 3910 just for audio? *throws up* that just makes me sick to my stomach....it's a AMAZING DVD player...why waste all that goodness....get a nice 5 disc SACD/DVDA player..... /personal rant/
Old 11-01-2004, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Daphoid
EDIT: buying the 3910 just for audio? *throws up* that just makes me sick to my stomach....it's a AMAZING DVD player...why waste all that goodness....get a nice 5 disc SACD/DVDA player..... /personal rant/

Daphoid-

Probably 95% of my use is still CD music (multichannel SACD/DVD-A or otherwise). I love the audio performance of this thing and bought it because I figured it would be a big step up from my Pioneer Elite 45a universal (and it is! ). You're right, it's an excellent DVD player, but for me it's an excellent audio player first.

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
Old 11-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Well as long as you USE the video side

- D
Old 11-01-2004, 06:55 PM

Daphoid,
You are exactly correct in everything you've said.

I HAVE been burning all my CDs at 8x, on high quality blanks. I've probably burned close to 100 for myself (coverting vinyl), friends and relatives (converting cassettes). No one has had any problem with my burns on any of their players (even el-cheapo).

Also, you're right about the mp3 quality. If I MUST download an mp3, I use 192Kbps (overkill, I know). But I hate the quality and it really shows through my Sennheiser HD590 phones.

Also, I bought the 3910 for music this winter, until I upgrade my TV to a DLP next summer or fall. I figured I might as well enjoy superior music in the meantime, and be ready with the DVI capabilities for when I need it.

My serial # is actually lower than those that needed the firmware upgrade, so I figure my best option is to just wait maybe 4 months until the build dates are current, i.e. now. Perhaps this is all working out the best for me, if I wait. I'm patient.

--Ernie
Old 11-01-2004, 07:19 PM

This is a repost of a message I accidentally posted outside of this thread. I was wondering if people were getting better results with the DVI or Component connection. I'm personally doing better with the DVI which, in theory, should not be the case. I'm finding the colors are better and there is much greater depth in the picture. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated.

Projector: Sharp 10000
Receiver: Arcam AV300
DVD Player: Denon 3910 (720 p)

Callibrated using the avia disk.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
ErnieW- Thanks for the tip about CDR's. I have a bunch myself, and will specifically test this when I get my 3910. Let us know if the next one is any better, OK?

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

Old 11-01-2004, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I compared my 3910 for redbook CDs versus my Rotel CD changer (1055), using AudioQuest analog interconnects to a Rotel preamp with both players. I was able to do A/B comparisons since I have a few greatest hits CDs that overlap with some non-greatest hits CDs, all remastered around the same time. I was unable to detect any difference between the Denon and Rotel players, which is not that surprising since both use top Burr-Brown audio DACs. I mean this as a compliment to the 3910 since I have loved my Rotel since I got it 2 years ago. Of course, I now have high res audio (the Rotel CD changer does not play either SACD or DVD-A), not to mention an incredible PQ over DVI to my DLP. All in all, I am very happy with my recent purchase.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:40 PM

I am using DVI out from the 3910 to a Sharpl 37" LCD and the 3910 is set at 720 DPI. Component looked great also but I prefer this set-up. I had a Sony HS20 LCD projector and DVI out and 720p also looked the best. I agree, the colors are deeper. When I demoed the 3910 at my local store this configuration also looked better on a 50" rear projection LCD. I'm a LCD fan so I don't know if the same holds true for plasma or CRT.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Mary Ann, somehow let us know if you ever see macroblocking. I'm looking to use the 3910 with an LCD display someday.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

Old 11-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:

Originally posted by 95ForCanada
This is a repost of a message I accidentally posted outside of this thread. I was wondering if people were getting better results with the DVI or Component connection. I'm personally doing better with the DVI which, in theory, should not be the case. I'm finding the colors are better and there is much greater depth in the picture. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated.

Projector: Sharp 10000
Receiver: Arcam AV300
DVD Player: Denon 3910 (720 p)

Callibrated using the avia disk.

Greetings,

95, Actually sending DVI from the 3910 to your Sharp DLP should produce a better image than component ( theoretically speaking ). The digital to analog and then analog to digital conversion process is eliminated by going digital out to digital in. Using component will require the signal to undergo the additonal D/A ( 3910 ) and A/D ( Sharp ) conversion which can introduce artifacting. If you are seeing a better image over DVI then you are in the right ballpark. If you had a CRT based display and were seeing a better image via DVI then I would say your question would be correct.

Quote:

Mary Ann, somehow let us know if you ever see macroblocking. I'm looking to use the 3910 with an LCD display someday.

Kevin, I have an LCD front projector. I did notice some macroblocking while I was tweaking the 3910 to my Sony HS10. I had the settings adjusted a bit on the bright side at the time. While watching City Slickers I noticed it in the scene where Billy Crystal and his wife are in bed talking and the phone rings. The room is dark in this scene and macroblocking is visible on the wall in the background. After proper setup/adjustment this same scene showed no macroblocking at all. I do believe that the settings have a definite effect on macroblocking being visible/evident. I don't see it with any of the material I have viewed on my 3910.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 11-02-2004, 07:38 AM

Man, I'm having a bad week; first I post to the wrong thread then I screw up the actual question. What I meant to say is that I'm getting better results with component, where DVI should theoretically be better (considering it is being sent to a DLP-based device). I haven't run into the macro-blocking issue yet but, to be truthful, I haven't specifically been looking for it.

Now that the question is posed correctly, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:21 AM

I'm somewhat a newbie to all this stuff but I am learning fast, so here is what I know. I think I know what macroblocking looks like because I sometimes see it it with the Cox high definition or digital signal. I have never seen this with the 3910 and this is my third week watching movies now. I calibrated the DVD with Avia as soon as I got it and my current screen is small (37" sharp) and we sit 9 feet back. My serial number is xxxx1305 and I just got the firmware CD today from Denon. I see that black units below xxxx3499 experience Chroma Spread issues on PAL and HDMI per the instructions that came with the CD. I am using the DVI to DVI but I am going to install the firmware anyway because I will be using HDMI to HDMI on the 3910 soon because the new Voom Motorola box that's coming has a DVI port. HDMI in general concerns me because I had poor black levels before with a Motorola 3250 HD box hooked up with a DVI to HDMI cable to the HS20, that is why I just use the DVI out on the 3910, all though my Sharp LCD has both DVI and HDMI inputs. I am not passing audio to the TV anyway. I removed the side speakers from the TV.

My only concern with the unit was the big difference in subwoofer volume when switching between multi-channel audio and the toslink connection but after some tweaking with my amp (Yamaha rx-v750) and the Denon I got it pretty much evened out.

I'll look closely for macroblocking now but it may be more of an issue if you have a larger screen.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:12 AM

tsiopni:
Thanks for the info on the Avia disk. I just ordered it from Amazon. I'm on the road this week, but this weekend will setup and calibrate my 3910. I will report back here on how it looks, (great I'm hoping).

"Tyranny is a form of perversion. We come to love it. Every government is a tyranny to a degree, and the more evil it is, the more it is loved. The difficulty lies in judging the degree of tyranny under which you live".

Geoff Ryman - "The Child Garden"
Old 11-02-2004, 10:17 AM

CDR loadability update

I took my 3910 (which wouldn't load 80% of my CDRs) back to the store, along with my CDRs, and tried loading them on a demo 3910 they had in the store.

No problems - all loaded on the first attempt.

So the store asked Denon Canada to ship a new unit with all firmware updates.

I'm confident that this was a rare single-unit problem.

--Ernie
Old 11-02-2004, 11:14 AM

My CDR's are playing fine. In the op manual on page 8 it states that some CDR/RW may not work. Let us know how you make out.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Viking Dwarf
"Probably 95% of my use is still CD music (multichannel SACD/DVD-A or otherwise)"
Well I'm not at 90%, but audio's a very major factor for me. It really does sound great. It has ... I hate to use the word "airiness" so lets just say "clarity".

Daphoid
"that just makes me sick to my stomach"
Don't get sick. I'd bet that most people with a 3910 are using it as their primary A/V player. We are not all rich. Just equipment geeks.

"Stick with 12-16X, 8X if you're really cautious."
This is a great point. Especially if you want longevity. Plus, there is a lot of cheap burner hardware and software that I just don't trust. But then I am paranoid.

"Network Admin"
Old 11-03-2004, 05:49 AM

Hi all you fellow 3190 owners,

Recently I joined the club and bought an 3910 (upgraded from a Samsung 931). This is really an amazing unit with both excellent video and sound performance.
The only thing that bugs me, is that via DVI/1080i I experience visible color banding when the picture is panning horizontally or vertically. I wonder if that refers to the already mentioned chroma speed issue or Y/C delay which can be fixed by the available firmware upgrade? According to denon germany support all units already have the latest firmware applied.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Markus
Old 11-03-2004, 12:35 PM

Does anybody know if there is any firmware that can make the Denon 3910 code free (multiregion)?
Old 11-03-2004, 12:44 PM

at your local denon dealer

brgds joern

Editor, Norwegian Home Cinema Magazine
Eisa-magazine
Old 11-03-2004, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by navarros
Does anybody know if there is any firmware that can make the Denon 3910 code free (multiregion)?

If you do a search in this forum there was a thread about a hacked firmware.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:56 PM

Liked: 11
I'm now running DVI out from my 3910 to a Dtronics 2x1 DVI
switch into my Sony kde-50xbr950 Plasma.

PQ with component was very good.

But at 720p with the DVI connection PQ is is quite a bit better.
It looks very close to high definition in terms of sharpness,
detail is better and colors are brilliant.

Sound quality is excellent with SACDs, CDs and DVDAs.

So far, I'm very pleased with this unit.

/George
Old 11-03-2004, 05:04 PM

That's great news George. Many of us are getting good results from 720p and DVI. I have found that 720p produces a sharper image than 1080i. When I demo'ed the unit the salesman tried to impress me with DVI by switching from component to 1080i. We were viewing a 50" rear projection LCD TV. (Component looked great by the way). I told him to switch to 720p instead and he was amazed. His actual commect was, "Wow, look at that." and he commented on how much deeper the colors were. I had a Samsung HD931 prior to this and when Nemo swam he had a trail following him. (Sharp LCD 37") The difference with the 3910 was amazing. No trail or blurring at all.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

I was going to bring this up when I got the TV, but eh it'll give me something to discuss now

1080p - what will the 3910 do with it? cry like a baby and give me 1080i at best? Earlier I was pondering DVI + Denon Link (and 5.1 analog connections if I ever go SACD), thoughts?

- D
Old 11-03-2004, 07:10 PM

mmmm, 1080p. Has anyone tried a WMV on their 3910 yet?
I converted from a HTPC to external components myself.

The Denon manual does not state that it can play Windows Media Video (WMV). Are there any other HD DVD movie available besides this format? I suspect the3910 won't or at the very best you will get 1080i. I played one of these disks on a HTPC with Zoom Player Pro tweeked to the max (FFDShow) connected to a Sony HS20 (max res of 1366 x 768) and the image was way softer than the standard DVD that came in the box (Step into Liquid).

Maybe someone else reading this has tried one of these HD movies, otherwise we will just have to rent one and try it.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mary Ann
mmmm, 1080p. Has anyone tried a WMV on their 3910 yet?
I converted from a HTPC to external components myself.

The Denon manual does not state that it can play Windows Media Video (WMV). Are there any other HD DVD movie available besides this format? I suspect the3910 won't or at the very best you will get 1080i. I played one of these disks on a HTPC with Zoom Player Pro tweeked to the max (FFDShow) connected to a Sony HS20 (max res of 1366 x 768) and the image was way softer than the standard DVD that came in the box (Step into Liquid).

Maybe someone else reading this has tried one of these HD movies, otherwise we will just have to rent one and try it.

I tried the wmv STEP INTO LIQUID disc without Zoom Player (just Windows Media Player 10) in my HTPC. The image was way superior to the one produced by the regular 480p disc using a Denon 3910 with the HDMI connection (720p). More sharness, depth and definition in the wmv disc.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:40 PM

That's interesting. What screen were you using to watch the HTPC DVD on, a computer monitor? And if so what is the resolution of the monitor? If it was 1080p then I'm sure it looked better.

What screen were you watching the 3910 on? I feel that the 3910 produces the same excellent image that my souped up PC did with zoom player and FFDshow but like I said, I was just watching Step into Liquid HD DVD on a 1368 x 768 Sony HS20 LCD projector and a Samsung 1280 x 1024 LCD monitor. The two major differences were that the Denon cost slightly more than the HTPC and the Denon is easier for other family members to operate.

As a matter of fact, before I purchased the 3910, I read somewhere that a review from another country was comparing the quality of it to ZP and FFDShow, and I agree.

So I guess I was right in saying that you cannot play a WMV in the 3910? Have you tried one yet? If not please do and let us know if it plays. Thanks
Old 11-04-2004, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mary Ann
That's interesting. What screen were you using to watch the HTPC DVD on, a computer monitor? And if so what is the resolution of the monitor? If it was 1080p then I'm sure it looked better.

What screen were you watching the 3910 on? I feel that the 3910 produces the same excellent image that my souped up PC did with zoom player and FFDshow but like I said, I was just watching Step into Liquid HD DVD on a 1368 x 768 Sony HS20 LCD projector and a Samsung 1280 x 1024 LCD monitor. The two major differences were that the Denon cost slightly more than the HTPC and the Denon is easier for other family members to operate.

As a matter of fact, before I purchased the 3910, I read somewhere that a review from another country was comparing the quality of it to ZP and FFDShow, and I agree.

So I guess I was right in saying that you cannot play a WMV in the 3910? Have you tried one yet? If not please do and let us know if it plays. Thanks

I used a Sharp 37" Aquos LCD TV for both the wmv disc (HTPC) and the DVD (Denon 3910). The Aquos has a resolution of 1,366-by-768, but in my computer the resolution is set to 1,024-by-768.

It makes sense that the wmv provides a better PQ: it is true high definition, while the DVD has a native resolution of only 480p, which is upscaled by the Denon.