Denon 3910 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night I finished hooking up the 3910 for SACD/DVD-A to my Halo C2 . I bought just a few SACD/DVD-A disks from Amazon to test out the 3910. I only had a few minutes to take a listen, but I was very impressed by most of the disks. I have a good system already for 2-channel music, but the dynamic range, clarity, and depth of the SACD/DVD-A recordings was better than I ever heard music on my system (especially the DVD-A of Yes: Fragile).

I need to read the 3910's manual again to figure out if I have all the audio settings right (especially if Enhanced Bass should be on). But so far, I love what I'm hearing.

"So why don't you put her in charge?" - Hudson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by placidman
I assume you will be connecting your 3910/HS10 via DVI? How long of a cable run do you have from the player to the projector?

I will be hooking it up via DVI, but I don't have a cable yet. Where'd you pick yours up? I need something around 10 meters, too. I'm also looking to pick up a 10 meter component to run from my 3805...I've been using the PJ's multicable so far, but when I permanently mount it, I'd like to run good cabling in the walls.

Damn, I'm really excited to get this thing hooked up! I'll post back this evening (or sooner! ).

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #33 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 07:03 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Greetings,

Jason, I got my Dual link DVI cable from Lindy cable USA. You can find them at:

http://www.lindy.com/us/index.php

For high def from my Pioneer Voyager 3510HD cable box the image is awesome. I am hoping that DVD via this same setup yields similar results.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Jason: I have a HS20 and I am using Dynaudio Countour 5.4 for fronts and the S3.4 for rears. I too have a Servo-15 which I love, but since having kids it rarely gets turned on. That being said I have used the Panasonic RP-56, great video quality, but the audio is sure lacking. The first thing I noticed when I hooked up the Denon 3910 is everything sounded better and more clear, especially the voices, I am currently using the HDMI cable that was supplied with the projector so it, isn't a HDMI to HDMI calble, still need to buy a DVI cable and HDMI. Regardless of cables the picture looks fantastic. This is my four Denon player over the years, and hopefully it is one I won't have to return.
post #35 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
Hi Charles,

Thx for the post, and info. What projector are you using?? does your projector have a native HDMI inout, or does it have a DVI input ?? IOW are you using a HDMI-DVI cable ??

Thx!!

-- Cain

I'm using a HDMI to DVI cable. So the differences (darker image via HDMI) can't be from the projector's inputs.

| 
|
|
|
post #36 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 08:45 AM

Whats up FoolintheRain,
Cool name , sounds like a cool name for a 80's power ballad.
(Ya the truths out ..Shawners is a old 80's , big hair butt rocker that lost his hair because of too much gel and hair spray )
I have a 55"WS mitsubishi RPTV ,feed HD by a DISH 6000,Denon 3805(replaced a yamaha 2090), jvc723 dvd( hence , my intrest in the 3910), Klipsch KG 5.2 fronts , Klipsch ksp-c6 center,klipsch KSW-15,klipsch rs-3 rear surrounds. I almost had my wife talked into me upgrading my front speakers to Klipsch rf-7's, but now I'm thinking of the 3910. Please keep us posted on your thoughts/impressions of the 3910.

JASON, Jason,JA....son,
Your an Oak my friend ,
I don't know how your controlling the urge to not burn the midnight oil ,while putting the 3910 to the test. I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Take care guy's,
Shawners
post #37 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

What happens if you output Ycc via HDMI instead of RGB? DOes that bring the brightness back up to more similar to DVI? If so.. it could be due to the colorspace conversion in the HDMI chip.

** Reread and saw that were using HDMI-DVI cables and thus cannot do Ycc out. Issue may still be codespace conversion in HDMI chip. Earlier posts by Stacy Spears was pointing out HDMI chip issues with colorspace conversions leading to crush.
post #38 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay...so I'm listening to The Shins "Chutes Too Narrow" on my freshly hooked up 3910 connected via analog to my 3805. All I can say is WW! The separation and clarity seems leaps and bounds beyond my Pio Elite 45a (which I wasn't really expecting). Some people seem to think the 45 a good audio contender...they obviously haven't listened to the 3910! Damn, you can hear the sound of the tip of the drumstick bouncing on the cymbals!

As somebody else noted, the voices seem remarkably clear...and forward, too. It's only the 3rd song on the first CD on this bad boy, and I haven't even set anything else up yet other than making some connections. I haven't changed any settings or anything and it sound remarkably good. I'm a huge fan of the Paradigm 100's and they sound so damn awesome right now. I've got to get things set up for DenonLink and SACD/DVD-A...oh yeah, this thing plays DVD's, too...I almost forgot...guess I need to get a 10m DVI. Thanks for the Lindy recommendation...nice price...any others? I'll hook up for now via component to my PJ and check it out later tonight. We don't have a dedicated theater room and our living room has a wall of windows that faces west (sans window treatments ala my wife), so I can't really get a good sense of the DVD performance until night sets in.

Ooohhh...next CD...Tortoise's self-titled, or maybe "Standards", or anything of theirs...if you don't know it, check it out. It's the sh!t. Instrumental experimental jazz rock funk fusion on drugs...all courtesy of Chicago. Good stuff!

Wow...happiness abounds!

I'll check back in a bit!

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #39 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonColeman
guess I need to get a 10m DVI. Thanks for the Lindy recommendation...nice price...any others?

Blue Jeans Cable now sells DVI/HDMI cables. I haven't ordered this type of cable from them, but I've ordered other cables. Good company.

"So why don't you put her in charge?" - Hudson
post #40 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Beefgude
I see 1910, 2910, 3910 etc.... is the higher the number, the newer the model, or the other way around?

The xx10 models are the new models (replacing the xx00 models). From 1910 to 2910 to 3910, you go up in build quality, features, and price.
post #41 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 06:18 PM

I am using DVI out to a Panny 50PHD6UY on Auto 1. I have noticed that when the screen has large amounts of black or dark areas that there is a lot of what I can only describe as pixel movement. Its like ligher black blocks dancing around a darker background. It really looks kinda bad. I haven't calibrated my plasma yet...will this get rid of the problem? Could it be me using the DVI cord that came with the Panny DVI blade? Anyone else see these effects? I can see it a lot in movies with a lot of black like Blade 2 and Lord of the Rings.

"The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
Albert Einstein.

My system:

post #42 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm using a HDMI to DVI cable. So the differences (darker image via HDMI) can't be from the projector's inputs.

What I am wondering is if the DVI-HDMI conversion is making a difference in black level ?? I'm running HDMI-HDMI and blacker than black looks best for me.

Wasn't there some issue with black level on one of the Pioneer Elite players when there was a HDMI-DVI conversion??

-- Cain
post #43 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 06:51 PM

Hi Guys,
My 3910 arrived today. Audio through analog is absolutely awesome (SACD Syro Gyra) . I had a 2900 before the sound is much better.
Only have picture through component at the moment still waiting for HDMI cable.
Watched the new Star Wars DVDs very nice picture, cant wait to see it through HDMI.
By for now

post #44 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 07:38 PM

subscribing and asking a question...

i have the 3910, 3805, and a directv hr10-250. i'm THINKING of buying a television with 1 DVI and 1 HDMI input (samsung hlp6163w). the directv hr10-250 only has HDMI output, so i'm going to hook it up to the tv with that. i was planning on hooking up my 3910 via a monster 1M DVI cable.

which is considered better? DVI cable? HDMI cable? or HDMI-DVI cable? i would assume there would be no difference b/c it's digital (duh!) and 2 of the three choices only send video while the HDMI sends audio and video...

btw, all this stuff is still in boxes awaiting setup. can't convince myself the samsung hlp6163w is the right set, but i don't want to hijack the thread...
post #45 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What I am wondering is if the DVI-HDMI conversion is making a difference in black level ?? I'm running HDMI-HDMI and blacker than black looks best for me.

I don't have both HDMI and DVI on my projector to test. I'm sure someone has both to see if the black level is the same coming out of the player. This would be assuming the display device handles both inputs the same. So far I'm not sure either one is better rather just different.

| 
|
|
|
post #46 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 08:24 PM

scorpion,
I just got a 3910 and am planning to hook it up to my sammy 5685W which has all but the denon link and ieee1394 connectors. I still have to order cables so it will be a while before I can test DVI-DVI and HDMI-HDMI connections and black levels. I'm sure someone will post their findings, but if they haven't by next week, i'll post mine.
post #47 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just purchased a 3910 works great. Now I need a new dlp with hdmi. Greg
post #48 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Here's my opinion on the DVI or HDMI connection question. I've always been told a direct connection is better than a non-direct connection. For example. When you use component video out of the DVD player hook it directly to the component ins on the TV, as opposed to going to the receiver and THEN to the TV.

With this theory in mind, I don't quite understand HDMI. It passes audio and video. Great, but someone who has a surround system probably doesn't want the audio going to their 2 channel TV speakers. Likewise if you have a receiver that has HDMI input/output, it would still be an indirect approach for the video in my opionon.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think for TV (video) DVI is more than enough. Its digital. Go right form the DVD player to the TV. Use a separate connection for the audio to your receiver (analog, digital, or Firewire). I really can't see the need for HDMI. Sure it does more, but I don't think its needed

I use Samsung HLN-507W DLP with DVI in
Denon 3910 DVI to TV for video; Denon Link to receiver for sound (except analog for SACD).
Denon 3805 receiver

Any comments? I just think HDMI is overkill and no real value for audio at this point.

Coach Jim Tressel:
1 National Title
5 Big Ten Titles
7-1 vs. M*ch*g*n
83-19 (.814)
post #49 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

PS....Scorpion, love my Sammy DLP. Won't need to upgrade until the 1080p sets are dirt cheap in my opinion. Mine's a 2nd gen, yours will most likely be a 3rd (even better)!

Coach Jim Tressel:
1 National Title
5 Big Ten Titles
7-1 vs. M*ch*g*n
83-19 (.814)
post #50 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Omen
I need to read the 3910's manual again to figure out if I have all the audio settings right (especially if Enhanced Bass should be on). But so far, I love what I'm hearing.

Omen, when you find out more about the bass management capabilities could you write here a quick report about it? I'm considering 2910/3910 as my universal player but there is this open question of bass management on DVD-A and SACD discs.

I think that the LFE/.1 channel can't be steered into mains. But what can you feed to .1 channel? What happens if you have subwoofer as 'yes', bass enchane as 'yes' and all speakers as large?
Nothing?
L+R+.1 into the .1 channel?
post #51 of 7503 Old 09-21-2004, 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JasonColeman
I will be hooking it up via DVI, but I don't have a cable yet. Where'd you pick yours up? I need something around 10 meters, too.

I bought a 10 meter DVI cable from Ram Electronics, along with component, VGA, and composite cables in the same length. They all work perfectly.

-- Chouca
post #52 of 7503 Old 09-22-2004, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IO had a Full-Screen video, and the player stretched it into 16:9.

Does that "squeeze mode" set it such that a 4:3 video gets shown as 4:3 on a 16:9 TV ??

Thx. (I no longer have the full-scren video so I can't test it out).

-- Cain
post #53 of 7503 Old 09-22-2004, 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FoolintheRain
PS....Scorpion, love my Sammy DLP. Won't need to upgrade until the 1080p sets are dirt cheap in my opinion. Mine's a 2nd gen, yours will most likely be a 3rd (even better)!

actually, your 2nd gen is probably better than the 3rd. i'm not sure what chip you have, but the set i'm looking at (hlp6163) has the HD3 chip. i'm told the HD2+ chip is much better. i'm waiting on a samsung tabletop 61" with HD2+ chip or better. hope i'm not waiting long...
post #54 of 7503 Old 09-22-2004, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

IO had a Full-Screen video, and the player stretched it into 16:9.

Does that "squeeze mode" set it such that a 4:3 video gets shown as 4:3 on a 16:9 TV ??

Thx. (I no longer have the full-scren video so I can't test it out).

-- Cain

Yes.
post #55 of 7503 Old 09-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

I just have the HD2 chip...not the HD2+. You are correct though. The HD2+ is better than the HD3 (mass produced for economy). The names are a little misleading though huh? Check out this site, its explains all the improvements and differences.

www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html

Coach Jim Tressel:
1 National Title
5 Big Ten Titles
7-1 vs. M*ch*g*n
83-19 (.814)
post #56 of 7503 Old 09-22-2004, 09:29 AM

My ISF calibrator came today and fixed the black moving squares in my picture...its was just the fact that I was using DVI out and I didn't have the Advanced Black Level setting checked on my 3910. Cleared that up right quick. However now I am noticing that all my blacks look greenish as others have reported. The ISF calibrator did a good job of minimizing this effect but I can still notice it. He said it is a shame Denon puts out a product with such green looking black levels for that much money. All the other inputs to my plasma look fantastic with no such effect from other input sources(another DVI and one component from GameCube and HR10-250).

"The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
Albert Einstein.

My system:

post #57 of 7503 Old 09-22-2004, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Osl2004
My ISF calibrator came today and fixed the black moving squares in my picture...its was just the fact that I was using DVI out and I didn't have the Advanced Black Level setting checked on my 3910. Cleared that up right quick.

Since the only difference between Enhanced and Normal is a lower black level I'm guessing if you raised your black level to match the Normal setting you would see the same issue. The lower black level is just masking it better.

| 
|
|
|
post #58 of 7503 Old 09-23-2004, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well guys, so far I'm still REALLY pleased with this player.

The picture simply amazes me everytime I see another movie. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and find some ctitical flaw, but so far, nothing yet.

The sharpness of this picture is simply amazing. Like I said I believe this is all that can be wrung out of DVD. It is looking more and more like this will be me last DVD player until Blu-Ray or whatever is next.

Have you guys tried fiddling with that H and V pixel enhancement thing ?? I don't see how the picture can look any sharper.

-- Cain
post #59 of 7503 Old 09-23-2004, 04:41 AM

Quote:

The sharpness of this picture is simply amazing

Cain
Is this due to the Image Enhanced circuit being enabled if so what does it look like disabled

cheers laurie
post #60 of 7503 Old 09-23-2004, 02:48 PM

for those of you interested, when the 3910 is queried through the serial port, the model number returned is "Denon 5900"...
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page