Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 7503 Old 09-23-2004, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Is this due to the Image Enhanced circuit being enabled if so what does it look like disabled

It is disabled by default, and I have not turned it on. I don't see how the picture can be any sharper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 7503 Old 09-24-2004, 12:51 PM

Liked: 10
My replacement 3910 arrived & it's very impressive. I'm sorry if this has been covered already, but I can't seem to find an answer. Does anyone know what the pros and cons are of the 2 available options for HDMI video signal output, ie, HDMI Y Cb Cr or HDMI RGB--both look good to me on my Panasonic LCD.
post #63 of 7503 Old 09-24-2004, 01:45 PM

I just got mine last night as well, despite my reservations due to previous "buggy" Denon dvd players (dvd-1000 and dvd-3800) and the number of bug reports here.

Played a few CDs and SACDs and everything seemed ok. Got a little confused why it wouldn't output both DVI and Component, but figured that out.

The few minutes of Star Wars IV I watched looked great.

I'm also glad they fixed a lot of the little quibbles I had w/ the ergonomics of the 3800. Like soft and hard power buttons on the front. Also, I really like that, unlike the 3800, when my house's power is interrupted and reset the DVD player doesn't default to on.

Is there a FAQ up yet, or a list of recommended settings?
So far I've decided to use either DVI or Compoent, I set the IRE to 0 (that menu took a little finding), left Black level at normal.

Anyone have any clue about "Picture mode"? I've left mine on Auto 1, but couldn't really tell and diff. w/ Auto 2 (or any of the Video modes for that matter).

Also, are there any general tips for the "Chroma delay" and "Chroma level" series of adjustments? I've just left everything at default, other then the "H enhancement".

thanks,
Jon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #64 of 7503 Old 09-24-2004, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Anyone have any clue about "Picture mode"? I've left mine on Auto 1, but couldn't really tell and diff. w/ Auto 2 (or any of the Video modes for that matter).

Read the indepth review here for which one to leave it on-

HERE

Spero D.
post #65 of 7503 Old 09-24-2004, 05:48 PM

Yeah, I've tried to read that review briefly a few times. Was hoping for something in English...

What I got from the review is Auto 1 does 3:2 pulldown and Auto 2 does 2:2??

post #66 of 7503 Old 09-24-2004, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

From the review-

Quote:

Despite its many De-Interlace de DVD3910 large "experiments" does not require modes for the selection of the correct mode: Both "Auto1" and "Auto2" supply almost identically perfect of results to film DVDs. Thus the 3910 more comfort than many other DVD Player offers clearly: Here applies simply, turn on and ensureless enjoy.

Therefore roughly translated I would suggest as per the DVD-5900 that it is left on Auto 1.

Spero D.
post #67 of 7503 Old 09-25-2004, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
For whatever reason (maybe Kris will chime in), Secrets rates Auto 2 a hair above Auto 1 for the 5900. No explanation in the text though.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

post #68 of 7503 Old 09-25-2004, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Kevin. Looks like they are both pretty close. Hopefully Kris or the reviewer will post here.
post #69 of 7503 Old 09-25-2004, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

So we watched Star Wars last night and the picture was really amazing. The 3910 can be sluggish at times and it takes much longer than my Pio 45a to load a disc, but that's pretty minor. One thing that I noticed is that many of the colors seem off or too intense. The blue on R2-D2 was nearly electric and C3P0's "skin" was almost a reddish-gold. This was really evident after they landed in the escape pod and were walking through the desert. Otherwise, the picture looked fantastic. Maybe it's time to calibrate our PJ, but it's the first time I've noticed it. Are there picture settings that need to be adjusted from the defaults?

The other thing I noticed was the audio levels are really low. I saw where to adjust the channel levels, but it seems that you can only turn them down from 0 dB instead of being to turn them up. I had to set the volume on my 3805 about 10-15 higher than I have had to in the past. Is there some other adjustment?

Thanks,

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #70 of 7503 Old 09-25-2004, 01:46 PM

Jason,
I watched SW last night too, colors seemed right on to me and controls didn't seem any more sluggish than the 3800 this unit replaced.

Are you watching through a new input (DVI/HDMI)? Is it possible that you haven't calibrated your projector on that input? I'm watching through component input (which I've calibrated my GWII for) and the only adjustment I've made is in the "Picture memory" menu going to the "Set" menu and changing IRE from 7.5 to 0. Looks pretty calibrated to me. One quibble I have is the 3910 seems to slightly push Green. Not convinced yet, since I've only watched one movie, I'll have to get Avia/DVE back from my friend and really check into this.

Also, audio, through the digital coax out seems at the same level as my 3800 was. I think the channel levels only apply to the analog output, is that what you're using?

post #71 of 7503 Old 09-25-2004, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JasonColeman
So we watched Star Wars last night and the picture was really amazing. The 3910 can be sluggish at times and it takes much longer than my Pio 45a to load a disc, but that's pretty minor. One thing that I noticed is that many of the colors seem off or too intense. The blue on R2-D2 was nearly electric and C3P0's "skin" was almost a reddish-gold. This was really evident after they landed in the escape pod and were walking through the desert. Otherwise, the picture looked fantastic. Maybe it's time to calibrate our PJ, but it's the first time I've noticed it. Are there picture settings that need to be adjusted from the defaults?

The other thing I noticed was the audio levels are really low. I saw where to adjust the channel levels, but it seems that you can only turn them down from 0 dB instead of being to turn them up. I had to set the volume on my 3805 about 10-15 higher than I have had to in the past. Is there some other adjustment?

Thanks,

Jason

Colors have been fine for me, exceptional actuallly. Have you run through a calibration DVD since youve hooked the 3910 up?

The levels in the 3910 only affect the analog outputs. Is that what you are using when playing movies, the 5.1 analog in? I didnt have any issues with the 3910 and volume levels. From my previous player (another Denon) there was probably only minor adjustments required for the different channels.

John
post #72 of 7503 Old 09-25-2004, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks you guys. Sorry I wasn't more complete with info earlier. I'm using the component outs through my 3805 for now, until I get a DVI cable to run to my PJ. I am using the analog outs for audio, too. I've got a digital coax from my Pio 45 that I'll swap in this evening and see if there's a difference. I haven't run a calibration disc yet, hopefully that'll make a difference in the colors. I've got to sit down with a pot of coffee and go through the owner's manual...there are a lot of settings between the 3805 and the 3910 that I need to get figured out.

Thanks again,

Jason

post #73 of 7503 Old 09-25-2004, 06:03 PM

Okay, for you 3910 owners, where's a good inexpensive place to buy one? I've seen $974 at hometheatertown but they have a disclaimer that Denon won't honor the Denon Warrantee??? Nice Electronics has it for $980 WITH a US warrantee. That's the best I've seen so far...
Anyone else?
post #74 of 7503 Old 09-25-2004, 08:47 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry if this has been covered already, but I can't seem to find an answer. Does anyone know what the pros and cons are of the 2 available options for HDMI video signal output, ie, HDMI Y Cb Cr or HDMI RGB--both look good to me on my Panasonic LCD.

Well, since no one answered this outright, could someone at least pick from multiple choice?
(a) Your question was answered already you moron, do a search & don't bother us!
(b) Your question is so stupid that it doesn't merit an answer.
(c) No one knows the answer to your question.
(d) HDMI Y Cb Cr is better
(e) HDMI RGB is better.
Thanks!
post #75 of 7503 Old 09-25-2004, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Gus B
Well, since no one answered this outright, could someone at least pick from multiple choice?
(a) Your question was answered already you moron, do a search & don't bother us!
(b) Your question is so stupid that it doesn't merit an answer.
(c) No one knows the answer to your question.
(d) HDMI Y Cb Cr is better
(e) HDMI RGB is better.
Thanks!

Gus-

As I'm using the component connections of the 3910 for now, waiting for a 10m DVI to arrive for my PJ, I'll have to go for....letter C. However, I give you an A for creativity.

Jason

post #76 of 7503 Old 09-25-2004, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MaxPaws
Okay, for you 3910 owners, where's a good inexpensive place to buy one? I've seen $974 at hometheatertown but they have a disclaimer that Denon won't honor the Denon Warrantee??? Nice Electronics has it for $980 WITH a US warrantee. That's the best I've seen so far...
Anyone else?

What exactly is a US warranty? Nice Electronics isn't listed at Denon's site as an authorized dealer, so I'm not sure what their language means exactly. I've read about a lot of defective 3910s already, so I'd be a bit leery getting one from a non-authorized source. However, 980 is an awesome price (320 off msrp...did you read that, Rich?)

Jason

post #77 of 7503 Old 09-26-2004, 12:25 AM

IMO, if I had to choose between purchasing a Denon unit from a NY dealer who isn't listed as an authorized Denon dealer and working with an authorized dealer, I'd choose the authorized one because: this is a newer model and some have reported defects, and I'll have peace of mind knowing I can try the unit out and return it within 30 days if dissatisfied.

OTOH, saving money is usually a good thing, so caveat emptor.

here's what reseller ratings had to say about nice electronics. HTH
post #78 of 7503 Old 09-26-2004, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by heffalump
...here's what reseller ratings had to say about nice electronics. HTH

Thanks for that link!

I'd LIKE to buy from a local authorized dealer, but as I'm about to drop some major bucks into a 3910, PLUS new separates (either Sherwood or B&K so far), it's gonna add up VERY quickly. I could probably get a 3910 for free with the money saved buying the separates online vs. local store! Maybe... And yeah, I know, caveat emptor!
post #79 of 7503 Old 09-26-2004, 05:46 AM

MaxPaws,

PM me, or email scottyb@scottyb.com

Scott
post #80 of 7503 Old 09-26-2004, 08:20 AM

I mentioned this on the 10.5 (Integra) thread, but I'll repeat it here:

I had the chance to compare a 10.5 ($2500) with the 3910 ($1200) in my home theater. I calibrated both units over their digital connections (DVI for the 3910), running digital audio from each to my Casablanca III for processing.

The 3910, to my eyes, had a slighly preferable picture on some content to the 10.5. On other content, it was a dead draw. When the image was better, it was more "film-like" to me, fewer artifacts, slightly better color. Subtle, but definitely there. Given the price difference, and the slight edge in image, the 3910 is the better value and choice for video, in my opinion. Sound was equivalent (as a transport).

Hope that helps! I returned the 10.5 and kept the 3910. Build quality on the 3910 is good, but it's great on the 10.5. Still, you can't have everything, and quality of image is more important to me than heft

-Adam
post #81 of 7503 Old 09-26-2004, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MusicmanSeattle
I've got several DVD-Audio discs I've been using quite a bit since I got the 3910, and I'm using DVI to my Sony GWIII. I haven't had any problem with the menus not showing up over DVI --- they've all been just fine. I've got my DVI default set to 720p, but the menus show up at 480p or 1080i, as well. Not sure what's going on for you, unfortunately.

Follow up to my previous post --- I now have two 3910s, and they exhibit different behavior with the DVD-Audio menus over DVI. I thought maybe I was I was going crazy, so I set them back to factory defaults (instructions for that are in the manual), then went through exactly the same set of (minimal) configuration steps. One player shows the DVD-Audio menus over DVI, one doesn't.

What gives? Anyone have any ideas? There's definitely a consistency problem here....

The "older" player, based on serial number, incidentally, is the one that doesn't display the menus.

Thanks!
post #82 of 7503 Old 09-26-2004, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the date of manufacture of the players? I have had two units and both were made in June and both properly displayed DVD-A menus thru DVI.
post #83 of 7503 Old 09-26-2004, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

The "older" player, based on serial number, incidentally, is the one that doesn't display the menus.

Can you please post your SN's so we can know which ones to look out for?
post #84 of 7503 Old 09-26-2004, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by scsiraid
What is the date of manufacture of the players? I have had two units and both were made in June and both properly displayed DVD-A menus thru DVI.

My unit that DID show the menus was a black June 2004 unit in the upper 700 serial number range (last three digits were 7**).

My unit that DID NOT show the menus was a silver July 2004 unit with a serial number below 50 (last digits were 0**).

(I don't feel like it's a good idea to post the EXACT serial numbers here, so those should get you close enough.)
post #85 of 7503 Old 09-26-2004, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

My SN is in the upper 400's, but I don't have a DVI cable yet so I'm just using the component connection to my PJ. The cable should be here in a couple days, so I'll find out.

Jason

post #86 of 7503 Old 09-26-2004, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

My unit that DID NOT show the menus was a silver July 2004 unit with a serial number below 50 (last digits were 0**).

We can probably eliminate serial #'s from the equation since my last 3 digits are below 100 (0*0) and the menus show just fine over DVI.

Bill
post #87 of 7503 Old 09-26-2004, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Off topic, but I need some help from fellow 3910 owners.

I am trying to go through DVE and cannot change title numbers. Even through the menus. I can easily change chapters, that is a no-brainer, but I want to get to some test patterns and cannot.

Granted - I have not spent a huge amount Of time with this, but I do not know what else to try. Also granted - I have not navigated DVE before.

If someone could help, I'd appreciate it.

Dave
post #88 of 7503 Old 09-27-2004, 12:17 PM

I posted this way back on page one, as I ran into the same problem:

Quote:

At any rate, while trying to jump around the DVE disc, I noticed a bug. For some reason, the 3910 wouldn't let me jump to another title after already jumping into one. The "Search Mode" button seemed to function correctly, but entering a title number just ensued in the "can't do that" icon. I would have to stop all the way, restart the disc, and then jump to the title I wanted.

Playing around, I discovered that if I used the "Display" button, I could enter a new title there. That seemed to work as expected.

That's my workaround.

- Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
post #89 of 7503 Old 09-27-2004, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

That didn't work for me...I think. I'll try it again.

Sorry - Obviously I haven't read all five pages.

Dave
post #90 of 7503 Old 09-27-2004, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dave7
...I haven't read all five pages.

Or the five-hundred page manual! That thing should be separated into volumes.

Good luck!

Jason

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page