Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Sose View Post

NTSC version

Any ideas why I get a MUCH BETTER picture using component vs DVI to HDMI??

Denon DVD 1910
Mits WD62725.

Your displays scaler is better than the Denons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 353 Old 06-02-2006, 02:40 PM

Is there a way to get my NTSC 1910 to play PAL disks??
post #333 of 353 Old 06-02-2006, 10:01 PM

a couple of questions for all you here.

1. i have a chance to buy this brand new for $70, is it worth it as i will be using only component for the time being.

2. the firmware on it is 1.08, i emailed denon and they said they wont send the newer 1.12 firmware. where could i get this newer firmware upgrade from.

thanks a bunch to all who respond.
post #334 of 353 Old 06-02-2006, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Sose View Post

Is there a way to get my NTSC 1910 to play PAL disks??

No
post #335 of 353 Old 06-02-2006, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason forster View Post

a couple of questions for all you here.

1. i have a chance to buy this brand new for $70, is it worth it as i will be using only component for the time being.

2. the firmware on it is 1.08, i emailed denon and they said they wont send the newer 1.12 firmware. where could i get this newer firmware upgrade from.

thanks a bunch to all who respond.

for 70 bucks its not horrible but it has flaws.

and why denon is being this way is no surprise.

One of the reasons I sold this player, no support.
post #336 of 353 Old 06-03-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazog View Post

No

Thanx.
post #337 of 353 Old 06-25-2006, 11:25 PM

Hey guys,

I need the DVD-1910 1.12 firmware for NTSC. Apparently it's MIA, and Denon tech support is giving me the runaround and the original email link that I sent a nice message to is unresponsive...

Any ideas?

--Mike
post #338 of 353 Old 06-27-2006, 10:13 AM

Can anyone PM me the firmware? No response yet from Denon.

--Mike
post #339 of 353 Old 07-18-2006, 05:35 PM

Desperate here... I'm getting three-second dropouts with every DVD. Does anyone have the updated firmware before I throw this thing in the garbage?

--Mike
Denver, CO
post #340 of 353 Old 08-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Ree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazog View Post

[link]
REGION FREE 1.12 for PAL players

NOT FOR NTSC Players

if anyone has seen a NTSC Region Free Firmware please PM!

Could anyone describe for me how to burn this strange file format (ab5??) to a cd so that it will work with my Denon 1910?
I would also really appriciate some directions on how to make the update.
I AM aware of the risks involved, just to be clear on that point
post #341 of 353 Old 08-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Ree

From what I have gathered, the file is not an image, but is to be burned on to a cd as a file?
No replies, so I will just try this tonight..
post #342 of 353 Old 08-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Ree

Yay! It worked. I now have firmware v.1.12 and it is region "0", meaning region free. It works like a charm
post #343 of 353 Old 01-14-2007, 05:00 PM

Does anybody still have the NTSC 1.12 firmware lying around that they can share?

(I just ordered an OPPO 971H, but I'd like to get my 1910 up to date before passing it on to my parents.)
post #344 of 353 Old 01-15-2007, 02:46 PM

Sorry, I have the CD with firmware 1.12 on it somewhere here in the house, wish I could find it and send it to ya, but chances are bad that I locate it

Anyhow, have had this player for 2 1/2 years now, absolutely no regrets. People over watching movies here always comment "Is this hi def? It looks really good!" and the only issue I notice is the layer switch (wow, <2 second pause on some DVDs half way into the movie, big deal). FYI i use a DVI-to-HDMI cable with 720p output, and spent a long while with the AVIA disc setting up my picture when I first got the player and my current Toshiba set.

Popped in Finding Nemo again the other day and it looks excellent. The "macroblocking" or other artifacts look no worse than other players I've seen around in friends' homes or stores (then again I haven't recently seen playback of this or other movies on expensive players that some of u folks swear by).

I'll certainly be keeping the 1910 till my next A/V upgrade (including future 1080p 60+ inch RP set). Great and reliable product for the money. Prolly will get something that's been critically-acclaimed by you lot...prolly $$$
post #345 of 353 Old 01-18-2007, 09:00 AM

I've had this player for 2 years now. I just read about the shaking in the opening of Star Wars. I always thought it was the movie... But now I read its the player.

Is the upgrade firmware posted on a file share site? Denon says it is unavaliable. (for some reason). Is it on Limewire or some file sharing network?

Also does this new firmware fix the slight green push and gamma problems?

Jake
post #346 of 353 Old 01-18-2007, 09:50 AM

Which Star Wars do you refer to? I just recently watched episodes 4, 5, and 6, no issue as you describe @ opener. But, I *do* have the 1.12 firmware update.
post #347 of 353 Old 01-18-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndahbar View Post

Which Star Wars do you refer to? I just recently watched episodes 4, 5, and 6, no issue as you describe @ opener. But, I *do* have the 1.12 firmware update.

It was Ep 1 after it was brought to my attention. Not bad , but it does look unstable.

How did you get the firmware? I tryed Denon CS but they were very unhelpful.
post #348 of 353 Old 01-18-2007, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelm3075 View Post

Also does this new firmware fix the slight green push and gamma problems?

Quote:

How did you get the firmware? I tryed Denon CS but they were very unhelpful.

I, for one, acquired the firmware update 1.12 disc early last year directly from Denon Customer Service...and no, it definitely did NOT correct the green push. Nor did it do anything for the hideous macroblocking and gamma noise. In fact, I'm really not sure what v1.12 supposedly fixed. Picture quality via the DVI output (both 480p AND upconverted 720p/1080i) looks positively horrendous even after applying the update, which the player itself confirmed as having been installed properly. Even 480p over component looks unsatisfactory, though not nearly as bad as DVI. 480i over component, however, is another story. The picture is VERY clean and stable. So I send component 480i into a DVDO iScan Pro progressive scaler which is then upconverted to 720p by my Toshiba DLP. The results are fabulous. The only reason I didn't give up on this player was because of the sound. Its Burr-Brown analog outputs are prestine and provide fantastic CD and PCM DVD playback. Besides, I only paid $40 for it brand-new. (Some poor sap over-extended himself and needed cash; he didn't completely realize what he had and practically gave it away before even opening the box. Lucky me...I suppose. ) Anyway, since I found a workaround with equipment already owned (the iScan), it doesn't feel like I'm owning it totally for naught. With sporatic exceptions, I think by now it's pretty clear that the Faroudja chip in these players were never designed properly (or had defects in manufacturing), and thus is responsible for the video anomalies, including the green push and severe macroblocking.

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

post #349 of 353 Old 01-19-2007, 07:11 AM

Well the green push and macroblocking I have to a bare minimum. I calibrated my set well enough, that when friends come ove to watch movies , they thing the picture is awsome. But you know how us tweekers can be about Pq and Sq (never satisfied).

Any ways, besides the unstableness at the begining of SW TPM, picture seems pretty decent. I just though the firmware was availiable somehwere on the internet.,.
post #350 of 353 Old 01-19-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the green push and macroblocking I have to a bare minimum. I calibrated my set well enough, that when friends come ove to watch movies , they thing the picture is awsome. But you know how us tweekers can be about Pq and Sq (never satisfied).

Any ways, besides the unstableness at the begining of SW TPM, picture seems pretty decent. I just though the firmware was availiable somehwere on the internet.,.

Well, my set was ISF-calibrated for both the 480p (via 1910 w/iScan Pro scaler) and 720p/1080i (via Toshiba HD-A1) inputs. No way was I going to start my calibration off with the 1910 reflecting green and macroblocking the way it had been. For me, at the end of the day there shouldn't be any player anomalies, at least not to that degree. It's just inexcusable to me for a product like that to be unleashed on the buying public. I guess the severity of the 1910's issues varies from player to player. For instance, though I had green haze/MB issues, I didn't have any picture stability issues. So I guess with the 1910 it's a crap-shoot. The thing about the so-called green push is interesting: There really isn't any amount of real calibration per se that will solve it in that it isn't as though the color green is "accentuated." The picture had an overall green haze over it, which isn't the same thing. When green is isolated and tweeked on the TV, what ends up happening is that the balance for ALL green is desaturated whereby the haze still lingers. (If you switch between the DVI 720p/1080i and component 480i outputs, you'll see what I mean.) Though it does help in minimizing its affects, the overall color balance is knocked off kilter. So my ISF rep chose to bypass the 1910's internal progressive scanner/deinterlacer for maximum results. And boy am I glad he did, as the difference was striking.

That said, perhaps you'll have better results with the firmware updates than I did. I'm sure I have the disc around here somewhere. If you PM me your email address, I'd be more than happy to send you a copy of the disc's contents once I dig it up. I don't believe the file is all that large, but I'll have to confirm that.

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Sony KDS-60A3000

Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

post #351 of 353 Old 01-19-2007, 08:54 AM

My Mit was also ISF calibrated. What I did was I wrote down the Isf calibrations in the service menu. Then did minor adjustments via service menu for the player. When I purchase a new player, I will just put back the ISF settings. The minor setting change I did, doesnt affect the picture to a point where the colors are bad, but it did knock down the green tint in the dark areas a tad.

I so appreciate the offer. Is there a way you could email the file? Or would you prefer to mail it?
post #352 of 353 Old 01-19-2007, 11:01 AM

I calibrated my Toshiba 52 inch DLP myself. Tried the best I could. Anyhow, I have no issues with my 1910 outputing 720p upconverted signal, over DVI. Green push, macroblocking, I really don't see much at all to be an issue. I've seen many movies now on it, no issues, and it looks really good, seriously. The upconverting is not hype: It really does look close to hi-def, and ppl always comment how clear the movie is compared to where they've seen it elsewhere.

As for the audio, can't comment cuz I use fiber optic.

For the price, a GREAT player. Sure, if i was to buy one now, I'd get the Oppo, but my 1910 has been with me since Sept 2004

Oh, jakelm, I got the 1.12 update a long time ago, when it first came out. I downloaded it off a link that someone on avsforum provided, and then also to be sure, called Denon and asked to have a CD shipped to me (free btw) containing the update. After I confirmed both were identical I was satisfied. The CD is somewhere in my house, but it's a mess in the storage! Argh I can probably find a pig flying before I find that CD
post #353 of 353 Old 01-19-2007, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Mit was also ISF calibrated. What I did was I wrote down the Isf calibrations in the service menu. Then did minor adjustments via service menu for the player. When I purchase a new player, I will just put back the ISF settings. The minor setting change I did, doesnt affect the picture to a point where the colors are bad, but it did knock down the green tint in the dark areas a tad.

I so appreciate the offer. Is there a way you could email the file? Or would you prefer to mail it?

My previous HDTV was a 1080i Mits CRT RPTV, and they are great sets to calibrate. My Tosh 52HM95, though a slightly higher calibre set than my previous (save for black levels), doesn't calibrate quite as effortlessly. So rather than have to re-adjust the 480p settings down the line post-1910, I had the set calibrated via the iScan's 480p output since I also switch the 1910 between an SD TiVo STB and a laserdisc player (yea, I still got mine! *lol*).

Check your PMs, jake...I sent you a note regarding the firmware update.

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Sony KDS-60A3000

Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page