The "Official" Denon DVD-2910 Owners Thread - Page 100 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #2971 of 2973 Old 01-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon 2910 firmware

I just got a Denon 2910 and the HDMI does not work need a copy of the firmware. Please help. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
I have exactly the same issue, no HDMI output. Never updated the firmware. I emailed Denon for the firmware and have not received response. Would it be posiible for you to email me the firmware?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2973 Unread Yesterday, 04:39 PM

Liked: 10
Greetings,

I picked up a used Denon DVD-2910 for $50, which appears to be in excellent condition.

However, I'm having a strange problem, and have been unable to resolve it:

The player can play DVD-Audio over HDMI in all resolutions and all channel configurations (multi-channel and stereo); DVDs with Dolby Digital and DTS also work fine over HDMI.

However, when I try and use the 5.1 analog connections, playback is limited to two channel (L/R). The display clearly reads multi-channel (i.e. all the boxes are lit on the RHS) and the SACD selector is set to "multi-channel" but I only get playback on L/R. This happens whether the "downmix" light is lit or not, for either DVD-Audio or SACD.

Also, don't know if it's related, but I appear to be locked out of the Audio menu selections: on the Setup/ Audio menu, my only highlighted choices are "Compression on/off" and "SACD filter" - the rest of the selections are greyed out (Audio Channel/ Digital Output/ LPCM/ Source Direct/ Bass Enhancer) and I cannot change them.

Any insights from experienced users would be great - I bought the DVD-2910 to play multichannel DVD-Audio and SACDs, and right now I can't figure out how to make it work over the analog connections, which is the only way to hear SACD multi-channel. Thanks!
post #2973 of 2973 Unread Today, 12:15 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozercsx View Post
Greetings,

I picked up a used Denon DVD-2910 for $50, which appears to be in excellent condition.

However, I'm having a strange problem, and have been unable to resolve it:

The player can play DVD-Audio over HDMI in all resolutions and all channel configurations (multi-channel and stereo); DVDs with Dolby Digital and DTS also work fine over HDMI.

However, when I try and use the 5.1 analog connections, playback is limited to two channel (L/R). The display clearly reads multi-channel (i.e. all the boxes are lit on the RHS) and the SACD selector is set to "multi-channel" but I only get playback on L/R. This happens whether the "downmix" light is lit or not, for either DVD-Audio or SACD.

Also, don't know if it's related, but I appear to be locked out of the Audio menu selections: on the Setup/ Audio menu, my only highlighted choices are "Compression on/off" and "SACD filter" - the rest of the selections are greyed out (Audio Channel/ Digital Output/ LPCM/ Source Direct/ Bass Enhancer) and I cannot change them.

Any insights from experienced users would be great - I bought the DVD-2910 to play multichannel DVD-Audio and SACDs, and right now I can't figure out how to make it work over the analog connections, which is the only way to hear SACD multi-channel. Thanks!
FYI, I figured it out/answered my own question!
(of course, it wasn't really all me - I poured over scores of entries within this thread...)

So, the key is: the Denon DVD-2910 can do either high resolution multichannel via the HDMI, or via the analog outs, but not both at the same time.
(this is also cryptically described on p.16 of the manual)

For multichannel analog out (either DVD-Audio or SACD), you MUST set the HDMI Audio output to "2CH" - this activates both the Audio menu setup and enables analog multichannel. If you don't do this, you will only get L/R out of the analog 5.1 outputs.

For multichannel digital out via the HDMI (only DVD-audio mind you) you set the HDMI audio output to either "Multi Normal" or "Multi LPCM". The DVD-2910 won't do SACD multichannel via the HDMI, so if you're an SACD guy, you must configure the analog as per above.

I have both DVD-Audio and SACDs, so I either just leave it in analog mode, or switch back and forth if I want digital DVD-Audio. My receiver is the Panasonic SA-XR57, so it can handle 5.1 channels of direct digital 96khz, or two channel direct digital 192khz - so HDMI DVD-Audio works fine. I just think it's a poor decision to not allow SACD via HDMI (even if it meant converting to LPCM in order to do so) - it's simply inconvenient to have to switch back and forth.

Still, the DVD-2910 now works perfectly - best $50 electronics purchase, like, ever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page