Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 2970 Old 12-10-2004, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just finished talking to the Denon Hong Kong technican here n they said no firmware upgrade will ever be offer here. So, he suggested me to increase the HUE of the player to +2 n it should clear the 'Green push' problem. Does it make any sense for you guys ???

Man see things as they were n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by dvdguru
Yes, the upgrade cd fixes the y/c chroma problem and the green push problem from what I've read. All I know is the picture looks good lol

From my experience, the only thing the firmware upgrade CD does is make the player's menu navigation SLOW at 1080i. And I should know; I've tried it on two separate players, one with a September build date, the other from November.

The only way I have found to correct the DVI output's green push is to use the HDMI port and an HDMI-to-DVI cable (if your TV has DVI only). Green push is completely eliminated. Again, I found that to be true on both decks that I have tried.

Now, if only Denon can do something about the Squeeze Mode and the macroblocking...
post #543 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by bferr1
From my experience, the only thing the firmware upgrade CD does is make the player's menu navigation SLOW at 1080i. And I should know; I've tried it on two separate players, one with a September build date, the other from November.

The only way I have found to correct the DVI output's green push is to use the HDMI port and an HDMI-to-DVI cable (if your TV has DVI only). Green push is completely eliminated. Again, I found that to be true on both decks that I have tried.

Now, if only Denon can do something about the Squeeze Mode and the macroblocking...

Yes but I didn't I read some where that totally accurate conversionof the video data isn't like 100%. Its very close, but black levels don't quite quite make all the way, you lose some of them or they don't match up quite the same from conversion, and something else I read too is an issue. Has to do with the specs on the 2 ports being different.

Someone with info on this from sources we can read about know?

owner of several Samsung LCD Panels
post #544 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

All I know is that via DVI, I get green push, but via HDMI-to-DVI, I don't. If there is a problem with blacks via HDMI-to-DVI, I haven't seen it yet. Blacks look great thus far, as does color in general. In fact, I'd even say the new Ultimate Matrix box set was TOO black.

I guess the choice of compromised, buggy output options is up to you and your preferences, which is probably why the player has both. It's your choice: green push via DVI or a not "totally accurate conversion of the video data" via HDMI-to-DVI. As I can easily notice one and not the other, then the choice was simple for me.
post #545 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 04:41 PM

Quote:

All I know is that via DVI, I get green push, but via HDMI-to-DVI, I don't. If there is a problem with blacks via HDMI-to-DVI, I haven't seen it yet. Blacks look great thus far, as does color in general. In fact, I'd even say the new Ultimate Matrix box set was TOO black.

I guess the choice of compromised, buggy output options is up to you and your preferences, which is probably why the player has both. It's your choice: green push via DVI or a not "totally accurate conversion of the video data" via HDMI-to-DVI. As I can easily notice one and not the other, then the choice was simple for me.

What was the latest firmware model number you have used?

I heard some folk have problems when using the HDMI to DVI cable on thier set. I know when I had one hooked up last week, the picture kept sticking (it only happened one time) so I just switched back to DVI. I did not even think to check for the Green Push using the HDMI at the time. Wish I did to see if it would have worked for me. I also returned the Sony 975 this morning with the Monster HDMI to DVI cable because I did not see this thread till later this afternoon.

It's wierd cuz I have read that some folks actually had gotten rid of the green push with the newer firmware and the color looked better as well.

Thx,
Claude
post #546 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

What's the best DVE or AVIA test pattern to see this difference?

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #547 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by 95 Silver TA
What was the latest firmware model number you have used?

The latest that ends in 5. I don't know the whole name of it, and I'm at work right now and can't look it up. The latest player I got, the one with the November build, originally had the firmware ending in 4. I updated it to the 5 firmware.

As for DVE or AVIA test patterns, I couldn't say. I trust my own eyes, and could clearly see the green push over DVI, yet couldn't see it over HDMI-to-DVI.

Actually, to be more specific, I set my player to HDMI RGB, as the other setting Y Cr Cb (or whatever its called - again, I'm at work) had an ever so slight green push in the black background when looking at the brightness test in the THX Optimode.
post #548 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting: The only place I have wondered about the green was on the DVE color bars. Both blue and red look spot on (the 2910 [firmware= "-5"] feeding my Sanyo Z2 via DVI at 720p), but the green looks a little off. With program material, however, I haven't noticed anything (and I'm picky). And the AVIA color decoder test looks okay.

Now that I think I've settled on a DVD player, I want to get the setup ISF-ed.... but maybe I should have an HDMI-DVI adapter on hand, just in case....

post #549 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nathan_h
Interesting: The only place I have wondered about the green was on the DVE color bars. Both blue and red look spot on (the 2910 [firmware= "-5"] feeding my Sanyo Z2 via DVI at 720p), but the green looks a little off. With program material, however, I haven't noticed anything (and I'm picky). And the AVIA color decoder test looks okay.

Now that I think I've settled on a DVD player, I want to get the setup ISF-ed.... but maybe I should have an HDMI-DVI adapter on hand, just in case....

Nathan,
Did you notice any change in green at all after you installed the -5 firmware?

What did the Firmware do for you? Why did you get it and did it resolve your issue?

Thanks again guys,
Claude
post #550 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the -5 firmware to fix the green push over DVI. I was also told by Carol at Denon that it would do something to fix the Squeeze mode and chroma spread issues with PAL and HDMI (whatever that means).

I had hoped that the Squeeze Mode fix would have made the player automatically detect 4:3 and 16:9 and adjust accordingly when the mode is enabled. Right now, it either squeezes 16:9 and displays 4:3 properly if it's enabled, or it stretches 4:3 and displays 16:9 properly if it's not enabled.

The firmware fix did nothing for me. The DVI output is still green and Squeeze Mode still doesn't work the way it should. As I wrote earlier, all it did was make menu navigation so slow, you wonder whether you pressed a button on the remote in the first place.

That's some fix!
post #551 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

maybe I should have an HDMI-DVI adapter on hand, just in case....

Tell you what, Nathan, buy an HDMI-DVI adapter. If I'm wrong, return it. You'll lose nothing but your time. (I don't think I'm wrong, though.)

I wonder if anyone else here with a DVI TV has experimented with this green-push workaround...
post #552 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ok, I'm at work so I can't check my dvd player at the moment but I'll ask here so I can check when I get home. Where is the option to switch from 7.5 ire to 0? I saw the normal/enhanced options but didn't see the ire options in the menus. Is this in the pic settings and if so what do they need to be set to for 7.5 vs 0 ire? thanks

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #553 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

It is in Picture Settings. Go all the way over to the right to SET and hit ENTER. You'll see the setting for IRE and for horizontal and vertical position.
You can choose 7.5 or 0 here.
post #554 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Tell you what, Nathan, buy an HDMI-DVI adapter. If I'm wrong, return it. You'll lose nothing but your time. (I don't think I'm wrong, though.)

I wonder if anyone else here with a DVI TV has experimented with this green-push workaround...

I just responded to your other post....Seems you were right. The electronic store is less than 2 miles away from me so I jetted over to it at 9pm, picked up a Monster HDMI to DVI cable and it seemed to fixed the Green Push problem. I will continue to check a few other DVDs and run the THX optimizer to see how well that looks now.

I have heard of a few folks having some MB issues when and some other issues when Using a HDMI to DVI cable. Has anyone here experience any problems with the HDMI/DVI cable with thier 2910, If so what problems did you have?

Bferr1, thanks again...I will keep both cables for a few more day and If I dont seem to have any issues at all with this HDMI/DVI cable then I will return the DVI cable and not bother doing the firmware update as you suggested. Your Help was GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Claude
post #555 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 08:45 PM

just to clear up what you guys have been discussing - if you are connecting your Denon 2910 with an HDMI-DVI-D adapter it does not matter what setting you select in the HDMI/DVI Select option. The player automatically outputs all signals DIGITAL RGB. Check out page 17 of the owner's manual under the heading NOTE:

hope this clears things up a bit..
talk to you guys again soon.
Carmine
post #556 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

OK you guys I got my Sammy 5674 and Denon 2910 two days ago. The STB broadcast HD is awesome ( comcast no less). Watched Day After Tomorrow and noticed the green push which I presume means that not all is green, for example whites are white, but yellows and things that intended to be green are too green and so are some of the faces in close-up. I have my DVD hooked via HDMI-HDMI. This is actually a loaner DVD player until my silver 2910 arrives and I dont know what version of firmware it is running. So am I wrong to assume based upon reading this thread that I should NOT be getting the green push via HSMI??

advice so that I have do the right thing when my silver 2910 arrives??

And will Avia solve this? I am waiting for the ~ 100 burn in time before doing the AVIA or considering a real ISF calibration.

M
post #557 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Claude, no problem. Glad I could help. And, actually, I did the firmware upgrade anyway just to play it safe. Who knows, maybe it did fix the chroma spread issue, but that's something that I have yet to notice.

Carmine, I agree that it makes no difference which HDMI setting is selected. I've only noticed an ever so slight greenish look to the THX brightness pattern while using Y Cb Cr, but not during any actual movies. There is no slightly greenish look to the test pattern when using the RGB mode. But, just to be on the safe side, I set my player to RGB just the same.
post #558 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 09:25 PM

hey man i would do the same as you if i noticed any problems with my Denon. anything that works for you....Happy Holidays to you & enjoy that Denon!!!!
post #559 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, and happy holidays to you!
post #560 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by 95 Silver TA
Nathan,
Did you notice any change in green at all after you installed the -5 firmware?

What did the Firmware do for you? Why did you get it and did it resolve your issue?

Thanks again guys,
Claude

Didn't notice a big problem before the new firmware and didn't notice a change afterwards, though I must admit that most of my watching before putting in the official US Denon firmware was with the region-free version from Europe -- which may have incorporated all the changes in the US version, already.

I mostly got the firmware so that I would have something to fall back on, if the region-free one turned out to be unstable. But I'll settle on whichever one looks best -- and whatever cabling looks best -- at some point, I'd guess. For now, maybe I'll spend the $30 + shipping on a basic adapter (from Gefen: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_adapt.html).

post #561 of 2970 Old 12-11-2004, 11:39 PM

Quote:

Claude, no problem. Glad I could help. And, actually, I did the firmware upgrade anyway just to play it safe. Who knows, maybe it did fix the chroma spread issue, but that's something that I have yet to notice.

Carmine, I agree that it makes no difference which HDMI setting is selected. I've only noticed an ever so slight greenish look to the THX brightness pattern while using Y Cb Cr, but not during any actual movies. There is no slightly greenish look to the test pattern when using the RGB mode. But, just to be on the safe side, I set my player to RGB just the same.

Bferr1,
At first it seemed that the green push was gone but upon further testing with the HDMI/DVI cable. I noticed the green push was gone because the HDMI/DVI cable developed a bit of a black crush which darkened the picture. Yes the green push was gone but at the cost of a much darker picture. I also popped in the thx optimizer just to make sure and with the settings exactly the same, THRU DVI/DVI I could see the THX logo and the drop shadow (with Enhance black on and 7.5 on) for my TV that seems to work best. I would normally see the THX and the drop shadow and see 9 differnt shades of black and barely see the last. Anyways when I hooked up the HDMI/DVI, not only was the drop shadow gone but the THX logo was almost completely gone as well and I can only see 6 black bars. Also after about 1 hour of testing it, I was noticing some slight Macroblocking with the HDMI/DVI cable. When I finally adjusted the brightness so it looks like it did (brigthness wise) the same as my DVI hookup.....Guess what, the green push came back via HDMI/DVI. I believe the green push is cause by the hue as well as the brightness setting and probably something else. Needless to say, I switched back and for from DVI to HDMI/DVI and finally stayed with DVI because I noticed no MB with DVI. When I was back to DVI, I turned down the brightness a little more and adjusted the hue to +2 and the green push is still there but now its slightly less with the brightness down a little more. With the DVI cable, I get to MB as stated and I can still see the THX logo and barely see the drop shadow. As well as the picture does not look as dark as it did on the movies I was testing it on. I am gonna keep both cables for a few days till the firmware gets here and report the results of the firmware for DVI and HDMI and the worse one goes back to the store or Worse, the Denon goes back to the store.

You may want to test your Player out again via a Thx optimizer or somethign better just to make sure your player is not just 'hiding the green push problem by just giving you a dark picture. But then again, mabee the firmware helped fixed your problem so you dont get a dark picture to HDMI/DVI nor any Macroblocking.

Thanks for trying to help, it was and is still appreciated......

I will let you guys know my results when I get the firmware disk.
If this does not work. I may just down grade to a progressive scan DVD player or possible upgrade to the Pioneer.
We'll see.

Claude
post #562 of 2970 Old 12-12-2004, 08:40 AM

Everybody talks about the video side of the 2910.I'm more interested in the Audio side.I am currently running a Sony 999ES & like the SACD.What my question is is does it sound comparable to the 999 on the SACD side or does it do it injustice like the 47ai.
post #563 of 2970 Old 12-12-2004, 11:04 AM

Has anyone experienced pixel cropping, even with the latest firmware applied, on the 2910?? I have it hooked up to a DILA (JVC HX1) projector and notice that a few pixels on the left side of the screen are cropped. Thanks.
post #564 of 2970 Old 12-12-2004, 01:11 PM

I received the CD with the new firmware from Denon the other day, and I'm interested in the possibility of editing it to see if I can make it region-free, assuming that doesn't require actual writing of code or knowledge of the language in which the firmare is written. Is there a software tool easily available out there that would allow me to take a shot at it? Or is it sufficiently proprietarty that leaks from inside Denon are our only hope for newer region-free versions?
post #565 of 2970 Old 12-12-2004, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

You mean the one from Sept posted above is not new enough?

post #566 of 2970 Old 12-12-2004, 02:56 PM

Many people posting about the green push say that the newest firmware changes the player's colors significantly (in a good way), and the region-free firmware seems to be based on an older version (version 4 versus the new version 5 that Denon is sending out).
post #567 of 2970 Old 12-12-2004, 03:04 PM

I'm glad I'm color blind !!! no green push problems for me !!!!!

"A good film is when the price of the dinner, the theatre admission and the babysitter were worth it."
post #568 of 2970 Old 12-12-2004, 03:08 PM

Quote:

interesting....

this makes sense, but begs the question about why my $150 Pioneer doesn't have troubles like this... :-)

Because they are being disguised by more significant problems..

"A good film is when the price of the dinner, the theatre admission and the babysitter were worth it."
post #569 of 2970 Old 12-12-2004, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Steve, how exactly did you do an overscan adjustment through the Denon? Is there a service menu of some kind for the Denon player? Also, I have a KP-51WS510, very similar to your 57-inch. Any suggestions on service menu tweaks I should look at, like the UBLK setting?
Thanks!

Ohh, the list could go on and on!!! But hey, what do you think about the PQ this combination produces, I love it !!!!
As for tweaks, I'm going to have to get back to you on that, I have all of my adjustments written up at home and I'm currently on duty (At Work) Are you currently having any problems with PQ, how long have you had your WS510? If over a year have you cleaned your lenses recently, tried the manual static focus as compared to flash focus?

post #570 of 2970 Old 12-12-2004, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by andrewjnyc
Many people posting about the green push say that the newest firmware changes the player's colors significantly (in a good way), and the region-free firmware seems to be based on an older version (version 4 versus the new version 5 that Denon is sending out).

Good point. Although some reports indicate that the green push is still present with the vers 5 firmware. I don't know whether I have green push per se but I do know that with the vers 5 firmware the DVE color pattern still shows Red is okay, Blue is okay, and Green is off -- same as the region-free version 4, for me.

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page