The "Official" Denon DVD-2910 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2969 Old 10-21-2004, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The jitter on my 2910 happens for a brief second only, like a blip, once or twice on a regular 2 hour DVD. It does not freeze up. I'm using DVI with a Toshiba 51HX83 and a Monster DVI cable. If that's the only flaw, I'll live with it because of the incredible PQ. But I'm concerned it may be a signs of a bigger problem. Any thoughts on this? Minor flaw or major design problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 01:04 AM

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie at all this but i got a guestion here if anyone kind enough to direct me. same as Smitchell i got a sony HS-20 projector and AVR-3805 i've been reading some review on the DVD-2910 i really like it but i was wondering if the sony HDMI is a better value since it's only half the price and i'm not really concerning about DVD-A. any comment is much appreciated!!!!
post #93 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 01:05 AM

sorry i meant the sony HDMI dvd player DVP-NS975v
post #94 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 04:15 AM

This may seem like a naive question - but maybe someone can straighten me out on this. I have a JVC D-Ila, a Denon 2105 AVR, and am considering buying the 2910 (FYI - I had to return my first 2105 because it kept turning itself off). If I use the HDMI out from the DVD player to the HDMI in of the TV, do I use optical audio into the AVR for surround? Since this is the only way I can figure out how to get surround, what's the point of having these HDMI inputs in a TV? And please let me know if I'm wrong about the surround input. Thanks
post #95 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 05:26 AM

Good Day To All,
I'm mostly a lurker here due to the fact I feel like I'm cheating on HTF every time I come over and take a peek
First I'd like to say I'm disappointed that others around the Home Theater arena are pointing to this thread as well as others and using it as a reference to inform others of all the difficulties/problems/glitches with Denon's new 2910.
Personally, I've had the player for 2 weeks now and have as of yet to experience one hiccup ( knock on wood ).
While my last player (Zenith DVB-318) served me well for the last couple of months and provided me with outstanding PQ, I felt the need to upgrade to a universal player that offered SACD/DVD-A capability and still provided me with the 1080i picture I've come to know and love.
Of course before posting about any potential problems I might encounter I ran through the the normal protocol of resetting all of my previous tweaks made to my display "Sony KP-57WS510" that I annotated for my DVI-input(video-7). This is crucial if your going to be using another a/v source. While all the previous service menu adjustments were suited for the signal input by the Zenith, I was switching input devices so in turn I reset all specs back to factory default settings (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SVM) before starting in on the 2910 via the service menu and calibrating with DVE.
Initially I just let it blue screen for a short period of time on the default Denon start-up screen before manually adjusting convergence. Then ran it through the "Basic Calibration" setup. Adjusted overscan (5%-H)(-5%-V) which I actually made through the Denon as compared to the Service menu which I found to be very convenient for a change
After doing so I then went through the service menu and tested out the other settings I had implemented for use with the DVB-318 and found that most adjustments did not produce the PQ as they did before, and I indeed needed to do less for an overall better picture, which is nice, and tells me that the Denon indeed produces a very nice "Out of the Box" PQ. I also found that using the Denon's "Black Enhancer" works rather well in conjunction with the service menu's UBLK settings, tweaked just right (UBLK-3 for me) blacks are indeed black without being overbearing. Other than that, setup was pretty basic after going through the owners manual and setup guide .
I heard a reference to screen flicker, is the screen jumping/moving while paused or are you seeing a change is brightness in areas of the screen. The most common causes of bright level flux is power related. I found this out after 2 months of playing in service menu settings, surge protectors etc... After getting my new A/V stand I went through and separated/isolated all power cables from a/v cables and sure enough after two months of living hell I fired it up and "Poof!!" problem solved. It still puts a smile on my face to this day kind of funny how something so basic that I had overlooked caused me two months of heartache and head scratching, frickin amazing !!!

"A good film is when the price of the dinner, the theatre admission and the babysitter were worth it."
post #96 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone tested the firmware located at:
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...php?t=29755603 ?
post #97 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by arioch

Is that 2910 multi region?
post #98 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

Originally posted by ZZtop
I don't think the 2910 does 480i through component, though SVHS is pretty much the same thing.

Yes, the 2910 does 480i and 480p via component. In fact, the 2910 will ONLY do 480i via component if you have the 2910 set to any other setting than HDMI/DVI OFF.

I have my 2910 feeding my HT1000 both a 480i component and 720p DVI signals, so when necessary, I can use a combination of 2910 and HT1000 image controls only available via the component output.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #99 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[b]Part of the problem I having in finding a replacement is the V1 besides having virutally zero EE and no macroblocking is the ability to go in and set both the display's frequency and map pixel per pixel your displays EXACT resolution in the D1's second custom menu for display properties/mapping. Its like getting features of a really expensive scaler in some ways. You are able to map your D1 or D2 to match your displays resolution and frequency, that makes one hell of a difference when you view the dvd's. It keeps additional conversions and therefore data loss taking place as the image goes though into the display.

I would love to hear how you think the 2910 DVI output compares to the D1 signal being 1:1 pixel mapped to the display resolution.

post #100 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have some questions for you guys. I was looking at the 2910 just to upgrade from my current 4yr old player (it was like one of the first players with progressive scan). I'm almost ready to buy it, but i need some answers first:

1.) I only have a RPTV with component inputs and don't care about DVI and HDMI video upconversion (although it's good for the future). Will the Denon's progressive output be a noticeable improvement over my 4yr Mitsubishi player with like a 10bit/54mhz video DAC?

2.) I have read that the audio on this (and all denon players) is exceptional! I heard that the CD playback is so good, that it renders DVD-A and SACD almost unnecessary. Will I be able to hear this using digital outputs to my receiver? I know that generally speaking, it's the receiver's DAC that will be used. However, this guy on epinons.com said that the movie audio coming from this player was noticeably better than other players, even though he was using a digital output and he couldn't understand it. Maybe I'm missing something. Can the player enhance the digital output somehow??

3.) Will the (assumed) enhanced picture quality, audio quality, and high res audio capabilities (which I don't care too much about) be worth the investment now with HD-DVD coming in the near future? I figure HD-DVD and/or Blu Ray hardware AND software won't be readily available at reasonable prices until at least mid 2006. That's about two years.

Thanks
post #101 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Bytehoven
I would love to hear how you think the 2910 DVI output compares to the D1 signal being 1:1 pixel mapped to the display resolution.

I am too, for the moment I don't have access to the plasma so I can't test it yet, its going to be a week or so.

owner of several Samsung LCD Panels
post #102 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Bytehoven
Yes, the 2910 does 480i and 480p via component. In fact, the 2910 will ONLY do 480i via component if you have the 2910 set to any other setting than HDMI/DVI OFF.

I have my 2910 feeding my HT1000 both a 480i component and 720p DVI signals, so when necessary, I can use a combination of 2910 and HT1000 image controls only available via the component output.

Then my Sony XBR has a bug, it won't accpet 480i via component. It was the top of the line Sony Tube , but from about 8 years ago or so. Odd that it would not work, its got component inputs. My dealer said one model run had frequency issues. I guess this must be the one, its my spare set, but an extremely high quality tube, this is a shame. I need to check on this further, maybe by swapping out another dvd player on the component inputs with 480i source.

post #103 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then my Sony XBR has a bug, it won't accpet 480i via component. It was the top of the line Sony Tube , but from about 8 years ago or so. Odd that it would not work, its got component inputs. My dealer said one model run had frequency issues. I guess this must be the one, its my spare set, but an extremely high quality tube, this is a shame. I need to check on this further, maybe by swapping out another dvd player on the component inputs with 480i source.

Maybe there is something odd about the way the 2910 does 480i. I say this because, when I was checking the INFO menu on the HT1000 as I looked at each signal setup, it did not read 480i. Instead it reads as:

YCbCr60
Component
Hor Frq 15.75 MHZ
Ver Freq 59.94 Mhz

I will try the 2910 with my Beta SP video deck, to see if the VTR sees the 2910 480i component signal.

post #104 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

idealty, I can't comment on the component video quality as I am hooked up via DVI. It does have dual 12-bit, 216-MHz Video D/A Converters so I would think you will see an improved picture plus it has the ability to adjust picture quality in many different parameters.

I haven't played a regular CD yet but the audio quality with DVD-A/SACD is very good; in fact after doing some critical listening I decided not to order the 3910 for comparison. I am very satisfied with audio quality and can't justify spending another $600 at this point. If the 3910 is indeed $600 better soundwise, then ignorance is bliss for me!

As far as the player enhancing the digital output, some will argue it can't happen but some say they can hear a difference. If you purchase one from Tweeter or Crutchfield you can test drive it and see for yourself for 30 days.
post #105 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 10:12 AM

I'm currious how this player would compare to my HTPC? I've been wanting a dvd player that will output over DVI to my Projector and have only tested the HD931 so far. I was not impressed with it and returned it. So for now I use my computer to handle dvd duty, but it is a hassel to bring in my PC every time I watch a movie. So I'm really wondering how the picture and audio quality will compare to my PC. Any experiences out there?
post #106 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by arioch

Just burnt it and updated my 2910 with it. Woooo hoooo! Its region free. Though I have no idea what this firmware is or the version. Hopefully its a modded version of the current firmware. That French page translates like this:

I make small a récap on the dézonnage of these machines: For dézonner, it is enough to: 1 to download the firmware corresponding to its reader, 2 the dézipper 3 to engrave it with Nero (without particular adjustment) 4 to insert CD engraved in reader 5 to let the reader rewrite the firmware (writing) 6 to await jusqu'Ã* automatic l'ouverture of drawer 7 to extinguish the reader (not with the button stand by, l'éteindre completely) 8 to relight it... it is from now on multizone, RCE included/understood. This manipulation went for my 2910. However, one finds a manipulation more complete. Jusqu'Ã* 7 nothing changes. But from the 8 that changes: 8 to relight the reader and to close the drawer. 9 to support and maintain to support the button Play, and Forward Skip and Open during more than 3 seconds jusqu'Ã* what "Initialized" s'affiche.

Since this seems work it should probably have its own thread so its not lost in here probably.

Anyone have any idea of how to check what version the firmware is?

post #107 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 06:11 PM

YEAH!!! finally got our silver Denon DVD 2910!!! Just watched Star Wars A new Hope and it was sooooo sharp. There was no graininess to the picture at all. We have a Mitsu 52725 DLP TV, Denon AVR 3805, Polk Rti tower speakers, and everything hooked up with Monster cables that have silver conductors. However, I noticed there seemed to be a bit too much green on some of the dark scenes. And on other scenes with tie fighters flying around, there seemed to be a green box around each one as they flew across the screen. You can also hear the difference between how different voice tracks are recorded, like some sounded muffled, some sounded like it had too much hiss, others sent to much bass to the center channel and made it distort... and this is all in the same scene with different charcters talking. We have a monster HDMI going to the TV and a Monster Digital coax from the DVD player to the reciever.

For those with a similar setup, what settings do you have your TV on and what settings do you have the DVD player on. We don't have an Avia disc to calibrate yet so can anyone share their settings?
post #108 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Just finished an intense audio session with some SACD discs I have. The sound this thing puts out continues to amaze me! Happy camper here. The vocals are just incredible. Soundstage and clarity is phenominal. You can distinguish each instrument with no stress whatsoever.

Two thumbs up!
post #109 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 07:10 PM

Quote:
We don't have an Avia disc to calibrate yet so can anyone share their settings?

I'm sorry, I don't have settings to share. Someone else?

But I just had to say that I'm amazed at how many people will spend so (too) much money for those Monster cables, and not pick up an Avia or DVE disk for about $30! Trust me, it'll help much more than those cables. And BTW, there is no such thing as a "digital" coax. I agree, it's better to buy good cables, but this hype about "designed for digital signals" and such is a lot of crap IMO. It's really just another 75 ohm cable.

Whew! I feel better now... thanks.

Enjoy the new 2910. Should get mine on Tuesday!

Jeff
post #110 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
tossing around the idea of upgrading to a upconvert DVD player. Anybody using the 2910 with the Sanyo Z2 projector?

I've recently purchased the new Denon AVR 2805 receiver along with a full Axiom speaker setup which ROCKS....I would love to add the 2910 into the equation using DVI to my Z2 if I get some good feedback....

Thanks in advance...

My Website
post #111 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 11:14 PM

Hey ya sir Quack

I don't know just sayin hi hehehe.
post #112 of 2969 Old 10-22-2004, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffZX9R
I'm sorry, I don't have settings to share. Someone else?

But I just had to say that I'm amazed at how many people will spend so (too) much money for those Monster cables, and not pick up an Avia or DVE disk for about $30! Trust me, it'll help much more than those cables. And BTW, there is no such thing as a "digital" coax. I agree, it's better to buy good cables, but this hype about "designed for digital signals" and such is a lot of crap IMO. It's really just another 75 ohm cable.

Whew! I feel better now... thanks.

Enjoy the new 2910. Should get mine on Tuesday!

Jeff

I agree, same rubbish about optical cables. Its light transmitting 0's and 1's. What utter nonsense and outrageous markup.

post #113 of 2969 Old 10-23-2004, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wildpanda86
YEAH!!! finally got our silver Denon DVD 2910!!! Just watched Star Wars A new Hope and it was sooooo sharp. There was no graininess to the picture at all. We have a Mitsu 52725 DLP TV, Denon AVR 3805, Polk Rti tower speakers, and everything hooked up with Monster cables that have silver conductors. However, I noticed there seemed to be a bit too much green on some of the dark scenes. And on other scenes with tie fighters flying around, there seemed to be a green box around each one as they flew across the screen. You can also hear the difference between how different voice tracks are recorded, like some sounded muffled, some sounded like it had too much hiss, others sent to much bass to the center channel and made it distort... and this is all in the same scene with different charcters talking. We have a monster HDMI going to the TV and a Monster Digital coax from the DVD player to the reciever.

For those with a similar setup, what settings do you have your TV on and what settings do you have the DVD player on. We don't have an Avia disc to calibrate yet so can anyone share their settings?

Although "A New Hope" was beautifully restored I wouldn't suggest using it as a measuring stick for your player. A movie that's been remastered (even if it is THX certified) is not going to produce the same A/V quality as say, "Star Wars AOTC" which is shot in High Def and uses Lucas's cutting edge technology for video and audio quality. If your going to use something as a benchmark I would suggest some commonly used setup disks DVE, AVIA which you might be able to rent from a local video store, possibly??..
But like you said you don't currently have one; so if yo don't own it already and you think you might have a little "green push", I would suggest renting or buying "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" If you have a green push problem it will be more than noticeable on this DVD. Personally, I think this DVD is in the top 3 DVD's for all around PQ, if not #1 period (Shot in High Def as well) and just provides outstanding eye candy period. I would also suggest you do a web search for green push and your display type, that is if you really have the problem. There might be a service menu adjustment to decrease it with one click of a button, or you could head down to Radio Shack for an attenuator to see if that helps. But, it's just my opinion and that of many others, that getting AVIA or DVE is a must before pursuing anything in the service menu of any display.

Ciao,
Steve

"A good film is when the price of the dinner, the theatre admission and the babysitter were worth it."
post #114 of 2969 Old 10-23-2004, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wildpanda86

Check out the Mits thread for TV settings - search on "umr" in the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=418307
post #115 of 2969 Old 10-23-2004, 08:33 AM

Nice Link!

post #116 of 2969 Old 10-23-2004, 08:33 AM

For those interested in the Region Free Firmware upgrade go here for a quick how to guide ----> http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=214907

Please keep all involved updated on anything you experience. Thanks!!

Regards,
Steve

post #117 of 2969 Old 10-23-2004, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I agree, same rubbish about optical cables. Its light transmitting 0's and 1's. What utter nonsense and outrageous markup.

Yeah, and what's the deal with gold plated connectors on OPTICAL cables? "Huh... that looks more expensive. It's all gold and shinny." There's no (electrical) conduction thru optical cables. If fact, this isolation is the primary reason optical cables are used in many applications instead of standard wire.

OK.. my work here is done now.

Jeff
post #118 of 2969 Old 10-23-2004, 10:17 AM

I am desperate to buy a silver 2910, but it doesn't seem like they've made it to the East Coast at all--I've called every Denon authorized dealer in NYC, and they either haven't received it yet or claim it isn't out anywhere at all, which is of course BS. I'd buy from Crutchfield, but their estimated in-stock date of 11/30 is painfully far away. Has anyone here actually purchased one on the East Coast? Any tips on where to look in the NYC area? Thanks in advance...
post #119 of 2969 Old 10-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

I've seen a few posts here from people with the Mits DLP RPTV (xx525, xx725) and the 2910. I currently have the Mits DLP and I'm planning on getting the Denon 2910 soon; but not for its HDMI upconversion capability.

On Mits DLP RPTVs, the HDMI input is converted to analog internally, before being routed to the final A/D converter for the 720p light engine. So at least on the Mits DLPs, contrary to what you might think, using the HDMI path will not result in a completely digital path from DVD to display.

In my opinion, the bottom line is this: You will go through two converters no matter whether you use component or HDMI. From that, I conclude this basically revolves around two fundamental questions...

1) Does HDMI upconversion in the 2910 provide picture improvement on the Mits DLP?
Probably not due to losses in the Mits D/A, A/D converters.
2) Which D/A converter is superior - the Denon or the Mits?
Safe assumption is the Denon is superior.

So I plan to use analog component connections between the two. Seems a shame to spend all that money on a superior 216mhz D/A video converter in the 2910 only to bypass them completely by using the HDMI output. I don't believe the HDMI upconversion will provide any benefit when used with the Mits DLPs because the two stages of D/A, A/D will trump whatever improvement the Denon digital scaler might have given. This might not be the case on other televisions that can take the HDMI input and display it natively without conversion. So YMMV depending on your display.

That's my take. Can't do any actual 1:1 comparisons because I don't have the 2910 yet.
post #120 of 2969 Old 10-23-2004, 01:00 PM

I would have gone to Magnolia Audio Video for our cables since they carry better cables than Monster, However the higher line Monster cables seem to be pretty comparable to the lower line carried at Magnolia at the same price. As well as other online cables. Looking at different reviews and such, what is came down to was wether or not the cables had silver as a conductor. The model line Monsters that we got have silver as a conductor... additionally we wanted to get everything at once in one place.

BTW, I figured out the weird green push problem. I don't think it is the color settings at all. We switched the DVD player back to 420P and still left it connected via HDMI, and the green all went away. I noticed on the THX setup menu... looking at the aspect ratio boxes, there would be all these green dots if the DVD player was set to 720p and even more pronounced at 1080i... and then it all went away at 420p. Additionally the 420P setting seemed to have better color and better picture than the other settings... especially with darker seens. This is all going through HDMI. Gonna have to try going through components to see if there is any sort of difference.

However I did try 720p with the latest James Bond DVD and I did not notice any of what I am noticing with Star Wars.

ALso I just watched Empire Strikes Back in 420P and it was just as sharp in 720p with out the green dots/ blotches and green push in dark seens, however the sound was much more balanced and cleaner and it did not over emphasize the center channel.

The reason we don't have Avia is because Good Guys does not have it, will have to try Best Buy.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page