post #2671 of 2969 Old 03-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

If you press the DISPLAY button on the remote (circular button to top-right of center arrow keys), you can cycle through the OSD and readout display for played/remaining and total played/remaining. Press DISPLAY a fifth time, and the OSD will tell you what bit rate/depth you're getting. I just tested this out because of your posts. I had 88/24 on Beck - Seachange (great album!), and 96/24 on Blue Man Group.

The product sheet on the 2910 says it does 192/24 D/A decoding.

Yes of course. Anything that has the DVD Audio logo handles all DVD-A formats, including 192KHz/24-bit advanced resolution stereo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2969 Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your response, cyberbri. I can't get the 5th display screen to appear on the dvd display, which is the only place I can see anything when I'm playing the pcm tracks. I can see the other 4 display modes with their different times/time remaining, but when I hit the 5th, I'm not seeing anything change. Though it looks like I'd see the 5th display mode if the tv screen was receiving a signal. Are you somehow able to play the pcm formats when Video Mode is enabled? I can't seem to do that. I only see the DD and DTS formats displayed in that mode. Or are you seeing the format information on the player's digital display? If so, I don't know how to make that happen either. Frustrating.
post #2673 of 2969 Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 PM

I've fixed the display issue. It was the firmware. I had ESS 6720-4. Upgraded to their site's ESS 6720-A. Now when I play in Audio Mode, I see the tv display and the PCM formats. Everything's as it should be.
post #2674 of 2969 Old 03-07-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evalese View Post

I've fixed the display issue. It was the firmware. I had ESS 6720-4. Upgraded to their site's ESS 6720-A. Now when I play in Audio Mode, I see the tv display and the PCM formats. Everything's as it should be.

Did you get that firmware update from Denon's site after using your player's serial number? If it gave you that firmware that will lend credence to the theory that firmwares are meant for certain build dates....
post #2675 of 2969 Old 03-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Schatz View Post

Did you get that firmware update from Denon's site after using your player's serial number? If it gave you that firmware that will lend credence to the theory that firmwares are meant for certain build dates....

It is quite common for hardware builds to change during a model's manufacturing cycle and for firmware builds to change with it. And as its been speculated here, applying a newer rev to an "older" unit may do nothing at all or worse, do harm.
post #2676 of 2969 Old 03-08-2007, 12:32 PM

Liked: 12
I'm currious as well. Perhaps when people get a firmware from the Denon website, they can include what their build month/year is from the back of the receiver.

I have Build April 2005 (HDMI 1.1)
Firmware ESS 6720-9

When I log in it says that there are no firmware updates at this time.

So that leave me with 'what do ESS 6720-A, B, C, D do?'. there is a description for the A version with the upgrade instructions.

Another member here did ask what the revisions did and received this reply:

"I don't recall exactly without researching it. Some relatively minor changes overall under some special conditions that were reported."

I guess I'll (drum-roll....) ASK Denon directly Will let everyone know what I find out.

SACD library.
post #2677 of 2969 Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggers View Post

I'm currious as well. Perhaps when people get a firmware from the Denon website, they can include what their build month/year is from the back of the receiver.

It's done by serial number.

Quote:

When I log in it says that there are no firmware updates at this time.

Then there are none for you.

Quote:

So that leave me with 'what do ESS 6720-A, B, C, D do?'. there is a description for the A version with the upgrade instructions.

Stop tormenting yourself.
post #2678 of 2969 Old 03-08-2007, 12:58 PM

When I gave the website my serial number, is said no updates were available. I gave the same serial number to the CSR I spoke with via email and was given the -D f/w. Either the website or the CSR was applying the wrong logic to the situation.

No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!
post #2679 of 2969 Old 03-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnjvh View Post

When I gave the website my serial number, is said no updates were available. I gave the same serial number to the CSR I spoke with via email and was given the -D f/w. Either the website or the CSR was applying the wrong logic to the situation.

Have you applied it yet? And if so, do you notice any changes?
post #2680 of 2969 Old 03-08-2007, 01:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnjvh View Post

That's what I thought I read in a (much earlier) post.

Pepar has some valid points to be concerned about regarding matching firmware/hardware builds. The slight chance it isn't the best thing to do (and time) is the only reason I haven't tried yet. But I also know 'don't believe everything you see/read on the internet when people are still pushing the buttons' (referring to the Denon website that is).

I don't know/think anyone has asked that pointed question about the relationship between serial number/firmware of Denon (I just did, will let you know the response). It could be that the engineers were able to perform a few tweaks for some rare circumstances AFTER the web-support division stopped the administrative task of updates for the 2910. Worst failures of communication witin a company have happened before. It could be that A/B/C ARE hardware specific, but D is universal. And no one bothered/had time to update the website. I'll give myself a couple more days of torment before giving up

SACD library.
post #2681 of 2969 Old 03-08-2007, 02:00 PM

Yes, I loaded it and it is no better or worse than -B to my eye - I haven't run any calibration software with it. There are no new menu items that I have found.

My feeling is it it fixes specific issues like "it won't play this disk" or "it won't link with this HDMI monitor". I'm guessing there's not global features or pic quality changes.

No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!
post #2682 of 2969 Old 03-08-2007, 05:19 PM

The 6720-A firmware I loaded was from their website using my serial #. My player is a 955S manufactured Sept. 2004. I thought it also fixed a horrible skipping problem I was having with the NIN Downward Spiral SACD on tracks 9 thru 11, but it showed up on track 14 again. I'm wondering if it's a condition that's caused after the disk has been playing for awhile. After it starts, it doesn't stop and it gets more frequent as the disk plays. Anyone else have this problem? I haven't had this happen on anything else.
post #2683 of 2969 Old 03-14-2007, 05:32 PM

I tried to serial number search on their website and it said no firmware updates available. I called a customer representative and he said that is not always accurate. He searched and found an update and e-mailed it to me. It was the 6720-D version. It was to correct the magenta color coming through the HDMI connection. Bill
post #2684 of 2969 Old 03-25-2007, 01:02 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone else had problems with the special features James Bond dvd's? All my disks come up with a chinese menu.
post #2685 of 2969 Old 03-25-2007, 02:04 PM

Edmundo, probably a problem with the language settings of the player. mildbill, thanks for the info.
post #2686 of 2969 Old 03-25-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
post #2687 of 2969 Old 03-25-2007, 04:15 PM

Already checked the language options, nothing there. I bought them at Costco 8)
post #2688 of 2969 Old 03-25-2007, 04:29 PM

I've read of this problem on the hometheaterforum.com. Pull up the Bond thread and do a search on Denon players. A lot of people are reporting problems.
post #2689 of 2969 Old 03-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Speaking of disc problems, has anyone played Hellboy: Sword of Storms? It features a "follow the white rabbit" type of icon that you can select during the movie for behind the scenes features. The problem is, the icon, in this case a fox, is always displayed on screen despite the setting. That is, if you turn the feature "off", you see the icon but you cannot select it. If you turn the feature "on", you can select the icon.

Thoughts?
post #2690 of 2969 Old 04-03-2007, 08:07 PM

Quick question. I'm sure its been addressed before but I cant find it. Has anyone experienced a difficulty in the DVD 2910 processing black images during playback. Although the picture quality is great, black seems to wash out in stages like a shadow. My TV is a HD Mits w/ playback in 1080p DLP. Is there an adjustment that fixes this problem or is there something else I need to look into. Thank you !
post #2691 of 2969 Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgus View Post

Quick question. I'm sure its been addressed before but I cant find it. Has anyone experienced a difficulty in the DVD 2910 processing black images during playback. Although the picture quality is great, back seems to wash out in stages like a shadow. My TV is a HD Mits w/ playback in 1080p DLP. Is there an adjustment that fixes this problem or is there something else I need to look into. Thank you !

Sorry , I don't have an answer but would like to second the question.
On certain DVDs I have noticed black scenes have a green and/or purple look to them. Kind of like MB in a way. Hard to describe.
Wonder if it's my display
post #2692 of 2969 Old 04-03-2007, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

post #2693 of 2969 Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's most likely the display. Have either of you had your display calibrated?

I've tried tweaking it myself using DVE with so so results.

The TV is headed into the shop soon (for another reason).
I'll have them look into it.
post #2694 of 2969 Old 04-03-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

It may have to be done in the service menu (usually done by a pro), unless there is something wrong with the set.
post #2695 of 2969 Old 04-04-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:

It's most likely the display. Have either of you had your display calibrated?

I've tried tinkering w/ every setting I can think of. The TV doesn't have a problem processing Black in HD or SD in movies from the satellite signal. I suspect its a setting on the DVD player I am missing perhaps. I have not experimented w/ the connections yet. I currently use HDMI & fiber optic connection.
post #2696 of 2969 Old 04-12-2007, 06:24 PM

I used the remote sequence to make my Denon region free. I also upgraded the firmware to -D and my dvd is still region free. The only problem is that I can't check the firmware version. I've tried multiple times with no luck.

Any thoughts?
post #2697 of 2969 Old 04-28-2007, 11:12 AM

I give up. Can anyone tell me how to get the 2910 to play an SACD. I can play everything but. I get no sound at all. Thank you !!
post #2698 of 2969 Old 04-28-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I give up. Can anyone tell me how to get the 2910 to play an SACD. I can play everything but. I get no sound at all. Thank you !!

Do you have the player hooked up via the analogue inputs? Are you setting your receiver to the analogue inputs? Are you using HDMI? SACD does not pass over HDMI under versions less than 1.3.
post #2699 of 2969 Old 04-28-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Make sure you've connected the analog outputs (6 RCA jacks) on the 2910 to the corresponding inputs on your preamp. Make sure your preamp is set to use the direct analog inputs instead of optical or coaxial digital outputs.

Jeff Kirk, CGFE*

(* Certified Gadget Freak Extraordinaire)
post #2700 of 2969 Old 04-28-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJeff View Post

Make sure you've connected the analog outputs (6 RCA jacks) on the 2910 to the corresponding inputs on your preamp. Make sure your preamp is set to use the direct analog inputs instead of optical or coaxial digital outputs.

You guys answered my question. Thank you !!! Denon really needs to work on their instruction manuals. Thank goodness for forums like this and people willing to help others. Thanks again !!!
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page