Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2761 of 2970 Old 08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a similar problem, but with an HDMI-switch box.
If I run DVI-D->HDMI from the player, then there's no problem, but HDMI locks up the switch in a similar manner.
Seems like this player has some issues with switching units..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2970 Old 09-05-2007, 03:50 AM

Hi all,
I have the same problem after I upgraded the firmware to 6720-D. I had 6720-4 and was working fine, but now the image via HDMI is "flapping" without audio.
DVI is working fine.
It happens both on my Bravia LCD and trough a DVDO VP-50.
Could someone give any help?
I'm trying to find the 6720-4 to roll back without success, there are someone can help me?
Many thanks in advance for your help.
post #2763 of 2970 Old 09-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk11 View Post

Hi all,
I have the same problem after I upgraded the firmware to 6720-D. I had 6720-4 and was working fine, but now the image via HDMI is "flapping" without audio.
DVI is working fine.
It happens both on my Bravia LCD and trough a DVDO VP-50.
Could someone give any help?
I'm trying to find the 6720-4 to roll back without success, there are someone can help me?
Many thanks in advance for your help.

I would suggest re-initializing. Or, if you're confident in the firmware you burnt onto CD, re-flashing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- it's never done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2764 of 2970 Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I would suggest re-initializing. Or, if you're confident in the firmware you burnt onto CD, re-flashing.

I'm confident to flashing and I already initialize the player.
But I still need the old firmware image to burn it.
Thanks again
post #2765 of 2970 Old 09-05-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I was under the impression that you cannot roll back to previous versions with these units.
post #2766 of 2970 Old 09-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I'm confident to flashing and I already initialize the player.
But I still need the old firmware image to burn it.
Thanks again

Do you think your problem is because of the 6720-D firmware? I don't recall others with this problem.

- it's never done!

post #2767 of 2970 Old 09-05-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Do you think your problem is because of the 6720-D firmware? I don't recall others with this problem.

This is true, I'm current investigating even on my HDMI interface on the Sony bravia.
It is new, could be very strange if damaged.
Thanks again
post #2768 of 2970 Old 09-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

This is true, I'm current investigating even on my HDMI interface on the Sony bravia.
It is new, could be very strange if damaged.
Thanks again

Check your cables and connections.

- it's never done!

post #2769 of 2970 Old 09-14-2007, 10:27 AM

My 2910 is on the blink. Plays DVDs and SACD fine, but Audio CDs cutout every 3 seconds. tried a laser lens cleaner and nothing. has always worked well. No idea what i'd replace it with. not interesting in investing a lot - maybe Oppo.

How do I re-initialize it again?
post #2770 of 2970 Old 09-14-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine does the same thing. It is because you have HDMI output set but it is not linked up to a display(you will see HDMI logo flashing on and off). You can either turn your display on or turn HDMI off. Kind of annoying.
post #2771 of 2970 Old 09-14-2007, 11:04 AM

that explains it. I did the "initialize" and that fixed it. always wondered why the HDMI thing was flashing. so i have to manually change this every time? hmm..
post #2772 of 2970 Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Or just leave your TV on. Let me know if you find a better way to solve it.
post #2773 of 2970 Old 09-24-2007, 07:07 PM

still working on it. after the initialize, i've now lost the sub when listening to SACD or redbook audio. i know it's a setting in here somewhere can not figure it out. I do use the analog outs on the denon for music listening. the sub is still digital.
post #2774 of 2970 Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This sounds like a receiver problem. Do you have the speakers, front at least, set to 'Large" and the subwoofer setup in the Speaker setup menu is set to 'LFE" instead of "LFE + Main" (those are the settings in Denon receivers—will probably be different for other makes). If it's set to LFE, only the content of a dedicated LFE channel is sent to the sub and SACDs/CDs don't have such a channel. Set the sub to LFE + Main and it will get content below the crossover frequency from the mains also.

This setting should have no effect if your speakers are set to "Small". If that's the case it's probably a different problem and I have no idea what it may me.
post #2775 of 2970 Old 10-05-2007, 05:06 PM

Does anyone have a problem bringing up the firmware/software version on the 2910, mine was working ok about a year ago, I did the remote MR hack and never check it again. I called Denon recently since the macroblocking was driving me crazy and they send me ESS:6720-D Day 902 firmware update - I could not check the firmware version before the install but I thought I would re-initialize the player and check again after the install. I still was unable to pull up the software version to confirm it loaded (which I think it did as the picture was better). called up denon but they just told me to do the standard remote 3-2-6-5 on the remote after the 3 second holding the open/close and play + on/off. But I can't seem to get it to show the version. Player is otherwise fine,
Any input would be appreciated.
post #2776 of 2970 Old 10-08-2007, 11:17 AM

Quick Question

Ever since i bought my DVD-2910, it has sporadically failed to read certain discs.

Most discs play fine... but a few just dont play, no matter how clean they are. Even brand new discs taken straight out of the box... Three Kings, Blue Velvet being prime examples. I've even bought box tv sets like The Wire and had every disc bar one work. In all cases, these same discs work on much cheaper dvd players that i have in the house.

Any ideas how to fix this problem, or what the problem could be?
Please help!
post #2777 of 2970 Old 10-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangore View Post

Quick Question

Ever since i bought my DVD-2910, it has sporadically failed to read certain discs.

Most discs play fine... but a few just dont play, no matter how clean they are. Even brand new discs taken straight out of the box... Three Kings, Blue Velvet being prime examples. I've even bought box tv sets like The Wire and had every disc bar one work. In all cases, these same discs work on much cheaper dvd players that i have in the house.

Any ideas how to fix this problem, or what the problem could be?
Please help!

This is probably not a good sign. Typically, it starts with a few discs and "spreads" to more and more until nothing plays. Also typically, it is the laser assembly - a several hundred dollar repair if out of warranty.

- it's never done!

post #2778 of 2970 Old 10-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does anyone have a problem bringing up the firmware/software version on the 2910, mine was working ok about a year ago, I did the remote MR hack and never check it again. I called Denon recently since the macroblocking was driving me crazy and they send me ESS:6720-D Day 902 firmware update - I could not check the firmware version before the install but I thought I would re-initialize the player and check again after the install. I still was unable to pull up the software version to confirm it loaded (which I think it did as the picture was better). called up denon but they just told me to do the standard remote 3-2-6-5 on the remote after the 3 second holding the open/close and play + on/off. But I can't seem to get it to show the version. Player is otherwise fine,
Any input would be appreciated.

I am having this exact same issue now...Denon sent me the disk and after I installed it I cannot check the firmware version to confirm it installed...I too had done the multi-region remote hack a few months ago and it has always worked fine until now...after updating to 6720-D I cannot check the firmware...I wonder what the deal is here???

Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #2779 of 2970 Old 10-16-2007, 10:11 PM

Hello fellow Denonites! I wonder if someone may have some insight into issue I have been having with my 2910.

I purchased the unit 2 years ago this month and up to a few weeks ago have had no problems. However now the unit is shutting off and or locks up randomly when playing a DVD. On the occasion when I can shut off the unit via the remote, the unit will play however none of the displays light up but the unit start to play automatically.

Thanks for your help in advance.
post #2780 of 2970 Old 10-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Tech Guy View Post

Hello fellow Denonites! I wonder if someone may have some insight into issue I have been having with my 2910.

I purchased the unit 2 years ago this month and up to a few weeks ago have had no problems. However now the unit is shutting off and or locks up randomly when playing a DVD. On the occasion when I can shut off the unit via the remote, the unit will play however none of the displays light up but the unit start to play automatically.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Has this been happening more and more often since you first noticed the problem?

- it's never done!

post #2781 of 2970 Old 10-17-2007, 02:40 PM

Yes "pepar", it does seem to be getting worse.

Only one of the last three DVDs I have played have been able to play through to the end. I tried to play the new Transformers movie last night and it didn’t get past the Dreamworks logo before it stopping a locking up, I refused to try it a second time.

David
post #2782 of 2970 Old 10-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Yes "pepar", it does seem to be getting worse.

Only one of the last three DVDs I have played have been able to play through to the end. I tried to play the new Transformers movie last night and it didn't get past the Dreamworks logo before it stopping a locking up, I refused to try it a second time.

I've read this here many, many times. Bottom line is that, most likely, your laser assembly is failing. If yours "progresses" like the rest, it will get worse and worse until nothing plays. The cost to repair - a few hundred dollars - puts it in the "not economically feasible" category as new, equal quality players are now available new for that amount. I hope I'm wrong.

- it's never done!

post #2783 of 2970 Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 PM

Oh dread, I was hoping it was more along the lines of a power supply issue. Come to think of it the last night I noticed that after the unit stopped playing that the drive produced a “whining” sound similar to that of a computer disk drive when it is reading a disk, I had never noticed the sound before last night.

Well looks as though I will be taking it in for a diagnostic. If it is the laser assembly, as you have hypothesized, and the cost to repair is the "not economically feasible" category, do you have a suggestion as to a replacement? I have a KDS-R60XBR1 and am using the HDMI connection.

Thanks you for your assistance,

David
post #2784 of 2970 Old 10-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Oh dread, I was hoping it was more along the lines of a power supply issue. Come to think of it the last night I noticed that after the unit stopped playing that the drive produced a whining sound similar to that of a computer disk drive when it is reading a disk, I had never noticed the sound before last night.

Well looks as though I will be taking it in for a diagnostic. If it is the laser assembly, as you have hypothesized, and the cost to repair is the "not economically feasible" category, do you have a suggestion as to a replacement? I have a KDS-R60XBR1 and am using the HDMI connection.

Thanks you for your assistance,

David

The Oppo's are looking like an irresistible force. They have two (or three) universal players between MSRP $150 and $230. I believe all have HDMI, with the $230 unit passing video (naturally) and all audio (including decoded DVD-A and SACD) over it. With hi-def here, it just doesn't seem to make sense to spend more on a DVD player.

Good luck!

- it's never done!

post #2785 of 2970 Old 10-18-2007, 08:05 PM

I did some research on the Oppo DVD player this after noon, it sounds like a great replacement player if the cost of fixing the one I have is too high. After all, we are all just waiting for the format “war” to end.

Thanks again for the help and advice, it is greatly appreciated.

David
post #2786 of 2970 Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 PM

Code:
I did some research on the Oppo DVD player this after noon, it sounds like a great replacement player if the cost of fixing the one I have is too high
And the uppo is much thinner too

- Stop the Wars soon

Take Care,
-Charlie
post #2787 of 2970 Old 10-19-2007, 04:40 AM

Hello all,

I've searched for "shaking" and "vibrating", read what came up, but didn't glean anything useful.

I've had my 2910 for 2-1/2 years with no problems. I recently came back from an extended trip (3 months), and had my system unplugged from the wall (everything runs through my power conditioner). I put a redbook CD that I've had for a long time into the player and it immediately began shaking & vibrating like a little washing machine, and then it locked up. I repeated with a number of CD's - same thing. I tried multiple DVD's (both movies and concerts), and it plays all of those just fine all the way through with no shaking or other problems.

I confirmed that all settings are at factory defaults. Firmware is ESS 6720-4. For redbook CD's, I use analog out & set my pre/pro on bypass, which is how I've always had it set up. For DVD's, I use component. Nothing has changed as far as cabling, setup, etc.

I spoke with Denon tech support, who said this was not a known problem and suggested trying a lens cleaner disc, so I ran my Scotch laser lens cleaner through it (first time I've done this on this player). No shaking, but at first, it would only run the cleaning track (#2) for a few seconds and then lock up, so I repeated this a number of times and it gradually began to run #2 track longer each time before skipping and then locking up.

I put a redbook CD in and it played for a short time, then the timer began to skip ahead a few times and then it would lock up. Same with the other redbook CD's I tried. There is no longer any shaking or vibrating happening, just playing for a short time, then skipping ahead, then lock up.

I repeated this process throughout the day thinking more cleaning = good, right? But I've had no luck as far as getting a CD to play for a longer time before locking up. And it still won't get all the way through the cleaning track w/o locking up.

Has anyone dealt with this problem? Does it suggest anything? I have an authorized service center in town, but if I can try something else before bringing it in, I'd obviously rather do it before I disconnect everything & remove the player from the shelf.

I’m wondering if having the power cut to the player for 3 months resulted in some sort of ‘reset’ and now I need to change a setting or something? Or that my not ever having cleaned the laser lens has finally caught up with me and needs servicing?

Any ideas? I bow to your collective wisdom...
post #2788 of 2970 Old 10-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDub View Post

Hello all,

I've searched for "shaking" and "vibrating", read what came up, but didn't glean anything useful.

I've had my 2910 for 2-1/2 years with no problems. I recently came back from an extended trip (3 months), and had my system unplugged from the wall (everything runs through my power conditioner). I put a redbook CD that I've had for a long time into the player and it immediately began shaking & vibrating like a little washing machine, and then it locked up. I repeated with a number of CD's - same thing. I tried multiple DVD's (both movies and concerts), and it plays all of those just fine all the way through with no shaking or other problems.

See this post and substitute your problem for Non-Tech Guy's.

- it's never done!

post #2789 of 2970 Old 10-19-2007, 07:19 AM

VDub---I am going through the same type of problems with my 3910. I sent mine in to Denon for warranty repair about 3 weeks ago. I cant believe Denon played it off like they have never heard or seen this problem before. Especially after I see all the reports on here. Mine is still at Denon, and after sitting on hold with them for an hour yesterday to get a status, they have not even started to look at it. They said they are about 3-4 weeks behind. I am beginning to believe the reports about how BAD Denon CS has become. Good luck with your unit.
post #2790 of 2970 Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perch33 View Post

They said they are about 3-4 weeks behind.

No doubt from all of the failing laser assemblies that need replaced.

- it's never done!

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page