The "Official" Denon DVD-2910 Owners Thread - Page 95 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2821 of 2968 Old 02-01-2008, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, still no luck. Very disappointing...looks like I'm gonna just have to pick up a 99.00 Philips all region player or something to play one f*cking DVD. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2968 Old 02-16-2008, 12:58 AM

I've had my 2910 for about 3 years. Just recently it started giving me a weird problem. The audio (primarily from a CD source) would "hiccup" every 3-5 seconds. The "hiccup" was silent and less than probably half a second. It was not a skip, and not CD specific (i tried different CDs). The glitch/hiccup is heard on both digital and analog outputs. After running the 2910 for some time, the problem would go away strangely. I'm suspecting an electronics stressed part. Also, when I switch to pure direct (video, digital, display ALL off), the hiccup would go away. By the time tonight I changed the pure direct settings to narrow it down, the problem had gone away.

Before I take it to a repair shop, I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or has heard of this issue before.

Many thanks in advance.
post #2823 of 2968 Old 02-16-2008, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds similar to the issue of the HDMI/DVI input not being linked to the display while trying to listen to a CD. You will notice the HDMI light flashing on the front. If you turn your TV on the skipping will go away or you have to turn HDMI/DVI to OFF (which is part of Direct Mode as well). Give it a shot, that is probably the issue. Mine does the same thing.
post #2824 of 2968 Old 03-01-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Schatz View Post

Do you have the player hooked up via the analogue inputs? Are you setting your receiver to the analogue inputs? Are you using HDMI? SACD does not pass over HDMI under versions less than 1.3.

I finally hooked up the analog outputs. I have sound now but no volume control. its very strange. The sound is there but when trying to adjust the volume it just cuts out completely. I cant adjust the volume at all. When you say HDMI 1.3, is that the type of cable or the version of output on the DVD player?

Thanks !
post #2825 of 2968 Old 03-01-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgus View Post

I finally hooked up the analog outputs. I have sound now but no volume control. its very strange. The sound is there but when trying to adjust the volume it just cuts out completely. I cant adjust the volume at all. When you say HDMI 1.3, is that the type of cable or the version of output on the DVD player?

Thanks !

I meant to say HDMI 1.2 is required to pass SACD. It's not the cable; it's a revision to the interface. On the 2910 it's 1.1. You can't control the volume via your receiver?
post #2826 of 2968 Old 03-01-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Schatz View Post

I meant to say HDMI 1.2 is required to pass SACD. It's not the cable; it's a revision to the interface. On the 2910 it's 1.1. You can't control the volume via your receiver?

Another-words, on the 2910 the only way to play sacd is through the analog outputs? No .. I cant control the sound via the volume control on the receiver. I crank it up and the sound stays the same. I turn it down & there is no change except when it gets near the bottom, it cuts off abruptly. The sound I do hear seems ok
post #2827 of 2968 Old 03-02-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:

Another-words, on the 2910 the only way to play sacd is through the analog outputs? No .. I cant control the sound via the volume control on the receiver. I crank it up and the sound stays the same. I turn it down & there is no change except when it gets near the bottom, it cuts off abruptly. The sound I do hear seems ok

Odd. I do not know why it is behaving that way vis a vis the volume. Must have something to do with the way the inputs are configured on your receiver. But yes, the only way to play SACD is through the analogue inputs.
post #2828 of 2968 Old 03-02-2008, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:

.. I cant control the sound via the volume control on the receiver. I crank it up and the sound stays the same. I turn it down & there is no change except when it gets near the bottom, it cuts off abruptly. The sound I do hear seems ok

You should have complete volume control through your AVR when using the analog out and you need to run the distance and gain setup in the DVD 2910. Fwiw, I have never heard of the volume not being controlled.

Just to confirm...You have your DVD player hooked up to the 6 analog inputs and not to the pre-amps outputs, correct? I don't know if having it setup the wrong way would allow volume to come out but can't imagine why you wouldn't have control of it in the first place. Good Luck.
post #2829 of 2968 Old 03-02-2008, 06:12 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Do we know what AVR rcgus is using? Did early AVR's analog pass-throughs do just that - pass through unaffected by *any* controls? It's been so long that I forget.
post #2830 of 2968 Old 03-06-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

You should have complete volume control through your AVR when using the analog out and you need to run the distance and gain setup in the DVD 2910. Fwiw, I have never heard of the volume not being controlled.

Just to confirm...You have your DVD player hooked up to the 6 analog inputs and not to the pre-amps outputs, correct? I don't know if having it setup the wrong way would allow volume to come out but can't imagine why you wouldn't have control of it in the first place. Good Luck.

Zen .. You nailed it. I inadvertently plugged into the pre-amp outputs. I have a large system close to the wall so it was hard to see upside down and sideways. I should have looked at the diagram in the manual 1st. I haven't corrected it yet since its such a project, but I will do it soon and update the results. Thanks for all the responses and the help. Oh ... I have the Denon AVR 3805
post #2831 of 2968 Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I also have my Denon DVD-2910 hooked up through analog on my AVR 3805 and it sounds awesome. I guess that's why I am the Zen Traveler. I am glad you figured it out.
post #2832 of 2968 Old 03-07-2008, 10:53 AM

i am using a denon 2910 dvd player but everytime i connect the hdmi cable to the receiver ( ONKYO 605), my dvd player hangs at loading and refuses to off, open , just shows loading through out. the moment i removed the cable or switch the receiver off , the dvd player works normally after removing power then restarting again...

Is there some feedback with HDMI cause i think the 2910 is only ver 1.1 hdmi vs 1.3 for the onkyo 605.

This happens with both the cheap HDMI cable and also the monster one, so i guess it is the receiver feedback through HDMI to my DVD player causing a electronic or software corruption then hang?

This is very very weird, feels like some sort of incompatibility issue and feedback direct to the software of the dvd player causing it to hang...

Funny thing , is everytime i remove the HDMI and reset my dvd player , it works normally. As long as there is no HDMI signal from the receiver , my dvd player works , once the receiver is on and HDMI is connected , the DVD player hangs the moment you power on..

**sigh** - ... thought my dvd player broke all of a sudden, coulding even open to take out the disc, till i remove the HDMi cable then switch off and on and " it works again" ....

any comments or help?

My version

ESS-6720-2
Make day-725f
DRV-030825
System - 6768-2
DSP 6776

think my set is a region 2 set, if i do a firmware upgrade with region free code , do you think it will resolve my HDMI causing hanging issue to be resolved?

by the way, anyone can email me the upgrade ? I tried looking all over for it but to no avail. even the denon website doesnt allow me to download saying my serial number is not valid. ( maybe cause mine is region 2? )
post #2833 of 2968 Old 03-09-2008, 12:24 PM

Have surfed through a lot of these messages and not sure which apply to me. My 2910, which has fewer than 100 hours on it, just had the output die. In the middle of an Amy Wienhouse concert video... hmmm.. I wonder if there's a connection...

No audio coming out of the optical. No video out of the component. But the front display says it's playing.

What are my options? I bought an extended warranty when I bought it a year and a half ago but it sounds like it takes months to get these things back...

If I just ditch it (I see you can get them on Amazon for $279 now) what would be a good one to get? I don't do as good a job with keeping up on current A/V technology as I should...

Thanks.
post #2834 of 2968 Old 03-09-2008, 01:27 PM

Thats cool .. Now I know exactly who to ask when I screw something else up ... . Thanks again !
post #2835 of 2968 Old 03-09-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenhog View Post

...My 2910, which has fewer than 100 hours on it, just had the output die. In the middle of an Amy Wienhouse concert video... hmmm.. I wonder if there's a connection...

No audio coming out of the optical. No video out of the component. But the front display says it's playing.

If it worked before and it's not working now and you have an extended warranty it really is a no-brainer, imo.

If there is a chance that you may have inadvertently pushed some buttons, make sure you didn't turn off the video from the DVD-2910 and that you have the correct digital Audio in and Video assignments in your AVR's setup. Good Luck.
post #2836 of 2968 Old 03-09-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Did you accidentally press the "Pure Direct" - "Select" button on the bottom right of the remote? The different modes will turn off.

Although this probably isn't it, since you aren't getting audio either.

If you get rid of it and get something new, it depends on what you want it to do. I use mine as a CD player and upconverting DVD player over HDMI, and like the ability to do hi-res CD multi-channel stuff. So I would personally for another one. If you just need an upconverting player, there are other players you can probably get cheaper, or use a Blu-ray player to upconvert.
post #2837 of 2968 Old 03-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Have surfed through a lot of these messages and not sure which apply to me. My 2910, which has fewer than 100 hours on it, just had the output die. In the middle of an Amy Wienhouse concert video... hmmm.. I wonder if there's a connection...

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Did you accidentally press the "Pure Direct" - "Select" button on the bottom right of the remote? The different modes will turn off.

Although this probably isn't it, since you aren't getting audio either.

It could be, because Pure Direct can turn the Video Output on/off (not sure if that effects component though) as well as digital audio on/off and the player display on/off.

I guess this can easily be discounted by pressing the "Pure/Direct Select" button on the player and it should say NORMAL. If not press it a few times until NORMAL appears on the player.
post #2838 of 2968 Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 PM

What do you guys recommend - analog outputs or coax/optical output? I have a yamaha htr-5990 receiver.

Thanks guys.
Carmine.
post #2839 of 2968 Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

coax/optical if you're just doing DVDs. If you are doing SACD, hi-res CDs, then multichannel.

With my last receiver, I actually had optical for DVDs, L/R stereo for CDs, and multichannel for hi-res audio stuff, all hooked up to the receiver.
post #2840 of 2968 Old 03-10-2008, 01:53 PM

Thanks Bri!!!!
post #2841 of 2968 Old 03-16-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone had any luck bitstreaming Dolby/DTS via HDMI with a Denon 2910 to an Onkyo TX-SR805? I've dug all around the 2910's set-up menu and simply cannot get anything but Stereo or Surround PCM from DVDs via HDMI on my 805?
post #2842 of 2968 Old 03-30-2008, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

What are my options? I bought an extended warranty when I bought it a year and a half ago but it sounds like it takes months to get these things back...

If I just ditch it (I see you can get them on Amazon for $279 now) what would be a good one to get? I don't do as good a job with keeping up on current A/V technology as I should...

Thanks.

At this point, I would not buy another DVD-2910 at that price. I would suggest the Oppo DV-980H, Oppo DV-983H, Denon DVD-2930CI and Denon DVD-3930CI as possible contenders. I have the DVD-2910 and DV-980H and like both really well. Read about all of them, all are good in my opinion and there are others but assuming you want the things the DVD-2910 does, I think you are likely to find something at the price you want among my suggestions. If your DVD-2910 can be brought back to life without spending much, continuing to use it is a great option as well.

Chris
post #2843 of 2968 Old 03-30-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat View Post

Has anyone had any luck bitstreaming Dolby/DTS via HDMI with a Denon 2910 to an Onkyo TX-SR805? I've dug all around the 2910's set-up menu and simply cannot get anything but Stereo or Surround PCM from DVDs via HDMI on my 805?

In my own receiver, a Sony 5300ES, there was an option for "decoding priority" or something like that, "PCM" or "Auto." When set to "PCM" it seemed to pull PCM from the 2910. Might have changed it by setting to "Auto."

My memory's not 100% on this, but it's something to look into with your receiver.
post #2844 of 2968 Old 04-07-2008, 04:52 PM

Well I finally hooked up the analogue outputs and played Pink Floyd Dark Side of the moon on SACD. It was amazing. I had no idea what I was missing. I didn't think it could get any better until I played Seal's greatest hits on Audio DVD 5.1. I am more impressed w/ my Denon gear then ever before. Thanks for all the help !
post #2845 of 2968 Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat View Post

Neither could I with my Marantz SR8002 receiver. Use an optical cable.
post #2846 of 2968 Old 04-07-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

coax/optical if you're just doing DVDs. If you are doing SACD, hi-res CDs, then multichannel.

With my last receiver, I actually had optical for DVDs, L/R stereo for CDs, and multichannel for hi-res audio stuff, all hooked up to the receiver.

Same here, but I also use optical for CDs
post #2847 of 2968 Old 04-07-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Well I finally hooked up the analogue outputs and played Pink Floyd Dark Side of the moon on SACD. It was amazing. I had no idea what I was missing. I didn't think it could get any better until I played Seal's greatest hits on Audio DVD 5.1. I am more impressed w/ my Denon gear then ever before. Thanks for all the help !

SACD's, DVD-Audio, DTS and DVD 5.1 all sound amazing don't they? Shame the rest of the general public doesn't appreciate it so much. I'd like to see a lot more releases on these formats.

I wonder if the 3930 sounds even better?! Those machines are starting to hit reasonable prices...
post #2848 of 2968 Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I've been able to bitstream DD/DTS over HDMI to my Sony 5300ES receiver. In the setup I have the audio set to normal multichannel, not mutlichan PCM.
post #2849 of 2968 Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone compared the upscaling of the 2910 to the newer players that are coming out, like the Oppo models, the PS3, HD DVD players, etc.? How does the 2910's picture quality hold up?
post #2850 of 2968 Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am getting a brand new Denon 2910 from *******.com tomorrow.

Before I ask any qyestions I would want you all to know that I own or used to own these DVD players

Pioneer Elite 47Ai Used To
Pioneer Elite 79Avi Still Own

Denon 555 Used To

Toshiba HD DVD Player Still Own

Sony NV-90V Still Own

Marantz DV-4002 Still Own and of course adding the Denon 2910 to my collection

I wanted to know from others who have this product if the price I paid for it was good, the total price was $217 shipped

I always wanted to have the 2910 but back in those days it was $699 and that is why I went with Pioneer Elite.

This Denon will be in my bedroom for DVD playback, DVD Audio and SACD.

I know that only the 3910 and 3930 beat my Pioneer Elite 79Avi in performance, so I am not even going to compare the 2910 because I know what the 79Avi is made of.

Hopefully I wont have any problems with the player and I am downloading the firmware update from denon.com so first thing tomorrow will be to update the player so it will function properly.

If you have any suggestions or questions please feel free to message me

Thanks

I am glad I finally found this player at this price.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page