The "Official" Denon DVD-2910 Owners Thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 2968 Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I love this player. Sturdy build quality, great image quality, great sound quality for movies and CDs and multi-chan CDs. Newer players can probably produce a better upscaled picture. But regardless it has a lot of customizability with regards to picture settings, audio, etc.

Plus you can enter a special code to make it region-free (with the right firmware), which I like since I have some Japanese and Chinese DVDs.

I paid $430 about 2 years back for a refurb. it replaced my HTPC for upconverting DVDs at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2968 Old 04-20-2008, 02:44 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm sure this has been answered several times but couldn't find it with a search. Trying to set this up with my Integra 9.8 preamp, I have tried setting the HDMI to both Normal and LPCM, but my Integra simply reads "Multich" versus DTS or Dolby. Which HDMI audio setting is "best" to use and is it normal to read "Multich" or am I missing something in my preamp or on the DVD player?

Thanks!

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #2853 of 2968 Old 04-20-2008, 03:12 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

I'm sure this has been answered several times but couldn't find it with a search. Trying to set this up with my Integra 9.8 preamp, I have tried setting the HDMI to both Normal and LPCM, but my Integra simply reads "Multich" versus DTS or Dolby. Which HDMI audio setting is "best" to use and is it normal to read "Multich" or am I missing something in my preamp or on the DVD player?

Thanks!

I had the same problem with my Marantz SR8002. I now use the optical cable for sound.
post #2854 of 2968 Old 04-20-2008, 03:23 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Interesting, so is this an issue with the Denon or the Integra/Marantz? Does Multich mean it is not getting a Dolby or DTS signal? If it simply means the Integra is decoding the DTS or Dolby, then I'm fine with that.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #2855 of 2968 Old 04-23-2008, 12:25 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Sounds like it did the same thing with my brother's Denon 3807. I'm confused, does this simply mean the receiver receives the signal from the 2910 and then will correctly process it into DTS or DD itself (versus decoding in the player)? Or does it mean I'm basically not hearing DTS or DD through HDMI?

Quote:

post #2856 of 2968 Old 05-19-2008, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Thanks!

I just hooked up my 2910 to a Denon 3808 AVR and I get the same thing. The AVR always says "MULTI CH IN" regardless of whether you choose lpcm or normal on the 2910. It appears that the 2910 is decoding DD and DTS and sending it over HDMI as PCM in both cases.
post #2857 of 2968 Old 06-01-2008, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This will probably be my last Denon DVD player. I have owned this DVD player since November 2005. Overall, I think it is a great quality player with a couple of quirks that is quite annoying enough to deter me from buying Denon for my next Blue Ray DVD player.

The two quirks are:

1. The player is not smart enough to automatically switch between widescreen and fullscreen DVDs! This appears to be a Denon's trait since the problem is still in their AVR3808ci upconverting receiver.

2. The player is just unable to maintain an HDMI HDCP handshake once established. At least once during a DVD playback, the player will perform the handshake again thereby losing both picture and sound for a second or two. This occurs when it is hooked up directly to a TV or via the Denon AVR3808ci.

The sad thing is that these two quirks should easily be handled with a firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, Denon does not feel the need to update a product's firmware when the product is outdated. Instead Denon would prefer to give excuses like makes sure you power up your equipment in a certain order or that you can manually switch between widescreen and fullscreen using the "Squeeze Mode" in the setup menu.

Still Learning
post #2858 of 2968 Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't understand either of your gripes. My player automatically adjusts for wide and full DVD. I have never had any HDMI handshake problems in the multiple setups I have used mine in. Right now this player is my bedroom DVD player and it works great still.
post #2859 of 2968 Old 06-01-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I must say after upgrading to the $170 Oppo 980H, I can't believe I lived with the macroblocking and green push of the 2910 for so long. Not only that but the PQ is noticeably sharper and more "solid" with the 980H than the 2910.

The 2910 kicks the crap out of the Oppo with interlaced material like older TV shows, music videos, and shot on video stuff, but there is absolutely no comparison between the two with progressive video. The Oppo buries this player.
post #2860 of 2968 Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

I don't understand either of your gripes. My player automatically adjusts for wide and full DVD. I have never had any HDMI handshake problems in the multiple setups I have used mine in. Right now this player is my bedroom DVD player and it works great still.

No kidding? What firmware version are you using?

I am using 6720_D_MR. My player displays widescreen fine, but stretches fullscreen. The only way to watch fullscreen DVDs in the 4:3 ratio is to use the Squeeze Mode in the Setup Menu.

Still Learning
post #2861 of 2968 Old 06-02-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

That is the same version I have I believe. I was not clear on your aspect issue. I did not understand you wanted OAR when you said "The player is not smart enough to automatically switch between widescreen and fullscreen DVDs!".

I use plasma displays so I do not watch 4:3 in OAR so I am happy the Denon automatically adjusts it to 16:9.
post #2862 of 2968 Old 06-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

This will probably be my last Denon DVD player. I have owned this DVD player since November 2005. Overall, I think it is a great quality player with a couple of quirks that is quite annoying enough to deter me from buying Denon for my next Blue Ray DVD player.

The two quirks are:

1. The player is not smart enough to automatically switch between widescreen and fullscreen DVDs! This appears to be a Denon's trait since the problem is still in their AVR3808ci upconverting receiver.

2. The player is just unable to maintain an HDMI HDCP handshake once established. At least once during a DVD playback, the player will perform the handshake again thereby losing both picture and sound for a second or two. This occurs when it is hooked up directly to a TV or via the Denon AVR3808ci.

The sad thing is that these two quirks should easily be handled with a firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, Denon does not feel the need to update a product's firmware when the product is outdated. Instead Denon would prefer to give excuses like makes sure you power up your equipment in a certain order or that you can manually switch between widescreen and fullscreen using the "Squeeze Mode" in the setup menu.

Non-anamorphic DVDs should automatically get pillarboxed for you. Any other setting results in a distorted (if stretched) or chopped (if zoomed) picture. It would be nice if the 2910 did that, but I just programmed a macro on my remote to switch to squeeze mode.

I never had a handshake problem with this player. However, I mistakenly sent this player to Denon for repair because of a handshake issue with my first panny plasma (which I exchanged). The 2910 was fine, and I'm using it right now with a 3808 with no issues like that.
post #2863 of 2968 Old 06-02-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

Non-anamorphic DVDs should automatically get pillarboxed for you. Any other setting results in a distorted (if stretched) or chopped (if zoomed) picture. It would be nice if the 2910 did that, but I just programmed a macro on my remote to switch to squeeze mode.

I never had a handshake problem with this player. However, I mistakenly sent this player to Denon for repair because of a handshake issue with my first panny plasma (which I exchanged). The 2910 was fine, and I'm using it right now with a 3808 with no issues like that.

Having a macro only makes it a little easier to manually switch to squeeze mode. However, it is still a manual process. Even my 1998 Toshiba player is smart enough to automatically detect anamorphic DVDs from non-anamorphic DVDs.

As for the HDMI HDCP handshake drops during playback, it usually happens only once during a movie playback about 90% of the time. I wish I could isolate what is causing the problem. I tried using 480p, 720p, and 1080i for the HDMI in Y Cb Cr mode. I read a Denon FAQ that this a known problem due to the nature of the HDMI HDCP specifications. Denon even recommended the following order to power on your equipment:

Display -> AVR -> Player

This does help by reducing the dropouts from 100% to about 90%. In other words, 9 out of 10 movies I watch, the HDMI signal will drop for 1-2 second once during playback. This is quite annoying.

I will probably purchase the Sony S550 Blue Ray player when it comes out and just by-pass Denon. The 2910 will just be used as a audio player.

Still Learning
post #2864 of 2968 Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? I wonder if it's a loose connection, or a cable that has been twisted or something.
post #2865 of 2968 Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Having a macro only makes it a little easier to manually switch to squeeze mode. However, it is still a manual process. Even my 1998 Toshiba player is smart enough to automatically detect anamorphic DVDs from non-anamorphic DVDs.

As for the HDMI HDCP handshake drops during playback, it usually happens only once during a movie playback about 90% of the time. I wish I could isolate what is causing the problem. I tried using 480p, 720p, and 1080i for the HDMI in Y Cb Cr mode. I read a Denon FAQ that this a known problem due to the nature of the HDMI HDCP specifications. Denon even recommended the following order to power on your equipment:

Display -> AVR -> Player

This does help by reducing the dropouts from 100% to about 90%. In other words, 9 out of 10 movies I watch, the HDMI signal will drop for 1-2 second once during playback. This is quite annoying.

I will probably purchase the Sony S550 Blue Ray player when it comes out and just by-pass Denon. The 2910 will just be used as a audio player.

Are you sure the handshake problem is with the Denon player and not the display? Do you get the problem with the Toshiba player (does it have an HDMI out)?

I went through 2 sets of HDMI cables and tried three different dvd players before I realized it was the display that was the problem, not the players. I had the exact same symptom you describe with the signal dropping out.
post #2866 of 2968 Old 06-03-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? I wonder if it's a loose connection, or a cable that has been twisted or something.

I tried 3 different HDMI cables. The 3 cables were from Impact Acoustic, Blue Jeans, and Monoprice. The HDMI handshake problem occurred with all 3 cables. Even if it was a problem with the cable, would not the dropout be more problematic?

I only get the dropout once during the entire playback of a movie. Once the dropout occurs, then the rest of the movie playback is fine. If I put in a new DVD, then the dropout will happen once again at some point during playback. This leads me to think it is the player.

Still Learning
post #2867 of 2968 Old 06-03-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

Are you sure the handshake problem is with the Denon player and not the display? Do you get the problem with the Toshiba player (does it have an HDMI out)?

I went through 2 sets of HDMI cables and tried three different dvd players before I realized it was the display that was the problem, not the players. I had the exact same symptom you describe with the signal dropping out.

The problem occurs on both of my Sony displays. One is a rear projection KDF-E50A10 Grand Wega, the other is a LCD KDL52XBR4 panel. My inclination is to say it is the player, bu I cannot be 100% sure. The reason I think it is the player is that when the dropout occurs, the audio and signal indicators on the AVR for the player blanks out as if there is no audio or video signals.

Unfortunately, the Toshiba player is a 1998 model, way before HDMI. It would be great for people with the 2910 and similar Sony displays to give some feedback so that I can be sure if the problem lies with either the Sony displays or the player.

Still Learning
post #2868 of 2968 Old 06-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The problem occurs on both of my Sony displays. One is a rear projection KDF-E50A10 Grand Wega, the other is a LCD KDL52XBR4 panel. My inclination is to say it is the player, bu I cannot be 100% sure. The reason I think it is the player is that when the dropout occurs, the audio and signal indicators on the AVR for the player blanks out as if there is no audio or video signals.

Unfortunately, the Toshiba player is a 1998 model, way before HDMI. It would be great for people with the 2910 and similar Sony displays to give some feedback so that I can be sure if the problem lies with either the Sony displays or the player.

It would be pretty unlikely that two different displays would have a problem. I'm inclined to think it's the player also. The only way to be sure is to go out and pick up a "cheap" $50 player with HDMI (even cheap ones have that now), and try it.

You can also try connecting the 2910 to the 3808 with a component cable to factor out an issue with HDMI on the 2910. The 3808 will convert component input to HDMI output.

If the issue goes away with either of these two ideas, that would be strong evidence that it's the 2910 HDMI.
post #2869 of 2968 Old 06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to weigh in, the best HDMI cables I have tried are Accell and Blue Jeans. I would probably go with the Blue Jeans because they are cheaper and seem better.

Also I had my Denon hooked to a S2000 series Sony LCD HDTV that I have since sold and never had a single handshake problem or dropout and that was when the Denon was my main player so it saw a lot more use back then. Since then I have hooked it to a Pioneer Kuro and a Panasonic plasma.

To be honest I did have one dropout issue when I hooked it to my Panny in my bedroom where it resides now. The problem was a cheap HDMI cable I had in the chain. The TV is wall mounted so the signal chain consists of three different cables and two wallplates until it gets to the display.
post #2870 of 2968 Old 07-19-2008, 09:16 AM

hi all,
my denon 2910 has just all of a sudden stopped working. basically, i put in a dvd (or music cd) and it seems like it can't read the disk. not sure if its the electronics (circuit) or something hitting up against the lens. the first problem i noticed was that it would start looping on a dvd - ie, would play about 1-2 minutes and then restart at the point of origin. a couple of weeks later it stopped reading dvd's and then finally music cd's. sad thing is my old denon 1910 still works fine. any suggestions? not sure if i want to spend the money to take it to denon to get it fixed being that it is out of warranty. ps3 in the works for blue ray playback but likely not near the quality of denon
post #2871 of 2968 Old 08-17-2008, 07:24 AM

I have a 2910 that has recently been updated to the latest firmware (downloaded direct from Denon). It is connected to a Pioneer 1018 via HDMI. I have the HDMI settings on the 2910 set to "Multi (Normal)". When I play a DD DVD, the receiver only sees it has PCM. Why won't it pass DD (or DTS) via HDMI & let the receiver decode?

Any tips/hints to get this to work?
post #2872 of 2968 Old 08-17-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have the player on, but I believe there's a setting that switches between PCM and bitstream. It should be one of the main ones in the setup menu.
post #2873 of 2968 Old 08-17-2008, 02:59 PM

Weird, I think I have it setup correctly.

In the Setup Menu, Digital Interface Setup tab, I have the HDMI Audio Setup on "Multi (Normal)". On the Audio Setup tab, I have the Digital Output on "Normal" (the other setting is PCM). The Digital Output setting is greyed out unless you set the HDMI Audio Setup to "2CH".

Any other ideas?
post #2874 of 2968 Old 08-17-2008, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually now that I think about it, audio over HDMI might be PCM only. I have my 2910 hooked up with HDMI to my receiver, and I also have an optical cable hooked up. So I can hit the HDMI input on the remote to get audio over HDMI, or hit the DVD input to get video over HDMI and audio over optical.
post #2875 of 2968 Old 08-19-2008, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Normal should be bitstream according to the manual. Only other thing I would try is set to 2 ch and then Set Source Direct to on then go back and switch HDMI back to multi normal. You may also need to change a setting in your receiver.
post #2876 of 2968 Old 08-26-2008, 04:10 AM

Hi. I recently upgraded the firmware to ESS-6720-A / make day 330 (according to the pdf that came with the upgrade from Denon), after all these years.

Wow... what a difference in PQ... no more green push and mb is all but gone...

wish I knew about the firmware sooner! lol.

anyway, reading over this thread, you guys mentioned the player can be made universal.

How would I go about making the 2910 region free? (with the firmware version I have loaded)

Thank you.
post #2877 of 2968 Old 08-26-2008, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

REMOTE TRICK
To make the Denon DVD-2910, 3910 and A1XV play DVDs from all regions WITHOUT FIRMWARE UPDATING.

1. Ensure there is no disc in the player.
2. Power off using the front panel On/Off button (not standby).
3. Press and hold Open/Close, Play and Skip Reverse (I<<).
4. Keep the above buttons held and Power-up the player using the On/Off button, holding the above buttons until the player's name disappears from the front panel.
5. Wait until the player finishes LOADING and the front panel of the player shows 0:00:00.
6. On the remote handset, press in sequence; 7 3 1 9 4 6 2 8
7. The unit should enter standby mode. On the front panel of the player, press the Standby button to turn the player back on.
8. To confirm the update, press on the front panel Stop and Skip Forward (>>I). The front panel should briefly display Region_A2. If not, then repeat the process 1-7 above.

This hack needs no firmware upgrade.
post #2878 of 2968 Old 08-30-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

REMOTE TRICK
To make the Denon DVD-2910, 3910 and A1XV play DVDs from all regions WITHOUT FIRMWARE UPDATING.

1. Ensure there is no disc in the player.
2. Power off using the front panel On/Off button (not standby).
3. Press and hold Open/Close, Play and Skip Reverse (I<<).
4. Keep the above buttons held and Power-up the player using the On/Off button, holding the above buttons until the player's name disappears from the front panel.
5. Wait until the player finishes LOADING and the front panel of the player shows 0:00:00.
6. On the remote handset, press in sequence; 7 3 1 9 4 6 2 8
7. The unit should enter standby mode. On the front panel of the player, press the Standby button to turn the player back on.
8. To confirm the update, press on the front panel Stop and Skip Forward (>>I). The front panel should briefly display Region_A2. If not, then repeat the process 1-7 above.

This hack needs no firmware upgrade.

Hi. Thank you.

dumb question but I'm a bit confused with the whole "WITHOUT FIRMWARE UPGRADING" part...

I've upgraded my unit with the firmware provided on the Denon site.

So... does this mean I can't or can use this hack to make the player universal?

Thanks again.

post #2879 of 2968 Old 08-30-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

You can go it on your current fw.

Just do it!
post #2880 of 2968 Old 09-10-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezalon View Post

hi all,
my denon 2910 has just all of a sudden stopped working. basically, i put in a dvd (or music cd) and it seems like it can't read the disk. not sure if its the electronics (circuit) or something hitting up against the lens. the first problem i noticed was that it would start looping on a dvd - ie, would play about 1-2 minutes and then restart at the point of origin. a couple of weeks later it stopped reading dvd's and then finally music cd's. sad thing is my old denon 1910 still works fine. any suggestions? not sure if i want to spend the money to take it to denon to get it fixed being that it is out of warranty. ps3 in the works for blue ray playback but likely not near the quality of denon

I've had some similar problems with my player. Every once in a while the player would stop reading all, or some combination of CD's/SACD/DVDA/DVD's, and display 00:00:00. The 2910, at least mine, seem to be a noisy machines up close, and this time I wasn't hearing the disk spin up like it would when working properly.

So I opened the case and tried loading a DVD again. I could see the top of the spindle struggle to turn. I went ahead and manually helped the spindle turn, and that seemed to help it get going again, and stay that way for a while. In the last year, I've probably had to do this 2-3 times. I'm thinking either the motor that spins the disk may be slowly failing, or the player is sticking someplace and needs a dab of lubricant. I'm not sure which lubricant to use, but so far I have narrow it down to:
PTFE 3n1 oil (2nd pick)
lithium grease (first pick)
Silicone oil

I'm still researching to find out which type will work best and will let you know what I find.

Hope this helped.

SACD library.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page