Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I started this thread since all the other DVD-2910 threads were mostly about comparisons to the 1910 or 3910. I wanted to have a place for 2910 owners to go to discuss any questions they have about this set, whether it be settings, calibration, functions, or anything else.

I recently upgraded from a Denon DVD-910 to a 2910, as I was having issues with the 910 and my Sony KD-34XBR960 set. Basically, anything watched over 480p component (whether 4:3 or 16:9) would severely jitter and bend on the Sony. Moving to 480i instantly cleared up the problem. I watched a few DVDs the other night on the 2910 in 480p and did not notice any jitter or bending. So, all looks good now. Whether the jitter was a function of the 910 or of its Faroudja 2301 chip, I do not know.

Right now, I've noticed the following with the 2910. Since I had to turn in the 910 for a credit toward the 2910, I am not able to do a direct comparison of the two. What I have noticed, though, is that the colors seem a bit deeper and edges seem a bit crisper. One thing I've noticed with both the 910 and the 2910 on my set is some "graininess" with scenes of dark colors or shots of the sky. This is not the macroblocking others have mentioned with other Denon sets, as I know what macroblocking looks like. Whether this is due to the Denon players or the 960, I am not sure. I have not calibrated them yet with either a DVD calibration disc or an ISF calibration. I am getting the 960 exchanged, though, as it has developed a small black dead spot in the middle of the screen. Once I have the new 960 for a few weeks, I will go in and calbirate both on my own to see what results I get, then probably go for an ISF calibration down the road.

Comments are welcome. I'm hoping to get this thread off to a good start!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 09:08 AM

Is there a way to quickly enable the squeeze mode, say for instance when viewing 4x3 material extras on a DVD? Rather than going through the menu steps? (when connected via DVI)

How does one know which to pick on HDMI/DVI Black Level settings..enhanced or normal? (For the record, I've got a Samsung DLP)

Thanks,
Chris
post #3 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally posted by txemsdoc
Is there a way to quickly enable the squeeze mode, say for instance when viewing 4x3 material extras on a DVD? Rather than going through the menu steps? (when connected via DVI)

How does one know which to pick on HDMI/DVI Black Level settings..enhanced or normal? (For the record, I've got a Samsung DLP)

Thanks,
Chris

1st answer is no, u have to go thru the menu.

2nd answer is personal pref. I pref normal on my Sammy DLP.

Partial answer to 1. Dont have to do squeeze in DVD since the Sammy DLP's have the ability to do 4:3 via its setting (one bitton to toggle all supported aspect ratio's available for that source) and it works better. The Sammy dont lock the set, its still have the ability to show diff aspect ratio's. The only probm is when u have a widescreen pic that is not native 16:9. The pic will be letterbox'd in a 4:3 window on the Sammy. This will also happen if done by the DVD in squeeze mode.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #4 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 10:00 AM

tennberg,
I just got my 2910 yesterday and ran it through its paces. I haven't yet calibrated it with my DVE disc, but I can already see and hear the improvements over my Samsung HD-931.

First off, my connections are:

* Component video using the default mode upconverted to 720p (haven't tried DVI yet since my set's solitary input is already being used)
* 5.1ch analog audio with digital output turned off

My first impression is that the audio this player produces is light years beyond anything I've experienced with my HT before. I've got a mid-level Yamaha receiver that I thought was fantastic before using the Denon's DACs. I can't believe there is so much of a difference between the two. The soundstage is more precisely defined and I don't get listening fatigue at even above reference dB levels. I actually feel like I was missing the true theater experience without this player - and underutilizing my Klipsch speakers. I know why those "audiophiles" spend so much on pre/pros and amps now.

To answer one of your questions, I did notice a little graininess in some of he dark scenes in "Eternal Sunshine", but nothing that I thought was out of the ordinary (i.e. something other than natural film grain). What bothered me was the color banding in that DVD. There were many dark scenes that were only lit by a spotlight, producing a stair-step of color instead of a smooth gradient. I haven't compared this to my old player, so it may well be an authoring problem or a DVD technical limitation, but I've never seen this on any other DVD. Overall (without calibration), I didn't see a large difference in video performance between the Denon and Samsung except that there was definitely more shadow detail.

Also tried a couple of SACDs and a DVD-A which didn't overwhelm me, but I did hear the appreciable step up in quality. This is not a feature I see my family using much, but it is nice to have on those occassions.

I just wish I had time to tweak it and play some more titles, but I'll be out of town until Monday... bad timing to get a new toy

BTW- does anyone know of generic Denon discrete codes that might work on the 2910 (or any specific ones)? I'm thinking about auto/film/video modes and pure direct memory modes in particular.
post #5 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Kris Deering! is there any plan to shoot out 2910 and yamaha S2500 in near future?
post #6 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinker

Partial answer to 1. Dont have to do squeeze in DVD since the Sammy DLP's have the ability to do 4:3 via its setting (one bitton to toggle all supported aspect ratio's available for that source) and it works better. The Sammy dont lock the set, its still have the ability to show diff aspect ratio's. The only probm is when u have a widescreen pic that is not native 16:9. The pic will be letterbox'd in a 4:3 window on the Sammy. This will also happen if done by the DVD in squeeze mode.

Correction on #2 question....

Enhanced is for displays expecting a PC level of black, I think it is 0-255

Normal is for displays that expect "video" level of black, I think it is 16-235

You need to do a search and see what the Sammy is looking for.
post #7 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coreymd
tennberg,
I just got my 2910 yesterday and ran it through its paces. I haven't yet calibrated it with my DVE disc, but I can already see and hear the improvements over my Samsung HD-931.

First off, my connections are:

* Component video using the default mode upconverted to 720p (haven't tried DVI yet since my set's solitary input is already being used)
* 5.1ch analog audio with digital output turned off

coreymd: I thought the 2910 could only upconvert over DVI or HDMI. If you are upconverting over component, how did you set that?

I am going to try a few more DVDs tonight to see how the player performs. I'd love to calibrate it using DVE, but my Sony 960 is being swapped out early next week and I don't want to calibrate anything I'll only have for a few more days. Even then, once I get the new 960, I'll have to let it "burn-in" for about 100 hours or so before doing anything.
post #8 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone noticed picture jitter with either the HDMI or DVI @ 1080i (about 1 or 2 pixels, up and down)?

Paul
post #9 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zoro
Kris Deering! is there any plan to shoot out 2910 and yamaha S2500 in near future?

Kris stated on another board that the 2910 will be in the Dec edition of the benchmarks. I don't know if the Yamaha will also be in that edition.
post #10 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One other thing I like about the 2910: its size and presence.

I used to have a Denon 910 and that thing felt like it would blow away in the slightest breeze. It was also about 6.5" deep, making it seem like you literally were missing half a player.

When I went to pick up the 2910 (I didn't get the original box since they needed that for the 910 return - I threw out that box many months ago), I noticed its weight and size carrying it to my car. It is about 4+" deeper than the 910, giving it much more presence. It is also about an inch taller.

I have not tested any of the audio functions of the 2910 as I output audio directly to my Rotel pre-amp/processor via a coaxial digital cable, so I cannot comment on those. I am just happy the jitter I had with my 910 is gone.
post #11 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally posted by longshanksdvd
Correction on #2 question....

Enhanced is for displays expecting a PC level of black, I think it is 0-255

Normal is for displays that expect "video" level of black, I think it is 16-235

You need to do a search and see what the Sammy is looking for.

Sammy can do both depending on source. On the newer sammy DLP (HLP series) there are inputs for DVI, HDMI and VGA.

If ur using DVI or HDMI then Standard, if ur using VGA then Enhance was what I was told.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #12 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coreymd
tennberg,

My first impression is that the audio this player produces is light years beyond anything I've experienced with my HT before. I've got a mid-level Yamaha receiver that I thought was fantastic before using the Denon's DACs. I can't believe there is so much of a difference between the two. The soundstage is more precisely defined and I don't get listening fatigue at even above reference dB levels. I actually feel like I was missing the true theater experience without this player - and underutilizing my Klipsch speakers. I know why those "audiophiles" spend so much on pre/pros and amps now.

I'm not clear on "the two" you're referring to. Are you talking about the difference between your Yamaha receiver and the 2910? Don't you output the 2910 audio to your receiver? Or are you describing another receiver?
post #13 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 05:10 PM

I'm also a new 2910 owner, feeding into a Sony KV32HS510 4:3 HDTV-ready set, via DVI. Any preferences on IRE settings vs picture quality? Although I can adjust the brightness on my Sony to compensate for either IRE level output from the 2910's picture settings, it just seems that 0 IRE provide a bit more punch/detail/whatever. Also, I think that 1080i output gives better detail than the 780p option. It hasn't been long but so far I'm lovin' the 2910 (although I'm still keeping my 1600 in reserve)!
post #14 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 05:18 PM

Hi

Thanks for the responses to my first post.. Not sure which black level samsung expects, but I'll look for that... AFTER...

AFTER I get this new problem resolved..
All of a sudden, with no change in connections, but I did look through various menus although I don't think I changed anything...

While playing Kill Bill 2, it started stuttering with audio and video. Then it quit playing. I took the disk out thinking it was dirty, and wiped it off. Put it back in, and then it displayed loading for several minutes. I turned it off and on and took the disk out and put another in. Now it is playing that disk with audio intact, but the video flashes off and on in 1-2 second cycles that are constant. Audio keeps on playing normally. It's as if the player is cycling through two different video outputs.
I've ensure it is on DVI, 720P to my samsung. Any ideas?
Chris
post #15 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Try a power cycle. Unplug it (not just turned off) for a few minutes and try it again. Hasn't been necessary on my 2900, but my TV appreciates every once in a awhile.
post #16 of 2968 Old 10-15-2004, 10:16 PM

thanks,

Unplugging it worked. I'll go to bed now before I cause another problem
post #17 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have a 2910 on order. Can someone advise the difference using digital audio outputs versus the 5.1 outputs. I can do both with my Onkyo sr701 receiver.

Thanks
post #18 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tinker

I don't know about the Samsung part.. when I toggle the aspects on the TV remote it only gives me WIDE (TV) and WIDE (PC). WIDE (TV) is what I use, and wide pc only shrinks it a few cm on each side, certainly not to a 4x3 picture. I still have to go in through the DVD menu to do the squeeze. Perhaps it is because I have an older samsung, HLM507. I hope someday there will be a discrete code to go to squeeze.

On a more disturbing issue, I am having recurrent problems with the 2910 having what appears to be disk skipping. It's happened on 4 discs now. AFter some time frame of sometimes up to an hour, it stutters, sound stops and restarts, then I eventually lose video and have snippets of sound playing. If I turn the DVD player off and on, it still does it. If I unplug it, it works again for a while.

Is this a defective player? Should I just return it or call Denon? My old Panasonic was more reliable than this...

Chris
post #19 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 08:30 AM

Can anybody confirm that 2910 is not affected by chroma bug?

I'd like to buy and use it with my Marantz vp12s2 via DVI (720p).

Thanks

Cris
post #20 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Denon says it's not affected. DVD-3910 doesn't have it and has the same MPEG decoder (ESS Vibrato) as in DVD-2910. So DVD-2910 shouldn't have the chroma upsampling error.
post #21 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I too am looking into getting the 2910, but I have a dilemma to solve. I have a new Mits 62725 with 1 HDMI input. I run my Tivo HD 250 through this input. I want the 2910 especially for its HDMI output and of course its other assets too. Are there any HDMI switchers out there, preferably remote controlled, that don't cost an arm and a leg. Has anyone here dealt with this problem?
post #22 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 10:02 AM

Radtek,

Does the mits have a DVI input? You could use HDMI for your DVD and DVI for the STB (or vise versa).

My answer does lead me to the question: Is there a difference in QUALITY between the DVI and HDMI. I'm using a DVI to HDMI monster cable from my HD-STB. Is this a bad thing?

Everytime I think I've climbed the learning curve, I find I'm only at the on ramp.
post #23 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 11:46 AM

There is no difference in picture quality using the DVI or HDMI. HDMI includes audio just by using the one cable though. Correct me if I am wrong.....

Cheers,

Oh, I have many skills......
post #24 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I currently use the 2910 hooked up to my Sony KX-34XBR960 via componenvt video. The Sony has an HDMI input. Would I noticed any improvement in picture quality using HDMI from the 2910? Is the video DAC in the 2910 or the Sony TV better? If it's the 2910, then component would give the best picture. If the Sony, then HDMI would be better.

Anyone have firsthand experience with this on a direct-view CRT set?
post #25 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 01:33 PM
BBH

Quote:

Originally posted by tennberg
I currently use the 2910 hooked up to my Sony KX-34XBR960 via componenvt video. The Sony has an HDMI input. Would I noticed any improvement in picture quality using HDMI from the 2910? Is the video DAC in the 2910 or the Sony TV better? If it's the 2910, then component would give the best picture. If the Sony, then HDMI would be better.

Why don't you simply try the various hookups yourself and make your own determination? If I tell you that one looks better than another, who are you going to believe? Me or "your lying eyes"?
post #26 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

If both of your units have HDMI, it is a MUST to use them. It has much more detail, cleaner picture n less calibration needed. Once you have a taste of the new Digital video transfer, there is no turning back. Believe me, even though I am using DVI/DVI.

Quote:

Originally posted by tennberg

Anyone have firsthand experience with this on a direct-view CRT set?

Man see things as they were n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #27 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Craig Clemens
Radtek,

Does the mits have a DVI input? You could use HDMI for your DVD and DVI for the STB (or vise versa).

My answer does lead me to the question: Is there a difference in QUALITY between the DVI and HDMI. I'm using a DVI to HDMI monster cable from by HD-STB. Is this a bad thing?

Craig, unfortunately no, just the one HDMI input and was why I was leaning toward the Samsung DLP as it had both DVI and HDMI. The only difference between HDMI and DVI is HMDI carries sound also. I believe PQ is the same. I want a direct digital connection on as many of my components that support them. I run all sound through my NAD receiver.

The HD-250 uses my available HDMI input so need a switcher of some sort to use the 2910 HDMI output. I would get one now if this switcher thing will pan out.
post #28 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 06:27 PM

Just picked up the 2910 from Magnolia Hi-Fi inside a BB store. Awesome setup it was. They were having a new opening sale this weekend and I got the player just above $100 less than the msrp. I know where I am shopping in the future.

Cheers,

Oh, I have many skills......
post #29 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dlm10541
I have a 2910 on order. Can someone advise the difference using digital audio outputs versus the 5.1 outputs. I can do both with my Onkyo sr701 receiver.

Thanks

Yeah, I have the same setup as you... Was wondering if I should just run the Optical or the 5.1 outputs.
post #30 of 2968 Old 10-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

You need the optical for DVDs/CDs AND the analogs for multi-channel music (dvd-a/SACD).
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page