Panasonic DVD-S97S FAQ / Brain dump - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #4321 of 4325 Old 09-26-2010, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
///is anyone out there is using this unit's dvd-audio feature?i finally was able to hook it up to capable receiver....very impressive to say the least!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 4325 Old 01-04-2011, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just added a Yamaha DVD-S1800 to my system for SACD capabilities. Thinking about dropping the S97 from the stack.

Anyone have thoughts on how the Yamaha and Panasonic compare strictly with respect to DVD playback?

BTW - I bought this player back in May of 2005 and it's still going strong. I never upgraded the firmware (if it ain't broke...) but I'm tempted to. Any reason not to upgrade firmware? I know sometimes firmware updates can make matters worse which is why I'm reluctant.
Bladerunner1959 likes this.
post #4323 of 4325 Old 05-05-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 67
This was fun, going into storage to unbox my fresh old minty s97 ( last dvd player before i jumped into bluray/hdDVD). I attached it via hdmi to my Samsung UN60es8000 led/lcd ...WOW!!! LOL...nice analog-ish pic if ya get my drift.

I almost forgot what a nice and sturdy build quality, smooth operation this unit has... ha ha ha,..My s97 never had a display like this to flex its muscle.

I had to bring it out to help play back on "From Earth to the Moon" HBO mini series , which apparently has major "mastering" issues...that mini series is giving playback issues on 2 other players ( a bluray and HDdvd player)

I have quite a few dvd's that never were released on bluray.

I think i'll keep it around though and play tweak it for my LCd for use with my other 300 plus dvd's. Gotta add it to my HarmonyOne. Ha, i wonder if there is a code for it!

Its on firmware 540 and it seems basic setup for the s97 may be best allowing my awesome Samsung panel to take care of the rest. I wont be obsessing over this unit but its nice to have an old friend/workhorse of excellent aesthetics in the rack taking care of the dvd's.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #4324 of 4325 Old 10-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post
This was fun, going into storage to unbox my fresh old minty s97 ( last dvd player before i jumped into bluray/hdDVD). I attached it via hdmi to my Samsung UN60es8000 led/lcd ...WOW!!! LOL...nice analog-ish pic if ya get my drift.

I almost forgot what a nice and sturdy build quality, smooth operation this unit has... ha ha ha,..My s97 never had a display like this to flex its muscle.

I had to bring it out to help play back on "From Earth to the Moon" HBO mini series , which apparently has major "mastering" issues...that mini series is giving playback issues on 2 other players ( a bluray and HDdvd player)

I have quite a few dvd's that never were released on bluray.

I think i'll keep it around though and play tweak it for my LCd for use with my other 300 plus dvd's. Gotta add it to my HarmonyOne. Ha, i wonder if there is a code for it!

Its on firmware 540 and it seems basic setup for the s97 may be best allowing my awesome Samsung panel to take care of the rest. I wont be obsessing over this unit but its nice to have an old friend/workhorse of excellent aesthetics in the rack taking care of the dvd's.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.
Bladerunner. After reading your post I did the same thing and I was surprised at how good it looks today. I was to and fro with an Oppo 973 and the Panasonic looked better to my eyes. I know the Oppo should look better, but it doesn't.

Thanks for the tip!
Bladerunner1959 likes this.
post #4325 of 4325 Old 10-07-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdray View Post
Bladerunner. After reading your post I did the same thing and I was surprised at how good it looks today. I was to and fro with an Oppo 973 and the Panasonic looked better to my eyes. I know the Oppo should look better, but it doesn't.

Thanks for the tip!
My pleasure. The funny thing is now that I've had the unit up and running a few months. It really does process dvd's better than my excellent Samsung bluray player and in some instances it processes a better picture than my awesome Toshiba hdDVD player (hda30 ? cant remenber ) ...so yea, i'm very pleased to have this solid old work-horse in the rack.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)