Panasonic DVD-S97S FAQ / Brain dump - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 4322 Old 11-08-2004, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IMTARUM - When I finally get back home (Thursday) I'll be hooking up the S97 to my Panny LCD RP 14. I'm expecting great things since I'm currently using either a Pioneer 333 S-vid or Philips 985 comp (POJ).

BTW - if you have a unit on order 3-day Fedex (especially over the weekend) check to see when it gets to the depot. Mine got to the depot on Sat, but was not scheduled to deliver until Tues (3rd day). Had One Call change shipment to hold for pick-up & the wife was able to pick it up today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4322 Old 11-08-2004, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'll definately be getting my unit in by tommorow!! Then I'll get to see for myself what htis player can really do. I'm only going to test it via component since I don't have HDMI on my TV and don't have plans to get an adapter at this point in time.
post #903 of 4322 Old 11-08-2004, 11:27 PM

Is onecall still the only one carrying this DVD player? Any word on when B & M stores will be getting it? I've checked the CC stock recently and it's still not even in our system so I don't know if/when we'll be carrying it.
post #904 of 4322 Old 11-08-2004, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by steeevoboy
I do not own the DVE, if I did I would use it, but I never calibrated my apex dvd with it either. Fifth Element SB Looks good, but not that good. Not as good as through S-vid on the other. The other Dvd's that looked descent on my other player, look like sd if not worse on this one. I was really hoping that this would be a huge step up from my old player, not a step down. I am starting to think it might be a defect, I am going to hook up the s97 via s-video next to see if it looks better than the apex, if it does not, I am pretty sure, at least hope that its a deffect...

Why not get DVE and calibrate? It can be had for around $20 shipped on the internet.
post #905 of 4322 Old 11-08-2004, 11:52 PM

hi everyone

i have just ordered the panny s97 with the panny 700(projector), i have an old pioneer dvd with ony scart and s-video so i hope the purshase of the panny s97 wasnt a total waste.

by the way i read someware that panasonic was going to stop using the faroudja chip in the s97, does anyone now something about that. i am ordering mine in europe(sweden) and without the faroudja i will send it back.

Paul is there any way to see if your player has the faroudja chip without opening it up(warrenty reasons), and thanks for the great thread you have started about this player.
post #906 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Bigelow
[b]

[My settings. Just a "quick quide"

Setup->Video->TV Type: LCD TV / Projector (choose your TV type)

TV Type: I wouldn't touch this setting at all because affects how the picture displays, therefore affecting results.

I'm curious why Panasonic actually added this feature in the S97 because I've seen this feature on my Panasonic DVD-A470EN from Hong Kong. I've seen this also the DVD-S75 and the RP91. I don't find it useful because when I tried myy A470EN on the projection TV setting for my RPTV, the picture didn't quite look as well because the overall picture is darker which didn't look as nice and otherthings were possibly affected as well.

Basically I just leave this on Standard (Direct View TV). Treat it as this feature never existed since the RP82 and RP56 never had this. If you try it on the Standard setting and re-analyze the player again, the result will be different.

Sango
post #907 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks!! I look forward to it.

I should be able to do a head to head comparison against the RP82/56 and 91 because I have all those players as well.

Just curious AkaStp, did you adjust the BLC and notice that the picture looks the simlar to 480p now? Also just you didn't also adjust the TV type too since I mentioned in my intial post.

Sango
post #908 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ratflinger
iamtarun - When I finally get back home (Thursday) I'll be hooking up the S97 to my Panny LCD RP 14. I'm expecting great things since I'm currently using either a Pioneer 333 S-vid or Philips 985 comp (POJ).

BTW - if you have a unit on order 3-day Fedex (especially over the weekend) check to see when it gets to the depot. Mine got to the depot on Sat, but was not scheduled to deliver until Tues (3rd day). Had One Call change shipment to hold for pick-up & the wife was able to pick it up today.

thx ratflinger.

i am also using a POJ dvd player (apex).
Getting the s97 would surely make the difference.

Do u know what de-interlacing chip does the lc14 panny use?
if they already use Faroudja, will there be any difference in PQ due to
upscaling.

thx again,
iamtarun

[b]setup: zp + dscaler + ffdshow andy's + 6600GT dvi->hdmi -> PT50LC14 720p
post #909 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 01:54 AM

Set up my home theater tonight with the S97 and awaiting the new Toshiba 52HMX84 DLP tomorrow. Played some CDs and MP3s for a while and was impressed with sound quality and options. I was using an old 1999 Sony DVD player 480i with PCM and s-video and thought the picture looked very nice on my "old" 36" tube. I hope I am blown away with this player over HDMI... I have no idea what to expect, but I am expecting the worst and hoping for something amazing.
post #910 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
Most Samsung HLP owners that post their settings in the forum set sharpness to 0 including me.

Yep, my HLP is set to zero also.

I also adjusted the sharpness in the dvd player to -3 to reduce that halo effect.

Check out my iPhone apps!! -
Vurgood Apps
My HD Disc Collection
post #911 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drew224
Is onecall still the only one carrying this DVD player? Any word on when B & M stores will be getting it? I've checked the CC stock recently and it's still not even in our system so I don't know if/when we'll be carrying it.

BB/CC shall not be carrying this player, per Panny salesman I talked to. Only limited dealers. Websites and local shops. Their sales folks can tell u who might carry it. I know in DC Area it is Grafitti Audio(DC)..thats it! Therefore even I ordered it online.
post #912 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZoomAir
hi everyone

i have just ordered the panny s97 with the panny 700(projector), i have an old pioneer dvd with ony scart and s-video so i hope the purshase of the panny s97 wasnt a total waste.

by the way i read someware that panasonic was going to stop using the faroudja chip in the s97, does anyone now something about that. i am ordering mine in europe(sweden) and without the faroudja i will send it back.

Paul is there any way to see if your player has the faroudja chip without opening it up(warrenty reasons), and thanks for the great thread you have started about this player.

These players do u have faroudja chip. Jason (from Onecall) posted the pics earlier on this thread.
post #913 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How does this unit compare to the Bravo D1?
post #914 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mallu2u
These players do u have faroudja chip. Jason (from Onecall) posted the pics earlier on this thread.

The box even has the DCDi by Faroudja logo on it.
post #915 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AkaStp
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

On my Sammy I also keep DNIe on pretty much all the time (except when watching football - the grass gets distracting). In conjunction with sharpness at zero, I find it looks pretty good.
post #916 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RockStrongo
Yep, my HLP is set to zero also.

I also adjusted the sharpness in the dvd player to -3 to reduce that halo effect.

Do you keep DNIe on or off when watching DVDs?
post #917 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 07:19 AM

Paul,

Thanks for all the great work on the S97S and Sony HDMI players. I think I read in one of your posts that you also own either the gx7 or gx300 and would appreciate your feedback on this(or anyone else who can comment from experience).

How is the DVD playback on GX300 and GX7 compared to the new HDMI units? I have a 37 ED Panny and a Panny PTL500U. I get decent performance with using my Sony 5-disk changer DVP-NC685V via component to the plasma but the picture on the projector lacks focus. I see some double-edging that ruins the experience if I concentrate on it. Maybe I can see the imperfections better since it is magnified with the projector.

I need another player and was close to buying the HDMI S97S but found that i can buy a GX7 for similar cash outlay. I would to take advantage of the recording capability of either the gx7 or gx300 but also want excellent playback, if possible. I read somewhere that these units have the same playback capability as the more expensive NS-999ES, but I have not seen this unit in action so this means little to me.

Do you see a substantially better picture with the S97S compared to your GX recorder? I'd rather forego the recording units if the playback is similar to what I already have.

Thanks for any insight on this.

post #918 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 07:20 AM

Rich4av,

I tried to play a couple of PAL region free discs last nite and got scrambled video signals on my TV. Did you do any special adjustment on the S97 to get it to play correctly?.
post #919 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

deekz,

I find the performance of the 'S97 to be better than the 'GX7. The 'S97 has less visible deinterlacing artifacts when compared to the 'GX7.

Paul
post #920 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 07:36 AM

Thanks Paul for your review that pushed me over to this player. Onecall should give you a commission for that, right, Jason.

My quick take on this player. If you already owned a highly rated 480P dvd players liked the Denon 1600, or Panny XP-30, and your TV does a good job of upscaling than you won't get a wow factor with this player. Since I'm upgrading from some cheapy universal players, this player is quite a nice improvement on the PQ. This player after adjustments did give my movies more depth, details, and sharpness. I watched The Fifth Element after the calibration and the images were more vibrant, more HD like. For a player at this price range, I am happy with this purchase, and I doubted that a player that would cost 2x the price is going to give you twice the better picture.
post #921 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're welcome TexGuy! I glad you're enjoying the player.
post #922 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexGuy
Rich4av,

I tried to play a couple of PAL region free discs last nite and got scrambled video signals on my TV. Did you do any special adjustment on the S97 to get it to play correctly?.

It looks like you need a PAL/NTSC converter because the player is outputting the PAL video signal.
post #923 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Just curious,

When I had the Samsung HD931, DCDI was only available through DVI, the component out used a very poor basic type of deinterlacer.

Can the same be said for the S97.

I ask this question because my TV has only one DVI in, i know the S97 has HDMI, (not concerned as the adapter is easily available) but my COMCAST HD cable box is currently using the only one DVI jack i have.

Right now.....I would like to use the S97 as a DCDI component unit, skipping the upconversion part for now.

Can this be done.......does the S97 pass DCDI through component use as well?
post #924 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sango
It looks like you need a PAL/NTSC converter because the player is outputting the PAL video signal.

That is what I'm suspected. I just don't see any special settings on the S97. OTOH, that is why I still keep my universal player around just for this occasion since I have a good deal of PAL and multi region dvds.
post #925 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I'm dense but can someone explain to me how to properly use the Position Memory feature. It seems like you need to manually set the position memory (only 1 position allowed per disc / 5 discs total) by hitting the PM button on the remote at the appropriate point. The player does not automatically remember when you last left off when you hit Stop (like my old sony does) AFAI can tell.

But how do you access the stored position later? If I put a disc in that has a remembered position and hit the PM button it doesn't do anything.

Also this "Preview Chapters" feature when you hit stop and then play to resume and it pops up a message saying "Hit Play to Preview Chapters" or something like that - it just seems to start at the beginning of the disc and didn't do any sort of preview for me. How is this feature supposed to work? Is it supposed to play say the first 10 seconds of each chapter up to the last stop point? How do you get back to that stop point?

This manual has lots of information but is really really disorganized and doesn't explain things too well.
post #926 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by badabing

Can this be done.......does the S97 pass DCDI through component use as well?

I highly doubted. Since DCDI is for upconversion and there will be no upconversion through component, it will not be utilized at all. Your other option is to get the older firmware Zenith 318 player that can do upconversion thru component.
post #927 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexGuy
I highly doubted. Since DCDI is for upconversion and there will be no upconversion through component, it will not be utilized at all. Your other option is to get the older firmware Zenith 318 player that can do upconversion thru component.

I thought DCDi was actually for 3:2 pulldown/deinterlacing, so it takes 480i and converts it to 480p. Not sure if DCDi works for 480p over component, but my guess is that it would.
post #928 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 08:33 AM

I can't believe I missed Monday night football........I got my Pany S97 yesterday from One Call and hooked it up to my Sony RPTV 57" WS500 with the monster adaptor DVI>HDMI and worked like a charm. I reset my tv to factory default and plan on calibrating it later with the DVE or Avia inwhich I have both.

First impression was great with a quick setup of the S97 just to make sure the player was working properly and then the fine tuning did the trick......a little more wow than my Denon 1600 and Xp30. I played Shriek 2 and T2 that were handy to start with. I did notice some pinkess in the black bars in the T2 but hope that the DVE calibration will fix . I used User 1 with brightness +1 and contrast -1 with the DNR to + 4 but did not see any real change noticed......But over all I am pleased with this player........I could not believe how Thin the player is to produce such a good picture. I also tried Queen night of the Opera on DVD A using DTS for sound with video showing and it played very well and the sound was equal with the Denon1600. I did not hook up the 5.1 because I have it hooked up to my Sony SACD player........They need to make a cheap switch so folks can listen to both DVDA and SACD or make recievers with 2 5 channel hook ups....LOL like that will happen....my reciever HK 1001 does not have a HDMI inlet.

Over all the S97 is great for the price and all the features is a plus......Thanks to Paul you have done a super job with this thread and player .....For my 2 cents on a RPTV it works great and can't wait until Hollywood gives its blessing on BlueRay for HD dvd movies.......Changes are happening so quick and who would have believed that DVI would be history after One year......HDMI is here for Now.....Enjoy Bob

Sonyws500 57"RPTV,Pioneer 1014 reciever,HKTW6 Towers Fronts L & R,HKC,HKB6 BRS & BLS ,Inf Entra 2 towers RS,Pany S97 dvd player,Pioneer 420 dvd / wHd dvd recorder,Sammy 160 D*,SonySAWX700 sub
post #929 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EricScott

But how do you access the stored position later? If I put a disc in that has a remembered position and hit the PM button it doesn't do anything.

When the disc is reinserted into the machine, a message will appear on the screen to press "PLAY". Pressing "PLAY" will resume play at the location where the memory button was pressed.

I'll update the first post to have this information.

Paul
post #930 of 4322 Old 11-09-2004, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're welcome Bob. I glad you're happy with the player!

Paul
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page