Sony DVP-NS975V FAQ / Brain dump - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1495 Old 12-20-2004, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here, here. Those with a shorter distance to negotiate can save a little money on cable, but I had the same reaction to my 975V. I can easily live with this picture until I have a good reason to pick up a hi def player. And for those who would doubt that there could be any difference between a straight 480p and a 480p upconverted to 720p or 1080i via DVI or HDMI (I being one of them before becoming a witness), I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised. And I completely agree that the results are comparable to anything broadcast in HD on the premium film stations on satellite/cable, and not just for the negative reason that HD movies on HBO and the like are not the best examples of high resolution that are available at this point.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1495 Old 12-20-2004, 07:56 PM

Thanks guys-my audio problem was solved. I simply moved the connection from LD to another open one and for whatever reason im now getting great 5.1--thanks for the replies. Watched the new widescreen TopGun last night and the upscaling on the unit looked great--first time ive used any upscaling on my new Samsung 5674--wow.

Mike

Panasonic P65VT60
Oppo 105
post #273 of 1495 Old 12-20-2004, 08:50 PM

I returned my 975 today. It is just inexcusable that there is so much reduction of the green when connected to a new model Sony LCD RPTV. The left hand obviously wasn't talking to the right hand at Sony. They should have allowed an option to select for the required colorspace.

Tim
post #274 of 1495 Old 12-20-2004, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's something interesting:

In this post, UMR states that the 975 has an integrated color space converter. (This assumes his link is to the correct HDMI transmitter).

If so, is it possible that some displays don't communicate with the HDMI transmitter correctly -- causing the wrong colorspace to be displayed?

gp
post #275 of 1495 Old 12-20-2004, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are all sorts of settings and patterns in those chips. It's amazing what the general public has no access to. Sony could have programmed those chips to display a test pattern so people could calibrate their TVs.

Oh well....

Paul
post #276 of 1495 Old 12-21-2004, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Tim---Odd that. With my new Sony LCDRP I see no green depression, none at all. This when using the AVIA color bars and the TV in "Pro" mode and comparing between component and HDMI.
post #277 of 1495 Old 12-21-2004, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tom,

Just to be sure, is the player set to output 720p or 1080i via the HDMI?

HDMI and Component are OK because 480i/p is utilized because the SD matrix is used and TVs with that signal will utilize the SD matrix.

The issue can arise when 720p and 1080i via HDMI are used.

Paul
post #278 of 1495 Old 12-21-2004, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Paul---HDMI is set to auto. I fiddled a bit between 720p and 1080i and just decided to take the easy way, which is working well.
post #279 of 1495 Old 12-21-2004, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried "Auto" as well and didn't see a change as far as the HD/SD color matix is concerned, go figure.

A theory might be that certain Sony sets "communicate" with this player and some color settings get changed as a result.

Also it has been reported that some RPTV can have a "green push" that the Sony player might negate that effect.

Paul
post #280 of 1495 Old 12-21-2004, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Bigelow
A theory might be that certain Sony sets "communicate" with this player and some color settings get changed as a result.

Also it has been reported that some RPTV can have a "green push" that the Sony player might negate that effect.

Paul
I tried auto, 480p, 480i, 720p, and 1080i. While I didn't use a calibration tool, I did observe color palates during the change. For every setting, the colors did not appear to change. So, either the SD matrix was consistent throughout these settings or the color space was recognized by my Sony HS20 LCD projector and it made a compensating adjustment.

When I switched between the 975 and the S97, I could detect an increase in green saturation -- though it was not overt.

I reported that many LCD projectors exhibit a green push. Part of the issue relates to the spectrum of light which comes from the projector bulbs. This would imply that DLP should be susceptible to this phenom -- but I've don't recall hearing this observation regarding DLP. Also, I hadn't heard this applies to RPTVs. In fact, I thought most RPTVs are CRT-based. As a result, wouldn't they be immune to this issue?

I have also noticed that my Time Warner HD box does not switch color space correctly. For example, it will output HD shows through the S-Video and composite outputs. But, they are so green, it's laughable. If this is a measure for the difference in HD vs. SD color space, I would describe the difference between the 975 and S97 as considerably less and propose it may be due to another issue (other than color space conversion).

gp
post #281 of 1495 Old 12-22-2004, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just picked up the Sony at Tweeter today. I put in Black Hawk Down Superbit, and the image quality is awesome on my JVC PD42WX84. Hooked it up using a Monster HDMI-DVI adapter and a DVI cable. There is definitely an improvement at 1080i over 720p. I did not notice any green depression, but I'm also slightly red/green color blind, so who knows. . .

The problem is, after about 30 mins, I got the "Tray Locked" sign on the display and the tray would not open. I tried unplugging for 10 min and trying again, but no dice. I took it back to Tweeter and they gave me a new unit, but my disc was still stuck in the old one. They took a screwdriver and just opened the thing up right there on the counter and after a bit of trouble, got the disk out. To get it out, they had to unscrew the entire transport and unplug a litany of internal cables/ribbons. Long story short, it was a pain to get the disk out, and I wouldn't want to do it at home. The guy looked like he was having a hard time getting it all back together, and even then, the tray is still likely to be locked. It seems like this may be a problem with some of these Sony units, although the Tweeter guys said they had not seen it before. Hopefully this new unit will be trouble free.

One other thing I noted is that I suspect there is some type of HDCP handshake issue. If I turn off the DVD player while the TV is on, and I keep the TV on, the DVD player will not power up again. I have to turn the TV off for the DVD player to power up, so it appears I will always have to turn on the DVD player first. A minor annoyance, but certainly not a dealbreaker. Maybe it has to do with the adapter I'm using?

Bottom line - I threw in Black Hawk Down superbit, Spidey 2 superbit, LOTR - Two Towers, and Harry Potter, and they all looked great. I didn't notice any ICP or CUE, and at least for me, I don't notice any green depression. I took the advice here and set the Hue and Color down, and also adjusted the picture and brightness to get BTB. I'm gonna use Avia tomorrow and play around with it some more.
post #282 of 1495 Old 12-22-2004, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I just bought a new Sony KP-57WS520 ---- what do you guys think of this Sony player being the best for my TV in my price range --- $500.00 or less? I want to avoid macroblocking as I've experiened it with the Toshiba dvd/vhs combo player.

Is the green depression an issue with components?

I've read CRT owners may want to avoid upscalers anyway.

I have an HDMI jack ----- is this an advantage over component?

Also, is the green depression an issue with components?

I'm just not sure what to get.:confused:

post #283 of 1495 Old 12-23-2004, 07:19 AM

Asung,

We have the same exact setup - JVC HD plasma and Sony 975, and it appears we have experienced the exact same issues - HDCP handshake (needing to turn on DVD player before TV) and the tray lock problem. I too am already on my second Sony 975 after the first one petered out on me last week.

Keep me posted.
post #284 of 1495 Old 12-23-2004, 07:49 AM

[quote]Originally posted by asung
[b]

One other thing I noted is that I suspect there is some type of HDCP handshake issue. If I turn off the DVD player while the TV is on, and I keep the TV on, the DVD player will not power up again. I have to turn the TV off for the DVD player to power up, so it appears I will always have to turn on the DVD player first. A minor annoyance, but certainly not a dealbreaker. Maybe it has to do with the adapter I'm using?

Hey asung,

This seems odd,I would try a HDMI-DVI cable with no adapter.
Have you tried component cables to see if it does it,hey you never
know it could be a bad unit.
post #285 of 1495 Old 12-23-2004, 02:01 PM

Hoss -

I wondered the same thing about it being a faulty unit, but the same thing happened on the replacement unit. I'm not sure if an HDMI-DVI one piece cable will solve it, but I'm gonna order one and see what happens. It's the same price as the Monster HDMI-DVI adapter, so I might as well get the single cable.

I'm more worried about the Tray Lock issue. Hopefully it's something that won't happen again. Does anyone have the Service Manual for this unit? If so, is there anything in there about the Tray Lock? Maybe there's some easy fix we can do ourselves if it happens.
post #286 of 1495 Old 12-23-2004, 06:35 PM

Finally broke down and got the 975 for my 50WE655. All I can say is i put it up against the 59AVI and there's no way you could justify spending 1,000 more for it. All in all this player is certainly an upgrade from my original Sony player. Looks as good if not better than most of the movies they replay on SHOHD and HBOHD. Haven't really had a chance to tinker with it, resolution is set to auto. Wish my tv had an extra HDMI though, as my 811 also uses the DVI - HDMI. I guess I'll have to manualy swith it until I feel like spending more money on a switcher. I'll post more findings as I tinker with it, but so far I'm much happier when I put a movie in.:)
post #287 of 1495 Old 12-23-2004, 08:24 PM

I've been trying to figure out how to get JPEGs to display fullscreen and can't see a way to do it. It looks like they are displayed in 4:3 mode even though everything is set to 16:9 1280x720.

I just returned a Denon 1910 after running the two side by side for a couple weeks. The one thing that the 1910 had going for it was that I could load up a CD with 1280x720 JPEG pictures and it would display them full screen beautifully. Wish I could get the 975 to do the same thing.

Randy
post #288 of 1495 Old 12-23-2004, 08:35 PM

I just got my 975 hooked up and tweaked out (first pass at least) today, and it looks great! Very happy with it. The sound is great too. I can relaly tell a difference from my pioneer elite 45a over component. BTW, I am going to an HS10 projector HDMI->DVI.
post #289 of 1495 Old 12-23-2004, 09:40 PM

I think it's the child lock. See p. 35 of the manual. The following command sequence on the remote will lock, and also unlock, the tray so that a child can not open it:

RETURN, ENTER, POWER

The term "locked" will appear on the display. Obviously I don't know how the tray becomes locked unintentionally, but if it happens again try the above sequence and see if that allows the tray to open.
post #290 of 1495 Old 12-23-2004, 11:25 PM

It's not the child lock. When the child lock is enabled, the display says "Locked". When the tray lock occurs, the display says "Tray Locked". If you look in the troubleshooting section of the manual, it tells you that if it says "Locked", go look at the child lock section. Right under that it tells you that if it says "Tray Locked", call Sony or an authorized repair center. I tried to unlock the child lock many times and it did nothing to solve the "Tray Locked" problem.

I'm not sure what the "Tray Locked" means internally, but I did notice that the transport did not have a simple mechanism for opening the tray. Perhaps the "Tray Locked" has something to do with a malfunctioning child lock? I dunno.
post #291 of 1495 Old 12-24-2004, 08:07 AM

I see now...didn't read down far enough on the troubleshooting page. I've had the opposite problem with the tray, it wouldn't close completely and then locked with the word "close" on the display. I unplugged and then powered up again and it closed fully and has worked fine since. It's a little disconcerting since it was less than a week old at the time. Hope these bugs don't become major.
post #292 of 1495 Old 12-24-2004, 08:24 AM

I just received my Sony 975. It is hooked up to the DVI port on my Hitachi 51swx20b using an HDMI to DVI cable I bought on eBay. The Sony 975 is upscaling to 1080i and is setup as recommended (Picture -2, Brightness -2). Using a DVE test disk, I can verify this combo passes BTB. I will try other settings when I have more time.

Checking the color using AVIA, the green is depressed. This is nearly identical to a Zenith 318 I used to own which reportedly sent out the 1080i signal using SD color space. I can compensate by boosting the green output in the Hitachi's color decoder. The change is made via the service menu and requires nearly the max setting available.

I only watched one movie so far, but it looked great. Of course, I'll try to tweak it some more to see if I can make it even better. I am so very happy to be rid of the macroblocking that the Zenith 318 produced.
post #293 of 1495 Old 12-24-2004, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Jim,

I also own the Hitachi 51swx20b. (Great RPTV). I assume you know, the native resolution of this TV is 720. Therefore, I would recommend upconverting to 720p. That way the TV doesn't have to down-convert.

(And, I think it may be the best HDMI output resolution of the Sony anyway. Also, why upconvert -- if you're going to let your TV scale it back down?)

Also, I'd love to adjust the green on my set. Could you explain how to enter the service menu and make this tweak!?

Thanks
gp
post #294 of 1495 Old 12-24-2004, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RCBrust
I've been trying to figure out how to get JPEGs to display fullscreen and can't see a way to do it. It looks like they are displayed in 4:3 mode even though everything is set to 16:9 1280x720.

Randy
The 975 has the ability to detect a widescreen/full "flag". Though I'm not sure which way that works, the result can be the wrong display -- if the flag is not present. (So, I'm guessing widescreen/anamorphic features are what sends this flag and JPEGs don't have it).

On the same menu where you choose 16:9 -- and the resolution -- there is an option to display 4:3 material either "normal" or "full". Choose "full". Let me know if that does what you're looking for.

Normally, I think you want the "normal" setting. That way 4:3 movies automatically display with black bars on the side of a widescreen TV.

gp
post #295 of 1495 Old 12-24-2004, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

According to the WSR of the 975, it improperly outputs HD RGB color space into DVI, when DVI inputs for DVD should have SD color space. Ths accounts for your color problems.
post #296 of 1495 Old 12-24-2004, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Whitehead
According to the WSR of the 975, it improperly outputs HD RGB color space into DVI, when DVI inputs for DVD should have SD color space. Ths accounts for your color problems.
Paul Bigelow (and others in this thread) are reporting SD color space via HDMI. If the unit CAN display HD/SD color space, maybe communication errors with some displays is causing the improper selection to occur. WSR's report of an HD matrix may be evidence that the unit is capable of both HD/SD color transmission.

If not, I'd expect SD over DVI -- if that's what HDMI is outputting. (I would be a major goof to display HD over DVI and SD over HDMI, don't you think?)

gp
post #297 of 1495 Old 12-24-2004, 11:26 AM

Gregg,

I sent you a PM.

Actually, I did not know that the Hitachi was 720p native, I'll give it a try.

Jim
post #298 of 1495 Old 12-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I hope someone can answer this one....

Have any of you guys owned a RP91 before getting this sony player?

I ask this question, because i noticed that this sony player failed the bad edit test, and like the RP91, it displays that awful combing artifact.

I like this player, but hope it is not just a RP91 with HDMI... meaning, a great player picture wise, but with the distracting combing.

So.... i guess what i am realy asking.. does this player comb as much and as often as the RP91 did... why or why not?
post #299 of 1495 Old 12-24-2004, 02:31 PM

Gee, even though I owned an RP-91 before the 975V, I was never bothered a whole lot by its de-interlacing effects. For one thing, it tended to be fed the kind of high-quality material that the Genesis chip could handle with relative ease. But the possibility remains that I may not have registered its little failures as often as they occurred. In fact, I was more than happy with its performance. Nor have I seen anything as yet from the Sony that makes me cringe. Again, it's possible that I'm missing the combing, or that I haven't run into the type of disk that brings it out. Whatever misgivings that you had about the RP-91 that also occur in the 975V would be purely coincidental, since that particular Panasonic used the Genesis chip (unlike the later RP-56, which went to Faroudja), whereas, from what I understand, the Sony uses a proprietary chip. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. Of course if the Sony also uses a combination of flag and cadence detection, then it's possible that it could behave like the RP-91 nonetheless, but, as I said, I haven't empirically noticed anything that makes me want to return mine, by a longshot. Some people, however, are more susceptible to such flaws than others.

Ed
post #300 of 1495 Old 12-24-2004, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Does anyone find the pixel cropping to be an issue or noticable with the 975?

Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page