AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Bigelow
Greg,

The '975s picture and brighness controls interact, just like they do with the Momitsu V880. I'm not fond of this arrangement as user can result in multiple settings that would appear, at quick glance, of having nearly the same results.

Paul
Huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1495 Old 01-30-2005, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidHir
You definitely want -2 for Picture and Brightness on MANUAL -- you can clearly see this on the Avia test patterns.
Thanks for confirming this. I'll have to go check and see if I did it right. BTW: Does the -2 change on picture end up with an overall darkening of the picture? If not, I wonder wonder why it's negative. If so, why does brightness need to be lower -- in order to avoid crushing whites? :confused:

gp
post #543 of 1495 Old 01-30-2005, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i have the same questions as GreggPenn. i am seeing a markedly DARKER picture when i make the recommended adjustments, and definitely less information in the darker areas. it's almost like i'm ADDING black crush when i go -2 on picture and brightness.

like i said, i am getting my DVE disc back soon but i imagine that even if i see the blacker-than-black on the recommended settings, i will keep everything at STANDARD because it approaches HD detail on good dvd's at this setting.
post #544 of 1495 Old 01-30-2005, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Brightness affects black level and BTB. Contrast affects white level and white crushing. By making them each -2 on this mode, you avoid both of these problems. All you have to do it plug in DVE or AVIA and you can see it for yourself on the test patterns. It's like flipping a switch to see the crushing disappear or reappear with clicks on your remote.

Definitely make sure you are using DVE or Avia (I prefer Avia)

post #545 of 1495 Old 01-30-2005, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

what about -1 on both settings? will that help minimize the black/white crush issue?

i really don't like how it looks at -2.....i tried about 7 or 8 of my favorite discs and they all looked phenomenal at STANDARD defaults. they started looking a little drab at -2. this is with a very carefully calibrated projector on a 106" screen.... like i said, i specifically picked dvd's with a lot of shadow detail (Blade 2, Sleepy Hollow, etc). i have seen black crush on this projector with the samsung 841, and this 975 couldn't be farther from that kind of picture. it even has better and more detailed black levels than my other 2 dvd players (bravo d2 and panasonic rp91). i almost don't want to run DVE when i get the disc back!

i think my projector might be expecting PC dvi levels - might this account for why things look so good when i just leave it alone?

i trust you guys know what's up with this player. i am sure i will find the same when i run DVE, i just wonder if for my setup, with things looking as good as they are with the 975, i might just leave it as it is regardless. i have even had company (and my wife) who don't normally notice these things comment on the picture quality of dvd and how they thought it was HD, which never happened before.

oleus
post #546 of 1495 Old 01-30-2005, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As with any suggestion of settings -- it is just a guide. Unless one has the exact same TV and player that are calibrated just the same, using someone else's settings is definitely hit or miss.

The suggestion of -2 for both brightness and picture (as was needed for my display) was mainly to draw attention to the possibility of a need for player adjustment should one be concerned that black is being crushed when the '975 is first connected to the display.

Paul
post #547 of 1495 Old 01-30-2005, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

paul -

thanks for the info. i guess i should stop worrying whether i have it "right" or not and realize how lucky i am to finally have a dvd player that looks really good on my projector. i had just about given up on DVD with all the HD i've been watching, and now a well-compressed DVD on my setup finally has the wow factor i was afraid i could never acheive.

is anyone else in this thread using the 975 with an Infocus projector? just curious if their findings are similar to mine......

now that i know i'm going to keep it i'd better start collecting some SACD - i already had almost 2 dozen dual-format releases (like the Bob Dylan reissues, 75% of which are just 2-channel SACD but still sound amazing)....listening to these are a revelation on the 975!

i will still run DVE when i get it back just to see what's really going on with my setup but i doubt i will change the settings, regardless of the BTB tests.

oleus
post #548 of 1495 Old 01-31-2005, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by oleus
repdetect

i'm keeping it at the default settings. it looks great that way. it looks so much better than the 2 previous dvi players i'd been using (samsung and bravo). remarkably so.

oleus-

My tv, 46"-520, looks great at Default on both the tv and 975. I did a few very minor setup changes with DVE on both and now just alter for personal taste. I also find the Pro setting to be too dark for some programming (Carnivale)

Nice to get something that works so well out of the box.

Now let's hope our 975's will keep working. I'm on my second one!

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #549 of 1495 Old 01-31-2005, 07:55 AM

[quote]Originally posted by oleus
[b]paul -

now that i know i'm going to keep it i'd better start collecting some SACD - i already had almost 2 dozen dual-format releases (like the Bob Dylan reissues, 75% of which are just 2-channel SACD but still sound amazing)....listening to these are a revelation on the 975!

I also have the Dylan SCAD's, they're a revelation.

Have you listened to the remastered Dark Side.... in SACD? Incredible!

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

post #550 of 1495 Old 01-31-2005, 07:59 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Paul Bigelow
[b]As with any suggestion of settings -- it is just a guide. Unless one has the exact same TV and player that are calibrated just the same, using someone else's settings is definitely hit or miss.

Great point Paul.

Post this line up every couple of days.

I have a 46'/520 and a 975. I get BTB via HDMI to HDMI on all settings ( re DVE).

I don't know how Secrets tested this unit, but their results are misleading a lot of people.

post #551 of 1495 Old 01-31-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Repdetect
I don't know how Secrets tested this unit, but their results are misleading a lot of people. [/b]
Widescreen Review also reports that the player does not pass BTB via HDMI (or DVI). But, even so, that is hardly a game breaker, not even for Secrets or WSR. Both are favorably disposed to the 975v. It's an unfortunate choice of words for Secrets to classify the absence of BTB under the heading of "failure."

Ed
post #552 of 1495 Old 01-31-2005, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

repdetect -

i have heard DSOTM in sacd, just this weekend....knocked me out!
post #553 of 1495 Old 01-31-2005, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Widescreen Review also reports that the player does not pass BTB via HDMI (or DVI).
Another incorrect report about the player. I suspect what is happening with many of these reviews is everything is left in "STANDARD" mode and the player fails the test in this mode. Manipulating the player's settings in "MEMORY" is the mode to use.

post #554 of 1495 Old 01-31-2005, 12:44 PM

I'm not endorsing the WR position, mind you, since I haven't made any attempt to verify it, but I just happen to have the review in front of me. The reviewer acknowledges that the 975V permits manipulation of its black level in the menu; he just doesn't recommend it: "The DVP-NS975V HDMI (and DVI) output signals will not produce values below black (16), therefore, the below-black PLUGE signals on Video Essentials won’t be seen unless the black level is raised by using the DVD player’s Brightness control, which you obviously don’t want to do."
post #555 of 1495 Old 01-31-2005, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oleus
repdetect -

i have heard DSOTM in sacd, just this weekend....knocked me out!
I also liked the latest Peter Gabriel and the Beck SACD. Both multichannel.

Miles' Kind of Blue is interesting as well as sounding great. It's a 3 track master. Sony got the dimensions of the original studio, calculated the reverb time and added to the rear channels.

post #556 of 1495 Old 01-31-2005, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

after hours of tweaking this morning (still without DVE) i have settled on -1 for brightness and picture. i was on the defaults but an indepth viewing of COLLATERAL clearly showed shadow detail at that setting I was missing somewhat on the defaults.

why does Widescreen Review frown upon the player's picture controls? if adjusting them means seeing BTB, why do they consider this a bad thing (they say "this is something you obviously don't want to do".

if it makes the picture better, why would they say that?
post #557 of 1495 Old 01-31-2005, 06:28 PM

I don't think that the reviewer meant to disparage the Sony's tone controls out of hand or slap your hands away from them even if they improve the picture. His point is that if you start monkeying with the brightness control just to see the BTB pluge signals on DVE, you will definitely harm, rather than help, your picture.
post #558 of 1495 Old 01-31-2005, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by liberatusvirus
I don't think that the reviewer meant to disparage the Sony's tone controls out of hand or slap your hands away from them even if they improve the picture. His point is that if you start monkeying with the brightness control just to see the BTB pluge signals on DVE, you will definitely harm, rather than help, your picture.
In other words, if you raise the brightness, WSR assumes you will be introducing white crush and/or compromising the picture in some other way -- in order to gain BTB information. While this idealism could be considered theoretically true, it would take measurements to confirm or deny their assumption. And, making the assumption with supporting measurements is nowhere near obvious.

I feel that there may be some variation from unit to unit and from display to display. Saying it's obvious that you shouldn't touch customization controls makes me want to shake my head.

gp

FYI: I'm just expanding on the comment quoted. My comment is strictly directed to WSR.
post #559 of 1495 Old 02-01-2005, 12:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Gregg,

I agree 100%.

post #560 of 1495 Old 02-01-2005, 09:29 AM

SONY CANADA PULLS ALL 975 PLAYERS FROM STORES.
I just found out yesterday that Sony has pulled all Dvd players 975 from the Sony Stores displays and shelves. They have been asked to send all units back to warehouse.
I tried to find out more information but nobody seems to know what the reason is.
There is no information if a new set of players will be replacing them or if the current 975 players will be fixed in some way.

Does anyone know about this?
post #561 of 1495 Old 02-01-2005, 09:34 AM

Are we talking about feeling comfortable knowing we are calibrated properly yet not liking the results, or adjusting PQ to what our personal impression of favorable results are? Seems to me one wants a PQ they like and view as good vs some mental comfort knowing the PQ is "calibrated" according to whatever, but doesn't quite look right to our individual taste. Sometimes I think we all get too wrapped up in this calibration stuff when all we did was spend top dollar for what we percieve as a good picture for the medium we, family & friends are watching. Hmmm.
post #562 of 1495 Old 02-01-2005, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The forum is a combination of people who want a good picture and video enthusiasts that demand perfection and there's room for both.

Just like cars -- some people want comfortable transportation, some strive for a high-performance vehicle, forget comfort. Sometimes it's difficult for one side to see the other's point of view but if they work together sometimes something even better results.

In the end, both sides can advance "the cause".

Paul
post #563 of 1495 Old 02-01-2005, 10:03 AM

Well put. Thanks Paul. (Yes I was "trolling")
post #564 of 1495 Old 02-01-2005, 10:06 AM

So any confirmation on Sony pulling this player? I was just about to buy one.
post #565 of 1495 Old 02-01-2005, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Buck's SCSW
So any confirmation on Sony pulling this player? I was just about to buy one.
Same here, I was looking at it and the S97. If Sony is going to pull it, I'll go with the S97.
post #566 of 1495 Old 02-01-2005, 10:47 AM

I just came back from the Sony Store in Eaton Centre (Toronto).
I asked one of the sales people about the 975 issue and had no idea.
I spoke with the manager of the store and he told me they are not allowed to sell it anymore even though he's got 5 in stock (in the back).
He couldn't provide any other details as to why or if new line coming out.

I don't know about US....but this is the news in Toronto...
post #567 of 1495 Old 02-01-2005, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CORRY
I just came back from the Sony Store in Eaton Centre (Toronto).
I asked one of the sales people about the 975 issue and had no idea.
I spoke with the manager of the store and he told me they are not allowed to sell it anymore even though he's got 5 in stock (in the back).
He couldn't provide any other details as to why or if new line coming out.

I don't know about US....but this is the news in Toronto...
Sonystyle.com shows the product, but won't allow you to order it when you put it in your cart.

Don
post #568 of 1495 Old 02-01-2005, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

that's weird about the recall.

any chance there is some easy way to make this multiregion and someone figured it out, causing the recall?
post #569 of 1495 Old 02-01-2005, 08:29 PM

Bought a 2 year extended warranty from Ultimate Electronics on my 975 today. The policy, which cost $59, doubles the original warranty, plus will give me a full purchase price refund anytime in the 2 years, to be applied to another DVD player at UE. Hopefully, UE will stay in business, (they filed Chapter 11 a few weeks ago), because the extra warranty peace of mind, coupled with the ability to use this one free of charge, until the HD-DVD players are out in full force, made it a pretty good move for $59.
post #570 of 1495 Old 02-01-2005, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've had about 3 picture dropouts with the player; the first two were extremely brief (maybe 1/2 second). However, tonight, I experienced it for about 15 seconds before the picture came back. The audio still played -- I'm guessing it's the player. I haven't noticed this watching regular TV.

Has anyone encountered this with the player?

Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page